Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Originally Posted by gnxs
Awesome times!!
Why don't they all post on dragtimes? Look at the list of mods!!

Last edited by Dads C63; 11-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT2 C63 and yo sister
Originally Posted by Muskoka_AMG
What a ridiculous comment. A cadillac is a casio? What world do you come from? Basically what you're saying is you bought a c63 because it looks classier and has a silverstar on it. Congratulations, you have awful priorities.
really? I went with the car I trusted more, from the people who invented the automobile, who make cars that run flat out on the autobahn all day everyday. yeah that silver star has something more than prestige, it represents a heritage and quality, my priorities included not buying something slapped together by people who dont care. I wanted something I knew that was built to be the best and sometimes thats not always the fastest
Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by gnxs
Great times for sure! But DAMN that is a lot of mods.

Im a big fan of the CTSV. I had one in 2004 and enjoyed the car other than being in the shop many many many times for everything but the engine. They did amazing things with the 2009 and it was a hard decision to make getting into a C63. But damn, I havent looked back since 2 C63's later. Very rarely did people stop me and say "Damn, A V???!! Sweet"

At least 3 times a week I get a thumb or a nod and a "Damn!! AMG! Nice car"

What I was looking to address is the "Tune" vs "Tune" argument. The tuned C63 vs a Stock CTSV. The C63 tuned beats the CTSV. It was then said a "tuned" CTSV would violently rape a C63. This is where I say tune the ECU in the caddy and beat the C63. If thats possible and indeed a violent rape. Sweet! I just wanted to see it.

Soon as you start doing exhaust and pulleys ect I consider it modding not tuning. With that, it looks like a CTSV beats the crap out of our most modded C63! How much in mods id like to know though...
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in Black group-NASA/PDA
Originally Posted by propain

Im a big fan of the CTSV. I had one in 2004 and enjoyed the car other than being in the shop many many many times for everything but the engine. They did amazing things with the 2009 and it was a hard decision to make getting into a C63. But damn, I havent looked back since 2 C63's later. Very rarely did people stop me and say "Damn, A V???!! Sweet"

What I was looking to address is the "Tune" vs "Tune" argument. The tuned C63 vs a Stock CTSV. The C63 tuned beats the CTSV. It was then said a "tuned" CTSV would violently rape a C63. This is where I say tune the ECU in the caddy and beat the C63. If thats possible and indeed a violent rape. Sweet! I just wanted to see it.

Soon as you start doing exhaust and pulleys ect I consider it modding not tuning. With that, it looks like a CTSV beats the crap out of our most modded C63! How much in mods id like to know though...
You're right, brother, just a tune on a V is a waste...one would need to mate that to a pulley or headers to gain any type of real gains. I didn't really separate the "modding", as that's just what usually happens. The low hanging fruit on stock-charged cars is pulley/tune.

I had an '05 V...absolutely loved it all the way to the day before GM was forced to lemon-law it and buy it back from me for the diff-issue/leaky tail-seal on the tranny. I very much wanted them to get V.2 right, and it looks like they just may have.

No doubt, the C63 is a beast in a tailored-suit. Almost daily, I find myself making excuses as to why I could learn to live with an automatic tranny, how I already have a track car and that I would never NEED to mod my daily-driver.
But we know that's BS....I haven't left a car stock in over a decade.

Really, though, I do believe the C63 will win my specific "which car do I get next" debate.

Be good,
TomK
Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 AM

2004 SVT Cobra

I don't have enough knowledge of the C63 to know how tune only vs. tune only comparison would turn out, but like Ace996 said, that's not the normal path of a "V" owner when modding the car. The closest guy on the list I posted to that might be BLitzkrieg, since that car is still running stock boost and street tires (but he does run meth injection)....11.4 @ 121.

As for the list, except for the very fastest "V"s, the number and cost of the mods it takes to get in the 10's is fairly minimal. I've got less than $3,500 in mods (including the Z06 rims and DRs) and have a console full of 10 second timeslips. To be honest, it's embarrassing how close it is to my Cobra's times with how few mods it has on it.

Also of note is that, so far at least, all the "V"'s have run on pump gas and nobody's taken any weight out......as far as I've seen at least. I imagine next year somebody might possibly yank a bunch of weight out, put a decent size shot on the car and squeak into the 9's.

Last edited by gnxs; 11-20-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by ace996
You're right, brother, just a tune on a V is a waste...one would need to mate that to a pulley or headers to gain any type of real gains. I didn't really separate the "modding", as that's just what usually happens. The low hanging fruit on stock-charged cars is pulley/tune.

I had an '05 V...absolutely loved it all the way to the day before GM was forced to lemon-law it and buy it back from me for the diff-issue/leaky tail-seal on the tranny. I very much wanted them to get V.2 right, and it looks like they just may have.

No doubt, the C63 is a beast in a tailored-suit. Almost daily, I find myself making excuses as to why I could learn to live with an automatic tranny, how I already have a track car and that I would never NEED to mod my daily-driver.
But we know that's BS....I haven't left a car stock in over a decade.

Really, though, I do believe the C63 will win my specific "which car do I get next" debate.

Be good,
TomK
My biggest problem I had with my 04 aside from so many issues was the wheel hop. I spent 3 1/2 years trying to remove it completely. So many mods to suspension and after market mods and still it would not stop hopping. I HATED it.

I do miss the stick though. I HATE the auto in the C63. Makes no sense to me not to offer it in a manual. Damn Germans and their autos.. The tranny absolutely blows due to its adaptive nature. Unless you live on the autobahn daily it will drive like a little girl in 2 weeks.

Even as we discuss this im looking at my C63 and ready to go to the GM forum to see how much the trade would be to get into another V. I really like that its bigger and handles better. The first thing I would do is exhaust though. I would miss the C63 sound to much not to.

I don't have enough knowledge of the C63 to know how tune only vs. tune only comparison would turn out, but like Ace996 said, that's not the normal path of a "V" owner when modding the car. The closest guy on the list I posted to that might be BLitzkrieg, since that car is still running stock boost and street tires (but he does run meth injection)....11.4 @ 121.

As for the list, except for the very fastest "V"s, the number and cost of the mods it takes to get in the 10's is fairly minimal. I've got less than $3,500 in mods (including the Z06 rims and DRs) and have a console full of 10 second timeslips. To be honest, it's embarrassing how close it is to my Cobra's times with how few mods it has on it.

Also of note is that, so far at least, all the "V"'s have run on pump gas and nobody's taken any weight out......as far as I've seen at least. I imagine next year somebody might possibly yank a bunch of weight out, put a decent size shot on the car and squeak into the 9's.

Yeah, Tune only a guy on here is running an 11.6 on DR's on pump gas. Who knows how else he got there, maybe some octane boost but otherwise tune only.

Dad's on this forum is doing cams. He should be about 10.8 after his retune. With a NOS shot 10.5 or so.

Its a beautiful time to be alive. These numbers were unheard of 10 years ago! Now 11's out of the dealership for 70K is common.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 AM

2004 SVT Cobra
Its a beautiful time to be alive. These numbers were unheard of 10 years ago! Now 11's out of the dealership for 70K is common.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
It is the new Golden Age for enthusiasts, so much performance for the dollar is available out there it just comes down to personal preference. What used to be the realm of Supercars is now within the reach of ordinary Joe. With Ford's Boss 302 the sub $50,000 market is going to be a force as well.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by ace996
Not banging the war drum with you, brother.

The best you saw was 598rwhp?, that's not much..."they" have done more. Even still, that's some 200rwhp higher than a stock C63, yes? Roughly 50% more? What's a full exhaust/intake/tune'd C63 putting down these days at the wheels, I"m honestly curious? I'm not so curious though about what it'd cost for the C. I found this over on the V-forum...some 1/4 times... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ions-list.html
Apparently, "they" have done better there, too.

For me, the dyno pissing contest doesn't mean much...and I'm not a drag/strip guy either. But you change the pulley, add meth-injection (I"ve used it with phenomenal success), and have a tuner do an honest tune...and that V is going to be basically untouchable for an NA motor. The torque delivery alone would be a game-ender. I'm curious to see the dyno plots of both cars...the torque curves...stock or modded, but modded would be a unfair, no?

Again, I'm debating them both for my daily-driver. I probably won't mod either, as it's pointless for me to mod a car that's not going to do trackwork.
But take either car, modded to whatever level you choose and equal drivers (cause we both know that's what really matters) to Watkins, or Monticello, or Pocono (even East) and the C is going to be violently raped. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I still think I'd like a C63...just sucks that it doesn't have a third pedal.

The C63 is much more road course capable than you might believe with just a few improvements. Switching to wider R compound tires( I use R888's) lower, stiffer springs and adjusting the rear toe from severely in to nuetral makes an incredible difference. Adding an extra 125 bhp doesn't hurt either. Being normally aspirated provides great throttle control with power coming on very smoothly to assist the handling and eliminates any heat soak issues which our FI bretheren have to deal with. My experience is certainly not vast but my C has dominated all the DE run groups that I have participated in up to and including the white group. The only exception is two weeks ago when I was "violently raped" by a 2001 Z06, gutted interior, sparco seats Hoosier R6's etc. I worked very hard to stay in front as we worked through traffic but when we cleared i gave him a point and he left me for dead.(video is below, he goes by at the 5:25 mark) After the session he did come over to our "camp" to find out about the 4 door and I could tell it made a good impression.

The C63 has a very specific personallity if you will and I promise you it would not disappoint as a daily driver. I am now shopping for a dedicated track car and as you can imagine, the C5 Z06 is high on the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mlQ9QDRVX4
Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM

in Black group-NASA/PDA
Originally Posted by hhughes1
[/B]

The C63 is much more road course capable than you might believe with just a few improvements. Switching to wider R compound tires( I use R888's-I use them, too, they're great.) lower, stiffer springs and adjusting the rear toe from severely in to nuetral makes an incredible difference. Adding an extra 125 bhp doesn't hurt either-you have some major power gains?. Being normally aspirated provides great throttle control with power coming on very smoothly to assist the handling and eliminates any heat soak issues which our FI bretheren have to deal with- I've used meth before on a blown-Z06 and an STI with great success to combat the heatsoak. My experience is certainly not vast but my C has dominated all the DE run groups that I have participated in up to and including the white group. The only exception is two weeks ago when I was "violently raped" by a 2001 Z06, gutted interior, sparco seats Hoosier R6's etc. I worked very hard to stay in front as we worked through traffic but when we cleared i gave him a point and he left me for dead.(video is below, he goes by at the 5:25 mark) After the session he did come over to our "camp" to find out about the 4 door and I could tell it made a good impression.-damn, I would have, too. Great job on the track with the C63, lines were clean and consistent and the SOUND when you were next to the pit-wall was pure sex!!!!

The C63 has a very specific personallity if you will and I promise you it would not disappoint as a daily driver. I am now shopping for a dedicated track car and as you can imagine, the C5 Z06 is high on the list.
- good luck with your search. If you're looking for a buttoned-up C5Z, contact Phoenix Performance in PA for a T1 prepped car - they always have them for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mlQ9QDRVX4
Man, I'd have a hard time not bringing a C63 to the track after seeing that vid. Best part would be I could take 3 students around for reference-point training...

Be good,
TomK
Old 11-20-2010, 04:28 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
hhughes1,
Nice run man!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
the C63 is like a stainless steel Rolex Submariner, it says alot about quality style and being a cultural icon. The CTS-V is like a Casio G-shock, its a great watch, it does more than the Rolex but in the end its a Casio, it will always lack the statement the C63 makes. (keep in mind I love all great cars and the CTS-V is a great one, but this explains why I bought the C63 instead)
You couldnt put anyway better then u did: I absolutely agree with you. I like wearing my Rolex and driving c63 instead of having a gshock and driving ctsv.

Next thing is driving an SLS and wearing a patek phillipe now thats classy=DDD
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 09 C63, Vipers (sold)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I will add some more popcorn.
The C63 tuned will fare better than a tuned V with pulleys at higher speed.
At the last mile run in Miami, all C63s (168mph tuned only, 172mph tuned only, 180mph tuned and modded) did better than the 2 Vs (160 stock and 161 tune and pulley).
You are talking quite a few car lengths here. It was the same with the GTRs. Both are quicker off the line than the Cs but we catch up past 100mphs. Do not under estimate the 6.3 motor. It has not been voted motor of the year for 2 years for nothing.
Different look between both so it will attract different buyers.
I agree that in general it is a turn off to go to a caddy dealer versus an MB dealer. The difference is that the C is the bottom of the litter versus the V is the top.
Regarding the OP's post, I think it is this kind of remarks that gives a bad name to the community.
I feel you can't go wrong with buying either car or even an M3 for that matter. They are all engineering master pieces in their own way.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I'll have some fun with this

I hear your statement about the watch comparison. But a G-shock for the CTS-v. or a Rolex for the C63? One of them has to come up or go down. I could see an Ironman to a G-shock. or even a IWC to a Rolex. Or even a swiss quartz movement to a swiss Automatic. These cars (C63 and CTS-V) are closer than one would think.

Keeping with the watch based theme (which I like)

Your not going to take a leather strap watch on a scuba diving trip. On the same respect you wouldn't ware a rubber strapped watch to a formal dinner. These cars to me and I stress "To Me" don't fit either of those occasions.

I think that would leave both of these car (keeping with the watch theme) Stainless steel watches. However there are so many stainless steel watches available.

Being that both cars are luxury sport sedans. I would be more apt to say the C63 is more favorable to a Breitling Super Avenger. Very popular watch amongst Breitling fans, still not seen every day. C63 Very popular car amongst AMG fans and not seen every day.

The CTS-V being more commonly seen than a C63, but still a solid performer in all aspects. It too deserves Swiss automatic status from its hand made engine like the C63's hand made engine. However based on how common a CTS-V is. It would strongly remind me of Tag-Heuer status. Maybe even an upper end Tag.

Horologists would seem to be more apt to show an interest in a Breitling than a Tag-Heuer. If the Breitling is the C63 you would be thought of as more of a connoisseur. Rather than the person who bought Tag-Heuer because the jewelry store in the Mall doesn't carry Breitling.

In all respects this comparison of a Mercedes to a high end watch like Rolex or even my comparison to the Breitling doesn't really work. This is becuase Mercedes has a watch made by... guess???? Tag-Heuer. Called the Tag-Heuer SLR... Go figure

So I guess if the Mercedes is a Tag-Heuer the Caddy is a Raymond Weil
Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I usually don't post on here, but since I have first hand experience of CTS-V vs C63 I will let you guys know what happens...

When my CTS-V was bone stock I raced my friend's C63 and pulled it slowly (not by all that much though).

After I did $2,000 in mods which were Pullies, Cold Air Intake, and Tune, I raced multiple C63's. One of them was a Kleeman-tuned C63. I pulled him like a freight train.

The other memorable race against a C63 was Hagi's (Mthis). His black C63 was very, very fast. Anything under 50mph and he'd hook up instantly and walk away because of his Mickey Thompson tires compared to my OEM rubber which would spin out in the cold weather. To get a fair comparison, we started at 60mph and lined up perfectly. 3 honks and I started to pull. The walk continued all the way into about 180mph. I believe I was about 3 car lengths ahead of him? Maybe more? He would probably remember and his POV was better since I was focused on what was straight ahead of me (Mexican roads can be dangerous at night with the deers and all).

$ for $ the CTS-V is definitely faster than the C63. It's a very simple formula though. 6.2l V8 vs Supercharged 6.2l V8. However, the C63 is VERY fast considering it's N/A! Also, one area where Hagi definitely surpassed me was in the sound. For those who are american muscle fans, the C63's sound is to die for.

Last edited by ItalianStallion; 12-02-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
I wish C63 owners would just stop putting down the CTS-V. It's not a bad car at all.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Despite the fact that none of us can/has been able to precisely state using the English language why we bought our C63's over other vehicles, we all know. And it's probably the same reason for most of us.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Italian Stalion: Don't know where you are located but would love for you to back up your claim and come to the mile run in Miami next time and see how you pull on us like a freight train.
None of the CTS-V last time that were runnin (see my post above) there could outperform us and were much slower...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT2 C63 and yo sister
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I wish C63 owners would just stop putting down the CTS-V. It's not a bad car at all.
and i want to be clear, Im not putting down the CTS-V, its a great car I almost bought one, I just liked the C63 better and I didnt want a GM product for a number of reasons, I mean this is the same argument c63 vs CTS-V or 911 vs corvette, I think its great news Cadillac has a manual transmission available in their super sedan and they they it at the ring, hooray we all win
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
and i want to be clear, Im not putting down the CTS-V, its a great car I almost bought one, I just liked the C63 better and I didnt want a GM product for a number of reasons, I mean this is the same argument c63 vs CTS-V or 911 vs corvette, I think its great news Cadillac has a manual transmission available in their super sedan and they they it at the ring, hooray we all win
Your not the only American who would say that for one reason or an other..

Im not a fan of Government Motors... at least thats my reason. My other reason is, My good friend had the older CTSV and it was a rattle box.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Jesus *******g Christ, what is this the millionth thread about the CTSV ans C63?!!! A c63 AMG is a C63 AMG, and a CTSV is a CTSV, they are two different cars and there is no need to argue over it!!! get a life and debate about something that makes sense instead of going over and over the same sh*t!!!!!!1
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
C63=LION(LOUD AND FIERCE)
M3=TIGER(AGILE AND COOL)
CTS-V=CHEETAH(FAST AND UGLY)
NOUGH SAID.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Your not the only American who would say that for one reason or an other..

Im not a fan of Government Motors... at least thats my reason. My other reason is, My good friend had the older CTSV and it was a rattle box.

Government Motors.. good one..

The 2004 CTSV was the first year. Yes, it fell apart around the engine and was plagued by big time wheel hop issues. For its time however it was a very fast machine and would turn many heads.

The LS motor however is a powerhouse. You can make some serious power easily and cheap.

The 2009-2010 CTSV is an amazing car. You can run in the 10's easily with a pulley and 12 psi and a cold air intake on DR's.

Im tempted constantly by it... but im loving running NA right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by tasho3
Jesus *******g Christ, what is this the millionth thread about the CTSV ans C63?!!! A c63 AMG is a C63 AMG, and a CTSV is a CTSV, they are two different cars and there is no need to argue over it!!! get a life and debate about something that makes sense instead of going over and over the same sh*t!!!!!!1

Maybe a car forum isn't a good place for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 v CTSV one statement says all you need to know