C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody add a flat style Sub into trunk yet?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody add a flat style Sub into trunk yet?

Looking at a JL 13TW-3 type Sub for the trunk so I can remove if I need the space. has anybody added a sub to help the poor bottom end in these C's yet?

Looking for set up ideas basically.

Thanks,
Old 10-22-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
I added the Infinity BassLink powered sub and it really makes a HUGE difference in sound and only takes up 1 sq. ft. of space in the trunk! Got mine on Amazon.com for < $200.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 PM

C63
Poor bottom end? Compared to what?

sflgator did you install yourself?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Questions
Poor bottom end? Compared to what?

sflgator did you install yourself?
poor bottom end compared to anything i have owned in the past 15 years unfortunately

SLFgator: i assume you took a high level off the rear speakers and mounted a small AMP in the back somewhere? where did you hide the AMP?

I was thinking of running a gain adjusting knob into the cigarette lighter spot so its hidden beside my RX75+ Shifter display
Old 10-22-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by TRDRunner
poor bottom end compared to anything i have owned in the past 15 years unfortunately

SLFgator: i assume you took a high level off the rear speakers and mounted a small AMP in the back somewhere? where did you hide the AMP?

I was thinking of running a gain adjusting knob into the cigarette lighter spot so its hidden beside my RX75+ Shifter display
No, it's a "powered sub" with a built-in 200w amp and it's one of the easiest subs to install; I had a professional installer do it for ~ $125...took him a few hours and he just tapped into the rear deck speaker wire. I've turned a few C63 AMG MBW members onto the Infinity BassLink and everyone loves it...lots of deep, hard hitting bass but not so much that it will rattle your neighbors' windows, haha. Here's the Amazon.com link...

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Bassl...7778255&sr=8-1

And, yes, I agree with you that there's virtually NO low end bass in this MB C63 AMG Logic 7 system; strange b/c my Logic 7 system in my '07 BMW 335i had some decent bass with the included std. subwoofer under the passenger seat...so where's the std. subwoofer in the C63 AMG's Logic 7 system?????

Last edited by sflgator; 10-22-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I added a 12 inch custom enclosure with sub and 1400watt sub attached to the back seat. It rocks my world when I do not want to listen to the exhaust sonic boom. I am happy to post pics if you wish.
The sub is removed in 30 seconds when I need the room.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by emericr
I added a 12 inch custom enclosure with sub and 1400watt sub attached to the back seat. It rocks my world when I do not want to listen to the exhaust sonic boom. I am happy to post pics if you wish.
The sub is removed in 30 seconds when I need the room.
Your setup is phenomenal...definitely rocks! However, now with my MBH headers, I've been lowering the volume on my music so I can listen the amazing sounds of my engine/exhaust...every time I left off the gas (in almost any gear) now and/or downshift, I hear those awesome exotic exhaust "pops!!!!"
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by sflgator
No, it's a "powered sub" with a built-in 200w amp and it's one of the easiest subs to install; I had a professional installer do it for ~ $125...took him a few hours and he just tapped into the rear deck speaker wire. I've turned a few C63 AMG MBW members onto the Infinity BassLink and everyone loves it...lots of deep, hard hitting bass but not so much that it will rattle your neighbors' windows, haha. Here's the Amazon.com link...

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Bassl...7778255&sr=8-1

And, yes, I agree with you that there's virtually NO low end bass in this MB C63 AMG Logic 7 system; strange b/c my Logic 7 system in my '07 BMW 335i had some decent bass with the included std. subwoofer under the passenger seat...so where's the std. subwoofer in the C63 AMG's Logic 7 system?????
Thanks for the link, My Caddy has Bose which is WAY better and even my new 2010 Ram dually came with a factory sub... need to fix this problem soon...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
I take it none of you have the Harmon Kardon?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
HK is weak
Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GHAZAN
HK is weak
Compared to what..I think it depends on what year you got. Not all HKs are the same. I thin HK is better than the Bass link for sure. It never hit deep enough for me.

For a factory system, the HK from 2010 blows away the HK from 08 (Can't remember which HK the 09s have) But few oem systems I have heard are better.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
My '09 HK sucks. I've used the Basslink before and have one in the M5 currently, but have this MTX Thunderlink - very similar but hits a little harder - going in the C63.

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...res/XT110P.cfm

Last edited by bhamg; 10-27-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 AM

C63
Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
For a factory system, the HK from 2010 blows away the HK from 08 (Can't remember which HK the 09s have) But few oem systems I have heard are better.
Did they upgrade it from model year to model year?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 AM

2012 C63 AMG
FWIW, I think the HK offers good sound for the money. Having said that, here are a few observations. Note that this applies to the 09 model.

The HK sounds great with sat radio or prerecorded CD. A mild adjustment to the bass and treble settings make a significant difference.

It is terribly lacking in bass when hooked up to an iPod via iPod interface (likely non-518 option). Setting the bass on the system to max produces barely adequate bass. Boosting bass by using the ipod's equalizer produces unacceptable distortion. I've read here that the new models allow the user to boost amplification of the iPod signal; haven't verified that.

Lastly, bass, even when using an iPod, is dramatically increased when one or more windows or the sunroof are open. It's reasonable to assume that the decreased air pressure resistance in the cabin under this scenario allows the woofers to fire more effectively; a closed cabin seems to produce more resistance for the woofers to act against.

I've had similar powered subs in the past, and tuned properly to blend with the factory system, they've produced very pleasing results for the money, with little space sacrificed in the trunk.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Compared to what..I think it depends on what year you got. Not all HKs are the same. I thin HK is better than the Bass link for sure. It never hit deep enough for me.

fyi - The Infinity BassLink powered subwoofer goes all the way down to 20Hz...can't really get much lower than that. Maybe you just wanted more power; it has a 200w amp.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bhamg
My '09 HK sucks. I've used the Basslink before and have one in the M5 currently, but have this MTX Thunderlink - very similar but hits a little harder - going in the C63.

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...res/XT110P.cfm
Interesting b/c that MTX powered sub only goes down to 39Hz and only has a 100w amp co pared with the BassLink's 20Hz low freq. response and 200w amp.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fyi - The Infinity BassLink powered subwoofer goes all the way down to 20Hz...can't really get much lower than that. Maybe you just wanted more power; it has a 200w amp.
Nope not power....its the size of the woofer really. It just never did it for me.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sparrow650
FWIW, I think the HK offers good sound for the money. Having said that, here are a few observations. Note that this applies to the 09 model.

The HK sounds great with sat radio or prerecorded CD. A mild adjustment to the bass and treble settings make a significant difference.

It is terribly lacking in bass when hooked up to an iPod via iPod interface (likely non-518 option). Setting the bass on the system to max produces barely adequate bass. Boosting bass by using the ipod's equalizer produces unacceptable distortion. I've read here that the new models allow the user to boost amplification of the iPod signal; haven't verified that.

Lastly, bass, even when using an iPod, is dramatically increased when one or more windows or the sunroof are open. It's reasonable to assume that the decreased air pressure resistance in the cabin under this scenario allows the woofers to fire more effectively; a closed cabin seems to produce more resistance for the woofers to act against.

I've had similar powered subs in the past, and tuned properly to blend with the factory system, they've produced very pleasing results for the money, with little space sacrificed in the trunk.
09 and 2010 have to be different then cuz my iPod BUMPS lol. The only thing that is weak is the standard radio. Satellite is decent, but not as good as the iPod.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM

2009 C63 AMG - Steel Grey
I added the Infinity BassLink powered sub and it really makes a HUGE difference in sound and only takes up 1 sq. ft. of space in the trunk! Got mine on Amazon.com for < $200.
I just ordered mine on Amazon and with tax and free shipping it came to $200.65, have it next week sometime
Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Interesting b/c that MTX powered sub only goes down to 39Hz and only has a 100w amp co pared with the BassLink's 20Hz low freq. response and 200w amp.
I'm very familiar with the Basslink in an M5 and an S8, that is, over years of use. 20Hz output from a Basslink is a pipe dream. I really don't look at the specs for this level of audio but I was trying find a little more bottom than the Basslink offers in the same kind of package. That said there is NO way the Basslink gets close to that 20Hz figure...not even close. 39Hz is a more real-world, honest figure IMHO. I respect that kind of spec more. I fiddled around with the MTX in two different cars and thought it hit a little harder...just a tad more of a visceral thump which is good for the music I listen to. I am also in the process of putting a powered Bazooka tube in the hatch area of another car (2-seat coupe) because the form factor works better in that application, so I think all three work fine for what they are...more similarities than differences. They are great solutions that I recommend to many people...the difference some REAL bass adds often makes for another magnitude of improvement to OE audio systems.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kjellster
I just ordered mine on Amazon and with tax and free shipping it came to $200.65, have it next week sometime
Nice...good deal...congrats! You will love it!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bhamg
I'm very familiar with the Basslink in an M5 and an S8, that is, over years of use. 20Hz output from a Basslink is a pipe dream. I really don't look at the specs for this level of audio but I was trying find a little more bottom than the Basslink offers in the same kind of package. That said there is NO way the Basslink gets close to that 20Hz figure...not even close. 39Hz is a more real-world, honest figure IMHO. I respect that kind of spec more. I fiddled around with the MTX in two different cars and thought it hit a little harder...just a tad more of a visceral thump which is good for the music I listen to. I am also in the process of putting a powered Bazooka tube in the hatch area of another car (2-seat coupe) because the form factor works better in that application, so I think all three work fine for what they are...more similarities than differences. They are great solutions that I recommend to many people...the difference some REAL bass adds often makes for another magnitude of improvement to OE audio systems.
Yeah...either way, a good powered sub definitely adds the low-end bass that the C63 AMG audio system needs. I'm definitely happy with the BassLink...adds just enough bass for a much higher quality, more even low-mid-high range car audio system needed imho; not too much bass to rattle my neighbors windows but just enough for me to really enjoy my music in my car while driving at all volume levels.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:57 PM

10 C63
09 and 2010 have to be different then cuz my iPod BUMPS lol. The only thing that is weak is the standard radio. Satellite is decent, but not as good as the iPod.
Same here, my iPhone sounds legit, however the sound quality from the Sat Radio/FM/AM is crap in comparison. Haven't even popped a CD in to see what that sounds like.

And your right, I put the bass on 0 up to +2...anything more than that and it'll start rattling
Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 AM

2009 C63 AMG - Steel Grey
Nice...good deal...congrats! You will love it!
Any thoughts on where I should have it mounted in the trunk for better sound?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kjellster
Any thoughts on where I should have it mounted in the trunk for better sound?
Doesn't really matter; I have mine to the far right against the rear seat back, standing up vertically.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anybody add a flat style Sub into trunk yet?