C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

WTH..... "limp Mode"!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
If this was that plain and simple, then putting the car back stock would solve the issue unless somehow once an ECU is cracked, there is always a ghost in the machine??? I am not an engineer so maybe someone with a lot of experience in this matter can chime in.
Could replacing the ECU be a solution?
Sorry you are having that issue. I feel for you because I would be really angry having to make payments on a car that right now cannot be driven and fixed.
Please keep us updated. The dealer should hopefully find a fix soon.
The negative of all this is that it is probably out of your own pocket for all the repairs and the dealer will flag the car as being modded and future warranty is voided (let's not get in a side discussion whether this is right or not)
Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I have never been convinced about electronic throtles, I still consider the cable operated thotle to be more than sufficient, typically they last the lie of the car without issues or adjustments. I hope that is just a sensor and nothing major.
Are you running the Evo sport pulley?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by emericr
If this was that plain and simple, then putting the car back stock would solve the issue unless somehow once an ECU is cracked, there is always a ghost in the machine??? I am not an engineer so maybe someone with a lot of experience in this matter can chime in.
Could replacing the ECU be a solution?
Each ecu is tuned according to your engine, individually, when it comes from the factory. Unless you have them create a second ecu for you (at the dealership), then I believe, or it is my understanding, that you cannot get your ecu back to stock once it's tuned. That seems a bit odd to me, but it is what I've read. I have also not read an of an instance where a stock car experienced this exact issue. Only cars with a tune seem to be susceptible to this type of failure. I've been paying particular attention because I was thinking about getting my engine tuned.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by justpetef
Each ecu is tuned according to your engine, individually, when it comes from the factory. Unless you have them create a second ecu for you (at the dealership), then I believe, or it is my understanding, that you cannot get your ecu back to stock once it's tuned. That seems a bit odd to me, but it is what I've read. I have also not read an of an instance where a stock car experienced this exact issue. Only cars with a tune seem to be susceptible to this type of failure. I've been paying particular attention because I was thinking about getting my engine tuned.

Where is your source for this claim that each car has a one of kind factory tune?

I highly doubt this.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Merc63
Where is your source for this claim that each car has a one of kind factory tune?

I highly doubt this.
One of the other threads - I'm sure you'll find it if you look hard enough - I don't know it to be a fact, and they can, or do re-create it at the dealership, or perhaps run another stock tune on your car - because you can buy a secondary ECU (although that'd be a good tip-off to them that you're tuning the ECU and they it may void your warranty).

Again - this is just what I've gathered from various threads here on the forum during my research as to whether I was going to have a tune done, and could just be speculation - I am not certain that it's fact. Perhaps someone other can either deny or confirm this belief that's more familiar with ECU/Warranty issues.

Last edited by justpetef; 10-29-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
One of the other threads - I'm sure you'll find it if you look hard enough - I don't know it to be a fact, and they can, or do re-create it at the dealership, or perhaps run another stock tune on your car - because you can buy a secondary ECU (although that'd be a good tip-off to them that you're tuning the ECU and they it may void your warranty).

Again - this is just what I've gathered from various threads here on the forum during my research as to whether I was going to have a tune done, and could just be speculation - I am not certain that it's fact. Perhaps someone other can either deny or confirm this belief that's more familiar with ECU/Warranty issues.
I highly doubt about each C AMG has it's own specific ECU. It is not cost effective for MBZ or any auto manufacturer. The AMG engine is individually hand assembled but all the parts are the same. IMHO only.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 PM

nonsense
Old 10-30-2011, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG

Its untrue. Every ECU goes out with the same file.

Just get a tune and quit worrying about it. My dealership knows I have the secondary ECU. But what can they prove?? I bought it, never got it tuned, had second thoughts...

I have had the car in there for several warranty issues related to the engine and not a word from them.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
There are about 15 versions of factory software

Each is slightly different, but there is no problem in any good tuner going back to stock
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
c63
anyone still have this issue with their c63?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
My stock 2012 p31 coupe has that issue and AMG knows of this and is looking into a fix. i made a post about it a while back. i was promised that by the end of april i should get a fix (from AMG).

car runs perfectly i only noticed it happen when i went on the track and pushed the car and drove it hard.

Last edited by theturkster; 04-03-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
c63
i think my tuner have solve the issue for me.
The c63 will only go limp mode in sport or manual mode, this is due to the auto-blipping function. I haven't experience limp mode in C mode before, always in sport or manual, especially when blipping down.
So what u need to do is to change to the new pedal, which gives more accurate reading, that is what i was told.
Like some people, even after changing the new pedal, the limp mode happens.
Next you need to reset your car adaptation back to zero, factory setting. Because of the old pedal, the adaptation data is messed up and likely to be out of range, so even with new pedal and readings, crap still happens.
After setting back to factory adaptation, the car will learn your driving pattern from scratch again.
BTW, mine is custom tuned, so i think the limp mode has nothing to do with the tuning. My throttle is now set to open even bigger with the new pedal, so any error will cause the car to go limp mode even easier. so far no problem for me.
i hope this helps people out there still with this problem.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 AM

2011 C63AMG P31
i had that problem and changed two pedals and i had MHP tune talked to MHP and they solve the problem !

Abdullah
Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
This happened to my ML63 with a Powerchip tune. Launder the car with pedal to the floor and went into limp mode. Powerchip software was removed and has never happened since with my Weistec, Brabus or Vath tunes.
You had all those different tunes in your car?