C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Readiness Monitors (Can't pass emissions test)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
Originally Posted by casper_c230
The title seems relevant to me. In fact, I'm looking for the exact same thing about how to set the readiness code for the Catalyst monitor. Searching for this topic is how i came about this thread. i'm having the same issue. smog due the next of this month. ugh.

so does anyone know of any other drive cycle to ok this other than driving 48-54mph for 3 minutes? Doesn't seem to work for me.
^^ I drove ~100mi on the turnpike to set mine after having the battery disconnected for a few weeks. 2003 C230
Old 02-26-2011, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know the MB drive cycle, but most cat monitors require some steady state and a fuel cut event (lift throttle, decelerate for a breif time) like coming off an onramp. Keep speed to 55 max. If you want to know what drive cycle all OBD are required to run on, do a search for 40CFR Part 86...don't know the subpart offhand, but there is an table for the speed/time trace in one of the Appendix for the LA-4 drive cycle. Every monitor MUST run during this cycle. Usually cat monitors run during the second hill event, about 200 seconds into the trace.

Last edited by jza80; 02-26-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55 amg
Hi

I need to know whether removing my catalytic converter would damage my vehicle im driving a clk 55 and i already removed it but wanted to know if this would be of damage to my vehicle.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
A Reflash was the Cure...

Essentially a small portion of the Kleeman tunes incorrectly had the readiness monitors disabled and / or the rear O2 sensors were disabled (this is typically done for customers that are running Race Headers without cats)

Kleeman (Cory / Brandon) stepped up right away and resolved the issue. Obviously it was a bit inconvienant but these things happen... I give them props for being a stand up organization and acting fast.

After the new TUNE was installed, I drove according to the procedure in my previous post (link). The monitors cleared very quickly and we passed emissions easily even without the rear cats (replaced with an X).

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
any idea what the date was for this change? all tunes after X date don't need to get reflashed?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM

AMG C63
Originally Posted by casper_c230
The title seems relevant to me. In fact, I'm looking for the exact same thing about how to set the readiness code for the Catalyst monitor. Searching for this topic is how i came about this thread. i'm having the same issue. smog due the next of this month. ugh.

so does anyone know of any other drive cycle to ok this other than driving 48-54mph for 3 minutes? Doesn't seem to work for me.
Perhaps you're confused... Vegas_AMG_C63 (me) started a thread about emissions... and Crotondo555 asked about the fiber optic system, which has nothing to do with emissions or this post. So I advised him to post a new topic related to his question.

Last edited by Vegas_AMG_C63; 02-28-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM

AMG C63
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
any idea what the date was for this change? all tunes after X date don't need to get reflashed?
I don't think it's that simple as just tunes after this date... However, I believe that they can check to see if your car would be effected with the last 6 digits of your VIN.

In any case, I'll hand this topic over to Kleeman from here to explain further, if necessary. I'm sure they will provide you with the best information.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG_C63
A Reflash was the Cure...

Essentially a small portion of the Kleeman tunes incorrectly had the readiness monitors disabled and / or the rear O2 sensors were disabled (this is typically done for customers that are running Race Headers without cats)

The monitors cleared very quickly and we passed emissions easily even without the rear cats (replaced with an X).
Does this mean that the Race Header tune will not pass OBDII emissions? What X are you running?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM

AMG C63
In order to pass swog with the new OBDII regulations, you need to have your monitors enabled and live data streaming from your front & rear O2 sensors.

If you have Race Headers and no cats, there is no way to pass emissions with them installed at least in states like NV and CA. I know some states backeast don't even really have smog tests (SC I believe?)

If you have a Race Header Tune... the programmers will turn off the monitors and any CEL when the codes are related to not having cats but... the root problem is still there and the Smog Stations will pick it up.

I've often wondered what owners with this setup are doing (besides switching the system back to stock or having a friend pass them).

In my case, my primary cats are intact but they mistakenly disabled the monitors and thus we had the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Hans Delbruck (07-23-2016)
Old 03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
In order to pass swog with the new OBDII regulations, you need to have your monitors enabled and live data streaming from your front & rear O2 sensors.

If you have Race Headers and no cats, there is no way to pass emissions with them installed at least in states like NV and CA. I know some states backeast don't even really have smog tests (SC I believe?)

If you have a Race Header Tune... the programmers will turn off the monitors and any CEL when the codes are related to not having cats but... the root problem is still there and the Smog Stations will pick it up.

I've often wondered what owners with this setup are doing (besides switching the system back to stock or having a friend pass them).

In my case, my primary cats are intact but they mistakenly disabled the monitors and thus we had the problem.
Any new vehicle purchased after 2006 in NJ has 5 a year inspection
window. 4 year new window sticker + a 1 year extension. My car
is not due for inspection until 2015.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does this mean if you have the sensors in place with headers and no cats, it will still not pass OBDII? How about K2 hardware since cats and sensors are in place? This emissions thing has my head spinning a little.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 PM

AMG C63
The ECU uses a pre cat O2 sensor and a post Cat O2 sensor.

The precat sensor is used to measure air / fuel ratio and the ECU uses this data to determine how much fuel to add to get the best mileage or horsepower.

The ECU then uses the readings from the post cat sensor to determine how efficient the catalytic converters are by measuring the delta between the readings.

So there needs to be a cat in the middle there otherwise you will get a catalyst effeciency code and you will not pass emissions.

Typically in a catless car, you'll not be able to clear the monitors for a smog check and you'll get a CEL for catalytst ineffeciency (since there isn't one). Programmers can keep the CEL from displaying on your dash but I'm not aware of any that have figured out how to also pass a smog check.

I'm pretty sure NV is now testing once a year... It's getting to be more like California every day.

Last edited by Vegas_AMG_C63; 03-02-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ If that is the case, then it is not worth the hassle of getting headers. In NV, new cars do not need to be smogged until the second year and then every year thereafter.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
any updates on the drive cycle for the c63 or w204?

i've got the oxygen sensor and the oxysensor heater not ready... i need either one of them ready to pass inspection... been driving quite a bit and they are not on and i'm not getting any cels either to tell me something isn't working.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
its something along the lines of drive 65-75mph for 10 minutes and do 3 deceleration cycles (just let off the gas pedal and coast without braking) of atleast 20 seconds within one drive cycle. you'll need to do this atleast 2 separate cycles. If your tune has these disabled it may also cause them to never go ready.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
My o2s are turned on. So i believe it's a matter of the right drive cycle.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bluejae: Did you recently have to unhook the battery cable(s) or change the battery?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by Sincity
Bluejae: Did you recently have to unhook the battery cable(s) or change the battery?
the battery was not messed with... i had the car in for a stored code which the dealership felt was just a generic code that didn't cause any problems so they cleared it. after receiving my car back, everything was in the not ready status. since then i've driven a few hundred miles and everything but 3 of them were ready...

secondary air
o2 heater
o2 sensor

after driving some more the secondary air one went to ready status about 2 days ago. now i'm left with the o2 heater and o2 sensor.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is weird. My car was in for service last year and somehow my readiness monitors were turned off (car is tuned and passed emissions the year prior) and when I went to emissions, it failed the readiness section. Not sure what they did and paperwork didn't say they reflashed. Tried to reset cycle and it didn't work and had to send back for a re-flash.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by bluejae
My o2s are turned on. So i believe it's a matter of the right drive cycle.
Can you confirm what you did for drive cycle? Having the same issue. In my case I had the manifold repaired and then cleared the pending code. Thx

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 01-10-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
Can you confirm what you did for drive cycle? Having the same issue. In ny case I had the manifold repaired and then cleared the pending code. Thx
It wasn't a drive cycle issue with me, had to do with my tune.

I drove thousands of miles and it never went to ready status.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
02 sensors "not ready" with Kleemann tune

Wish I had searched the forum 1000 miles ago. Great info, thanks to all.

I have been to smog guy twice, dealer twice, Indy shop once. 6 weeks later sensors still not ready. Failed 3 times now.

Car has 29k miles now and still flawless!

Hopefully Kleemann / ACG can get this resolved on my '08.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm at 21k now! How have you been Hans? Been a long time since I've seen a post from you.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Hey SinCity! Got my updated K1 file and the car passed!

Cory at Kleemann was very straightforward and updated my file without issue. Thank you Cory! James at ACG in San Diego did the install and I drove back to OC and straight to the smog guy -- car passed with no problems. Very happy (guess I will put that Hellcat on hold - for now )

I must add that James' business / ACG has really grown and has an impressive list of clientele and some really hot cars in there! This can only happen when you are focused, professional, trustworthy and consistently provide excellent service. Great to see one of the good guys do so well!

My '08 is still solid as a rock and dialed in. I love that it doesn't have all the tech going into cars now. I just want hydraulic steering, fixed suspension, and a hand built engine - from a factory I am grateful to have been able to visit.

AMG Uber Alles!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 AM

2014 C63 AMG Coupe 507 ED
[QUOTE=Sincity;4533535]Cool. Vegas_AMG and I live in the SW. Whereabouts are you? There was another guy that lives in Red Rock; forgot his SN.

Hey I live in Henderson ? We should meet up! I’m having the issues too with the smog test with my LTH and no cats

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OBDII Readiness Monitors (Can't pass emissions test)