Fluid Motor Union (mid-section) getting built/installed this week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by FluidMotorUnion
Yes, a dyno tune would help immensely. Cretangod5555 wasn't yet ready for the dyno tune, so we haven't done that yet. But that would eliminate the CEL for the midsection and help out with the AFR, as well.

I'm personally not sure what octane gas was used, but if I had to venture a guess, I would hedge my bets on good ol' 93 octane premium, since the C63 takes premium and Illinois only dispenses 93 octane from its premium pumps.
Man, you Illinois drivers are fortunate. That's really cool about the 93 octane at all the pumps.

Would the AFR lean out even more if 91 octane was run? I'm in CA, where 91 is the "premium" octane.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
AFR looks fine, nice job. The brace is like a 1ft x 2inch piece of metal, not that intricate and not that big of a cost. Plus most of us with LTHeaders don't even keep it on (mine is in my garage somewhere)....sounds like a 3hr cost/time reduction per unit. I counted 20 welds and 18 short cut pieces. in the last foot. But of course only a suggestion and it's your business.
AFR looks fine for what octane, 91 and 93? I'm just trying to learn here.

I understand there is some range for a safe AFR on these cars, but I don't know what that range is.

It looks like this midsection makes considerable power. And realistically, by this dyno, it looks like it makes almost as much hp as LT's, give or take 10 rwhp or so. With LT's and no tune I would think the car may get too lean, especially with 91 octane, so I was just wondering if similar provisions should be taken with this midsection as would be taken with LT's.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 02-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I appreciate the props on the welding.

Now, down to the nitty gritty. We did the workaround on the fly (as we didn't predict MB would add a support brace underneath), and it only took us about 2-3 extra hours to fashion the workaround. We are currently looking at other workaround ideas, as well; we have a prototype C63 midsection with us that utilizes a step-up before the x-pipe and step-down after the brace. The design to go around that brace might change again, as well (seeing that the step up and down will change the flow dynamics of the exhaust by a very negligible amount, resulting in power changes in the range of ~.1 hp, according to our testing), but the original "hump" wasn't factored into the price of the midsection.

Our goal in making this midsection was to perfect the fitment while leaving the vehicle as unmodified as possible.
Wow....I guestimatted the extra work at 2.5 and you said 2.0 - 3.0. Right on the dot! Looking forward to the design changes.

What would you guess the HP diff between the 93 and the 91 we have here out west?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Man, you Illinois drivers are fortunate. That's really cool about the 93 octane at all the pumps.

Would the AFR lean out even more if 91 octane was run? I'm in CA, where 91 is the "premium" octane.
The car won't lean out much more with the 91 octane, if at all. The cars are essentially built to run on 91 octane, so in theory the stock ECU (which cretangod has) should be more than capable of regulating the AFR.

Originally Posted by Sincity
What would you guess the HP diff between the 93 and the 91 we have here out west?
Negligible, maybe a couple two-t'ree ponies overall.

And after being told that there are a few gas station franchises in Illinois that run 91 (Gas City comes to mind), the owner could have used 91 octane in his tank, or had a hybrid of 91 and 93. I'm not too sure, we'd have to have him key in on this specific part.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
The car won't lean out much more with the 91 octane, if at all. The cars are essentially built to run on 91 octane, so in theory the stock ECU (which cretangod has) should be more than capable of regulating the AFR.

Negligible, maybe a couple two-t'ree ponies overall.

And after being told that there are a few gas station franchises in Illinois that run 91 (Gas City comes to mind), the owner could have used 91 octane in his tank, or had a hybrid of 91 and 93. I'm not too sure, we'd have to have him key in on this specific part.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How many ponies do you think it would rob if someone installs some Random Technology 3" cats? This catless DP/X-pipe equals or exceeds Kleemann K2 hardware but I don't want the noise.

EDIT: Can you post the dyno chart with the TQ curves?

Last edited by Sincity; 02-21-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C 63 AMG
Alright, here's some price information for you:

We're going to offer this midsection for $1499.

Yes, we realize that the price is a bit high, but we're not manufacturing these on a large scale, nor do we outsource a single piece of construction outside the shop. Robots won't be welding this exhaust, Tom and Craig will. These are basically made-to-order midsections. We also believe that the sound change and power gains over stock should help rationalize the price point as well.

We're not selling this as some sort of quick hack-and-slash job. We put a premium amount of work into the products we decide to sell, and we only sell them in small quantities, so we believe that marketing these pieces as a premium product is apropos.

Besides, compared to higher-end BMW products, it's actually not a bad price point. The Active Autowerke midsection for the M3 currently runs about $2000 dollars, and they use all the same materials that we do, plus a robot makes it, and they push those things out in larger quantities.

In terms of fitment, this midsection will fit up to the stock headers (or any headers that utilize the stock header flanges/position) in the front and the stock resonator box in the rear. More info can be gleaned from the longer post I made on the first page, or you can make a post on here/PM/e-mail me with any specific questions.
Can this be fitted to a RHD C63? If it does, I'm interested