C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the real reason why C63 tires wear so fast?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cclass
Originally Posted by Palladin
Totally agree with you. I did a lot of research on this topic since I use my car as a daily driver and do about 25K miles per year. It was getting really annoying and expensive. The C63 comes with very extreme toe-in at the rear (spec is .48 degrees total toe-in at rear, compared to only .20 degrees at the front) which means you are essentially draging the rear tires down the road even when you are just cruising. Anything higher than .20 degrees total toe-in is considered unusually high. By the way, the camber spec is virtually the same front and rear at about -1.3 degrees. I do 90% highway miles and still only got about 4K miles out of the OEM pirellis. I switched to a 275 width tire with a much higher treadwear rating (Yokohama Avid Envigor in case anybody cares) and had the dealers alignment guy dial out as much toe-in as possible while remaining within MB safety specs (about .20 degrees total, just like the fronts). Now getting about 15K out of the rears with totally even wear from side to side and can't tell any difference in ride and handling. Sure there are a lot of factors that contribute to the horrible tire wear on this car (as discussed above) but I guaranty you the major one is the extreme toe-in setting from the factory.
hmm never thought about too much toe-in. typically if you have a lot of neg. camber, toe-in can compensate for inner tire wear. Maybe I'll dial some of the toe-in out and see how that helps. Thanks for sharing what you have experienced!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I just replaced my tires. The rears were toast at 6000 miles. I went ahead and changed out all 4 with the new Michelin Super Sports. I went with the bigger tire in the rear so we'll see if this set lasts longer!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
is the extreme Toe-In also the reason that as soon as I drive over wet surfaces, and my tires are slightly worn, my tail end gets so squirmy ?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I'm only going to add that I got about 10k off the original pzeros (which I found out later was 235 all around... guess teh dealer got cheap on the new tires). Most of my driving is highway, I live in MD, and work in VA, and drive the beltway around DC (reverse commute, so I don't see much stop stop traffic)...

And I drive like an ******* who just escaped from prison and is being chased by the police...

That leads me to believe, that while I am sure there are many factors as has been mentioned, but road surface and the type of roads (highway vs city streets) plays a really big part in tire wear.

I drive around 48 miles each direction every day...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
jvanbrecht,

I also reverse commute, I live in Alexandria, but work in Stafford. I only managed 7200 out of my PZeros. I also had a few trips up to NJ, and one trip to Pittsburgh on them.
And to be honest, I babied those tires. I went with Yokohamas, an All-Season tire. I have to admit, they do not have the performance of the PZeros, but are great in the rian, and light-median snow. They have thin side walls and tend to flex with cornering forces. But the best benefit is the wear, and the fact that I will not be replacing these every six months.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Yuille36
jvanbrecht,

I also reverse commute, I live in Alexandria, but work in Stafford. I only managed 7200 out of my PZeros. I also had a few trips up to NJ, and one trip to Pittsburgh on them.
And to be honest, I babied those tires. I went with Yokohamas, an All-Season tire. I have to admit, they do not have the performance of the PZeros, but are great in the rian, and light-median snow. They have thin side walls and tend to flex with cornering forces. But the best benefit is the wear, and the fact that I will not be replacing these every six months.

I got 6K out of my Pzero's. I hear people getting 12K plus out of all season tires (Jon). Jon drives his car hard so hes getting 12K with hard driving.

The "Problem" isnt the car or its configuration. Its the tire and its soft compound along with geography. Northeast cold temps with salty roads cause tire compounds to break down even quicker. That along with a terrible treadwear rating of the Pzero gives us the exact results I would expect out of a extreme performance tire.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Low tread wear + lead foot + abrasive concrete with (rain run-off pattern) = short life
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
So Palladin seems to have the answer. Extreme toe in.
This is what I meant by the engineering of the car.
Can anyone confirm that it is only the C that has that characteristic?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by emericr
So Palladin seems to have the answer. Extreme toe in.
This is what I meant by the engineering of the car.
Can anyone confirm that it is only the C that has that characteristic?

Pzeros across most car models with same HP/TQ of the C63 see the same result. 6-8K miles. If the extreme toe in was the problem you would see equal tread life on other brand tires. Simply replacing the Pzero with another brand adds tread life.

I think this is being WAY over thought.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
I don't know about you guys but I have tried 3 different brands of tires - Gforce, Hankook V12, and the Pzero and I don't get more then 5500-6500 miles out of them. All on the rear. My front tires have over 14k miles on them and they are fine. Now I understand this car is a rear wheel drive beast, and that I should expect to replace my rear tires more, but 3+ sets to 1 set front is pretty crazy.

In addition to this, after I put even 4000 miles on the tires, they absolutely blow in the rain. All of them. I thought it was just the V12's that had the effect (it seems it is more pronounced on the hankooks) but my tail end will not stay straight when I drive through water when they are worn in like that (I would assume just under 40-50% tread life at that point. I think it has to do with the alignment of the rear wheels.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
You see more tread life because the tires have a higher tread wear. I believe that most people with tread wear of 250 or less get 3K to 7K and with treadwear of around 500, people get about twice. The reason behind the variance is as people stated the driving style of the driver, the road conditions and highway versus city miles.
The other 63 cars do not have that kind of tire life. I know a few people with E63, SL63, SL65, CL63 and they get at least 20K miles and some get 30K.
I still think that Palladin may have the answer. I will go to the dealer and ask them the toe in settings of the other 63 cars.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by propain
wow... If your engine could get out of the car and smack you it would..

Why buy a performance car and drive it like an old lady? All I do is hard launches. Some burnouts of course leaving the line. No melts. 6K max.

What do you do? Drive in C and shift up to 3rd every time and never get on it? I cant imagine getting 12K out of the Pzero's.
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I got about 15,000 miles on the original set of rear P0's that came on my car. I got 30,000 miles out of the original front P0's.

I actually just got 5,000 miles on a set of 1/2 used rear P0's.

I would love to do standing hard launches, but I dont' have an LSD, so it's actually kind of dangerous because the car isn't very predictable when it's starts fishtailing.

And again, because I don't have an LSD, I can't exit corners very hard because the power isn't being put down like I would want. So, I have to stall the power delivery until the car plants a little more.

It's pretty lame actually, but it can all be solved with an LSD, down the road.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
My right foot contributes heavily to my rear tire wear.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
I have a LSD, but I can't imagine that being the main issue with the tire wear. I mean I do drive fairly aggressively but I don't attempt to spin the wheels too often. I am more then certain its the toe in the rear. After reading articles and comparing the C63 to other cars it does explain a lot, and makes sense. I know the tires I am using are not meant to last 15k miles, but 6k is way too short of a lifespan for me. I feel like I am constantly shopping for tires since I commute 15K+ miles a year.

I will test out what he said, I will have my shop change the alignment on my rear wheels this weekend. Gonna go ahead and purchase the lifetime alignment plan at the shop that way when I do take it to the track, I can change the toe back and alignment specs back to what is ideal for aggressive driving.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I got 6K out of my Pzero's. I hear people getting 12K plus out of all season tires (Jon). Jon drives his car hard so hes getting 12K with hard driving.

The "Problem" isnt the car or its configuration. Its the tire and its soft compound along with geography. Northeast cold temps with salty roads cause tire compounds to break down even quicker. That along with a terrible treadwear rating of the Pzero gives us the exact results I would expect out of a extreme performance tire.
Actually I got almost 10k miles with my Conti Ext DWS AS tires which has a 540trd wr. I did 3 dragstrip days. Plus I drive my car hard. No burnouts. Now I went wider 265 rears same tires.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I got about 15,000 miles on the original set of rear P0's that came on my car. I got 30,000 miles out of the original front P0's.

I actually just got 5,000 miles on a set of 1/2 used rear P0's.

I would love to do standing hard launches, but I dont' have an LSD, so it's actually kind of dangerous because the car isn't very predictable when it's starts fishtailing.

And again, because I don't have an LSD, I can't exit corners very hard because the power isn't being put down like I would want. So, I have to stall the power delivery until the car plants a little more.

It's pretty lame actually, but it can all be solved with an LSD, down the road.
My car has LSD. Thats why I got almost 10k miles with my aggressive driving.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
you are talking about tire wear on A/S tires. Those are built to have very high tread wear rating and to last a very long time. I had A/S on my M3 for a year and I did 20k miles on them, they were crappy compared to high performance summer rubber. I have no doubt that AS tires would last 10k+miles but thats still incredibly short for a A/S tire on this car.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Philipangoo
you are talking about tire wear on A/S tires. Those are built to have very high tread wear rating and to last a very long time. I had A/S on my M3 for a year and I did 20k miles on them, they were crappy compared to high performance summer rubber. I have no doubt that AS tires would last 10k+miles but thats still incredibly short for a A/S tire on this car.
With my very aggressive driving 10k is good. Drive it more normal 20k is possible. My Clk55 I drive it normal. I put in 10k miles on the same Contis AS tires and the rears look new.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 PM

cclass
Pzeros across most car models with same HP/TQ of the C63 see the same result. 6-8K miles. If the extreme toe in was the problem you would see equal tread life on other brand tires. Simply replacing the Pzero with another brand adds tread life.

I think this is being WAY over thought.
Sorry but I am not just talking about PZEROs.

I have the original PZEROs Asyms on my Mustang and they have a 140 treawear. The car makes more hp/trg and I drive it WAY harder. The tires have 4300 miles on them and have over half the tread left. My Cont DW have 1100 miles and they have a 340 treadwear and they have half the tread left.

So this isn't about "treadwear or soft tires".I know people with Maserati's and Panamera's that come with the exact same PZEROs (Although they are 20") and they are getting apprx 10-12k miles on their Rears.

I am telling you this isn't normal for our cars to get such short tread life.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by vtsnake

I have the original PZEROs Asyms on my Mustang and they have a 140 treawear. The car makes more hp/trg and I drive it WAY harder. The tires have 4300 miles on them and have over half the tread left. My Cont DW have 1100 miles and they have a 340 treadwear and they have half the tread left.

So this isn't about "treadwear or soft tires".I know people with Maserati's and Panamera's that come with the exact same PZEROs (Although they are 20") and they are getting apprx 10-12k miles on their Rears.

I agree with you. Of course we all expect high performance tires to go fast. But, 5-6K miles on the rears is what I have experienced and that's ridiculous.

The C63 is a fun car but I won't miss this particular issue.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
I took some toe-in out on the last alignment...not sure I like it in the corners seems a little more square and less aggressive but haven't had a chance to really test it. I will be dialing more in next time to see the difference.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
I took some toe-in out on the last alignment...not sure I like it in the corners seems a little more square and less aggressive but haven't had a chance to really test it. I will be dialing more in next time to see the difference.
Toe in on perf cars is not uncommon. I remember the NSX had a big problem with this.

Alignment issues create tell tale wear patterns, like scuffing and wear bands around tires. I can tell you that all my tire replacements, stock or not have had a pretty even wear at the time of replacement.

I really want some owners who do 80+% mid to high speed freeway driving to chime in please.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Ok so through my infinite searches it seems most people are getting anywhere from 2 to 5K miles out of their rear tires.

Of course most of you blame the high horsepower and tons of torque. IMO that doesn't make much sense. I have a Mustang with more power and the rear tires last at least 10K with lots of hard launches.

My C has 1200 miles and the rear tires have maybe 4/32s left on the inner edge. I am running 295/25R20 Cont DW. The cars been lowered in the front with HnRs and the rear has the thinnest OEM spring pads. I'm gonna have the alignment checked but regardless the outer edge might have 5 or 6/32s. So lets say it wore evenly across, that means I'd get maybe 2500 to 3000 miles on them. I drive the stang way harder than the C so what gives?

The high power theory just doesn't make much sense. There are plenty of cars out there with similar or more power but I'll bet you they get way more than 5K out of the rears.

So is it alignment, suspension geometry, or whatelse?

This thread isn't to complain about our crappy tire wear. I really want to see what some of you might think it is besides power.

Thanks!
So you've dropped the suspension with H&R (spring or coil overs?) this will add both negative camber and toe in causing inner tire edge wear. If you dail out toe in you create more negative camber and visa vesa. You'll have to find a happy medium with your alignment shop. With just springs (.75 drop) and stock wheels/tires you should be able to get by with adding camber bolts to the front. With the drop and 295/25/20 rears wheel/tires (what's the offset compared to stock?) you prolly exceeded the limits of rear eccentric adjustment. You'll have to add an adjustable toe steer link, upper dog bones, or in the worst case both. Of course with that wide a wheel/tire you may be stuck with -2 or more negative camber to stop them from rubbing. Your other option is to run symetrical directional tires and swap them left to right every couple thousand miles.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8

I'm guessing you also have a live rear axel under the Stang. When you step on it the entire axel moves up under the car, but the tire alignment stays relatively consistant. When you step on an IRS the wheels arch upward and inward creating more negative camber and hence more wear on the inside edge.

It is normal for a C63 to get poor rear tire wear due to;
1.IRS wear inner edges faster on any car.
2.Suspension geometry set up for rear tires that are too narrow.
(Hello MBZ punch out the rear wells and get some 305/315 on the back of this beast).
3.Lots of TQ from a dead stop that you don't even notice that partially spin very expensive grippy tires every time you take off even without punching it.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM

05 C55
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
It is normal for a C63 to get poor rear tire wear due to;
1.IRS wear inner edges faster on any car.
Bingo. You can help offset this with a set of adjustable camber arms. If you stand behind your car, you can see it leaning on the inner edges of the tires. Ever notice the negative camber on a late 70s Vette? The geometry of the IRS requires negative camber in order to maintain a flat contact patch when its in the turns. My driving is 90% straight line highway, and I was burning the inner edges of the tires constantly, regardless of manufacturer. I installed a set of adjustable arms, drove it to the alignment place, and explained what I wanted. They aligned it to factory spec, added positive camber, and that was it. The inner edges no longer burn out, and tires wear evenly. While this setup works well for me and the style driving that I do, its not necessarily the best setup for someone that will road race their car. If MB set the car up for ultimate tire wear, people would ***** that it was loose in the corners and had horrible lap times...so they go with a middle of the road setting. Some people will get normal tire wear, some people will not. This is just in addition to the obvious other factors (driving style, road surface, tire compound etc.).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What's the real reason why C63 tires wear so fast?