7 miles....acceptable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by JeffDL
hmmm...guess I'm in the minority. I could care less and never look at the mileage when I drop my car off. I can be certain of one thing no one will ever beat this car harder than I do. As long as a wheel doesn't get curbed I don't care.

I'm with you. I stopped worrying about that crap a long time ago. If some dude wants to lose his job for beating the snot out of my car have at it.

My SA documents the miles as soon as I drop it off anyhow. If the car needs to be kept for a long time (more than a day) I check the miles otherwise no.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E63S Wagon, 2013 odyssey
Originally Posted by Yuille36
I took my C63, into MB of Alexandria,VA for a CEL. Ultimately is was diagnosed as a purge valve issue. They kept the car for two days, when I got it back it was down a quarter tank. keep in mind that it was full when, I took it over there. And only 13 miles was placed on it. So yes, those techs are beating the snot out of your cars. Think of it this way, how often does a technician get his hands on an AMG!! Well I had to test drive it, is the word that I received.
I personally know both the shop foreman and the "working shop foreman". The second guy has been been my best friend for over 10 years. Anyway, if you can give me the time frame I can have them look into it... they both hate people that do that. They are the only two people I let work on my cars. Anyway, sorry for the problems.

Edward
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Artic White C63
Benson mercedes has been pretty shady from what i've know. Since they're the only MB dealership in the New Olreans Metro, They will try to rape you of every cent you have. I had my car serviced they're once and every time i go there i tell everyone not to joy ride my car when it's in service and if they need to test drive it, I must need to be in the car when they do. Cause i noticed when they take my car to the garage, they slightly gas it and make's the tire's chirp per say.
Heck, i told them off to the point where when they drive my car in the garage, I need to be in the car until they park it inside of the garage.
I'm 400 miles shy due in service soon, I'll tell them a couple words to them about your car bushburning so they won't joy ride it. But 7 mile's is very unacceptable, look like they joy ride and did some chore's while they were in your car.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
No need, I talked to the SA already and it's cool. Thanks though.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by Tatorr
Since they're the only MB dealership in the New Olreans Metro, They will try to rape you of every cent you have.
I had good experiences with them. One time the car wasn't clean when I picked it up so I had to wait about 20 min for them to take it to the carwash down the street... SA gave me a $100 Ruth's Chris giftcard!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 PM

CLS 550
Originally Posted by Nola
I had good experiences with them. One time the car wasn't clean when I picked it up so I had to wait about 20 min for them to take it to the carwash down the street... SA gave me a $100 Ruth's Chris giftcard!
damn nola!! how the hell you get that treatment at MB of nola? i can't get a soul to budge on anything i do.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Nola
Ruth's Chris has some amazing steaks.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by propain
I'm with you. I stopped worrying about that crap a long time ago. If some dude wants to lose his job for beating the snot out of my car have at it.

My SA documents the miles as soon as I drop it off anyhow. If the car needs to be kept for a long time (more than a day) I check the miles otherwise no.
+1 , im with you on that guys.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
7MPG is a clear indication of someone driving it pedal to the metal. The 7 miles trip double confirms it. I would talk to the service advisor and ask for explanations. You can also get the name of the mechanic, it should be on the report.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Agreed!!!

Back on topic, get a GPS datalogger in the car. I had one in my HPF M3 and busted someone at the dealership taking my car out for a joyride. Ran over 100mph in a 30mph zone, nearly 1gs around corners, heavy braking, the works. The car was at the dealer for a fog light wiring harness replacement and didn't even have a front bumper on lol.

I confronted the service manager with full gps logs, google map trace of the route taken along with actual speed at all points, no denying the evidence presented!

http://www.beyond.ca/calgary-bmw-sta...er-m3/831.html

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/238337/ow...-bmw-scumbags/

On the bright side, the dealership took care of me well, let go who they suspected did the joyriding, offered me a ton of freebies (which I declined) and made sure the car was not driven at all for future visits.

Last edited by rage2; 10-06-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Which GPS did you use rage? I used mine too, they did a mile around the block and I don't think they were faster than 40-50mphs...
Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Got my oil changed yesterday and when I got it back, noticed the dealership had put 7 miles on the car. That 7 miles also showed 7mpg. I asked them also to check the brake pads and the tpms, which was inoperable.

You guys decide if somebody beat the snot out my car.
7mpg??? I would freaking snap man. I mean it is ridiculous, I really would probably punch the guy that gave me the car back. Not for 7miles that was put on the car, but because of the consumption. I have never managed to make my car consume that much fuel. You really have to beat the living hell out of the car to make it consume that much. Go and try it yourself and see how hard you have to beat the car to get it to consume that much. Now imagine that a mechanic was behaving with your car like that. I mean this is on the same level to me as if someone would have screwed my girlfriend. I might consider this to be even worse then that, but then again I love cars more then girls.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by olszowa12
The 7 MPG is caused by idling during service.
No its not. I have idled this car in multiple different ways. I would have it idling for few minutes then drive it hard then idled again, I also idled it longer and then driven it normally or hard and so on. Basically I did it in multiple different ways so many times because of the time I spent in the car every day. And if my consumption was anywhere near 7mpg, I was beating the hell out of the car. To the point where you start questioning if the engine is gonna "hold it together".
Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by iolithblue
at the risk of defending the indefensible, its possible that the poor MPG may be to do with extensive idling, perhaps to warm up the engine and correctly distribute the new oil etc, followed by a short drive (7 miles really isnt that far).

of course, they probably took your car for a hot lap. after all, isnt that why you bought it?
Now this is what I would expect for them to tell me and then I would( I really have short temper when it comes to f...in with my cars or girls) do something stupid which I would regret probably. Look I have idled this car, driven it hard and by hard I really did take it out on the car few times. And by that I mean WOT throttle at all times possible. Hell I even cracked my discs in the city center once, but I have never gotten averagely my consumption over 30 liters per 100km, which is btw I think around 8mpg.

And I just cant resist to answer your most stupid and arrogant last question for the OP: I think you are more then ready and deserving for a beating.

All in all I will just be honest. If this happened to me in my country, first I would beat the hell out of the guy, then they would have to surprise me in such way that I forget about the thought of some ***-whining mechanic beating the hell out of my car which was surely not even warmed up. Only I can do that and the people I LET drive my car. Then like someone said I wont car about how much they beat it as long as it is warmed up and they dont damage it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:26 AM

C63 AMG

They make a VERY good prime rib!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Black Series
This thread reminds me of something that I just witnessed two weeks ago when I was in vegas. A young guy brought his M5 with his girlfriend and had it valet parked. I was sitting with my buddy just outside the hotel and once the guy was inside the valet took the car and caned the sh*t out of it! I was shocked. 1. the valet guy couldnt handle the torque and wheel spin when he floored it and almost crashed into a ferrari. 2. he kept revving the **** out of it in the parking garage for over 5 min with his co-worker once it was parked. If that was my car I would be FN pissed! Then again it was a BMW owner... jks!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by melmanc55
They make a VERY good prime rib!
Prime rib? it's a steakhouse what you talking about...this isnt lowry's
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Got my oil changed yesterday and when I got it back, noticed the dealership had put 7 miles on the car. That 7 miles also showed 7mpg. I asked them also to check the brake pads and the tpms, which was inoperable.
t
You guys decide if somebody beat the snot out my car.
You shouldnt be telling us this, you should be telling those a$$holes at your dealer. I understand that the car needs to be tested after service for controlibility, but 7miles is defenitley alot. Next time when you take it to them let them know that you are recording the milage, and tell them what happened last time. In addition, tell them if you find it making more than 3 miles you will not pay them and you will press charges. Those morons had no right adding 7miles. I cant believe you allowed them to do so without doing anything.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
How many minutes were on the clock? What was the avg mph? This would be a good indication as to how much time the car was running(idling) while it racked up 7 miles. The current session counts minutes the entire time the motor is running so if the display read 7 miles / 7 mpg / 40 minutes / 12 avg mph then you would know that the mpg was caused by the idle time. MPG is 0 when the car is sitting still and running so 7 is reasonable if it idled long enough. FYI mpg at the track is typically 4-6 and that is hammering constantly.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I think dealers should be more strict on this issue. They are not because people don't catch and complain about this sort of things often. It is not worth their time and effort.

As community we can create an understanding for the dealers that AMG owners are not ok with this by insisting on a minimum requirement drive or better yet no drive at all.

The more clients are inquiring about excess driven miles the more dealers will observe this issue.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
the OP asked them to check brakes and TPMS they HAD to drive the car. don't ask them to check anything if you don't want the car driven. 7 miles is more than fine.

and jacob what charges would you press? "officer they are doing warranty work on MY car how f'ing dare they".
Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
the OP asked them to check brakes and TPMS they HAD to drive the car. don't ask them to check anything if you don't want the car driven. 7 miles is more than fine.

and jacob what charges would you press? "officer they are doing warranty work on MY car how f'ing dare they".
100%.

Shortest court case in history:

Complainant: Your honor, the dealer drove my car for 7 miles. I demand remuneration:

Defendant: Customer signed the work order that states car may be driven to diagnose issues.

Judge: Has the car been damaged in any way?

Complainant: Well your honor, it seems to run fine, but who knows.

Judge: Case dismissed, thank you.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s

True, but who do you think will get the ticket when they go through toll or red light camera, or worse who is liable for a hit and run.

On another note, the dealer does a pretty good exterior inspection of the car before hand. I am always objective to the things they find and I also do my own inspection when the car is back...they don't like that and get a bit nervous when they see me do that. If I had a nickel for every story I heard about the dealer leaving the oil cap loose, I'd be richer by a quarter