Sponsored by:

OE Tuning/Gintani C63 vs MBH/ASCG C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
In regards to Re-flash from the dealer. A lot of dealers don't necessarily re-flash the car. What they do is update the car in certain areas that they made the update for. Much like updates that come from Windows for your home PC. It doesn't uninstall your whole operating system it just changes the area that the update is for.

In this case, the dealer could have added an update to a section of programming that changes the values of how the car reads fuel, timing and things like that. In turn it would have written over the section of the tune where the power is made, but not necessarily any place else. By doing this It does not mean they up loaded a complete software program that would wipe out the code that turns on/off the "Check Engine Light".

In turn the update most likely did not alter the section of code that controls the rear o2 sensors. As that was probably not where the updated was meant for.

In a nutshell, you would loose your tune section of the ECU, but not other areas. Since the update was not meant to change anything else.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
I wonder how many dealer mechanics lift a car, walk under it, see the mods and think, "I should find a reason to flash the car just to mess with him."

Jim
Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by jspAMG
I wonder how many dealer mechanics lift a car, walk under it, see the mods and think, "I should find a reason to flash the car just to mess with him."

Jim
It could be possible, but most mechanics at the dealer want to do nothing more then they have too. A lot of dealer mechanics follow computer guided procedures. Meaning, They follow the steps STAR DAS and programs like that tell them to do.

If it says somewhere someplace to update the ECU. Thats what they do. Unless you tell them otherwise.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
In regards to Re-flash from the dealer. A lot of dealers don't necessarily re-flash the car. What they do is update the car in certain areas that they made the update for. Much like updates that come from Windows for your home PC. It doesn't uninstall your whole operating system it just changes the area that the update is for.

In this case, the dealer could have added an update to a section of programming that changes the values of how the car reads fuel, timing and things like that. In turn it would have written over the section of the tune where the power is made, but not necessarily any place else. By doing this It does not mean they up loaded a complete software program that would wipe out the code that turns on/off the "Check Engine Light".

In turn the update most likely did not alter the section of code that controls the rear o2 sensors. As that was probably not where the updated was meant for.

In a nutshell, you would loose your tune section of the ECU, but not other areas. Since the update was not meant to change anything else.
BINGO!!!

This is exactly what James found after reading my ECU last week. While much of the tuned adjusted parameters were still intact, certain other sections had been changed, including the area that tells the ECU how to interpret it's own map parameters. That explains why the car wasn't throwing codes despite my catless setup.

James also took the time to datalog my car last week and verified that it wasn't running the full timing the loaded map called for (pulling 5 degrees), despite exhibiting no knock. Just more evidence supporting Mike's thinking above.

Regardless, I'm confident James will have my car back up and running strong tomorrow afternoon. I should also mention that James has already gone well beyond my expectations in terms of diagnosing my problem and rectifying the issue.

Last edited by xtyper; 07-20-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
What time you going to be there do you think? Oddly enough I have a gaping hole in my schedule tomorrow all day and can stop in there anytime.

If they don't start throwing stuff on my car, I'm going to bring a crescent wrench and finish it myself

Jim
I've got to leave really early from LA to beat traffic, so I expect to arrive at the shop around 815am. I think James has some other stuff to take care of during the morning, so I don't expect to be up and running with the fresh tune until at least 11am.

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your new beast!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 AM

I'll probably be down there around 10:00. I just remembered I have to go by one of my places and tell the office furniture people how to set up the cubical farms.

Jim
Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Xtyper did you use M-mode, I know jeremy does so thats why he may get the jump off the line....I did 1 or 2 half *** runs with him a couple months back I think he hit the limiter couple times so I knew he was in M-mode
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BerBer63
Xtyper did you use M-mode, I know jeremy does so thats why he may get the jump off the line....I did 1 or 2 half *** runs with him a couple months back I think he hit the limiter couple times so I knew he was in M-mode
No, I was simply using S mode compared to his M mode. But doubt that made much of a difference.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BerBer63
How did you do against him and what mods do you have?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
it was a half *** 10mph rolling run and I don't think either of us were going to go but just for fun went for it. i think he bounced off 1 or 2 gears but hard to remember i wa in S as well ...ended even
Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
When we have programmed the ME9.7 on our development car with our STAR tool, it always updates the entire calibration, and never simply a patch

When the old code was compared against the later code that contains the factory updates it was only about 10-20 bytes changed

It is VERY unlikely that the STAR tool has updated parts of the calibration that would have an effect on performance

In any event, this would be known immediately the two calibrations were compared, as the SCN and the calibration ID must change under US law and are easily identified.

Sorry for the interruption, it is not our intention to become involved in the relative differences between the competing products

But simply to say, "I find that hard to believe" in relation to the STAR tool performing partial reflashes to the calibration space.

Of course, partial reflashes is more common than not with aftermarket OBD2 tuning because the tools that we all use to flash allow the capability to flash simply the bytes that need changing.

If a video can be posted of a STAR tool performing a partial flash on an ME9.7 then I am happy to retract the statement and stand corrected.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
xtyper, once ACGSD has verified your tune is correct... are you two going to rerun them?

From the vids, it sure looks like the OE car has a meaningful torque advantage... will be interesting to see if that's still the case after a reflash.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Partial tune reflash?

I think what we saw in the video is exactly what we will see again. Your talking about a car that has the cats installed vs a car with a full race exhaust with no cats. The results in the video were not odd to me now that I know those facts.

What I dont know is how the ASCG tune compares to OE's tune. I do know OE has a very aggressive tune. I know of only one other company that matches its performance.

I guess we will find out, but my money is Jeremy's car walks him again unless he removes those cats.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Propain - just because you and jsp (who admitted not knowing about xtyper's mods) speculated about cats, doesn't certify that he has them. In fact, the opposite appears to be true:

Originally Posted by xtyper
BINGO!!!

This is exactly what James found after reading my ECU last week. While much of the tuned adjusted parameters were still intact, certain other sections had been changed, including the area that tells the ECU how to interpret it's own map parameters. That explains why the car wasn't throwing codes despite my catless setup.
Just FWIW.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by propain
Partial tune reflash?
I guess we will find out, but my money is Jeremy's car walks him again unless he removes those cats.
Reread post 29. There are no cats.

Jim
Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Propain - just because you and jsp (who admitted not knowing about xtyper's mods) speculated about cats, doesn't certify that he has them. In fact, the opposite appears to be true:

Just FWIW.
Yeah I was just re-reading his post and caught that. Sorry.. I thought jsp knew him and his car personally. He seemed like he did.

I go back to my original statement then. His car would run TERRIBLE if the dealer flashed him back to stock.

All seems strange to me.. partial reflash as powerchip stated sounds odd.. I guess well see. Enough speculation I guess.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Before and after dynos would straighten out the tuning question.

A full dealer flash would absolutely generate codes from the missing cats unless O2 eliminators were installed instead of ignored in code.

I apologize for thinking out loud and confusing the discussion.

Jim

Last edited by jspAMG; 07-20-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Before and after dynos would straighten out the tuning question.

Jim
I agree if they dyno it on the same day before the reflash and then after. Comparing to a previous dyno doesnt do much.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
A full dealer flash would absolutely generate codes from the missing cats unless O2 eliminators were installed instead of ignored in code.

I apologize for thinking out loud and confusing the discussion.

Jim

Same here.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
SPONSOR

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Thanks guys. Many runs were made, with the same results. The runs were any car got an unfair jump were not included. Each run was fair and from an even go. xtyper will agree with me on this. I have no plans to rematch unless considerable or different mods are done. FYI, there is no such thing as a partial reflash from the dealer, so I will not be entertaining that notion. Other fully modded C63s have also seen the same outcome.
OE Tuning FTW!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by SALES@OETUNING
Thanks guys. Many runs were made, with the same results. The runs were any car got an unfair jump were not included. Each run was fair and from an even go. xtyper will agree with me on this. I have no plans to rematch unless considerable or different mods are done. FYI, there is no such thing as a partial reflash from the dealer, so I will not be entertaining that notion. Other fully modded C63s have also seen the same outcome.
OE Tuning FTW!
There you have it. Seems like others are making some excuses for the loss.

For the record Jeremy were you running a full interior for this compare?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:06 AM
SPONSOR

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Originally Posted by propain
There you have it. Seems like others are making some excuses for the loss.

For the record Jeremy were you running a full interior for this compare?
Yes Jim, full interior. Both cars were on "R" compound tires. Runs in Sport & Manual transmission modes gave the same results.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by SALES@OETUNING
Yes Jim, full interior. Both cars were on "R" compound tires. Runs in Sport & Manual transmission modes gave the same results.
Very nice. Your tune with the Gintani exhaust got the job done!

I looks forward to seeing it go down the 1/4 in the fall on some DR's!

OE!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
id be keen to see a re run if you guys could.

h
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Sorry.. I thought jsp knew him and his car personally. He seemed like he did.
I've seen the car and James and Peter told me about the mods on it because they are installing much of the same things on my car. My code won't be the same or even sourced from the same tuner because I have the Weistec at the heart of it and have to have code from them for that.

I think that after a while I get some cars confused. xtyper, pertplus, other cars at ACG and cars my own customers tell me about can get muddled together because I'm not taking notes.

Plus on top of that, I'm trying to integrate what other people are doing into my own plans for my car. One of the big open issues is the exact configuration of the exhaust. I would like to have test pipes to install but I also have to be able to install cats to get through smog and I have to have a version of software that can be loaded that support those cats.

Just as an aside, if I was a tuner, I would be much more circumspect on public forums about coding to eliminate cats and as tuning shops I wouldn't be talking about doing that very much. I consider CARB to be one step down from Hitler. I really wouldn't want to cross the smog *****. The ticket for the end user who removes cats is $2750.00 if I remember correctly. Knowing them, its probably higher and I can't imagine what it would do to commercial enterprises caught doing the work and coding.

Jim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OE Tuning/Gintani C63 vs MBH/ASCG C63