Sponsored by:

Wife issues/arguements about modding the C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
My wife married me knowing it was my thing. I recently took my 2010 C63 and garaged it. Its no longer my dd. She wasn't to happy about that but she got over it.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by propain
My wife married me knowing it was my thing...
+1

Most successful long-term relationships (marriage, friends, business, etc.) best develop from varying degrees of give and take.

My wife’s daily drivers have always been my cars. That is to say I pay for them, their operational expenses (gas, insurance and maintenance) and modify them to best suit my needs and financial situation. Invariably stock appearing to the untrained eye, they ride more stiffly, are noisier, and require relatively costly consumables and upkeep at regular intervals. Although she works, there has always been a tacit agreement between us during our 19+ years of marriage that pertinent automotive decisions are my area of expertise and responsibility.

If the damned things also get her where she wants to go, it’s conveniently infrequent when a complaint heard. :)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jacob502
Why do you even talk about tuning your car with yourt wife?

women are always against this stuff, they are afraid and they dont want to see us get in trouble with speeding and the cops.

dude just do what I do. Tune youe car and dont tell her about it, and if she asks where the car is at, just tell he it needs service and maintenance
Because she knows a lot about cars. We had her last two cars tuned(Evo IX and VW GLI). She drives my car as well so she would have known if the car was down for something. Kind of hard to hide to be honest...
Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Her bigest concern was the warranty. She thinks that "we" are not preparing in the event of a mechanical failure and I can understand that part. She mentions that the car is already fast enough (obviously not for me) so it is very hard for her to understand my point of view.
I haven't disclose prices either, that would set het up into a panic mode. She is use to the $150 ECU mail-in from Dynoflash on her Evo or a more expensive GIAC tune from GIAC-USA on her VW GLI. These prices are high enough to set her up for an argument.

Thanks or the inputs guys, I am definately grabbing ammunition with your comments.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
You make me feel good about my wife. :o She drives the e63 and wouldn't complain if I mod my car as long as we have the money for it. She also makes more money than me. I say if you can afford the mods and the maintenance than she should not say anything.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG
Lol, I would suggest you listen to none of us in the forum and live with it. Looks to me like half the ppl here either have a very understanding wife or they go out to cheat on them every other day rofl. If I am you, I will just not mod it and have some quite time rofl
Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
HAHAHAHA
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Thats exactly why i am a single man JK of course but you know it is what it is..
Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
You make me feel good about my wife. :o She drives the e63 and wouldn't complain if I mod my car as long as we have the money for it. She also makes more money than me. I say if you can afford the mods and the maintenance than she should not say anything.

You are in a win-win situation buddy. I wish my wife made more money ..
Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I guess I should feel fortunate that my girl is cool about my car modding habit.
Her philosophy is you only live once so why not enjoy it.
I fully agree!!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 AM

RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
My wife has no idea what it costs.

Just say the car needs a service.

I have a Renntech airbox, ECU, way louder exhaust and she has no idea
Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I'm pretty lucky I guess. In all those years being married, she never said a word. Whether I was buying a new car, having 4 or 5 at the same time or buying wheels, exhausts, roll bars, suspensions or whatever .... and I have some pretty expensive taste, no matter what it is. Sometimes she's unhappy about my driving style, but that's about it. Only on the street though, as she was many times riding shotgun at a road course with me .... she confessed that most of the time she closes her eyes. However, I never pretended to be someone else from the day I met her. She's a great person, and to be honest, I couldn't ask for a better wife. I'd marry her again in a heartbeat!

On the other hand, my wife has nothing to complain about it either. I'm a very giving guy, and not only with matters that involve money. I'm also never mad when she destroys something on my cars, which happened a few times .... just recently I had to replace the engine tray and oil cooler on the M6. I didn't say a word .... just brought it to the dealer and had it fixed.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SMP
I'm pretty lucky I guess. In all those years being married, she never said a word. Whether I was buying a new car, having 4 or 5 at the same time or buying wheels, exhausts, roll bars, suspensions or whatever .... and I have some pretty expensive taste, no matter what it is. Sometimes she's unhappy about my driving style, but that's about it. Only on the street though, as she was many times riding shotgun at a road course with me .... she confessed that most of the time she closes her eyes. However, I never pretended to be someone else from the day I met her. She's a great person, and to be honest, I couldn't ask for a better wife. I'd marry her again in a heartbeat!

On the other hand, my wife has nothing to complain about it either. I'm a very giving guy, and not only with matters that involve money. I'm also never mad when she destroys something on my cars, which happened a few times .... just recently I had to replace the engine tray and oil cooler on the M6. I didn't say a word .... just brought it to the dealer and had it fixed.
That's what a successful and happy marriage is all about.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Fact: This has been discussed by every guy in every car forum on the internet..does not matter if you are into Yugos, AMGs or Deloreans.

Fact: 95% of all women will NEVER understand men's passion for the automobile and the inanimate object that it is. Women look at a car as a way to get from point A to B *only*, yet don't dare take them out for dinner in a 1983 Caprice.

Fact: Women feel very jealous that men love (and use the word "love") their cars and pour money, time and attention towards their cars.

Fact: If you are married and married to a woman who does not understand your hobby or passion for the automobile, be prepared for a roll-a-coaster ride as it will be inevitable that this discussion will come up and be prepared to walk on egg shells.

My Take: Current GF, I have told her numerous times "You do realize I spend ALOT of time and $$$ on my cars?" Almost like I have to remind her and even do so subliminaly even when we talk "Oh yes babe..I just spend the entire evening polishing my lug nuts". My ex..I told her before we got married.."these cars were here before you came, and will be here long after you are gone"....guess what? I was right!

Good luck.

Y

Last edited by slownrusty; 08-29-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
There is never an easy solution when dealing with a wife. But you must come to and understanding or compromise. Bottom line, is you must live with her. It's totally different, if it's a girlfriend.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 AM

2014 E63 S
If your wife is stressing over a few hundred bucks you've got bigger problems than your car not being fast enough. Sounds to me like she doesn't think you can afford it. Your solution is to find out why and ease her mind about it.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Dont tell what mods you do or what it cost. My wife drives the E55 and me the E500. Less commute miles for her work. I've added the KNs and she noticed that response time was more responsive when step on the gas. Told her i replaced the air filters after getting the car. Then I got an OE Tune and she said the cars feel MORE responsive now after i took it in for service:-).

I picked up some HRE 547s for $2k and told her they MSRP for$5-6k new. Said i got a good deal.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by slownrusty
"Oh yes babe..I just spend the entire evening polishing my lug nuts".
Too much information
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
If your wife is stressing over a few hundred bucks you've got bigger problems than your car not being fast enough. Sounds to me like she doesn't think you can afford it. Your solution is to find out why and ease her mind about it.
He speaks the truth. Doesn't really sound like she is against the mods in general, but that right now she is stressing out. There is a reason. Its your job to find out that reason and get it sorted. Odds are she is telling you, and that you're not really hearing it.

With my wife, letting her know that I hear what she is saying is essential to this process. A big part of that is NOT working on my rebuttal while she is still talking 'cos I have a tendency to do that.

She's your partner. Doesn't mean you will always agree. Doesn't mean you will always get what you want. It does mean that working things out is an essential part of the happiness equation for BOTH of you.

BTW My wife couldn't shiv a git. I always find away to make a few $$$ and pay for what I want. And on top of that, I've probably talked about it for so long before I do it that she would give just about anything to shut me up.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
This thread delivers.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
lots of real talk .. dunno who to agree wit first .. but yea if she ever complain about mod bills just show her the bill , tell her it cost 4 times more but thats what you got it for and she wont feel like your throwin the family savings away ..
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My brother-in-law is in the same situation as OP. He brings in the $$ and she spends it on designer crap while telling him he cannot spend on his mods. WTF? How about spending your mod $$ around the holidays or your B-day? That is the way I usually do it. Plus, since my wife is a CPA, I also spend mod $$ during the later months of tax time when our income is higher and she is too busy to care about our personal finances.

Good luck brotha!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM

2011 C63 P31
A man's car is none of his wife's business.

/thread
Old 08-29-2011, 12:40 PM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by skoobz2001
A man's car is none of his wife's business.

/thread
I'm amazed at the number of posters that appear to be total douchebags towards their wives. It's your wife guys... not your staff.. geez
Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Remember that 99% of your happiness or misery in life depends on who you marry. If you have a passion for cars, follow that passion to the extent that your finances and other time demands comfortably allow, but don't put cars ahead of your marriage. If you and your wife disagree about spending money, or anything else important, talk through the issue until both of you at least understand each other. And if the result is that your priorities are just different on some things, be prepared to compromise. I say all of this after nearly two happy decades with my wife and still going strong ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wife issues/arguements about modding the C63