C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

What's the real reason why C63 tires wear so fast?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cclass
Originally Posted by propain
Good info you are providing. My only concern is the changes you are making to toe in from factory spec might improve tire wear but hurt traction and as others stated safety of the C63. If MB feels its a safety issue then why is it? Rear end will kick out easier due to over steer?

Is this test being done with an LSD or without? Another factor of tread wear.

For a true test you need to have factory Pzero's with stock toe in and then a fresh set of rears with your settings and compare the two. You also need to get it on the slalom, skid pad, 0-60 and 1/4 mile and compare performance. Ill take terrible tread life for performance any day.
Well definitely car manufacturers setup handling for safety for EVERYBODY. They dial out as much OVERSTEER as possible. They prefer the car to UNDERSTEER. This is because if a driver panics if the car is "sliding out", most are inexperienced to deal with it and don't know what to do. The first reaction most drivers would do is lift their foot off the gas pedal and hit the brake. This is a huge NO NO during an oversteering situation but if the car is understeering you will just come to a stop instead of spinning around.

Now the cars in the past that I setup up to drive like I was at the Nurburgring, I'd set EVERYONE up to oversteer. Some like a car to be setup neutrally but I like steering my car with the back end. (My first track car was a 91 Mustang)

I totally agree with you if you bought the car for performance and rather sacrifice tread life for performance. I was just hoping to find a happy medium. But for me tread life is more important since I absolutely don't "throw" the car around. I bought the car for TORQUE and the LOOKS. I love my 20" wheels on it (most here HATE 20" on the C). I am way too scared to fly around a corner and smack a pothole. 30 and 25 series tires don't help much for rim protection. . Also if I wanted it to handle well, I would've put VOLK TE37 18x8.5's on the front and 18x10's on the rear with the new Bridgestone Pole Positions! But 18's are so blah to me Also instead of HnR front springs and just OEM spring pads in the rear, it would be custom built Moton coilovers! But since my cars a stupid garage queen, I rather it be pretty.

Last edited by vtsnake; 06-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by vtsnake
Well the Pirelli Pzero is actually not a bad tire for performance. Are there better ones? Absolutely.

As alignment settings being for safety, that is absolutely correct. But why is the C63 toe settings SO different vs other cars with similar power?
My guess is that our car has a terrible balance and weight distribution for its suspension and that is one way to improve it. A 997 for example has better balance out of the box and an alignment compromise is then not needed.

I have to agree w PROPAIN though. Tire is just money...
Old 06-04-2011, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by vtsnake
Well definitely car manufacturers setup handling for safety for EVERYBODY. They dial out as much OVERSTEER as possible. They prefer the car to UNDERSTEER. This is because if a driver panics if the car is "sliding out", most are inexperienced to deal with it and don't know what to do. The first reaction most drivers would do is lift their foot off the gas pedal and hit the brake. This is a huge NO NO during an oversteering situation but if the car is understeering you will just come to a stop instead of spinning around.

Now the cars in the past that I setup up to drive like I was at the Nurburgring, I'd set EVERYONE up to oversteer. Some like a car to be setup neutrally but I like steering my car with the back end. (My first track car was a 91 Mustang)

I totally agree with you if you bought the car for performance and rather sacrifice tread life for performance. I was just hoping to find a happy medium. But for me tread life is more important since I absolutely don't "throw" the car around. I bought the car for TORQUE and the LOOKS. I love my 20" wheels on it (most here HATE 20" on the C). I am way too scared to fly around a corner and smack a pothole. 30 and 25 series tires don't help much for rim protection. . Also if I wanted it to handle well, I would've put VOLK TE37 18x8.5's on the front and 18x10's on the rear with the new Bridgestone Pole Positions! But 18's are so blah to me Also instead of HnR front springs and just OEM spring pads in the rear, it would be custom built Moton coilovers! But since my cars a stupid garage queen, I rather it be pretty.
I see your point. I think that when you are able to handle the oversteer properly, you should be able to play with the settings and find your favorite.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 PM

cclass
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Ty for this most useful information. I can only comment on the Porsche. If you run factory maximum toe in and negative camber you will chew up the rear inside edges like crazy. As the car is rear engine you can run the minimum numbers without much compromise in handling and get decent street milage out of the rears. With all the rear end weight bias the back end digs in and produces plenty of additional negative camber and toe in when you put your foot in it.
My C63 is on it third set of rears (second set of fronts) at 13k. I've not changed or checked the alignment. Wear was almost even across the backs so it's not too much camber or toe in. Must just be lots of torque put to good use.
Actually more toe-in helps with inner edge wear if you have more negative camber. Picture a tire with toe out. It's gonna wear the inside edge. A tire with toe-in will wear the outside edge. Now picture negative camber. The tire primarily is riding on the inside edge when going in a straight line which will wear the inside edge. So to compensate for that and to have more even wear, you want some toe-in.

Every Porsche I have experienced the ones that are getting inside edge wear are guys who primarily drive on the freeway or drive their cars like a granma. The ones that bought the car because it's a freaking sports car and drive them like that, their tires are worn a lot more evenly across.

I am sure most of you understand that negative camber gives you better grip through turns and understand how it does. But those that don't, to make it short, as a tire goes through a turn the outside tire (the one with the most pressure on it), those tires will camber more "positive". So basically lets say your tires have ZERO camber. As that tire goes through a turn it will only be contacting the ground with the outer edge. They key here is if you want more cornering grip, you want the tires to start negative so you get MAXIMUM frontprint on the ground as you go through a turn. The downside to this is if you don't always drive the car hard around turns, or drive a lot on the freeway, your tires will wear out the inside edge first.

Lots of people with Porsches are always complaining about how the inside edges wears out first. The ones that do and don't understand why, I laugh because I know they didn't buy their car because it handles well but for the "status" instead.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 PM

cclass
Originally Posted by cyberorth
I see your point. I think that when you are able to handle the oversteer properly, you should be able to play with the settings and find your favorite.
It's all about driver skill. Most racers tend to agree that oversteering is way better than understeering. Even guys I run into at the track during HPDE days that don't have any understanding how a car is setup or suppose to drive and they tell me their cars is "pushing", I first make sure it's not them improperly driving and if it's not I will just mess with their air pressures to make the car more "loose" so it oversteers more. EVERYONE that I have done that too says their car is much faster around the track that way . In my book LOOSE is GOOD! Of course you can only do so much with air pressures...
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 PM

2013 E350 4Matic
FWIW
I got 20k out of my factory continentals in my C350
I hate to disagree but I think it is the torque coupled with a lighter rear end
Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 PM

cclass
Originally Posted by michaeloliverio
FWIW
I got 20k out of my factory continentals in my C350
I hate to disagree but I think it is the torque coupled with a lighter rear end
Which Continentals?

Also the alignment specs are different for your car.

BTW I am not suggesting that part of the problem isn't the power. It obviously is.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 PM

2013 E350 4Matic
Continental contiPro contact 245-40-17
All seasons
Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 AM

cclass
Continental contiPro contact 245-40-17
All seasons
Do you realize that is a 60K mile tire?

I had the same tire on my C300. I took them off at 10K and they had apprx half tread left. So they would've also gone 20K. If you research tire manufacturers that have mileage warranty on tread life, you will notice that they are now only warranting only half the miles on cars with staggered tires. Basically the Cont. should've gone at least 30K.

Anyway thanks for sharing your info. It's telling me even more that the C itself has tire wear issues on the rear.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:38 AM

2013 E350 4Matic
I do realize it is a 60k tire.
I suspect there is some element of micro wheel slip with each takeoff from the rwd set up. It would be interesting to see if the 4matics have this issue.
In any event, I took it as a "pay to play" situation and enjoyed the heck out of it.
Now I'm in an '11 ml 350 bluetec. It is also 4matic with 50-50 distribution of torque. So I'll see how these bridge tone runflats do
Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM

cclass
I do realize it is a 60k tire.
I suspect there is some element of micro wheel slip with each takeoff from the rwd set up. It would be interesting to see if the 4matics have this issue.
In any event, I took it as a "pay to play" situation and enjoyed the heck out of it.
Now I'm in an '11 ml 350 bluetec. It is also 4matic with 50-50 distribution of torque. So I'll see how these bridge tone runflats do
My C300 is a 4MATIC. I can promise you I don't spin the tires.

I guarantee you won't like how the 19" Bridgestones wear. Worst tire EVER...runflats in general suck.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
I am definitely going to check on my toe setting when I get a chance but perhaps not with my new wheels on with fear the alignment equipment will scratch them, here is a clip from MotoIQ regarding toe settings, seriously wonder how the rear will behave with less toe-in

here is the link http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-your-toe.aspx
Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Every day I make the right hand turn to join the main road I know I spin the inside right rear wheel and I'm not flooring it. Then every day I leave work I make a left turn that causes the left rear wheel to spin a bit. Lots of torque on a lighter (than the other AMGs) car with no rear Diff will cause this.

To be honest had this been a non-AMG car, I'd be mighty upset, but I'm enjoying EVERY drive in this car so much that tire wear or fuel consumption are not as bad as they should seem. :-)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
It's gotta be the toe-in setting.

I'll wait and see what improvement a less aggressive alignment achieves for those who made the adjustment.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Longest Drift - Guinness World Record (2,308 meters)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcozIffTIVU
Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
So many variables in play here that an absolute answer is really not possible.

The stock P Zero's do wear quicker than several other brands with equal or even lower tread wear ratings. No one buys a second set.

The rear toe in settings are extreme and many cars are assembled and delivered at the maximum end of the range. These tires are not traveling close to a perpendicular path and will scrub across the entire width of the tire. Why? Maybe chassis dynamics, weight distribution, torque to tire width ratio .....who knows but for sure the car is intentionally set for massive understeer on purpose. M3 anyone?

I had my rear toe adjusted nearly neutral over a year ago. At the track, the difference with turn in is appreciable. I also have H&R springs and a Quaife LSD which both help managing the inevitable oversteer to the point that the car finally feels balanced in a track environment. At least until the front tires fade but 4000 pounds will do that quickly to R compounds.

Bottom line: I have nearly 11,000 street miles on a set of Dunlop Star Specs (265/35) that have just gone through the last wear bar and will be replaced this month. They also ran 2 track days before I bought a track package. They have worn much more evenly than the last pair that I used before the modifications and have lasted about 3,000 miles longer. My guess is that the alignment change, the LSD and the tire brand all contributed to doubling the life of the original P Zero's.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 AM

09 C63 AMG, 03 C320 Sport Coupe 96 Mustang
VTSnake - any update on your wear with the new rear alignment settings? What did you actually set the rear to?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

G'day from Oz!
Geez, Lots of "complicated" answers here, but I believe the answer is fairly simple, having had a similar issue myself with a previous car, my LS2 powered HSV GTO Coupe (fairly similar to the U.S. GTO, but the Aussie cars had 19" wheels with P Zero "ROSSO" tyres)
I have yet to take delivery of our C63, but the issues are similar.
There are also different "grades" of P Zero!
I wasn't happy with the tyre wear on the GTO, so I rang Pirelli. Their answer was that the P Zero "Rosso" was a very soft "high performance" tyre used on (at the time) F430s etc....the combination of high "TORQUE", & soft rubber, causing wear not only at accelerating away from a standing start, but during normal driving, as that torque is continually being transferred to the road via the "soft" rubber, which equates to high wear characteristics.
So I reckon that's it.....a combination of soft rubber, high torque, & a bit of "acceleration" here & there.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
The PIrelli's are gumballs, The Hankooks are wearing twice as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM

'09 C63 AMG, '13 C350, '11 GLK350
I'm not sure how relevant this may be to your alls problem, but I just put new tires on my rear wheel drive w211 e350. I had 245/45/18 Pilot Super Sport A/S. The rears lasted 13k miles and had 2/32s when I took them off.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Lexus IS250 AWD
Originally Posted by propain
wow... If your engine could get out of the car and smack you it would..

Why buy a performance car and drive it like an old lady? All I do is hard launches. Some burnouts of course leaving the line. No melts. 6K max.

What do you do? Drive in C and shift up to 3rd every time and never get on it? I cant imagine getting 12K out of the Pzero's.
The car expensive enough as it is. There is a time and place to drive it hard, why do it all around town and have everyone thinking you're a knob, and paying the extra in tires/service/traffic tickets? It had 4 doors and a trunk. I'm pretty sure MB intended it to be driven as a normal car too.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by jtuds
The car expensive enough as it is. There is a time and place to drive it hard, why do it all around town and have everyone thinking you're a knob, and paying the extra in tires/service/traffic tickets? It had 4 doors and a trunk. I'm pretty sure MB intended it to be driven as a normal car too.
I think MB intended it to serve both functions. If you never drive it hard (that doesn't mean irresponsibly) on the street then you would buy a regular C class and not waste money on the AMG. If someone wants a track only car, there are better options. AMGs are built to be practical cars that can be driven hard on the street and taken to the track... a little bit of everything for everyone. The "driven hard on the street" part is where the tires go away fast

Last edited by gthal; 02-05-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM

F30 335 xdrive, retired - W204 C63
Originally Posted by motoman
The PIrelli's are gumballs, The Hankooks are wearing twice as well.

I have a 2009 C63 and my original tires lasted 6,500 miles (not driving it too hard, never on the track). The fronts still had tons of tread and I didn't want to replace the rears every 6,000 miles or so. I went with the Hankooks which are pretty much near bald now, about 9,500 miles on them (I swap summer and winter sets as well). My front tires have gone around 16,000 miles now and are near the end of life.

I can probably squeeze out 11,000 miles from the Hankooks so almost double the life of the stock tires, but they probably aren't the safest to drive right now when it rains. Its amazing how much longer the front tires last than the rears, if you stayed with the stock tires you could probably go through 3 sets of rears per 1 set of front!

At Discount tire the guy told me that he thinks its mainly rear alignment and that if I had it aligned "flat" I could add around 50% to the tire life and not notice a difference in handling (unless on the track, but I don't track it). I really don't mind spending $1200 on tires, but not every summer!!! My fathers M3 lasted 18,000 miles for the stock rear tires (although that is with a lot of highway driving). If you factor in the extra cost of tires for the C63, the M3 begins becoming a lot more attractive!

In the end I am sure its a combo of alignment, torque, weight distribution. The M3 only has 300lb torque and 50/50 weight distribution, and less aggesive alignment which probalby all adds to the tire life difference.

Also for those interested, my winter LM60s have 11,000 miles on them (3 winters, 2 of them were only 3,000 mile winters), they still have at least another winter left and handle great in the snow, never gotten stuck and very few slides which are easily managed.

Last edited by Aumakua; 03-13-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
am very interested to see your results
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Do you guys that are running a wider wheel tire set up see an improvement in premature ware? Also what do you feel are the longest lasting tire out there or best bang for buck. Ours is a daily driver so I don't feel the need for soft sticky tires that will only last a few trips to the grocery store and back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What's the real reason why C63 tires wear so fast?