Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattles fixed by dealers? Mine came from dash/navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattles fixed by dealers? Mine came from dash/navigation

Hi guys, I was wondering if you get annoying rattles from your car. Mine get this annoying rattle from dash board /navigation unit, and my car doesn't even have 1000 miles yet. Would this qualify as a "warranty iten" or maybe as a adjustent item since the car is so new? Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
The only rattle I get is in the back by the rear sunshade, I remember reading about here before so don't think it's just me. It hasn't bothered me enough to take it in to get it looked at.. Probably at my next service.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
The CL550's have the same problems, and rattling in the AC vent. Its a pretty quick fix.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Ultima GTR
I had some rattle from the mesh thing that sits at the very front of the dash on the passenger side. I tried to remove the panel from the top, something went snap or pop, the rattle has now gone away and the panel is no looser or sitting any different.

Alex 1 - MB 0
Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 AM

C63
Funny that you mentioned it, I just had them look at the rear sunshade two days ago for the rattle. It got extremely annoying when the music was up and when the roads were bumpy. I told them to either fix it, or to remove the sunshade.. they put some tape or cocking because it was loose and the rattle went away. BUT, i got a tint yesterday and the guy might have moved it around and now the effing rattle is back

I don't know about adjustments, but they will fix the rattles under warranty.. don't let them tell you otherwise.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
I too have the sunshade rattle. I dont want to let them go out it just yet, i feel they're going to do more damage than good trying to fix it. If the shade is up, no rattle. It only rattles when retracted. I just dont want some mook, tearing my rear interior apart, than taking it out for a "test drive" to see if he fixed it.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
My experience: The C63 is the loudest car from the inside, due to rattles, that I have ever had the privilege of driving. But, fortunately, I love the car, so I just live with the annoyance.

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM

C63 AMG
I have also had some cracks and rattles from the navigation but only on uneven roads. (unpaved) and i also have less then 1000 miles (900)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
the side of the drivers seat where the lumbar and bolster adjustment buttons are. I took the panel out and tried to lube it up but it didn't help.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
My experience: The C63 is the loudest car from the inside, due to rattles, that I have ever had the privilege of driving. But, fortunately, I love the car, so I just live with the annoyance.

+100000

I have rattles from my passenger side door near the speakers, so any music with loud base will get rattles..as well as some overall rattles when i drive it on the San Diego roads that look they were paved by the same guys that did ancient Rome.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
I had the same navi dash rattles and took it to the dealer. They pulled out the navi unit and lined it with some felt sided tape and NO more dash rattle. All was done under warranty and car has 15k miles. No reason not to get it fixed.....
Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 PM

C63, C280, 2500HD, IS300
My car have been into dealer 3 times for rattles.
first time was under the steering, second time it was the turn signal
third time it was from the Navi but the claim is from ignition
the car been there since last month, they claim is special order for the ignition
Any more rattles I will go crazy
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM
cek

'10 C63 AMG P31, '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, '78 Toyota FJ40, '10 Audi Q7 TDi
Left B-pillar, right by my ear. Started the week after I bought the car.

Dealer took care of it right away. Now I have no rattles or squeaks (6500 miles).
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
I was just going to bring this subject up. This is exactly the issue that is slowly killing my love affair with not only this car but Mercedes.
These cars are not built the way a Mercedes used to be built. They used to feel like they were carved out of a solid billet, with no squeeks, rattles or snaps.
I think that most of the blame goes to the stiff suspension. I have 35,000km on the car and I mentioned to the dealer that this thing will be in pieces by 100,000km. The Rear sunshade area plastic made noise from day one. That has been worked on three times and it still makes noise. I had a rattle from the trunk which the dealer coudnt fix until finally my neighbor rode in the trunk and found the trouble. Driver door panel, CF around the center buttons makes noise, F and R seats occasionally make noise, windsheild sounds like glass squeeking in rubber. Actually more and more, over bumps it sounds like everything from the headliner on down makes a noise. Thats bad enough but whats really getting to me is the front suspension feels and sounds clunky over bumps and through the steering column I feel a jarring jiggle. This and some ever more noticeable deficiencies I wont mention here, are ruining the experience of this car. This suspension and our Canadian roads are beating the sh-t out of this car. Its just getting loose. It is so bad I left the softer winter tires on all last summer. I am seriously concerned that maybe I should get ride of it now before it sounds and feels like and old trashed Camaro, and I will end up taking even more of a loss on it.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C63-507,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, G63, Lotus Exige S, M3 CS, M4 CSL, GTR BS
This is the porblem with all new cars, my Audi S4, My 07 lex. IS350 dash had to come out 3x before they found the noise. I only have 2700 miles on the merc and so far no issues yet but im sure i will. this is why i love my 89 Porsche solid as a rock....
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by Multispeed
finally my neighbor rode in the trunk and found the trouble
hahaha sounds like a good neighbor.. or you're just a bad one.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by drawde
hahaha sounds like a good neighbor.. or you're just a bad one.
Just what I wanted to say.

I had rattles in my navi cover, just like the OP. My driver's seat was squeeking like crazy for about 6 months. Same thing with my mirros until there were replaced with new ones. All of these were annoyances were removed under warranty but now it is gone and I have new problems. Now my left vent is showing some rattling noises from the inside and from to time I can hear some noises from my trunk...
This really sucks but it's all because of the suspension. My car in a non-PP so I don't want to even wonder what it would have been in a P31 on Polish roads
Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
cek

'10 C63 AMG P31, '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, '78 Toyota FJ40, '10 Audi Q7 TDi
I was just going to bring this subject up. This is exactly the issue that is slowly killing my love affair with not only this car but Mercedes.
These cars are not built the way a Mercedes used to be built. They used to feel like they were carved out of a solid billet, with no squeeks, rattles or snaps...
Bullarky. I remember my grandfather *****ing about having to take is 1972 300SEL back to the dealer several times because of rattles. I'm sure my grandmother never noticed.

I remember the troubles my dad had with several 300TD wagons in the early 80's. I _know_ my mom never noticed.

In all cases the cars were fixed by the dealers for no cost.

My wife's 2010 Q7 had a dashboard rattle after we bought it. Audi fixed it right away. I noticed this and insisted it be fixed. My wife didn't understand what the big deal was.

My Land Rover LR3 had a squeak. Only I cared. The dealer fixed it.

My point is threefold:

1) These ARE the good-old-days.
2) We (defined by participating in an online Internet forum about cars) are not normal
3) All makes/models can have squeaks/rattles when new & high-end manufactures are usually very good at taking care of it.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM

are MB dealer pretty good about fixing these rattles? My last car was an Audi and dealer would only take care of rattles within the first year from delivery date. They wouldn't do "adjustment" after 1 year even though the car was still in warranty.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Pertplus
+100000

I have rattles from my passenger side door near the speakers, so any music with loud base will get rattles..as well as some overall rattles when i drive it on the San Diego roads that look they were paved by the same guys that did ancient Rome.

I get some base rattles. My main rattle comes from the driver sun visor. It's really loud. If I push it up towards the roof, hard, it will quite down for a few minutes.

Also, I had to have my front passenger seat belt clasp replaced with a new one because it was seated from the factory too close to my center console and it would vibrate and rattle against it when I would drive. It's fixed now.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 PM

c63
really useful information about rattles:

https://mbworld.org/forums/3851973-post45.html
Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by cek
Bullarky. I remember my grandfather *****ing about having to take is 1972 300SEL back to the dealer several times because of rattles. I'm sure my grandmother never noticed.

I remember the troubles my dad had with several 300TD wagons in the early 80's. I _know_ my mom never noticed.

In all cases the cars were fixed by the dealers for no cost.

My wife's 2010 Q7 had a dashboard rattle after we bought it. Audi fixed it right away. I noticed this and insisted it be fixed. My wife didn't understand what the big deal was.

My Land Rover LR3 had a squeak. Only I cared. The dealer fixed it.

My point is threefold:

1) These ARE the good-old-days.
2) We (defined by participating in an online Internet forum about cars) are not normal
3) All makes/models can have squeaks/rattles when new & high-end manufactures are usually very good at taking care of it.
Well I do realize that no car is going to be totally perfect and even a Mercedes will have a rattle or parts noise issues now and then.
And I have been accused of being a little fussy and obsessive.

However, this car (P30) is definately loosening up more than any other Mercedes I have been in. I would like to hear from others with higher mileage P30 cars.

Anyway, I sort of knew when I first drove this car and felt the suspension, that it was going to take a beating on our roads. I will give the dealer a list next visit and see what they can do.

BTW, my first Mercedes, a hand me down from my father was a 67 250SE. It was a fun car and felt like it was built like a tank.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig

I get some base rattles. My main rattle comes from the driver sun visor. It's really loud. If I push it up towards the roof, hard, it will quite down for a few minutes.

Also, I had to have my front passenger seat belt clasp replaced with a new one because it was seated from the factory too close to my center console and it would vibrate and rattle against it when I would drive. It's fixed now.
Hey Pig, how did they fix it? Remove the seat or what?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by simonlam168
really useful information about rattles:

https://mbworld.org/forums/3851973-post45.html
WOW, a dissected C. Nice info and thanks for the lead...
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
These cars are not built the way a Mercedes used to be built. They used to feel like they were carved out of a solid billet, with no squeeks, rattles or snaps.
I think that most of the blame goes to the stiff suspension. I have 35,000km on the car and I mentioned to the dealer that this thing will be in pieces by 100,000km. The Rear sunshade area plastic made noise from day one. That has been worked on three times and it still makes noise. I had a rattle from the trunk which the dealer coudnt fix until finally my neighbor rode in the trunk and found the trouble. Driver door panel, CF around the center buttons makes noise, F and R seats occasionally make noise, windsheild sounds like glass squeeking in rubber. Actually more and more, over bumps it sounds like everything from the headliner on down makes a noise. Thats bad enough but whats really getting to me is the front suspension feels and sounds clunky over bumps and through the steering column I feel a jarring jiggle. This and some ever more noticeable deficiencies I wont mention here, are ruining the experience of this car. This suspension and our Canadian roads are beating the sh-t out of this car. Its just getting loose. It is so bad I left the softer winter tires on all last summer. I am seriously concerned that maybe I should get ride of it now before it sounds and feels like and old trashed Camaro, and I will end up taking even more of a loss on it.
What was the cause of the trunk rattle that your neighbor located?