Pics of my new Bolt-on Eurotech headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
Going slightly OT since you mentioned about hot intake air. As I mentioned in another thread, we also need some kind of shielding placed between the bottom of the airbox and exhaust manifold in addition to a vented hood. Anyone ever touched the bottom of that blistering hot airbox bottom after a drive? Evosport did say they have some sort of shielding for the Stage 2 (or something like that) but didn't say if it was available separately.
Staying off-topic, browse the product selection here:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/index.php

I'm thinking of using this on the airbox:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/cool_foil_tape.php
Old 09-12-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bhamg
Staying off-topic, browse the product selection here:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/index.php

I'm thinking of using this on the airbox:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/cool_foil_tape.php
You and I can talk about this between ourselves later. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by superlubricity
Excellent. Be sure to show all the before and after data.

I'm not making claims, I'm sharing information. The manifolds I tested made ~15 RWHP/TQ. When I added catless 2.5" downpipes they did not show marked improvement on the dyno but did pick up 1.5MPH in the 1/4-mile up top. The posts I linked you to above cover it in great detail.

Very true. This might be the the root cause here, especially if the drive-train % loss is unusually high.

I look forward to seeing the data.
this is an old topic but because I'm doing the research for my header options I looked into it again. When you mentioned the 2.5" catless downpipes with I believe you were using PLM headers, I believe it was still bottleneck at their collector at 2.1 so you're only gaining the benefit of having no cats, for more flow, but still less diameter. I think the PLM have small openings to the downpipes which is why they have less HP gains vs the Eurotech.

If someone is to look at Log/Manifold options they should compare the runner lengths and collector to downpipe where it should be at least 2.5-2.75 in diameter going out of the manifold like the eurotech ones.

I was told the problem with the stock manifold is the outlet opening and each runner size, aside from gaining the added benefit of having the airflow dynamics of having runners to separate flow from head of engine before they intersect and counter the pull effect velocity as is the case of the LTH.

I am looking at possibly using Thunder Headers which have a 2.75 collector and 1.75" individual runners to the log, then use 200 cell race cats. My goal is to have the stock configuration type exhaust setup with 4 high flow cats, and so far I find only log style headers like these will be my only option in keeping it that way. In short I look to gain more flow by opening the size of the runners, collectors and high flow cats, and hopefully the only additional gain I am cut short is benefit of LTH, and losing a few cats. Unfortunately to have this car pass with smog in CA, I cannot do that so I hope to end up somewhere between having the PLM headers or Eurotech header setup, and LTH catless headers. If PLM dynos at 15hp just with that added gain of slightly bigger pipes, hopefully I gain 30hp with those mentioned above I will be happy with the balanced compromise.

One thing I also was told is most of those that are talking about LTH headers do gain lots of hp on this car without cats, but they sacrifice losing a bit of low end, and that does sacrifice a bit of drivability of everyday unless you want to keep driving fast all the time. Having the balanced of having some backpressure with having some cats will give enough low end power to feel drivable in the 10-45mph range in city driving or going up and down inclines. Believing this as well, I am going this direction in trying to mod my exhaust system to get the best balance performance for everyday driving without sacrificing long term ability of my car to be driven in CA without hassle of failing visuals. In fact it may cost me even more than simply bolting on LTH headers, but I want to do it right for my needs.

Last edited by ruey220; 04-20-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It is too bad that Kleemann stopped selling their log manifolds. That sounds like what you are looking for.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by Sincity
It is too bad that Kleemann stopped selling their log manifolds. That sounds like what you are looking for.
you're correct, I just don't know what the size difference with the individual tubes are and to the collector going to the DP. with this design larger the better for it to dump out the exhaust. No matter what you won't get any scavenging effect on log style anyway. And you probably can't go too big on them since the space you're working on is too small anyway.

I think it is still is a good compromise for those who don't want to balance trying to get the most out of their cars without losing any of the smog ability of the cars or the everyday drivability.