Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Roof Rack

Any of u guys added a roof rack for bikes? Im looking to add one and am looking for the best, safest, sturdiest option. Im thinking Thule but was wondering if anyone had done anything else? TIA
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM

2010 C63
Have you looked at the Mercedes OEM rack?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 AM

C63
Yup, I'm running the ones from MB. They are made by Thule but designed especially for the C63.

They are awesome.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
And they are ridiculously priced

I currently toss my mountain bike in the trunk after putting the seats down.. the material covering the inside of the trunk is no different then any other car.. just need to be careful putting it in and pulling it out to not clip the body... (that and I have issues putting a $6k+ bike on the roof of a car, other then theft, stones, dirt, poorly labeled low parking garage's or bridges)

Even if you lock the bike rack, it is rather easy to rip off roof racks and dmg the car, at least with tow hitch mounts, its a little harder... but no real tow hitch options in the US for the C63....

I take my wifes car if I need to move more then 1 bike (I have 5.. heh...)
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
And they are ridiculously priced

I currently toss my mountain bike in the trunk after putting the seats down.. the material covering the inside of the trunk is no different then any other car.. just need to be careful putting it in and pulling it out to not clip the body... (that and I have issues putting a $6k+ bike on the roof of a car, other then theft, stones, dirt, poorly labeled low parking garage's or bridges)

Even if you lock the bike rack, it is rather easy to rip off roof racks and dmg the car, at least with tow hitch mounts, its a little harder... but no real tow hitch options in the US for the C63....

I take my wifes car if I need to move more then 1 bike (I have 5.. heh...)
Yeah thats not an option snce I have my wifes bike and mine - and its aminly taken on trips where Im storing stuff in the trunk anyways. As for theft, Im not worried about that bc i never stop on road trips.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by CC63CC
Yup, I'm running the ones from MB. They are made by Thule but designed especially for the C63.

They are awesome.
u minf if i ask what you paid? I looked it up - all in for me with wind deflector and 2 bike mounts looked like $650ish. This is direct from my bike shop who works with my dealer Benzel Busch installing bike racks.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That sounds about right, almost the same price when you price it directly from Thule. You can also try the Yakima web site, similarly priced, just depends on which style and the look you want to go along with the beastly car

Ideally, you want a set that can go on and off easily, preferably tool less, so you dont have to leave it on when the bikes are not in use, but I do not know how well those little plastic cover flaps will handle constant use....
Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
That sounds about right, almost the same price when you price it directly from Thule. You can also try the Yakima web site, similarly priced, just depends on which style and the look you want to go along with the beastly car

Ideally, you want a set that can go on and off easily, preferably tool less, so you dont have to leave it on when the bikes are not in use, but I do not know how well those little plastic cover flaps will handle constant use....
yea no chance I leave this thing on regularly -

Curious what the difference is buying a regular Thule rack that fits the C63 or buying the one specifically made for the C63. Im assuming the C class one has been around for a few years - looks like the Thule that was suggeted to me was the "latest and greatest".
Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is no real difference, the one sold by MB is made by Thule, just for OEM applications, and maybe some logo's, hardware wise, they are identical.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63 AMG
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just got a Saris Bones 3 trunk rack for my C63 for like $120. You can get it in a 2 or 3 bike model. My thinking was that it is easier to put bikes on, maintains a much lower profile/lighter weight than other types of racks, easier to install (takes about 5 minutes); and w/ the rubber foot pads and strap anchors, should not damage the paint. Also, depending on how you install it, you can still open your trunk.

Now the real question is: what kind of bike is everybody running?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do not.. I repeat.. Do not use a trunk rack.. I looked into it a while back, it does not matter how expensive the rack is, and how cushy the rubber padding is, sand, dirt and other gritty substances will get under them, and acts like sand paper (even if you use a towel between the rack and the car). It's a VW or something else, sure.. not on your MB :P

That, and with trunk racks, while 1 bike is fine, 2 bikes, and they tend to bang togethor, also the potential to smack into the car under hard braking since only the top tube is held in place, the bike can swing.

As for bikes.. umm..

Gary Fisher Paragon (my first Cross Country bike in 96.. frankenmonster bike now)
Niner RIP9 (Cross Country)
Specialized Enduro SX Trail (Downhill/Freeride)
Jamis Nova Pro (Cyclocross bike - Wifes)
Giant TCX 1 (Cyclocross bike - mine)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by PatSC23
Curious what the difference is buying a regular Thule rack that fits the C63 or buying the one specifically made for the C63.
I am guessing that the difference will be in the upper bar design - a universal rack will have a wider top bar that allows it to fit a variety of roof widths, whereas the OEM solution has a fixed-width bar that is sized exactly for the C-Class.

The anchor points on the roof appear to be the same across all current MBs.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63 AMG
Points all well taken as they appear written from experience. I forgot to mention I also have a minivan where I can put my bike inside for longer trips, inclement weather. I'd use my trunk rack for short trips from home to the trail, etc. Based on what you wrote, I'd consider strategically placing some electrical tape or painter's tape on the painted areas where the anchors would be -- that should do the job.

Done w/ hijacking!

Do not.. I repeat.. Do not use a trunk rack.. I looked into it a while back, it does not matter how expensive the rack is, and how cushy the rubber padding is, sand, dirt and other gritty substances will get under them, and acts like sand paper (even if you use a towel between the rack and the car). It's a VW or something else, sure.. not on your MB :P

That, and with trunk racks, while 1 bike is fine, 2 bikes, and they tend to bang togethor, also the potential to smack into the car under hard braking since only the top tube is held in place, the bike can swing.

As for bikes.. umm..

Gary Fisher Paragon (my first Cross Country bike in 96.. frankenmonster bike now)
Niner RIP9 (Cross Country)
Specialized Enduro SX Trail (Downhill/Freeride)
Jamis Nova Pro (Cyclocross bike - Wifes)
Giant TCX 1 (Cyclocross bike - mine)
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thick vinyl electrical tape would work, just clean the surface area really well in advance.

You still have not answer the primary question... what bikes do you have
Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I think Mercedes sells an OEM rack, not too sure. If they do, that would be your best choice IMO.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The OEM one is the same as the Thule one, as they make them for MB, only difference is, as the previous poster noted, the load bars will go between the posts, rather then extend slightly beyond the posts on the aftermarket ones.

When I priced it, the Thule one, with all the hardware, and lock kit, including 1 bike mount came to around $600. I believe the MB oem rack system is around $500, and then any bike rack that mounts to aero bars would be sufficient, they range from $100 to $300, depending on the style.

That said, from a cost standpoint, it looks like a wash, as both will cost around the same.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Yea so Im leaning towards the regular Thule one as opposed to the OEM MB Thule rack - definitely for the roof either way. Im also leaning towards a fork mount since it seems sturdier.

Gonna go with the newer oval bars as opposed to the square as it looks a bit nicer. With two carriers, locks and wind diffuser its looking like $700ish, which is fine by me since I should recoup half when Im done.

As for bikes, I have a Cannondale Jeckyll and my wife just got a Cannondale Carbon Synapse - its amazing how light these things have gotten.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Just an fyi - ordered the Thule set today for the C63 - all in $792 for the top of the line Thule components.

Heres what I got -

460R Rapid Podium Foot Pack (1)
RB47 Rapid Aero Load Bar Pair (1)
Kit 3049
518 Echelon Fork Mounted carrier (2)
Xadapt9
872XT Fairing 44"
6-Pack of cylinder locks for the base and bikes

Just in case anyone was interested - there are cheaper options for the Thule carriers - so $792 is probably the most you would pay.

I ordered from rackattack.com - 10% off, no tax (no retail store in NJ) and free shipping.

Will post up pics when I get it.

Hope this helps anyone looking
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 PM

C63
Guys... Thule is definately the way to go...

Here is my setup.
Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack-img_0503.jpg   Roof Rack-img_0505.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
Doe anyone know if the CL-203 roof rack the right rack for our cars (2012)?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
CC63CC, with MB racks, can you take a close up shot of how it connects to the car please. I know it connects to the lug under the flip up plastic hatch, but does any part of the rubber base touch the car? I'm looking at some Thule racks and they connect but have a rubber base. In the past, I had racks on another car and dust got in between the rubber and the car and over time, it wore the paint slightly.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
I bought the MB ones and thankfully got them discounted to less than what the Thule ones were selling for. For anyone trying to decide between the genuine MB or Thule aftermarket, the MB product wins hands down. I fitted and removed both racks to my car. The MB ones are so much simpler. With the Thule ones it's a 2 stage process. First you have to screw a double ended bolt into each lug in the roof channel. You then have to attach the rack to each lug. And as discussed above the MB ones sit just above the roof with nothing touching the paintwork. The Thule ones they were selling for C Class had rubber pads touching the paintwork.