How often do you guys wash your beast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
Ordered it today. Very curious to see how well it works. Thanks!
Glad to help! I should give credit to 1stAMG for introducing me to his California duster... I was sold ever since!! :P
Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
Maybe once every 2 or 3 months, when it's really dirty. I mention it only because I already know I'm going to be an outlier.
That is up to you. The value of your car is going to the toilet(already started). Keep leeting thye bird **** and mosquitos kit your front grill and hood and everything elese and you will see how many permannent stains you get.

The car needs to be washed, the bird crap will destroy your clear coat in hours. If you let it sit for weeks months then is too late.
You can have basic car washs done for $3,99 even if you do a light car wash with clean water rinsing. Trust me!!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I need to add one more comment because I truly believe that am not the only one that think this way but I always consider my car wash a good light work out that makes you work your body, muscles, allows you to strech and also makes you burn calories so in a good sense I always see the positive side of it.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Lol. I'm embarrassed to say what I clean my car with compared to what you use. I can say it's not ****, so at least I have Zephyr beat.

Your car looks great in those pics!
Lol as long as its water and soap, then its all good.
Thanks for the comment.

Originally Posted by Roswell
Glad to help! I should give credit to 1stAMG for introducing me to his California duster... I was sold ever since!! :P
California Duster is awesome!
Had mine for 3 1/2 years and works better the more you use it.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by _AMG_
What kind of equipment do you guys use to clean your cars?

I stick with the Makita variable speed buffer with 3M polishing pads, compounds, and glazes mainly for paint correction.
For paint cleaning and protection I usually go with DodoJuice Lime Prime, P21S, KLASSE all-in-one and Chemical Guys waxes.

Spent 6 hours washing and waxing the car on Sunday.
My major details, about twice a year (takes about 2 days worth)

I have a porter cable RO buffer, and the full detail is in the following order.
* Wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash (can also be used as a product stripper in more concentrated forms)
* Clay bar (with Dodo juice slippy lube)
* Wash again
* Menzerna (medium and light abrasive) polishes for paint correction.
* Wipe down with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any left over polish.
* Chemical Guys EZCreme Acrylic glaze to hide light scratches that cannot be corrected as well as give it a nicer shine)
* Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant
* Wait 24 hours and another coat of sealant
* Chemical Brothers 50/50 concourse wax

Basic wash and maintenance (every week or 2, except for the waxing, takes about 30 minutes)
* Chemical Guys Citrus wash
* Towel dry
* Reapply wax every 3 or so months
Old 08-24-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350

I would be lost without it, especially on a black car...mine is like, 7 years old and it works better with age. 1stamg's duster is about 16 years old. I am not kidding. had it since his 1993 canary yellow RX7 TT .

That damn diffuser acts like a vacuum cleaner and makes a beautiful rooster tail that coats the back of your car afterr literally one wheel rotation. I guess it works. After the duster i would quick detail it with Meguiars. I also am finicky with the wheels and wipe them at the end of the day. I purchased a product call FW1 that I have applied on the rims and it does a heck of a job keeping them easy to clean and repel brake dust.

Last edited by coladin; 08-24-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz AMG GTS
Once a week, but that is because this is my first black car and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean lol. When I had my white benz, maybe once every two weeks in the summer. Its pretty dry here in Dallas June-September.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
3 Times a Week: Every Month A Full Clay and engine cleaning. Every 6 months a Minor paint correction and sealant.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
This may have been discussed in this thread already: what would be a good product to use after you wash your car and you want to go over different parts of the paint that may have a little debris or smudge that didn't come off in the wash? Perhaps some thick, liquid-type polish of some kind that you can wipe on/off?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
i wash my car about once a week, and i daily drive the C63 I almost find taking care of a Black car easier than White. Or at the very least less annoying. On a white car you can see every little carbon spot stuck on to the back of the car when you wash it, making me wanna clay it every time i wash the car lol.

I had a black Z and i find it much more satisfying washing that car than i do with this one.

As for products I have been using ONR wash, sheepskin mitt, and a simple coat of Zaino for sealant/wax. I'm running low on supplies though, so I'm probrably going to try something else after the Zaino stuff runs out. I've recently read about Grout Sponges from HomeDepot/Lowes as a replacement for sheepskin mitts (on autopia), so I'm going to give that a shot. Not sure what sealant i'm going to use going forward after the Zaino runs out.

Rowell is right about the Cali duster. The way I use it is to lightly brush the car to take the dust off the car, then do a spray down with Quick Detailer and a MF towel. It's a fantastic product, especially for those who don't drive the car often and has a dusty garage. Just make sure you're not pushing the brush in like you would a "normal" brush. Just running it over and let the fibres do the work for you.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Every 3 days.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 AM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Once a week. Probably once each 2 weeks if it gets rainy.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This may have been discussed in this thread already: what would be a good product to use after you wash your car and you want to go over different parts of the paint that may have a little debris or smudge that didn't come off in the wash? Perhaps some thick, liquid-type polish of some kind that you can wipe on/off?
Debris that is stuck to your paint, you will want a dedicated cleaner for that, tar and bug remover and do spot cleans in those areas. Use any type of regular car shampoo and a sponge/sheepskin mit and trying to rub off the debris will only result in you grinding it into the paint.

Light passes using a claybar and some lubricant will also work pretty well.

Like autopia, I highly reccomend people go peruse the howto's on Detailed Images website (detailedimage.com assuming the forums here do not eat the url)
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys and Dodo Juice brand products.

As for the grout sponge, most people (myself included) use that on the side skirts and splitters/lower bumber areas. Using a grout sponge on the paint will probably result in swirlies and scratches since the sponge does not really do a good jon of lifting dirt into itself like a good quality sheepsking mitt, or those microfiber covered sponges with the fingers.
Originally Posted by noodleman
i wash my car about once a week, and i daily drive the C63 I almost find taking care of a Black car easier than White. Or at the very least less annoying. On a white car you can see every little carbon spot stuck on to the back of the car when you wash it, making me wanna clay it every time i wash the car lol.

I had a black Z and i find it much more satisfying washing that car than i do with this one.

As for products I have been using ONR wash, sheepskin mitt, and a simple coat of Zaino for sealant/wax. I'm running low on supplies though, so I'm probrably going to try something else after the Zaino stuff runs out. I've recently read about Grout Sponges from HomeDepot/Lowes as a replacement for sheepskin mitts (on autopia), so I'm going to give that a shot. Not sure what sealant i'm going to use going forward after the Zaino runs out.

Rowell is right about the Cali duster. The way I use it is to lightly brush the car to take the dust off the car, then do a spray down with Quick Detailer and a MF towel. It's a fantastic product, especially for those who don't drive the car often and has a dusty garage. Just make sure you're not pushing the brush in like you would a "normal" brush. Just running it over and let the fibres do the work for you.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
It seems like it would scratch the paint? Probably have to go over the paint lightly correct?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Also: Keep your exhaust pipes shiny and clean. I followed the steps in the link below with excellent results. It changed the appearance of the rear end dramatically.

People often leave the exhaust pipes dirty, even the detailers!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/d...aust-tips.html
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Debris that is stuck to your paint, you will want a dedicated cleaner for that, tar and bug remover and do spot cleans in those areas. Use any type of regular car shampoo and a sponge/sheepskin mit and trying to rub off the debris will only result in you grinding it into the paint.

Light passes using a claybar and some lubricant will also work pretty well.

Like autopia, I highly reccomend people go peruse the howto's on Detailed Images website (detailedimage.com assuming the forums here do not eat the url)
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

May I ask what would be a good product to use when the car has been washed, and there is no debris left but you just want to polish the paint a little with a MF? I've seen my auto detailer use some kind of cream that he wipes around on the car and it really brings out a nice polish.

I'll check out that website.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
Also: Keep your exhaust pipes shiny and clean. I followed the steps in the link below with excellent results. It changed the appearance of the rear end dramatically.

That was one heck of write up. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try that exact procedure.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I use Chemical Guys Citrus wash. It can be diluted to 3 different levels, chemical stripping (removes previous waxes, sealants and glazes), regular wash level, safe to use on wax and sealant, and detail dilution level. The latter is what I stick in a spray bottle, and use with a quality MF cloth for quick detailing.

You can generally do this with most quality car shampoos.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

May I ask what would be a good product to use when the car has been washed, and there is no debris left but you just want to polish the paint a little with a MF? I've seen my auto detailer use some kind of cream that he wipes around on the car and it really brings out a nice polish.

I'll check out that website.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I use Chemical Guys Citrus wash. It can be diluted to 3 different levels, chemical stripping (removes previous waxes, sealants and glazes), regular wash level, safe to use on wax and sealant, and detail dilution level. The latter is what I stick in a spray bottle, and use with a quality MF cloth for quick detailing.

You can generally do this with most quality car shampoos.
Oh... very cool. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
I use this one:

http://calcarduster.com/originalDuster.asp

It wipes the dust on the rear bumper with one strike... awesome product & will save you tons of washes. Be sure to put the duster in the newspaper before first use to remove the excess oil.
My car duster is getting dirty. How would you recommend I clean it?

Another good product are those microfiber towels todry the finish after the wash or use on the interior. Beats Terry cloth or those chamois of yore!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys and Dodo Juice brand products.

As for the grout sponge, most people (myself included) use that on the side skirts and splitters/lower bumber areas. Using a grout sponge on the paint will probably result in swirlies and scratches since the sponge does not really do a good jon of lifting dirt into itself like a good quality sheepsking mitt, or those microfiber covered sponges with the fingers.
Well, the top part of my car is generally pretty clean, so maybe two sponger would be ok?

Originally Posted by bushburninc63
It seems like it would scratch the paint? Probably have to go over the paint lightly correct?
Yea, you don't have to work it in hard, just run it over panel and it'll pick up most of the dust.

Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG

Thanks! My exhaust tips have been driving me nuts and i'm going to try this. The previous owner left it really dirty and it's annoying me. Hopefully it can take out the caked on carbon bits as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by coladin
I would be lost without it, especially on a black car...mine is like, 7 years old and it works better with age. 1stamg's duster is about 16 years old. I dust.
16 years old? Wow.. It was still working clean!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by grane
My car duster is getting dirty.
I was told not to wash it, just shake it outside? Not sure though as mine is fairly new still.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Yes, just use it lightly on a dusty car, not dirt. If 1 or 2 strike doesn't clean it, then it means u need a wash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How often do you guys wash your beast?