C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped off the CL at dealer and came across 2 SL65 BS parked next to each other...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I have been working at the dealer for about eight years and I know they would not let me drive the car around the block even though I have a good relationship with everyone here. The only people that are allowed to drive the BS are the shop foremans at my dealer. I actually have not even touched the car I don't want to be anywhere near it or in it since anything can happen and I do not want to be put in that situation. If you are sure that if something does in fact go wrong on the drive that your brother will not be held liable for it then I don't see a problem with it. Be careful, have fun!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
AMG, who cares about the people that have they're panties in a bunch? Drive the car and enjoy! I know I'd jump on the chance to drive one if I could.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
dude I was reading this from the beginnin and wow do we have some haters on board this ship.
Drive the SL, if some of these little rich *****s can come by the dealer, test drive and then decide they want a bentley because MB isnt fancy enough, you could drive it too.

Have fun man.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 PM

2010 C63
If you won't drive it...I will will. Where's the beast located???
Old 10-13-2010, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
i'm not saying anything negative or positive about what you do
it's up to you what you feel like doing but if you abuse the car , even a little bit , do not put it on film or you will end up like this dumba55......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYlWWazbsDk

if i had the opportunity to drive a vehicle like that , i think i would . of course , i wouldn't be abusing the hell out of it because i know there will be a customer out there for that car . not very often that people get to experience the ultimate driving machines .

this past weekend we had a poker run and a gentleman showed up with his brand new Murcielago . he pulled up and parked next to me at the first spot . he came over and started looking over my whole car . i then went over to his car and was checking this beast out . he asked me if i had ever been in one and i had told him no because i had only been in a Gallardo . he tossed me the keys and said lets go for a spin . he told me that he let me drive because he wanted to drive my car in return , which i thought was pretty cool . i have to say that the Murcielago is quite a machine but i think i actually like my car more .

sorry....had to share that story
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
lol good one was it manual or paddleshift?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by 4ramin
Why does everyone not mind their own business and Let AMG do what he chooses to do
It seems foolish, or perhaps disingenuous, to suggest people shouldn't reply to a thread unless they agree with the subject and/or OP. I'd suggest a better approach may be "hey, if you start a thread, be prepared to get replies that don't agree with you - goes with the territory." AMG is going to do whatever he chooses to do regardless... I highly doubt anyone's post(s) are going to genuinely affect his decision.

The OP appears to care about the rarity and special nature of the car... after all, he's going to take time out of his schedule to meet at the dealership and drive it a mere two blocks. It would take a special car to make that worthwhile... probably wouldn't do that for a E550.

So, it's special enough to drive (without any realistic purchase-decision pending), but (in the OP's apparent view) is not special enough to simply respect from a distance. He does appear to give that level of respect to the Reventon, Enzo, etc. So, he must get the concept, but doesn't apply it in this instance.

Ethical behavior and morality is about as subjective a topic as can be discussed. No surprise that reasonable people can disagree.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
so ur saying he doesn think a BS SL is as worthy as a enzo or reventon? then why does he want to drive it . I am sure if given the chance he would drive either vehicle... you must be a reasonable person.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by 97W202
lol good one was it manual or paddleshift?
paddleshift...and it sounded amazing cuz it had Tubi exhaust
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63

I am jealous
Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by 97W202
so ur saying he doesn think a BS SL is as worthy as a enzo or reventon? then why does he want to drive it . I am sure if given the chance he would drive either vehicle... you must be a reasonable person.
What I meant was, he seems to imply that if he were offered the opportunity to drive a dealership's vehicle of a certain stature (Reventon, McLaren F1, Enzo, etc.) he might respectfully decline because it's ultra-rare and/or valuable - but doesn't view the SL BS in the same light. Who am I to say, though? IDK... the OP might drive whatever dealership's rare exotic he could swing... no way to know.

I will say, though - if I purchased a car as rare and expensive as this one, and subsequently found out that dealership employees were letting friends and/or relatives swing by to drive it first... I'd be less than enthused.

It is different if an owner offers to let you drive his/her car, as it is his/her possession. This opportunity is more analogous to a house-sitter of a fabulous beach-front property offering their relative the use of the place for a weekend, without permission of the owner. Some would say "awesome! go for it!" - others would say "wow, not cool." Just the way it is.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C63-507,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, G63, Lotus Exige S, M3 CS, M4 CSL, GTR BS
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
It seems foolish, or perhaps disingenuous, to suggest people shouldn't reply to a thread unless they agree with the subject and/or OP. I'd suggest a better approach may be "hey, if you start a thread, be prepared to get replies that don't agree with you - goes with the territory." AMG is going to do whatever he chooses to do regardless... I highly doubt anyone's post(s) are going to genuinely affect his decision.

The OP appears to care about the rarity and special nature of the car... after all, he's going to take time out of his schedule to meet at the dealership and drive it a mere two blocks. It would take a special car to make that worthwhile... probably wouldn't do that for a E550.

So, it's special enough to drive (without any realistic purchase-decision pending), but (in the OP's apparent view) is not special enough to simply respect from a distance. He does appear to give that level of respect to the Reventon, Enzo, etc. So, he must get the concept, but doesn't apply it in this instance.

Ethical behavior and morality is about as subjective a topic as can be discussed. No surprise that reasonable people can disagree.
I’m going to add a little humor to this subjct so we can all understand. Let’s assume this car was a women and a very stunning woman at that and I know I could never support her and yet I had a chance to sleep with her or should I say take her for a test drive. I will assure you that I would with absolute no hesitations be going on that test drive….. And to be honest I really don’t find the car as being that special. Just another girl with a boob job.

Last edited by 4ramin; 10-13-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Whatever you say dude....
I really don't understnad people like you, do you enjoy being a buzzkill and a hating on other people??
I just said im going to drive a SL65 BS on Saturday, why do you have to be a d*** about it?
AMG - you don't have to explain yourself to any of these guys. Go drive the car and enjoy it!! You merely stated what you were going to do and didn't ask for any opinions but you sure got a few. HOLY CRAPP guys leave your negative comments to yourself!!

I would definitely drive it any enjoy every minute of it!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I don't get the point.

Piddling around the block twice in a BS will be boring as hell.

May as well find a used 07 SL65 on the dealer lot, and actually take that one out for a harder drive, you'll at least have some fun.

For that matter, if you are going around the block twice and not giving it any throttle, you'll get about 80% of the experience from a 2004 SL55, which you can buy for about $35k.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I am literally going around the block, and im not gonna put more then 2 miles on the car. People talk about it like im gonna rack up 100 miles on one drive, and abuse the hell out of it.
One of my friends left his e92 m3 and C6 Z06 at my work place for over a month and a half, with the keys intact. (he was moving) I probably drove each of those cars no more then 20 miles. I could have driven it every single day for a month straight but chose not too. Even though i had his permission to take them out whenever i wanted to. I respect other peoples property, and don't abuse it.
I really regret making this thread, i had no idea it would get this far.
My opinion is that it matters who is taking the car out for a spin. Sure, it can be a fine line between a PDI and joyride. But, in this case, AMG doesn't appear to be going for a joyride.

If his brother has authority to permit him to "perform the PDI" then there certainly is no joyride.

But, in regard to the comments about this testdrive being a potential infringement to a future owner's enjoyment of the car, I would say, it really depends on who is going to drive the car.

A car doesn't need to be driven far to be damaged. In fact, I would be upset to know if a dealer, mechanic, valet, or anyone over-revved my car's engine when it was still cold (i.e., shortly after cold start).

With a car like the C63, a valet can put the car in "Manual" mode for 10 seconds and hit the rev-limiter so hard. This is obviously even more relevant for a SL65 BS.

But, a responsible driver, who also happens to be a hardcore auto enthusiast would probably show a great deal of respect for a car as special as the SL65 BS.

Personally, if I was in the market for a BS, I would really hope that the miles that were put on the car before my purchase were put on by someone driving very responsibly. And the cool thing about cars as durable as MB AMG's, is that you can test drive them in a safe manner and still have some fun.

Also, if someone can afford a BS, they can afford to locate one that has as close to no miles as possible.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Why does everyone not mind their own business and Let AMG do what he chooses to do, I mean really are you his parents? You guys act as if no one else is going to drive that car. Calm it down a little. These forums have become an anger management for allot of people and ones who always want to argue. I like to come here to get some good info but at times I think I'm dealing with a bunch of 7 year olds. Now I’m pissed because you made me become one of you CRAP CRAP LOL. I guess that’s what I get for buying a C class. Maybe I should have gotten an SL65 but if I test drive it and I don’t like it the zombies @ MBworld are going to get me….
+11111
Couldn't have said it better myself. lol
Honestly, if i was going to take a swim in shark infested waters, I would understand why people wouldn't want me to do it.

But driving one of my favorite cars around the block???....Cmmonnn
Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Dads C63
AMG - you don't have to explain yourself to any of these guys. Go drive the car and enjoy it!! You merely stated what you were going to do and didn't ask for any opinions but you sure got a few. HOLY CRAPP guys leave your negative comments to yourself!!

Thanks Dads, i appreciate the kind words.
Some of the members (not going to point fingers) jump at the opportunity to make a simple drive around the block a mission. haha
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by Dads C63

i agree....even the people on here with the negative comments would drive something like this if given the opportunity in real life .

if your dream car was in front of you , with the keys in it and running and someone gave you the opportunity to take it for a spin , 99.9% of the people would .
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I don't get the point.

Piddling around the block twice in a BS will be boring as hell.

May as well find a used 07 SL65 on the dealer lot, and actually take that one out for a harder drive, you'll at least have some fun.

For that matter, if you are going around the block twice and not giving it any throttle, you'll get about 80% of the experience from a 2004 SL55, which you can buy for about $35k.
I haven't driven the regular SL65 but ive driven the CL65, when i was buying the CL550. its just the experience i wanna get in the SL65 Black series. Im only gonna live once, why not...
Old 10-13-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
i'm not saying anything negative or positive about what you do
it's up to you what you feel like doing but if you abuse the car , even a little bit , do not put it on film or you will end up like this dumba55......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYlWWazbsDk

if i had the opportunity to drive a vehicle like that , i think i would . of course , i wouldn't be abusing the hell out of it because i know there will be a customer out there for that car . not very often that people get to experience the ultimate driving machines .

this past weekend we had a poker run and a gentleman showed up with his brand new Murcielago . he pulled up and parked next to me at the first spot . he came over and started looking over my whole car . i then went over to his car and was checking this beast out . he asked me if i had ever been in one and i had told him no because i had only been in a Gallardo . he tossed me the keys and said lets go for a spin . he told me that he let me drive because he wanted to drive my car in return , which i thought was pretty cool . i have to say that the Murcielago is quite a machine but i think i actually like my car more .

sorry....had to share that story
Cool story.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
What I meant was, he seems to imply that if he were offered the opportunity to drive a dealership's vehicle of a certain stature (Reventon, McLaren F1, Enzo, etc.) he might respectfully decline because it's ultra-rare and/or valuable - but doesn't view the SL BS in the same light. Who am I to say, though? IDK... the OP might drive whatever dealership's rare exotic he could swing... no way to know.

I will say, though - if I purchased a car as rare and expensive as this one, and subsequently found out that dealership employees were letting friends and/or relatives swing by to drive it first... I'd be less than enthused.

It is different if an owner offers to let you drive his/her car, as it is his/her possession. This opportunity is more analogous to a house-sitter of a fabulous beach-front property offering their relative the use of the place for a weekend, without permission of the owner. Some would say "awesome! go for it!" - others would say "wow, not cool." Just the way it is.
honestly I never disagreed with you, personally I have OCD and would not buy a car that had more than 5 miles on it (unless its a regular vehicle, this is not, shes got a boob job ) but I KNOW that will be next to impossible because there are others in this life who cant afford such things and must live bi-curiously through others, its just the way it is. (I cant afford one)

I’m going to add a little humor to this subjct so we can all understand. Let’s assume this car was a women and a very stunning woman at that and I know I could never support her and yet I had a chance to sleep with her or should I say take her for a test drive. I will assure you that I would with absolute no hesitations be going on that test drive….. And to be honest I really don’t find the car as being that special. Just another girl with a boob job.
made my day bro !!

Im only gonna live once, why not...
very well said my friend
Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
My opinion is that it matters who is taking the car out for a spin. Sure, it can be a fine line between a PDI and joyride. But, in this case, AMG doesn't appear to be going for a joyride.

If his brother has authority to permit him to "perform the PDI" then there certainly is no joyride.

But, in regard to the comments about this testdrive being a potential infringement to a future owner's enjoyment of the car, I would say, it really depends on who is going to drive the car.

A car doesn't need to be driven far to be damaged. In fact, I would be upset to know if a dealer, mechanic, valet, or anyone over-revved my car's engine when it was still cold (i.e., shortly after cold start).

With a car like the C63, a valet can put the car in "Manual" mode for 10 seconds and hit the rev-limiter so hard. This is obviously even more relevant for a SL65 BS.

But, a responsible driver, who also happens to be a hardcore auto enthusiast would probably show a great deal of respect for a car as special as the SL65 BS.

Personally, if I was in the market for a BS, I would really hope that the miles that were put on the car before my purchase were put on by someone driving very responsibly. And the cool thing about cars as durable as MB AMG's, is that you can test drive them in a safe manner and still have some fun.

Also, if someone can afford a BS, they can afford to locate one that has as close to no miles as possible.
Try to go find a brand new McLaren with 0 miles, you cant. They have no less then 80 miles on the car because they are driven and tested in England, before being shipped out. And i understand its mandatory to this, but putting less then 2 miles on a black series isnt really going to do anything to the car. IMO
I respect cars like the Black Series becuase i know what kind of things its capable of and im not one of those people that jump in the car and do stupid s***. I had a z06 in my possesion for more then a month, one of the fastest cars on the roads today. That car never saw over 65 mph on the fwy, becuase i respect the car and other peoples property. I simply want to drive the SL Black for the experience. Honestly, how many chances in your life time do you get driving a car like this?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Try to go find a brand new McLaren with 0 miles, you cant. They have no less then 80 miles on the car because they are driven and tested in England, before being shipped out. And i understand its mandatory to this, but putting less then 2 miles on a black series isnt really going to do anything to the car. IMO
I respect cars like the Black Series becuase i know what kind of things its capable of and im not one of those people that jump in the car and do stupid s***. I had a z06 in my possesion for more then a month, one of the fastest cars on the roads today. That car never saw over 65 mph on the fwy, becuase i respect the car and other peoples property. I simply want to drive the SL Black for the experience. Honestly, how many chances in your life time do you get driving a car like this?
I hear you. That's why I wrote what I did.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
It seems foolish, or perhaps disingenuous, to suggest people shouldn't reply to a thread unless they agree with the subject and/or OP.
Very well said.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Yeah, like a $300k BS is sooooo much more fragile than a regular SL....the cars are meant to be driven, not polished and drooled on like a Gretzky rookie card. That said, WHO CARES about a trip around the block if nothing happens to the car? Guess who...no one.

Nerds

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dropped off the CL at dealer and came across 2 SL65 BS parked next to each other...