Sponsored by:

Andy RennTech and Jeff Katz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I have a feeling this is gonna get ugly....
Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Did you completely not read the statement about "possibly undisclosed facts being involved". It was the entire point of my post and as usual it sailed right over your head As for "fanning flames" go back and read your own post. You sir keep the fire fighters in business.

PS: I have a Kleemann tune and march to no one's drum
No, missed that...my apologies then.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Believe it or not completely accepted.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
ever since sfgator bought headers your comments have become a lot more subjective and presumptuous....no affiliations just stating the obvious
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM

Ford
Wasnt this your last post before this issue?

https://mbworld.org/forums/4183031-post69.html
Old 10-19-2010, 12:24 AM

E63
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
Several months back a forum member put together a dyno tuning day in Palm Beach. This member was bringing in Jeremy of OE Tuning to do some work for him and was kind enough to let other members know Jeremy would be available should they want some tuning work done. I posted on this thread that I lived in the area and was willing to come down and support the effort with programmers and data logging.

A C63 owner availed himself of the opportunity to get his car dyno tuned. Apparently Jeremy's BDM tool was damaged during the flight out and misread the ECU providing a corrupt original read. The corrupt read caused checksum errors and the car would not start. The following is a fact by fact account of how the problem was addressed.

Wade, a former RennTech mechanic, gave Jeff Katz, a then current RennTech employee and personal friend, a call to see if he could help with the problem.Jeff gave me a call to see if I could help.

lolachampcar,

Based on what you posted in the first post of this thread there I would have fired the guy too. You work in a cutthroat business so there is no room for cross company fraternization. It wouldn't pass in my line of work either.

Just pointing out the obvious, a sincere best of luck to everyone involved.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by RStevens63
lolachampcar,

Based on what you posted in the first post of this thread there I would have fired the guy too. You work in a cutthroat business so there is no room for cross company fraternization. It wouldn't pass in my line of work either.

I find that to be a little misguided. Here is why... I think its a case of "I can't help you, but let me see if I can find someone who can."

We've all seen it. Either while at a store or trying to find a part. The worker gets get on the phone, calls another place. Then by the end of the conversation the guy hangs up the phone. Then tells you Frank Whoever said, "you have to go see Joe Something, down at Such&Such's place."

It kind of looks like this. Jeff couldn't help them unless it was a RENNtech tune. So Jeff reached out to someone who might be able to help. Needless to say... If an old friend reached out to you for some help. would you at least make a phone call for them?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
b.r.a.b.u.s, at least they barley speak english so if they argue i would not know about it
Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 AM

E63
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I find that to be a little misguided. Here is why... I think its a case of "I can't help you, but let me see if I can find someone who can."

We've all seen it. Either while at a store or trying to find a part. The worker gets get on the phone, calls another place. Then by the end of the conversation the guy hangs up the phone. Then tells you Frank Whoever said, "you have to go see Joe Something, down at Such&Such's place."

It kind of looks like this. Jeff couldn't help them unless it was a RENNtech tune. So Jeff reached out to someone who might be able to help. Needless to say... If an old friend reached out to you for some help. would you at least make a phone call for them?
I see what you're saying and if this was anything but business you'd be 110% right.

I would even go so far as to say it was a nice gesture by all involved.

However the B-word makes all the difference in the world in this situation I think.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
I am continually amazed by the absolute pettiness and stupidity of these types of threads. There always seems to be some pissing match going on amongst tuners and a substancial amount of "he said, she said' type of thing. I am in no ones camp here. Bought MHP headers, use Kleemann tune etc etc. What i find amazing is that there is such a dust-up over a ECU tune and all the assumptions and accusations happening here. If RT fired someone over something posted on the net, then they need to take a good hard look at their HR policies. There would be grounds for wrongful dismissal on the part of the employee IMHO. If RT terminated his employment because he worked with a competitor to sort out a problem then they need to look at their customer service approach. Penny wise, pound foolish IMHO. As a business owner I would always welcome an employee helping out a customer to sort out something even it meant going somewhere else to get it done. It is called customer service and support and most consumers I know buy base on these principles. The car owner problems needed addressing and the RT employee did the right thing here and if he is fired for doing this, then RT needs to take a good hard look at themselves.
Regardless, I am sure there are many factors involved here that have yet to come to light. If Jeff is as good as stated, then I am sure he will land on his feet. Good people always do. I am not sure how Andy figures in here if he posted something on the net, but the old adage of not believing everything you read on the net should always be considered in matters such as this.
At the end of the day these sorts of threads are useless and full of hidden agendas. Mods, please close this out as these sort of threads are counter-productive and to be candid I am sick of all these pissing matches between tuners online. Here is a small suggestion - since we hear so much about this subject, how about someone organize a tuner shoot-out? Get all the tuners in one place with their ECUs and use the same dyno/test-bed/car and see what is what? Then post results and let us consumers decide what we want. Otherwise all this is simply a waste of time.
I hope Jeff lands on his feet and sorry to hear about his troubles.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Originally Posted by RStevens63
lolachampcar,

Having me and Wade for friends was not good for Jeff's long term employment. I guess there is no accounting for good taste (for having me as a friend at least ).

That being said, Jeff went out of his way not to get involved in the process and I think it might be a bit unfair to expect people to terminate long term friendships because your employer no longer likes them. If that were the case, there would be a long list of people Jeff could no longer speak with, some he has known for the entire time he spent at RT.

Perhaps I just live in an ideal world where people are treated with respect and as adults. For that, I apologize.....
Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Reading between the lines and agendas-

He who writes makes history; especially if it is the only thing written. I made the post to set the record straight and not to bash Andy. I really could care less about Andy. There have always been and there will always be people like him and the anonymity of the net only works to embolden them.

Jeff is a good guy and has a lot of experience in the Mercedes world. As I mentioned before, he was the ONLY ECU guy at RT when I installed the tuning tools there and taught him how to edit files so he WAS RT's employed tuning talent.

Jeff is available.

There, the first reason for posting is out of the way.

Secondly, light has been brought to the issue by the guy that did the work (me) and the guy that had the work done (owner). There is no way Andy's post can be used as "proof" that Jeff did anything wrong or otherwise used against Jeff in the future.

There, the second reason for making the post.

Lastly, my thanks to the moderators for letting me air this issue. Apart from some technical information about correcting ECU checksums and a little intel about where these tuners actually get their tuning tools, there is little technical content in the post. I try my best not to make "political" posts having learned my lessons years ago. Thank you for letting me make this one.

Oh, did I mention Jeff was available?

Last edited by lolachampcar; 10-19-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
This thread is closed. It will likely turn into a flame war otherwise.

To the OP - if you want to add anything to clarify, PM me.

Thanks
Brad