Tire pressure sensor went nuts....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Tire pressure sensor went nuts....

Ok here is the situation.

1) Over the last two weeks I have been getting a msg on my instrument cluster after I have shut down the car. It reads "Correct Tire Pressure". Really didn't give it much thought because it was not in red like most warnings are and it was not doing it all the time. Plus my tires are fine.

2) Then yesterday the weirdest thing happened. Was driving in about a 100 degree heat and parked the car for about 2 hours. Then it's starts to rain and I mean like flood type of rain. I have never driven my car in deep puddled water. So I get in the car and take off. I hit some deep puddles and no big deal the car handles fine. And I did not hit them hard just normal driving. All of a sudden (after a couple of miles of driving) my car starts flashing a red warning to "Check Tire Pressure" I mean the whole center of the instrument cluster is lit up red saying this. And the yellow indicator on the right gauge is lit up (tire pressure warning). I thought one of my tires had gone flat (the car is driving fine). So I pull over to see what is up. All tires are fine. So I turn the car back on and the red warning light is off but the yellow one is still on. No other warnings are on. I go to the tire pressure info option and it says "no messages". Car is driving fine not a hint of vibration in the steering wheel or the car. Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them and how can I get that yellow light to come off.

Oh also the car never gave me a tire pressure reading on any of the tires....

Thanks guys for any help!

Last edited by melmanc55; 07-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 S
Could just be a bad sensor on one of the wheels. I've had bad ones in the past.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
i think a lot of people have issues with bad sensors . not much to worry about . ever since i have changed my wheels , i have been getting those same warnings every once in a while . i just push "ok" and drive on . if you know your car well , you should be able to tell if you have a flat tire or a tire problem . don't lose sleep over it
Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM

C63 AMG
Could just be a bad sensor on one of the wheels. I've had bad ones in the past.
That's what I figured but it seems that the water set it off. Or at least thats what I was thinking.

i think a lot of people have issues with bad sensors . not much to worry about . ever since i have changed my wheels , i have been getting those same warnings every once in a while . i just push "ok" and drive on . if you know your car well , you should be able to tell if you have a flat tire or a tire problem . don't lose sleep over it
Thanks brother. Yeah the car was fine no issues. Just wondering if this going to happen everytime I get in some water...
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM

C63 AMG
Ok just reset the tire sensors and the yellow light went off. Went by Discount tire and they checked the tire pressure for me. The rears were a little low but no big deal. Guy at Discount said that one of the tires may have been spinning in a puddle which could have made the sensor think the tire was flat....
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
when i had my '09, it did that too... i think the sensors were just over sensitive... once you get that red screen, that's basically telling you to stop ignoring it and check your tire pressure.

"correct tire pressure" reads kind of weird... it should be "correct your tire pressure" or "check tire pressure"...

anyway, make sure to reset the sensors after getting them filled up... might want to consider nitrogen since i hear they tend to fluctuate less.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM

2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
Originally Posted by bluejae
when i had my '09, it did that too... i think the sensors were just over sensitive... once you get that red screen, that's basically telling you to stop ignoring it and check your tire pressure.

"correct tire pressure" reads kind of weird... it should be "correct your tire pressure" or "check tire pressure"...

anyway, make sure to reset the sensors after getting them filled up... might want to consider nitrogen since i hear they tend to fluctuate less.
Might also be a good idea to buy a decent tire pressure gauge so you can check them yourself occasionally. I check mine every weekend to make sure I don't have any punctures, etc.

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM

C63 AMG
Might also be a good idea to buy a decent tire pressure gauge so you can check them yourself occasionally. I check mine every weekend to make sure I don't have any punctures, etc.
I have one and I do check them on occasion. The rears were only a pound off. My biggest concern was the sensor going off like that once I hit some water. It shouldn't do that....