C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NSX chasing C63 at track(Toronto Motorsports Park, aka. cayuga)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M156 and LS7
NSX chasing C63 at track(Toronto Motorsports Park, aka. cayuga)

the NSX driver posted the video about chasing me at my local 3km long track, no headers installed yet, had K1, LSD, H&R, BS RE-11s and another passenger, the track is suitable for lightweight cars, C63 is 990 lbs heavier, from the video, it doesn't look that fast, still I did reach 118mph at the end of the long straight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Yi-zjMCIY
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
That was funny. I love watching Rally races
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
Cool. I used to do a lot of drag racing there in my srt4 days. Definately set up for lighter and nimbler cars, but you held your own!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
What a fun track! He was really pushing hard to keep up. That track is much better suited to a light NSX than a C63 and you still made him look "amateurish"

Les
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Thats a Mickey Mouse course, the C63 has no chance to stretch its legs...
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I smell a new clutch in that NSX's future.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by LZH
I smell a new clutch in that NSX's future.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
tight little track!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM

C63 AMG
Looks fun.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
That's a nice video. I've only been to TMP once in my 135i, but enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope to go there again this year. It's a short little track, and very technical. A few comments:

Was your passenger an instructor?........the lines you were taking were a bit odd in some corners. In my opinion, you probably could have gone faster by taking different racing lines.

I think the NSX was clearly faster than you on this track. It's the typical story of the high powered C63 pulling away on the straights, but the better handling and lighter NSX seriously pulling you in during braking and cornering. The NSX driver fell into the trap of over-cooking it at the first turn after he passed you and spun off the track at the end of the video.

Do you know what tires the NSX was on?........and was it modded?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
That's a nice video. I've only been to TMP once in my 135i, but enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope to go there again this year. It's a short little track, and very technical. A few comments:

Was your passenger an instructor?........the lines you were taking were a bit odd in some corners. In my opinion, you probably could have gone faster by taking different racing lines.

I think the NSX was clearly faster than you on this track. It's the typical story of the high powered C63 pulling away on the straights, but the better handling and lighter NSX seriously pulling you in during braking and cornering. The NSX driver fell into the trap of over-cooking it at the first turn after he passed you and spun off the track at the end of the video.

+1 , I wasnt there but I'd be clipping those Apexs more..........

Amazing that the NSX spun out, he wasn't even going that fast on the right hander?? At 5:31-5:32 NSX over-steered and then over corrected before the right hander.............

I saw your signal to pass, BUT on his post, the NSX guy acts like he passed you involuntarily..........
Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM

M156 and LS7
instructor was in my car, we were precticing new lines for certain corners, lines also depend on cars, my friend who drives a GT3 use quite a different line, you always can polish skills, better lines and squeeze time off. this track is the heaven of Civic type R, light weight FF cars, not sure about the specs of the nsx

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie

Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM

M156 and LS7
no way he can pass me in straight, I let him pass, he kept accelerating then he breaked too late before the right hander

Originally Posted by Newzchspy

Amazing that the NSX spun out, he wasn't even going that fast on the right hander?? At 5:31-5:32 NSX over-steered and then over corrected before the right hander.............

I saw your signal to pass, BUT on his post, the NSX guy acts like he passed you involuntarily..........
Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Newzchspy

+2
Looks like you were missing most of the apexes and throwing off your exit/running wide and not being able to get back on the throttle soon enough. Many times on tight tracks like this you have to "give up" an exit point to get the car lined up for the next corner entry. Had you been hitting the cones and a bit smoother, I'm sure the NSX would have never passed you. Especially considering the NSX driver didn't know how to shift his car very well under braking.
Regarding the spin....I see this happen with novice drivers all the time. They have no problem doing lead and follow sessions. But give them an open track and they have a very hard time keeping all 4 wheels on. Without a reference point (ie another car in front of them), it becomes diffucult to judge just how far you can push it. That is why he spun, and also because his downshifts were horrible, no rev matching and disrupting the balance of the car during turn in. Obviously the NSX driver hasn't learned that you need to get all your braking done in a straight line (unless you're trail braking). Tires can only do 3 things; brake, accelerate and turn....and when you make them do more then one thing at the same time they tend to loose grip quickly.

Last edited by LZH; 01-13-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:29 PM

NSX, C63 P31, stg II B8 S4
I just noticed this linkback from youtube. I'm the NSX driver. I posted the video mostly to try to rally my friends and family to come out to the track sometime, it's a nice low-pressure environment at Cayuga, great for first-timers.

It was great fun, and it would be awesome to know when you are out there. I did stalk you on the track, since it looked like it would be the classic power vs handling battle. No way I ever would get by you, lol, even if I could cut faster laps. I have 200 less HP! But I have Dunlop Z1s. Otherwise stock.

Yes the spin was simply outbraking myself, I was watching your car in my mirrors. Look at the previous laps for my braking point 50 m back. "novice" error, lol yes, for you internet driving heroes here who have never driven a NSX, ferrari or 911 on a racetrack you'd have no idea that there's just no saving it once you're off the throttle and out of room. Needless to say, I don't edit out my mistakes...if you've never seen the grass, you're not really driving hard. I've seen plenty of grass and gravel...no need to hide it. No walls yet...

You were much faster without the instructor in your car. Heavy? and he must talk too much, he was chatting up my wife later on too, lol...

Thanks for the great few laps! The video turned out well for an iPhone...
Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/v/7fmHVpV0bj0?fs=1

Anyhow hopefully I can get one of my buds and his C63 out there too. He liked seeing your car out there, hopefully he'll give it a try.

Last edited by jspazz; 05-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Nice vid. Considering the NSX is near prehistoric it did a decent job in the twisties. Goofy track. Looks like the STIG practices there.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 PM

'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
I'm planning to attend the AMG driving academy, so I really enjoyed watching this. I agree with the assessment that the C63 driver should have continued to gain on the NSX, but avoidably lost ground in the corners. And of course the last few seconds illustrate that no car/driver can defy the laws of physics!

For those who might be interested, I've been reading the book "Going Faster" (http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-M.../dp/0837602262), and it gives a lot of insight into the technical issues discussed in this thread. Fascinating stuff.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 AM

Stig, LOL...yes it's like the top gear track! It's not far off from my work commute, so no excuses that I didn't have time to get out to the track. Nowhere really to hurt your car too badly.

Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I'm planning to attend the AMG driving academy, so I really enjoyed watching this. I agree with the assessment that the C63 driver should have continued to gain on the NSX, but avoidably lost ground in the corners. And of course the last few seconds illustrate that no car/driver can defy the laws of physics!
He was faster IIRC without the instructor, and I was definitely slower at other times with my wife in the car. It was her first time at a track, even though I've been lapping for many years albeit mostly on two wheels. Simply the weight of a passenger can make a second or more a lap difference on this tight, tight track with many directional changes. Although his passenger weighed at least double mine...

Honestly I can try to be faster and faster but let's be realistic. I am not young nor have much unexploited racing potential left, and have no higher ambitions here at the track asides from sliding the car around the tarmac. I am not interested much in getting faster at the expense of having fun. Dicing with another car (at least in a safe manner as in the vid) is the most fun you can have out there! There are these two guys that show up in these JDM RHD turbo Nissan hatchbacks worth less than your MB navigation package option, and they run each other off the track and almost bang doors, I was jealous indeed.

Here's a view of the NSX from behind, it's a guy I met there in a viper filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuWsTLLVo78

I took my B8 S4 to the track last week, I'd only picked up the car the day before. It is fun, but not as challenging as the NSX...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO1cx7BWjik

Anyway I'd love to see more people in the Toronto/Hamilton area get out to TMP, Wed and Fri nite after work. If we don't support it it wont be around (even if the track owner is a d1@kwad...)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
I do note like Cayuga's road course, I was there the summer it was built ('97 or '98) and not impressed how small and tight it is.

Mosport is the place to be and separates the men from the boys.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Enjoyed this thread and video. No one intentionally bashing each other, and very good constructive criticism, and nice cars!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 AM

'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by khmergod
No one intentionally bashing each other
Certainly not my intention. Given my novice status with respect to performance driving, the NSX probably would have continued to gain on me, if I hadn't spun out first. And I don't think I could even get the wife in the car with me on a track.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
This is how a forum should look
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM

M156 and LS7
Hi ilspazzaneve,
Nice to finally meet you here, its a little surprise. I enjoyed the time we were at the track and had fun. Yes, you have to push hard enough to know the limits of your car and yourself. your car has 200+ hp less, still put down respectable lap time, we should come out and play

Originally Posted by ilspazzaneve
I just noticed this linkback from youtube. I'm the NSX driver. I posted the video mostly to try to rally my friends and family to come out to the track sometime, it's a nice low-pressure environment at Cayuga, great for first-timers.

It was great fun, and it would be awesome to know when you are out there. I did stalk you on the track, since it looked like it would be the classic power vs handling battle. No way I ever would get by you, lol, even if I could cut faster laps. I have 200 less HP! But I have Dunlop Z1s. Otherwise stock.

Yes the spin was simply outbraking myself, I was watching your car in my mirrors. Look at the previous laps for my braking point 50 m back. "novice" error, lol yes, for you internet driving heroes here who have never driven a NSX, ferrari or 911 on a racetrack you'd have no idea that there's just no saving it once you're off the throttle and out of room. Needless to say, I don't edit out my mistakes...if you've never seen the grass, you're not really driving hard. I've seen plenty of grass and gravel...no need to hide it. No walls yet...

You were much faster without the instructor in your car. Heavy? and he must talk too much, he was chatting up my wife later on too, lol...

Thanks for the great few laps! The video turned out well for an iPhone...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM

M156 and LS7
not me, car looks the same though, now my car is much louder

Originally Posted by ilspazzaneve
Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/v/7fmHVpV0bj0?fs=1

Anyhow hopefully I can get one of my buds and his C63 out there too. He liked seeing your car out there, hopefully he'll give it a try.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NSX chasing C63 at track(Toronto Motorsports Park, aka. cayuga)