Eurocharged Power Pulley 63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
While I agree with much of your post, AMS, I disagree with this part (from a technical standpoint). AMG's engineers designed the M156 crank pulley to be a certain size, which by itself doesn't mean much, but is useful to know in relation to the ratio of pulley size vs. the sizes of the various accessory pulleys. The goal presumably to reach the optimal rpm ranges of the accessories, without over or under-driving them outside of their manufacturer-specified operating ranges.

As such, it isn't really possible to say something is "under-driven from the factory" - the factory drive ratio is the baseline from which to compare alternative solutions' merits. IMHO.
Yes, but even in your post you basically acknowledge that they are under-driven. If all the other accessories are standard MB accessories and the crank pulley is a smaller diameter ... by definition the entire system is under-driven (probably for both performance reasons and also b/c the 6.3L redline is significantly higher than the standard V8s). Other added benefits of a smaller diameter crank is improved inertia characteristics & etc. Whether this was 100% intentional or just another positive by product of underdriving is hard to determine, however the results are the same nonetheless.

hope that helps,
AMS
Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Both pulleys are roughly in the 4.x lb range, stock pulleys are usualy 6.3-7.0 lbs depending. Ours are 2.8 lbs (6.3 pulley not released yet).

Hope that helps,
AMS
Well hurry up!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
don't want to hijack the thread, this is eurocharged's thread. It will be some time before it comes out later this year. Thx
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Yes, but even in your post you basically acknowledge that they are under-driven.
I do? Thought I was stating that they're not. Agree to disagree, I suppose.