Sponsored by:

Air Filters??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Air Filters??

Im sure this topic has been covered before but I have searched and really haven't found what is the best aftermarket Air Filter for C63 if any.
Is it actually worth doing. Any gains? K & N or BMC?
From what I have read seems the oil on the filters can cause problems. In Australia we don't have charcoal filters. Would I be best just leaving factory filters in?
If there is already a thread on this topic can someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF
Originally Posted by AMG-010
Im sure this topic has been covered before but I have searched and really haven't found what is the best aftermarket Air Filter for C63 if any.
Is it actually worth doing. Any gains? K & N or BMC?
From what I have read seems the oil on the filters can cause problems. In Australia we don't have charcoal filters. Would I be best just leaving factory filters in?
If there is already a thread on this topic can someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
I've had BMC installed, no error or warning light so far to date. do a search on "filters"
Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
You might want to add the pipercross foam filters as well. There are a few people running them here on this forum.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Found some Pipercross here. There not cheap though
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIPERCROSS-FIL...item439c68b638
Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
As strange as it sounds, BMC's feel very different from stock paper filters, even when you have the carbon filters removed.

The engine revs faster with BMC's in. The torque hit comes harder and is more available with the BMC's.

Like others have said, I have experienced no CEL's or engine codes with BMC's, or carbon delete, but and this is a big, "but," the BMC's cause the car to have a chugging problem and some surging.

I don't know what this is caused by. It's not the oil, because there is no oil residue on my MAF or the inside of my air boxes after several thousand hard driven miles.

I believe it has to do with the extra air coming in through the BMC's and how that interrelates with the eletronic throttle control that is set to function with the stock paper filters. So, it seems like the chugging problems with the BMC's really only happen at very low speeds when light throttle is engaged.

If you engage the throttle too fast with the BMC's, sometimes, the car will literally skip a beat before it wakes itself up and leaps forward (and with the BMC's it will leap forward more so than it will with stock paper filters, which do make the engine feel a little more starved for air than the BMC's do.

My experiences.

That said, I really liked the BMC's. And I will most likely re-install them soon. But, overall, the car drives smoother with the paper filters. Plus, the BMC's make the car a bit louder, which is nice.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 11-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:59 AM

GF
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
As strange as it sounds, BMC's feel very different from stock paper filters, even when you have the carbon filters removed.

The engine revs faster with BMC's in. The torque hit comes harder and is more available with the BMC's.

Like others have said, I have experienced no CEL's or engine codes with BMC's, or carbon delete, but and this is a big, "but," the BMC's cause the car to have a chugging problem and some surging.

I don't know what this is caused by. It's not the oil, because there is no oil residue on my MAF or the inside of my air boxes after several thousand hard driven miles.

I believe it has to do with the extra air coming in through the BMC's and how that interrelates with the eletronic throttle control that is set to function with the stock paper filters. So, it seems like the chugging problems with the BMC's really only happen at very low speeds when light throttle is engaged.

If you engage the throttle too fast with the BMC's, sometimes, the car will literally skip a beat before it wakes itself up and leaps forward (and with the BMC's it will leap forward more so than it will with stock paper filters, which do make the engine feel a little more starved for air than the BMC's do.

My experiences.

That said, I really liked the BMC's. And I will most likely re-install them soon. But, overall, the car drives smoother with the paper filters. Plus, the BMC's make the car a bit louder, which is nice.
I've noticed this also when I want to do a quick acceleration in the middle of traffic, the car does not respond immediately, there is a bit of delay which i thought because im in the wrong gear, but the transmission should lower the gear immediately without any delay.... so will ECU performance upgrade eliminate this issue? so the BMC should work in parallel with upgraded ECU flash ? that would be my guess

Last edited by DTMCLK; 11-25-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DTMCLK
I've noticed this also when I want to do a quick acceleration in the middle of traffic, the car does not respond immediately, there is a bit of delay which i thought because im in the wrong gear, but the transmission should lower the gear immediately without any delay.... so will ECU performance upgrade eliminate this issue? so the BMC should work in parallel with upgraded ECU flash ? that would be my guess
I noticed the "throttle delay" when I had the car totally stock. It was my biggest gripe with this supposed performance car. I have since had a Kleeman K1 ECU tune and installed K&N filters. This has helped somewhat, although the delay is still there sometimes when I'm in "S" or "C" mode. The only way I have found to get around it is to stay in "M" mode as much as possible.

Last edited by Baby Gorilla; 11-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Anyone try the Sprint Booster on the 63? I had it on my E55, and it made the throttle response snappy
Old 11-25-2010, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by DTMCLK
I believe a dyno tune or road tune can properly dial in any issues with the BMC's. Perhaps a flash tune could accomplish this, but it would be luck if it did the trick -- not saying it couldn't do the trick.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Anyone try the Sprint Booster on the 63? I had it on my E55, and it made the throttle response snappy
Could be wrong but I was under the impression that you don't need a sprint booster if you're tuned?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
unless someone can prove the stock filter is a restriction, I see no reason not to use the excellent OEM paper filters.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
on the dyno i noticed no difference between the factory filters and the bmc