Is C63 Really Worth $70k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
The c63 is worth a lot more than a 10K difference.

Remember, the c63 motor is hand made by one man.
And? So what?

What if Dieter was hungover the day he built your motor? What if hans just had a fight with his wife? What if if jurgens had burritos for lunch and was about to **** himself while building your motor.

The one man one motor thing is more marketing than anything.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350, 2002 GT2, 2004 SC M3, 2010 C63
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Whats your point? I don't like compromise cars like the C63.

I prefer a big, comfortable, silent luxury car for a daily driver and a real sporty car for when I want to drive in anger.

Please don't drive angry, it is dangerous, especially in a true sportscar.

Having said that, if you want a wisper quite car that is (just did a direct comparo today) then you should look at the Equus.

I got one last week and it is amazingly luxurious.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM

And? So what?

What if Dieter was hungover the day he built your motor? What if hans just had a fight with his wife? What if if jurgens had burritos for lunch and was about to **** himself while building your motor.

The one man one motor thing is more marketing than anything.
The AMG motors are widely regarded as masterpeices of engineering. Have your even owned one? I have. You own a car from the Chrysler years, you are hardly an authority on quality. There is something quite bizarre about your behavior.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
ok, maybe i haven't.

Please share what cars with an automatic gearbox you find to be "true sports cars"
I don't know about you, but the following cars are true sports cars in my book ....

Ferrari 355
Ferrari 360
Ferrari 430
Ferrari 599 GTO
Ferrari 458
Ferrari Enzo

Lamborghini Gallardo
Lamborghini Murcielago
Lamborghini Reventon
Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche 997.2 Turbo PDK
upcoming Porsche 918

Maserati MC12
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by SMP
I don't know about you, but the following cars are true sports cars in my book ....

Ferrari 355
Ferrari 360
Ferrari 430
Ferrari 599 GTO
Ferrari 458
Ferrari Enzo

Lamborghini Gallardo
Lamborghini Murcielago
Lamborghini Reventon
Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche 997.2 Turbo PDK
upcoming Porsche 918

Maserati MC12
That pretty much sums it up.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Please don't drive angry, it is dangerous, especially in a true sportscar.

Having said that, if you want a wisper quite car that is (just did a direct comparo today) then you should look at the Equus.

I got one last week and it is amazingly luxurious.
Once again, "drive in anger" means driving in a spirited manner. Its a colloquialism.

I'm perfectly happy with my s-class, so I have no need for the hyundai.

The AMG motors are widely regarded as masterpeices of engineering. Have your even owned one? I have. You own a car from the Chrysler years, you are hardly an authority on quality. There is something quite bizarre about your behavior.
Oh cut the crap.

No AMG motor is a masterpiece of engineering. In fact, there is absolutely nothing special about AMG motors. Yes, they make good power out of a lot of displacement. So does the far simpler, far cheaper LS7 from chevrolet.

Have I ever owned one? No. I see no need for compromise cars, which is what every AMG, save for the SLS is.

Right, because I own a car that was manufactured while daimler owned chrysler, I can't have an authority on quality. How do you feel about the quality of 993 porsches? The bottom line, is that the quality of my s500 has been fantastic.

Then again, the quality of my car, and the level of engineering of the amg engine has nothing to do with the ONE MAN ONE MOTOR crap. You should really be impressed by the MB marketing team for making you think this matters.

Whats bizarre? That I don't fawn over the c63? Its a muscle car in a fancier suit...big deal.

Originally Posted by SMP

Ferrari 355
Ferrari 360
Ferrari 430
Ferrari 599 GTO
Ferrari 458
Ferrari Enzo

Lamborghini Gallardo
Lamborghini Murcielago
Lamborghini Reventon
Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche 997.2 Turbo PDK
upcoming Porsche 918

Maserati MC12
Another person who doesn't know what is an automatic transmission and what is a manual transmission with a hydraulically operated clutch.

It also happens to be something I've clarified twice now.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Im my opinion no C Class is worth 70k. But the beauty of a C63 like any other car is that you can buy a CPO one for near half of the price. Brand new the C63 I do not believe is worth it but used its worth looking into.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM

Of course the C63 is not a "pure sportscar" in the sense that a GT2 or even a Corvette is.

What it is is a car that blends easy drivability and good handling with brute power.

That takes us back to the engine, which is what really sets this car apart. Anyone who has owned one knows that they will do more than 400 to the wheels w/ only a tune. And they sound glorious.

And going back to the one man manufacturing issue, are you saying that the engine is no good because the man behind it has a bad day? Really? I take it then that everything manufactured in this world must be automatically flawed and not worth whatever price it costs to purchase.

The thing about these motors, is there is more pride and safeguards put into them than the typical engine (which in turns safeguards against a "bad day"). I am sure that one man spends more than one day building this motor in any event. The German engine experts I know generally rank this motor very high, almost up there w/ the Porsche/Metzger engine.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Once again, "drive in anger" means driving in a spirited manner. Its a colloquialism.

I'm perfectly happy with my s-class, so I have no need for the hyundai.

Oh cut the crap.

No AMG motor is a masterpiece of engineering. In fact, there is absolutely nothing special about AMG motors. Yes, they make good power out of a lot of displacement. So does the far simpler, far cheaper LS7 from chevrolet.

Have I ever owned one? No. I see no need for compromise cars, which is what every AMG, save for the SLS is.

Right, because I own a car that was manufactured while daimler owned chrysler, I can't have an authority on quality. How do you feel about the quality of 993 porsches? The bottom line, is that the quality of my s500 has been fantastic.

Then again, the quality of my car, and the level of engineering of the amg engine has nothing to do with the ONE MAN ONE MOTOR crap. You should really be impressed by the MB marketing team for making you think this matters.

Whats bizarre? That I don't fawn over the c63? Its a muscle car in a fancier suit...big deal.

Another person who doesn't know what is an automatic transmission and what is a manual transmission with a hydraulically operated clutch.

It also happens to be something I've clarified twice now.
So my assertion that your professed expertise about a car you have never driven or owned is crap? How so? What makes you able to judge a C63 as a compromise car? For what it is supposed to do, it does very well?

What makes you an expert about things you obviously know nothing about?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
quite frankly no.

cheap interior, lethargic transmission, tiny wheel/tire package, minimal suspension upgrades, etc.

I agree, car should cost $60k, max.
Really? Haven't noticed.
Stick to your S550, dime a dozen here in L.A. I see more of those then I see Camry's and Civic's.

60k max? thats nearly the price of the M156 AMG engine alone!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I will admit the C63 is not a "true" sports car, but it is indeed a sports car.
I consider cars like the ZR1, Z06, 997TT, GT-R, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc... TRUE sports cars.

But there is no need to bash the C63, this thread was just asking for trouble.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Definitely worth it, at the end of the day its your call but do not underestimate the C63, Yes its a C Class but it is one hell of a C Class.

You should watch Brian Cooley's C63 AMG Review that i Posted on my C63 AMG Facebook Fan Page today, it is a great overall review with honest remarks that will hopefully change your view of the C63, many other great videos are posted on my page aswell so check it out.

Link to my Facebook Page is in my signature, check it out, and dont forget to "Like" the page.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
I like performance too, but not performance wrapped in a 4 door wrapper with an automatic transmission.

I will admit that the C63 is quick in a straightline. Thats where my enjoyment of the car ends.
We don't necessarily disagree. The OP said he's looking for a daily driver, which I took to mean having a real back seat and trunk. If those aren't necessary and the goal is performance, that obviously opens up the options considerably (eg, my 911 is a better sports car than my C63).
Old 08-19-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Of course the C63 is not a "pure sportscar" in the sense that a GT2 or even a Corvette is.

What it is is a car that blends easy drivability and good handling with brute power.

That takes us back to the engine, which is what really sets this car apart. Anyone who has owned one knows that they will do more than 400 to the wheels w/ only a tune. And they sound glorious.

And going back to the one man manufacturing issue, are you saying that the engine is no good because the man behind it has a bad day? Really? I take it then that everything manufactured in this world must be automatically flawed and not worth whatever price it costs to purchase.

The thing about these motors, is there is more pride and safeguards put into them than the typical engine (which in turns safeguards against a "bad day"). I am sure that one man spends more than one day building this motor in any event. The German engine experts I know generally rank this motor very high, almost up there w/ the Porsche/Metzger engine.
The point of my obviously satorical post was that having one skilled builder assemble a motor is no better than having three do it. Further its not better than having a robot build it. Its one of those marketing statements that makes you feel superior but it doesn't result in any more power or reliability.

I'm not sure what a german engine expert is, but there is nothing that great about the mezger flat 6 either
Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
So my assertion that your professed expertise about a car you have never driven or owned is crap? How so? What makes you able to judge a C63 as a compromise car? For what it is supposed to do, it does very well?

What makes you an expert about things you obviously know nothing about?
You assume I haven't driven it but I have extensively. A good friend of mine leased one.

Perhaps its not the car that's bad but rather the concept I find to be a bit useless for me
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Really? Haven't noticed.
Stick to your S550, dime a dozen here in L.A. I see more of those then I see Camry's and Civic's.

60k max? thats nearly the price of the M156 AMG engine alone!
Well first its an s500, and secondly, I don't care how many other people own them...I buy cars for how they drive not how rare they are...but if you want to start the rarity let's start with my other car.

Now then the old 60k engine...that's the price at the parts counter...iirc if you attempted to build a car using parts priced from the dealer it would be about 3 or 4 times more expensive. I hope you don't think the engine costs mb 60k or anything close to that
Old 08-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by kent426
I agree with you there. This is not my first MB. I was considering an upgrade next year to a C63 mainly for the engine but was waiting for a head to head comparison against the M3. The first review that I saw was disspointing that was posted on here. AMG needs to a better job with the suspensions and tires. I am not willing to fork out $70K and get whalopped by an STI and Mustang Boss 302 that cost 1/2 the price. I was hoping for a lot more in 2012 C63.
The C63 is a C63 at the end of the day. Its characteristic is different from an M3. Were you hoping it would be a track star and out handle an M3? Thats what an M3 is for. There is always something out there that is cheaper and handle better. BTW the Boss 302 cost less and still on par with the M3 for track.

Last edited by 1Lop2K5C; 08-20-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 PM

The point of my obviously satorical post was that having one skilled builder assemble a motor is no better than having three do it. Further its not better than having a robot build it. Its one of those marketing statements that makes you feel superior but it doesn't result in any more power or reliability.
That's not necessarily true. When one person builds it and permanently puts their name on it, that creates responsibility and pride of ownership, which usually improves quality. And I really doubt that the entire assembly of an engine could be feasibly robotized, nor would I want it to be.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Perhaps its not the car that's bad but rather the concept I find to be a bit useless for me
OK, we get it, but how is your opinion relevant to the needs of the OP? Seems like you're just bored and want to rile things up.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 PM

I'm not sure what a german engine expert is, but there is nothing that great about the mezger flat 6 either
Ok, now you are REALLY showing your ignorance.

The Metzger is a racing motor that was massed produced. Are you aware of the fact that many metzger engines....I am talking about completely stock blocks that have never been cracked are making in excess of 800 rwhp! My car makes that on C16, and 640 on pump gas, and it is bulletproof reliable. My friends 996TT made 868 rwhp on a stock block.

Are you really so foolish to assert that a 3.5 lter motor that makes 800 rwhp reliably for tens of thousands of miles....most of them all out racing miles, is not special?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 PM

And BTW, I am not talking about a handful of cars. Go over to 6 speed online and you will see at least 25-30 cars making that level of power reliably.

The one that made 868 had 78K on the motor before he decided to rebuild it and make over 1000rwhp.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 PM

c63 amg
i wonder if they have discussions like this on the caddy boards in reference to the cts and ctsv's. the price difference between those cars is about the same as ours.

as far as driving sports cars when im pissed, well screw that. what the hell am i gonna do with a sports car? if i get pissed i want a concrete truck with monster wheels, one gear, and no rev limiter..... all in the back of a traffic jam full of sports cars.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by palerider
i wonder if they have discussions like this on the caddy boards in reference to the cts and ctsv's. the price difference between those cars is about the same as ours.

as far as driving sports cars when im pissed, well screw that. what the hell am i gonna do with a sports car? if i get pissed i want a concrete truck with monster wheels, one gear, and no rev limiter..... all in the back of a traffic jam full of sports cars.
LOL...actually, a less dangerous alternative is 8 rounds on the heavy bags.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Well first its an s500, and secondly, I don't care how many other people own them...I buy cars for how they drive not how rare they are...but if you want to start the rarity let's start with my other car.

Now then the old 60k engine...that's the price at the parts counter...iirc if you attempted to build a car using parts priced from the dealer it would be about 3 or 4 times more expensive. I hope you don't think the engine costs mb 60k or anything close to that
Ok fair enough. ill do the math for you.

--M156 AMG V8--
Cylinder block = $15,000
2x cylinder heads = $6,740
4x cams = $2,480
8x pistons = $6,560
8X connecting rods = $1,600
crankshaft = $3,750
Actuators = $1,200
So far the Total = $37,330 without tax.

Mind you, I left out ALOT of things. Valves, Pulley, Lifters, etc, etc....

Last edited by _AMG_; 08-20-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Is the C63 worth $70k? Probably not. But I'd do it all over again tomorrow!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is C63 Really Worth $70k?