Sponsored by:

Driving Habits: Why Bother with a C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Driving Habits: Why Bother with a C63?

I've had the C63 for three months now, and just finished basic training at Lime Rock. This and various posts I've read have me thinking about the value of having a C63 (or any other performance car) if it's only going to be driven on public roads. Driving on the track reveals that we can't even begin to tap into the potential of these cars on public roads; even if we possess driving skill, there are the usual issues of safety, speeding tickets, and people cursing at us.

So considering all of this, what are your driving habits? More specifically:

- How much do you exceed speed limits and how often?
- How often have you gotten speeding tickets?
- Is there a maximum speed you won't exceed?
- How aggressively do you accelerate?
- Do you ever drag race?
- If you encounter another fast car on the highway, do you join him (it's always a guy) in going fast?
- Do you weave through traffic on the highway?
- How hard do you take corners, and have you ever spun out?
- Do you go out of your way to find good driving roads?
- Do you drive less aggressively when you have other people in the car?
- Do family and friends criticize you for driving aggressively? If so, how do you respond?
- Do you ever feel guilty about driving aggressively? If so, do you do it anyway?
- If you don't drive aggressively on public roads, why do you drive a C63? Do you track it, or intend to?

I'm not raising these questions because I regret getting a C63 (just the opposite), but I still think the issue is worth exploring, especially since lots of people get performance cars but never track them.

Last edited by IAA-C63; 06-19-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM

2011 Ultima GTR
I am not a model citizen by any means when it comes to driving. I bought a C63 to drive and I do that every single day in one way or another. Though, I choose not to answer your questions directly.

However, I can say this. Although you cannot enjoy a car on the road like you can on the track, you can get pretty close, but you need to do it wisely.

I don't see any major issue with 2am on a Wednesday night in the mountains on a road you may only see one other car on, sure. Friday night 3am at the local 4 lane highway for drag races, sure. Night time in industrial areas for burnouts, drifting etc, sure. The difference is a controlled environment vs a random one. You have to always keep that in mind and not be ignorant to that fact.

But, there is a time and place for everything. You don't speed 100km/h over on residential streets. You don't go for a spirited drives at 3pm when schools out of a weekday and overtake on double lines. You don't do general stupid **** that endangers others.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
If you don't drive aggressively on public roads, why do you drive a C63? Do you track it, or intend to?
I consider my C63 as an emergancy escape vehicle, or I should get myself an Aston Martin instead?

Sheep
Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Depends on the situation but i usually stay withing a safety zone of +15-20 % over allowed speed

Never (knocking on wood)

Very

- Do you ever drag race?
No because there are not many expensive cars in Finland, and the ones who want to drag are corollas

- If you encounter another fast car on the highway, do you join him (it's always a guy) in going fast?
No

Rarely

Moderately due to Airmatic, and no, i haven't

I know them already

Depends on who

- Do family and friends criticize you for driving aggressively? If so, how do you respond?
Sometimes, and if someone's uncomfortable i slow down.

- Do you ever feel guilty about driving aggressively? If so, do you do it anyway?
Yes and no

- If you don't drive aggressively on public roads, why do you drive an E63? Do you track it, or intend to?
Because i love the raw power and sound of it, even on the public road.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM

BMW M3 2010
0-105mph, usually max of 15mph
3 times
No
Depends when its safe ill floor it sometimes.
- Do you ever drag race?
Yes
Yes
Yes
I drift some and spun out once on a wet road with near bald tires.
Yes
Yes for GF, No for guys.
Yes, I tell them I know what I am doing (haha)
No
- If you don't drive aggressively on public roads, why do you drive a C63? Do you track it, or intend to?
I don't have a C63 but I will soon.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I may not drive my car like I was on a track everyday, but I love the security that I could out accelerate idiot drivers or out brake texting morons if I needed to.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
I love being interviewed>>who doesn't like talking about themselves? LOL
of course I don't have a C63 though.........or even my AMG.........YET....

-How much do you exceed speed limits and how often?
not by much and pretty often
not in years and years, but I got one for passing on the double solid yellow
I don't want to meet the reaper just yet......usually keep it under 90
pretty aggressively
- Do you ever drag race?
not yet
- If you encounter another fast car on the highway, do you join him (it's always a guy) in going fast? sometimes.....if the guy doesn't look like a kook or something
absolutly not man
not yet, don't take them too hard
no, they all suck around here
yes, very much so
- Do family and friends criticize you for driving aggressively? If so, how do you respond? not as of late
no I don't, some people are completely clueless and more focused on their phone than anything else.....they deserve the horn and plus, I'd rather just get past them and out of the way
I want an AMG because I do want to go fast....I want to go fast legally......and I want to learn how to start driving better/faster/cleaner etc...
Old 06-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Here are my answers to my own questions (but don't let them bias your responses):

I'm usually over the speed limit, except in residential areas, and I drive really slow if there are people walking around or on bikes. I try to stay within 15 mph of the speed limit, and max of about 90 on the highway.

Not often, but the C63 may cause me to get more. That's why I got the radar/laser detector.

Yes, probably would never exceed 150, but haven't gone that fast. Even if the road conditions are ideal, could still be very dangerous if the car has a problem.

Pretty aggressive much of the time, but I sometimes feel silly doing it, asking myself: what's the point?

- Do you ever drag race?
Not really, except some occasional little playing for a few seconds. I already know that my car is faster than some, slower than others.

Yes, if he's not too fast or reckless. In these situations, I usually let the other guy lead.

Yes, but very carefully. Pass in a way that others can't cut you off, and don't cut others off in a way that startles them.

I wrecked two cars spinning out when I was a kid - lucky no one got hurt. Learned my lesson. If I hear my tires squeal at all, I'm going too fast. And I leave ESP on.

Yes, sometimes I take the long way home. Driving in the mountains has been a peak experience.

Yes, and it depends on who's in the car.

Yes, the women in the family (and my elderly father) aren't happy about the C63, but the wife's OK with it. I'm learning to ignore them, and to not talk about my driving exploits except with certain people.

Yes and yes. There's usually an internal battle between wanting to have fun versus being responsible.

I don't see much point in having a performance car if its capabilities aren't going to be used. And I do intend to track it.

Last edited by IAA-C63; 06-19-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:44 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
The same reason you don't eat lobster every night but you could.
Driving enjoyment is made up of a collection of brief snippets...that windy, deserted country rode; that blast up to 150 on an empty highway; etc.
If you drove like you're on the set of 'Fast and Furious' ALL THE TIME, life would get pretty boring quickly...
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by shchow
The same reason you don't eat lobster every night but you could.
Driving enjoyment is made up of a collection of brief snippets...that windy, deserted country rode; that blast up to 150 on an empty highway; etc.
If you drove like you're on the set of 'Fast and Furious' ALL THE TIME, life would get pretty boring quickly...
Good point!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Yeaaa =))I love being interviewed too=)) lol

A lot of times, but not in the city. Usually it happens on highways.

5 maybe even more..then I lost my license and I think I've learned my lesson.

250km/h

Pretty much hard most of the time, but then I always think why do I do it..I guess the beast just gets under my skin and I always want to hear it roarrr=))

- Do you ever drag race?
Few times from a roll

Usually i do...last time I did it it was with an R8 4.2, damn he was pissed looking at my exhausts.. really I don't see the point of owning an R8 with a V8 engine, its just to slow for a vehicle that is supposed to be almost supercar. They should offer only V10 and stronger engines. But then again WTH is with the Sl280. It should not exist.

Rarely..only when some a...ole is driving and intentionally not letting me pass him on the highway for longer period of time. Why do people do that? They drive 120 on the highway and they dont want to move

I take them hard at times, but mostly I drive normally... Though sometimes I go out at night and try to learn how to drift...its been great and I think I am getting better at it=)))

Sometimes...Actually rarely

Usually but I hate my girlfriends sister she such a sissy..I mean she moans constantly to slow down...it drives me crazy, lately I ve been rude and offered her few times WOT experience..I dont why, but every time I did it she only started to scream when I slowed down

Sometimes, and I usually tell them to stop overreacting.

Sometimes...actually I don't...but come on, its not my fault for not having the sense to feel the guilt for the amazing roaring and accelerating it offers.

I do drive aggressively but like someone posted always at early hours when the roads are empty. And no, I dont track the closest track is another country=)lol

Last edited by Djovovic63; 06-19-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I wonder why I buy expensive "high end" cars sometimes. You buy it, pay an arm and a leg, you're all excited at the dealership, you drive home, the car plummets in depreciation, the car sits in the garage a lot, you try to get around to driving it, you pay for insurance like crazy, you can't truly experience its potential on everyday roads, people eye you, cops everywhere, few tickets, court, you get stuck behind slow pokes, people door ding you and scrape your bumper and it drives you ctazy for a week, if you find a track you may beat the snot out of it once, spare parts because your fried the othe ones, then you drive home, park it, back to square one.

But i'll still do this anyday than drive a Toyota Sienna...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I've had the C63 for three months now, and just finished basic training at Lime Rock. This and various posts I've read have me thinking about the value of having a C63 (or any other performance car) if it's only going to be driven on public roads. Driving on the track reveals that we can't even begin to tap into the potential of these cars on public roads; even if we possess driving skill, there are the usual issues of safety, speeding tickets, and people cursing at us.

So considering all of this, what are your driving habits? More specifically:

Most of the time or I'd get run over by soccermoms in minivans
Not many. Radar detectors and laser jammers do work
I beleive the day time speed limit in Nevada before the first oil crisis was "safe and sane" as determined by the driver. I ascribe to this guideline
I won't waste gas when I already know the result
- Do you ever drag race?
Same answer as above
Depends on the other car.
Yes how else would I win the race
As hard as my tire budget will allow. No spin outs since ESP or PSM
Spent 6 hours today with 60 PCA members on good driving backroads I never knew were even there. Have done the same with the SLK club who are a good group of guys. They let my drive a 4 door cuz i'm over 55.
My wife gets car sick....need I say more
When I drive family and friends I pretend they are DMV license test employees.
Nope and yes
Driving a Dodge Caravan has no appeal to me. For the track I had a dedicated track car.

I'm not raising these questions because I regret getting a C63 (just the opposite), but I still think the issue is worth exploring, especially since lots of people get performance cars but never track them.
Excellent questions. I'm enjoying all the answers.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-20-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I wonder why I buy expensive "high end" cars sometimes. You buy it, pay an arm and a leg, you're all excited at the dealership, you drive home, the car plummets in depreciation, the car sits in the garage a lot, you try to get around to driving it, you pay for insurance like crazy, you can't truly experience its potential on everyday roads, people eye you, cops everywhere, few tickets, court, you get stuck behind slow pokes, people door ding you and scrape your bumper and it drives you ctazy for a week, if you find a track you may beat the snot out of it once, spare parts because your fried the othe ones, then you drive home, park it, back to square one.

How true
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
I don't need the track to justify why i bought this car. I use it as a daily driver and every time I drive home from work, it puts a smile to my face. It's like a stress reliever, even though I don't speed or drive recklessly to enjoy it.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bushburninc63
I don't need the track to justify why i bought this car. I use it as a daily driver and every time I drive home from work, it puts a smile to my face. It's like a stress reliever, even though I don't speed or drive recklessly to enjoy it.
So do you drive at all in a "spirited" way?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
Of course.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by Sheep
I consider my C63 as an emergancy escape vehicle, or I should get myself an Aston Martin instead?

Sheep
LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG

Well said!!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
^^^ ZephyrAMG & shchow - On the money!

Additionally, my zwei Pfennig: I like to/strive to be different. I drive an AMG b/c its not just another MB, its a bit different, and significantly less ubiquitous.

It is why & what I do, or don't do, that separates me from the masses...

I refuse to be a penguin.

Cheers!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM

2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
Disclaimer: in brazil, we have the METRICAL SYSTEM. So, consider Km, meters, etc.

Seriously exceeding, seldomly. I did 220 in a 120, but that was an exception. Metropolitan roads in Brazil have very slow speed limit, so I exceed them almost everyday. But that's not grave. Even exceeding, I'll be going pretty slow. (like 70km/h in a 50 km/h street/avenue).

Got 2 in 3 years of C63. Doing 120 in a 90 and doing 90 in a 70. Paid the fee with a smile.

Depends on the road. I wont do 250 in a single lane road!

My C63 is like a cheap remote controlled car. It has 2 speeds: full throttle and still.

- Do you ever drag race?
No.

Depends. Seldomly. If I'm going fast and another nice car joins me, I'll bite it (did it with another C63, an S63, a Maserati Quattroporte etc. But understand me here: these cars are more rare in Brazil than in the US/Europe). It is not always a guy. I was once joined by a girl driving an Impreza WRX.

If I can weave, I weave. Only way not to get stuck around here.

Not very agressive. Never spun with the C63. Learned my lesson when I spun at 100km/h with my ex-M3. Hit a tree. Not a good experience.

Yes. I also consider going to the farthest place just to drive a little more.

Depends on who. My wife also drives like she has stolen it.

Rare to be criticized. But I would just ignore.

I feel guilty for the C63. And yes, I'm stubborn.

Drove on track about 2 times.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
@ IAA,

You forgot a couple questions:

- Provide the name, address, and phone number of the person who prepared or helped you prepare these answers.

- State the starting location of where your trip began and your intended destination, and provide all stops that you made on the way.

- State the direction of travel immediately before, during, and immediately after the incident occured.

JK!

I agree that the C63 is very performance oriented but according to many individuals who have the privilege of driving cars like Z06's, ZR1's, XKR-S's, 911 GT3, and even Lancer EVO's and Impreza WRX STI's, the C63 is just a street car that's beefed up enough to take on the track for some fun.

Compared to a 2011 Camaro SS, the C63 is better suited for the track. But, compared to cars that are genuinely designed for track use while still allowing relatively comfortable street driveability, the C63 is just a muscle car. The best one, IMO.

The C63 is fairly awkward. It's engine is glorious, it's trans does the job, but it's little bitty skinny rear tires are nearly a disgrace and they do a fine job crippling the cars' performance.

I just got a daily driver car -- a Sonata 2.0T -- and I drive it as often as I can in place of the C63 because the C63 requires a lot of maintenance and it's quite finicky with things going wrong in build quality (this is my experience).

Still, I love owning the C63. The exhaust note is near perfect. The steering is awesome and I can really appreciate it after driving in the Hyundai, although I appreciated this aspect plenty before getting the new car. The engine is one of the best of all time and being able to enjoy it safely as much as possible on public streets is still fun.

Also, I think the C63 looks bad ***. The rear side sections of the car aren't the best looking, but overall MB/AMG really pulled off a handsome product with this machine. I'm proud to drive it every day.

If I wanted a track car, I would get something that weighed less and had better traction. AlexCim, above, once talked about "chuckability," that's something I would want in a track car.

Still, I'm sure with the right practice it would be loads of fun getting a C63 sideways on a closed track and pushing the engine to its limits.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 PM

2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
I find the C63 a discreet powerful car. Its good for everyday use for me, as well as it is for weekend fun. The C63 is that kind of car that can be defined only as a enthusiasts car. I actually won’t drive always in a “spirited” manner, but you do feel good to have that extra power at your disposal. That’s the point of buying it instead of a C350, for example.

That said, the vehicle is a d1ck magnet. No girl, ever, will look at the C63 before it notices the red mini cooper with brit-flag mirrors behind it. If you plan to roll like a baller and be the center of attentions for girls, it is NOT the car for the price. Get a Z4, SLK or even a TT. Damn, you can spend 1/3 and get a Mini.

The reason for getting the C63, then, can ONLY be driving it in a spirited manner. If not everyday, at least once in a while you will do it. Can be on track or can be on public roads, but I’d look weird at someone if that person tells me he has a C63 and drives like miss daisy.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
It's all about the balance between the Angel on one shoulder and the Devil on the other.

Of course the Devil wins once in a while...LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by Mort
It's all about the balance between the Angel on one shoulder and the Devil on the other.

Of course the Devil wins once in a while...LOL
I must have done something very bad in a previous life. The devil has been winning quite a bid with me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving Habits: Why Bother with a C63?