Sponsored by:

Driving Habits: Why Bother with a C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by Mort
It's all about the balance between the Angel on one shoulder and the Devil on the other.

Of course the Devil wins once in a while...LOL
Perfect metaphor. I had thought of using it myself.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2014 E63
you guys should drive responsibly. . . take it to the track instead of weaving in n out of traffic
Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I wonder why I buy expensive "high end" cars sometimes. You buy it, pay an arm and a leg, you're all excited at the dealership, you drive home, the car plummets in depreciation, the car sits in the garage a lot, you try to get around to driving it, you pay for insurance like crazy, you can't truly experience its potential on everyday roads, people eye you, cops everywhere, few tickets, court, you get stuck behind slow pokes, people door ding you and scrape your bumper and it drives you ctazy for a week, if you find a track you may beat the snot out of it once, spare parts because your fried the othe ones, then you drive home, park it, back to square one.

But i'll still do this anyday than drive a Toyota Sienna...
I'm sure that sums up the frustration of many owners of performance cars, me included, and in fact that's part of why I started this thread - wondering how others feel about this and deal with it.

As has already been alluded to, one option is to just take little driving pleasures where one can, even if that means that most of the potential of the car is untapped. I suppose the C63 works well for that, since it's not overly expensive and is entirely suitable as a daily driver if the roads aren't too bad, yet it also gives the option of instant fun.

But I doubt I could be satisfied with that if I was driving a focused performance car like a 911 Turbo, in which case spirited driving seems like a must. Otherwise, I really would feel like I wasted money and would consider driving a minivan instead (we have one, and it's actually not that bad).

Last edited by IAA-C63; 06-21-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by jsc1234
you guys should drive responsibly. . . take it to the track instead of weaving in n out of traffic
I was deliberately vague when I mentioned weaving, so that people could respond however they wanted. But I think it's time for clarification. Weaving like a maniac is one of the most dangerous things you can do on the road, and I hope no one in the forum condones it. Weaving carefully to get past slow traffic is another matter, and I don't see how it can be avoided.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM

2010 C63, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I was deliberately vague when I mentioned weaving, so that people could respond however they wanted. But I think it's time for clarification. Weaving like a maniac is one of the most dangerous things you can do on the road, and I hope no one in the forum condones it. Weaving carefully to get past slow traffic is another matter, and I don't see how it can be avoided.
you can say change lanes
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
So considering all of this, what are your driving habits? More specifically:

- How much do you exceed speed limits and how often?
= ummm....in Mexico?

- How often have you gotten speeding tickets?
= none yet, knock on wood?

- Is there a maximum speed you won't exceed?
=given a safe, empty, 'legal' autobahn/track, then no.

- How aggressively do you accelerate?
= I do hit 5000rpm + every day.dmin

- Do you ever drag race?
=No

- If you encounter another fast car on the highway, do you join him (it's always a guy) in going fast?

= no. Though from experience they usually come right to my bumper to get me to outrun them.

- Do you weave through traffic on the highway?
= Not really, unless I meet a cluster of very slow driver's who refuse to shift lanes.

- How hard do you take corners, and have you ever spun out?
= Fairly hard sometimes but I've never spun out, knock on wood.

- Do you go out of your way to find good driving roads?
= I know what is available in my area.

- Do you drive less aggressively when you have other people in the car?
= Less aggressively.

- Do family and friends criticize you for driving aggressively? If so, how do you respond?

= No criticism, just praise and requests for more. However, I don't drive them as 'aggressively' as I would do alone.

- Do you ever feel guilty about driving aggressively? If so, do you do it anyway?
= I drive aggressively not irresponsibly.

- If you don't drive aggressively on public roads, why do you drive a C63? Do you track it, or intend to?
=already answered above. I don't track it though would love to take it on a track. The sound and power are very, very intoxicating and addictive!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM

2011 E550 Coupe
a different take on the C63

I've had the C63 for three months now, and just finished basic training at Lime Rock. This and various posts I've read have me thinking about the value of having a C63 (or any other performance car) if it's only going to be driven on public roads. Driving on the track reveals that we can't even begin to tap into the potential of these cars on public roads; even if we possess driving skill, there are the usual issues of safety, speeding tickets, and people cursing at us.

- Do you ever drag race?
- If you encounter another fast car on the highway, do you join him (it's always a guy) in going fast?
- Do family and friends criticize you for driving aggressively? If so, how do you respond?
- Do you ever feel guilty about driving aggressively? If so, do you do it anyway?
- If you don't drive aggressively on public roads, why do you drive a C63? Do you track it, or intend to?

I'm not raising these questions because I regret getting a C63 (just the opposite), but I still think the issue is worth exploring, especially since lots of people get performance cars but never track them.
Most of the people posting here echo what I would say (I exceed the limit most times but I am a responsible driver - and yes, I drive slower when people are with me). The real reason I have a C63: most people don't know what it is. I like the idea of the car looking like a "regular" M-B. For that reason I would never own an R8, for example. I just chuckle to myself when I need to/want to hit the gas - and go.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:48 PM

2003 Mercedes E320
My driving...

While I don't have a C63 (and probably never will), my last three personal cars have been a '74 2002, a '93 190E 2.6, and currently a '00 E320... all three were (are) excellent driving machines and I've driven them all in the same manner,as follows:

I typically drive 5 to 10 MPH above

Unfortunately yes... one just dropped off, and the day after I got another, which I am contesting in court [it was while I came out of a merge lane... traffic was going 65 (in a 60 zone) and I had to do 70 to merge... wish me luck!]

No... I've had the E320 up to 125 and the fastest I've been is 145 in a friend's 911... could have gone faster but it was getting a bit snakey!

As aggressive as I can given the situation... a bunch when passing

- Do you ever drag race?
I have in the past, especially in my 2002 vs. 320i's (the yuppie car of the day) and would again given the right circumstance

Sometimes... depends on the road

No... actually hate that as it potentially endangers others

Pretty hard... and I have spun out, afterwhich I flipped my poor 2002, but to my credit there was gravel on the road

Yes! There is nothing better than a good driving road that you know (but discovering them is fun too)

Typically yes, but it really depends who is in the car with me... ex-wife yes, best friend hell no!

Only the ex-wife... and the ex part was a portion of my response

I don't feel guilty in the slightest, unless I have for some reason endangered others, which hasn't happened for over 20 years

If I were younger, I would probably trick up a later C class and track it... unfortunately not possible at the present time, that's why I drive aggressively when the situation permits... used to race motorcycles and still have the need for speed and great corners in my blood!

Thanks for the questions, that was fun!

Last edited by wipster; 06-21-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: got question wrong
Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 PM

2009 c63 amg & 2004 clk500
to be not too specific, i have my moments, without being reckless. i do like to drive my c63 hard when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by jsc1234
you can say change lanes
This is coming from someone who just made a post about racing other cars on public roads....
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 AM

'10 C63 AMG | '10 Lexus RX350 | '10 E550C |'98 Lexus ES300 (Love this car)
Having a performance car on public road is like on the verge of orgasm but could not ***.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
I'm going to come across as a reckless driver but before judging me you'd have to drive in Poland to understand my driving habits. I'm sure Matt can chime in.

Every day. 50 - 100%.

I'm probably sitting at 5-10 per year.

Can't get past 200 mph

Depends on the day/situation/mood but probably WOT a few times every day.

- Do you ever drag race?

Yes but rarely. I mostly have beaten up GTIs challenging me on the road which I can't be bothered with.

I'm very rarely passed on the highway.

Yes - but not like a maniac. I slip in and out of open space.

When leaving the office I've made it tradition to floor it in the first corner much to the amusement of the security there. Never spun out.

Yes. I will happily drive x extra miles to be on a good riving road.

Spirited.

Often. Then I invite them to sample my everyday driving and the complaining usually stops there.

No guilt here. I'm following the accepted norm in Poland. I'm fortunate enough to have a fast car so I'm usually ahead of the pack.

N/A

Ken
Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I've had the C63 for three months now, and just finished basic training at Lime Rock. This and various posts I've read have me thinking about the value of having a C63 (or any other performance car) if it's only going to be driven on public roads. Driving on the track reveals that we can't even begin to tap into the potential of these cars on public roads; even if we possess driving skill, there are the usual issues of safety, speeding tickets, and people cursing at us.

- Do you ever drag race?
- all the time , 15-20km/h over typically around town
- lucky so far
- hmmm, i haven't been over 170km/h yet but I am very nervous about getting a 50 over ticket here, it will literally cripple my life as you lose your licence and car in Ontario
- foot to the floor
- yes, you pick your spots
- yes
- weave politely with signals, nothing amateurish or reckless
- reasonably hard, 8/10ths and no, ESC Sport mode on
- no, but I know where they are
- kids in the car, absolutely. My 10 year old? I give him a sample here an dthere, he likes cars. In-laws? i like to scare my mother-in-law...
- no, but if they did it wouldn't bother me. I feel that I am a respectful driver with access to a car on steroids, it is a natural selection of events as to what happens...my brother (1stamg) says I have become more hooligan lately lol
-Guilty? No. I am not hurting anyone.
- Why do I have a C63? I needed a 4 door sedan that will provide reliable transportation for me and my family while making me giggle. It is the perfect car in our stoplight world. Perfect. Like, guffaws out loud perfect. I do intend to track it and have been lucky to have done many laps in a C63 on numerous race tracks which is how I fell in love with the car.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM

2010 C63 AMG
I feel like if I answer any part of those questions I am going to jinx myself so I will just agree with this masterfully put statement:

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I wonder why I buy expensive "high end" cars sometimes. You buy it, pay an arm and a leg, you're all excited at the dealership, you drive home, the car plummets in depreciation, the car sits in the garage a lot, you try to get around to driving it, you pay for insurance like crazy, you can't truly experience its potential on everyday roads, people eye you, cops everywhere, few tickets, court, you get stuck behind slow pokes, people door ding you and scrape your bumper and it drives you ctazy for a week, if you find a track you may beat the snot out of it once, spare parts because your fried the othe ones, then you drive home, park it, back to square one.

But i'll still do this anyday than drive a Toyota Sienna...
Couldnt have said it any better...
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
I don't need the track to justify why i bought this car. I use it as a daily driver and every time I drive home from work, it puts a smile to my face. It's like a stress reliever, even though I don't speed or drive recklessly to enjoy it.
Same here: These cars are true stress relievers. When I'm having a hard day at work, I only drive it and I forget about everything. I do not like putting anyone else besides me at risk, so I'm not that aggressive at driving it. I never had a ticket and I feel responsible for how I drive. However, I never stopped pressing the gas pedal to the metal when an opportunity is at hand. Otherwise, what is the point of buying such a car? You feel alive when you feel your back pressed against the seat, and the growl of that sweet V8 is just intoxicating. I want to put louder exhausts in my C55, but my wife is against it. She likes the car too though...

I'll just save the money and buy a C63 next year. My wifey agrees only if I buy it in Mars Red
Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 PM

C63
Depends on the road; If it's a NSL (National Speed Limit) zone i.e. not a built up area and the conditions permit I will break the speed limit, yes, by some considerable margin. Three figures is not uncommon.

Not once in 18 years of driving. Some cite luck, I prefer to think it's because I pick my times when I drive fast, always in line with conditions. Hence, on the rare occasions I have been stopped for speeding I have always been let off.

No, providing the conditions permit.

As hard as the car will allow.

- Do you ever drag race?
No.

Yes. Good way of making good progress. Sharing the pressure of driving faster than surrounding traffic and watching for Police.

Absolutely not. Hideous behaviour. Other road users cannot comprehend what you're doing, far too easy for someone to wipe you out. That's buying other road users and invading their space. Not cool.

Again, as hard as the car will allow, where conditions permit. I do disengage the traction control and I will hang the ****-end out. Never span on public roads; came close in my old Ferrari where greasy roads, cold tyres and low tyre pressure nearly caught me out.

Absolutely. What's the point of spending £60k on a performance car if you're going to stick to straight motorways and dual carriageways? None. Get out and find the twisty country lanes, enjoy the car, quiet roads and beautiful scenery

Yes. I regard myself as a good driver and I take pride in how I drive. It is important to me how people perceive my driving. I hate being in a car with someone who tries to show me what a 'great' driver they are (generally by driving too fast) so I do not, as a rule, drive quickly with passengers. I have a few close friends who know I am passionate about my driving (some have been with me on track days) and I feel comfortable going quicker with them in the car because they are relaxed, but I still only ever drive at 85% of my capability with others in the car.

No. the wife might moan a bit if I leave my braking late or the car starts to squirm in the bends, so for general peace I'll wind it back by 10% but we'll still be outpacing 99% of other traffic.

I don't consider myself aggressive. I'm quick, but smooth. I don't tailgate, I don't flash my lights. I don't believe in intimidating other road users. I'll hang back, wait for a safe opportunity and pass them. If they get annoyed after I have passed them whilst showing due consideration, then f*uck them. Slow doesn't automatically equate to good and fast doesn't automatically equate to bad. Lane discipline, perception, awareness, singalling, reactions, general ability are far more important than sticking to the speed limit. Every day I see countless number of people bumbling around in their own little bubble, no idea what's going on, and because I pass them they brand me the lunatic. But who failed to maintain the corrct line from the roundabout? Who failed to indicate. Who has failed to anticipate the traffic ahead? Clue: Not me.

You can be quick without being aggressive.
I do drive fast, where conditions allow (i.e. not leathering it past a school at 8.45 am) but I'm not aggressive - that suggests bullying of other road users, which I don't believe in. Yes I accelerate as fast as the car will allow and I drive at the limits of the chassis, but I don't think that's aggressive - I'd call that spirited!

I haevn't tracked my C63 yet, but I will. I tend to track typically when the tyres only have a bit left in them, and the brakes are due a change, I use a track day to finish everything off prior to a good service.

I have tracked my previous cars.