Nov. 2010 Automobile Mag article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Nov. 2010 Automobile Mag article

Another M3 vs. C63 article. They do have both cars in arrest-me-red, so that's a plus. You can probably guess who wins and why... Damn track tests...
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
JESUS CHRIST, how many more M3 vs C63 articles are they gonna do???!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E46 M3, '09 C63
I've always been a BMW fan and have never learned how to appreciate MB until just recently when I test drove and bought the C63!

It's really the how the cars are tested in magazines that makes one think that BMW is always the best. But in reality, BMW just fits very well in the tests used...and the test used are not always a representation of what we want in a car!

I'm still happy w my BMW and decided to keep an e46 m3 for the long term but I am glad I "discovered" the real talents of an AMG!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10' C63, 99' 4Runner 250K miles!
Originally Posted by justthebest
Another M3 vs. C63 article. They do have both cars in arrest-me-red, so that's a plus. You can probably guess who wins and why... Damn track tests...
They said, "If every day was a track day, I'd probably go with the M3, but in the real world, I just connected more with the C63."

My take on that, is that if all that matters to you is track times then go for the BMW, if you want the best car for driving on the street go for the C63. I bought a C63 because I drive on roads, not tracks. If my primary concern was for track times I would by a race car, not a street legal sedan.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 AM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
I really don't get it, who cares about a track comparo between STOCK cars and making that your ultimate benchmark. If your going to track your car, it will most likely be modded. to some extent. Mods will be in the range of better tires, (an equalizer) and in the case of the C63 it will be tuned to uncork the power taken away at the factory, there are not similar gains in a tuned M3. Short of adding FI to the M, the C63 will best an M3 on the track in the Real world with the increased power thats just a tweak away. Just saying that mods which keep either car well within the orignal design limits of the car, I think we'd see different results accross the board.

How about the magazines start comparing cars of owners?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG
Sounds like a great idea.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I drove the C63 w/ P31, E63 and SL63 today on the course at El Toro Airfield. It's like I told the AMG guys...for handling: M3 "10," C63 "9," for power M3 "10," C63 "12." WINNER: C63. IMHO.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I presume the M3 was fitted with the competition package which includes PS Cup tires. They are a game changer all by them selves and the C63 would have no chance on a road course with stock rubber. However a set of R888's levels the table quite a bit and KW v3s would really up the ante.

MB really hasn't shown any interest in matching the M3's track prowess as they seem to be catering to a slightly different clientele. But it would be nice to have a factory C63 with more influence from the CLK BS rather than the E class.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 AM

09 C63
Originally Posted by PetroleumGuy
I bought a C63 because I drive on roads, not tracks. If my primary concern was for track times I would by a race car, not a street legal sedan.
+1
Old 10-10-2010, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I finally got my Automobile magazine and read the article today. That was really just filler material. Must have been a really slow month in the creative ideas department.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c63AMG
I went to El toro event too yesterday and it really show me how little i've been pushing my c63. Out of e,c and sl63 I still pick c63 any day. It really made me a proud owner of an amazing car. Thanks AMG.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by justthebest
M3 vs C63

=

Scalpel vs Sledgehammer

Both can be fun
Old 10-11-2010, 01:20 AM

E55 AMG
I don't live in an area with all that much car enthusiasm other than muscle cars and don't really hit the "twisties" very much or the track at all. So... I was just wondering if some of you could help me out with a question that has been bothering me for some time now. M3 always wins the track test and BMW owners always argue to take it to the twisties and see who wins.

My question is this - Are there really that many people that can handle these cars to their full tracking potential? Drag racing is easy and the C63 is the obvious winner. Just seems like people want to race the track or the twisties because they read in a magazine that their car is faster but can the owner actually drive it to the limit? It just seems that both of these cars would highly out perform MY driving ability anyway.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG
I really don't get it, who cares about a track comparo between STOCK cars and making that your ultimate benchmark. If your going to track your car, it will most likely be modded. to some extent. Mods will be in the range of better tires, (an equalizer) and in the case of the C63 it will be tuned to uncork the power taken away at the factory, there are not similar gains in a tuned M3. Short of adding FI to the M, the C63 will best an M3 on the track in the Real world with the increased power thats just a tweak away. Just saying that mods which keep either car well within the orignal design limits of the car, I think we'd see different results accross the board.

That's very true, the only guy I know who tracks a stock car has a GT3 RS! Also if you are speaking of only track times, the track itself is a huge factor. The C63 will beat the M3 on certain tracks (ex: Mosport) but will lose on shorter and tighter tracks. The bottom line is still that the guy in the M3 revving besides you at the light will eat your dust 9 times out of 10.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
Originally Posted by PetroleumGuy
I bought a C63 because I drive on roads, not tracks. If my primary concern was for track times I would by a race car, not a street legal sedan.
Well said!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 PM

E46 M3, '09 C63
Originally Posted by snail45
My question is this - Are there really that many people that can handle these cars to their full tracking potential? Drag racing is easy and the C63 is the obvious winner. Just seems like people want to race the track or the twisties because they read in a magazine that their car is faster but can the owner actually drive it to the limit? It just seems that both of these cars would highly out perform MY driving ability anyway.
I've had a lot of experience in my local track racing FWD touring cars and have been in competition a few times. I've brought my M3 to the track a couple of times, and i have to say that I am still not sure I am wringing out the car close to it's max. Had the car in M-track mode the whole time. I personally don't think many can get the full potential of the M3....

Although considering both drivers are evenly skilled, the M3 probably will still have the advantage on the twisties. But if both drivers have not visited the track at all, or have done only a few events then i would argue that the c63 has the advantage.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 AM

98 E430 & 06 C230
food for thought?

seeing how the crowd here obviously prefers the c63 over m3 , i can't help but ask what is deficient in a m3 on a normal road surface that makes it not as good as a c63?

both cars have similar pricing, they both can have similar options and modding capability seems similar as well so the question is how does one decide upon these two great cars? i will be taking the plunge soon and have been in the debate for a time myself. I'm debating between the c63 and the 4 door m3 fyi...

thoughts?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by alan16828
seeing how the crowd here obviously prefers the c63 over m3 , i can't help but ask what is deficient in a m3 on a normal road surface that makes it not as good as a c63?

both cars have similar pricing, they both can have similar options and modding capability seems similar as well so the question is how does one decide upon these two great cars? i will be taking the plunge soon and have been in the debate for a time myself. I'm debating between the c63 and the 4 door m3 fyi...

thoughts?
Drive both cars and the absence of torque on the M3 is depressing. It makes me think of an expensive s2000. Great steering response but it needs high rpms to be actually fun.

Then you jump on the C63 and the slowness of the tranny is depressing as well. But at least for me torque > shift speed. That's why I drive a C63.

As far as handling there is only a minority of drivers that can push either cars to their limit. That being said this should be a non factor in your decision making. The M3 does have more electronic gadgets. Styling and interior looks are all subjective. Both are awesome cars but they have different strengths and weakness.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM

98 E430 & 06 C230
Originally Posted by arctichaze
Drive both cars and the absence of torque on the M3 is depressing. It makes me think of an expensive s2000. Great steering response but it needs high rpms to be actually fun.

Then you jump on the C63 and the slowness of the tranny is depressing as well. But at least for me torque > shift speed. That's why I drive a C63.

As far as handling there is only a minority of drivers that can push either cars to their limit. That being said this should be a non factor in your decision making. The M3 does have more electronic gadgets. Styling and interior looks are all subjective. Both are awesome cars but they have different strengths and weakness.
Thanks for your response and insight. I did test drove m3 but I need to test drive c63 to be able to compare them. I agree with you that normal drivers - like me - will more than likely never unleash the true powers of both m3 and c63. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hhughes1
MB really hasn't shown any interest in matching the M3's track prowess as they seem to be catering to a slightly different clientele.
Ditto. For my needs, out of the box, I'd prefer the power over the handling.