C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Weistec M156/M159 Oil / Air Separator

Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Having run a lot of these in the past... A catch can is a catch can no mater how you look at it. They all function the same. The Tech is all the same, if not similar.

The most I ever paid for one was $300. This was for my VW at the time and everyone was ragging on me, that I wasted my money and that you could get them for $100. I just liked the way this one looked hahaha

Bad *** right? They made them look like ammo boxes.

Weistec M156/M159 Oil / Air Separator-100_1983.jpg

It's really up to the end user if he/she wants to spend upwards of $500 for one. They can be easily had for $100 and a really nice one for $200-$300. Any of them will easily fit any car including our AMG motors. For $100 you'd have plenty of money to spare to buy nice earl fittings etc to make it look factory.

One thing I don't like about this particular catch can is that from the looks of it, it uses steel wool or some sort of metal gauze for the oil/water separation....

My experience with this design is that in colder climates or guys who drive in the winter the gauze will freeze and "plug" up flow...(it turns into a giant wool ice cube) On the VWs this lead to blown valve cover gaskets as the pressure built up too much.

I like the Carbing design. Instead of gauze they use 3 offset baffles to do the oil/water separation.

Couldn't find the Carbing design, but they use large holes that don't plug up easily... Here's an example by 42DD

(EDIT) another thing I would like to add is that if this didn't have the steel wool design I would consider buying this can. I don't have time to build my own catch can and source fittings and figure out where to mount it. Though I'd probably save $150-200 it's really not worth the time.

My question is.... Has Weistec made a mounting bracket or found a place to put this in our engine bays? Or is this just a universal can for AMG motors and we have to figure that out?
Now if they found a place to mount it, built a nice mounting bracket, quick release for emptying it out (emptying these things in a tight space can be a pain in the ***... not to mention MESSY!) I'd say just from the R&D then yeah it's worth it.

hope that helps...

Last edited by Rsquad911; 10-30-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
There we go again and again.
No one attacked anybody but someone had to feel hurt.
This is a discussion forum so I do not understand the people like Jeff stating it is a waste of time...
The bottom line is that if there is enough demand and people with deep pockets that do not care the same product could be had for 1/2, then the MB tax will always be there.
It has been proven for headers and carbon fiber products that the same product can be sold without an outrageous margin (half compared to the top vendors in this forum).
Yes, I am one of those people that think that the C63 is overpriced and MB has a substantially better margin on all the AMG. An SL 63 does not cost close to twice as much as an SL 300 (comparing base price in Europe, 90K Euros vs 167K). MB and all the prestigious brands are aware that rich people will pay extra for the status factor.
I shall remind everyone that when Lexus introduced their LS model, it was half the price of an S class and was the same or even better in most categories. Now that it has established market share, the price went up substantially.
Looking forward to your answers
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
Great post Rsquad911.

Jim
Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
Hey guys,

The Oil/Air Separator system comes equipped with a series of brackets to fit all AMG models, and is a very straight forward and easy install. The M156/M159 engine has only one crankcase vent location which is located near the back of the block. AMG uses a proprietary fitting not only on the engine block but also on the back side of the intake manifold which thus requires R&D and reverse engineering to create a fitting that is "bolt-on". To do this any other way would cause a few parts to be unreversible in the event you want to remove the Oil/Air Separator.

With that being said, we will be posting installation pictures shortly to give everyone an idea of how easy this part is to install. Thanks guys!

Weistec Engineering
Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Originally Posted by Weistec
Hey guys,

The Oil/Air Separator system comes equipped with a series of brackets to fit all AMG models, and is a very straight forward and easy install. The M156/M159 engine has only one crankcase vent location which is located near the back of the block. AMG uses a proprietary fitting not only on the engine block but also on the back side of the intake manifold which thus requires R&D and reverse engineering to create a fitting that is "bolt-on". To do this any other way would cause a few parts to be unreversible in the event you want to remove the Oil/Air Separator.

With that being said, we will be posting installation pictures shortly to give everyone an idea of how easy this part is to install. Thanks guys!

Weistec Engineering
can't wait to see pics!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Hey guys,

Weistec Engineering
Thank you

Easy EXACT replacements fort ANY vehicle require alot of R/D. For an instant on and off repalcement, my hat is tipped

Yes ANYONE can build a cheap, POS, catch can for less, but a ture bolt on of HIGH quality

GREAT job guys, and keep it coming
Old 10-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Are you guys going to be at SEMA? If so, can you bring one along to have a look at it in person. Bring the brackets, etc. I might buy it on the spot.

Jim
Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey guys,

Weistec Engineering
That explains everything. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jspAMG
Are you guys going to be at SEMA? If so, can you bring one along to have a look at it in person. Bring the brackets, etc. I might buy it on the spot.

Jim
Buy??? With the exposure your car is giving them, it should be "comped." Perhaps it has already found it's way into your engine compartment
Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Nah, I pay my own way.

Jim
Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nah, I pay my own way.

Jim
By throwing spare coins at them??? Sorry Jim...I just couldn't resist....
Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM

LOL!! That's hilarious on multiple levels!

Jim
Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim
Glad you're a sport about it.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 PM

I said I have a purpose for what I do. I'm better than you think in some ways. Worse in others. I imagine James and Peter will have a good laugh about this too if they see it.

I'm STILL laughing about it.

Jim
Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 PM

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series

Jim
Fantastic, 2 mature men razzing each other while still having respect, not that hard to do, and what a refreshing change . Not that difficult to have differences in ideas and opinions as long as no one is forcing them on a person, or insistent on a one-stand take on a subject. Not easy but will work if people that are not sure and/or fired up, to re-read the post to make sure you read it right, ask what the words meant, and if needed, say they are more than needed to make a point, or just walk away

Jim and jspAMG, You guys crack me up , what is wrong with you fuktards not doing this more often would really help spending time here to be more enjoyable for all (you know I was razzing there right ), need to enlist you to salvage posts gone awry .

Alright, enough of my know it all take on life, it's not that fukn great anyways LOL.

Last edited by Jeff M; 10-30-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:56 PM

Hey guys,

Weistec Engineering
Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt did not come back to bite me in the *** , they showed they deserved it! That is great customer service, and on a Sunday no less . More than enough of an update for me, and a show they were already on the same tract/knows how to run a good business and make a comprehensive product, even if they have to endure such bantering off the internet . Hope they don't have to run to the rescue often, it would make me take my business to another brand
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rsquad911
Having run a lot of these in the past... A catch can is a catch can no mater how you look at it. They all function the same. The Tech is all the same, if not similar.
Great research, excellent points, thanks man . If you don't mind, just a view of the same thoughts on the same line. The one you show/others might be like this too/not all the same thankfully, the breather on one of these is not a good idea. The vacuum in the intake manifold is used to evacuate the crankcase, with a breather there is no longer a good strong vacuum in the crankcase with this setup, it has a vacuum leak now. Also, known plenty of guys that found some of the CC setups allowed too much to be pulled, or not enough, universal is not always good, and you only know if there are gross indication, anything less that is still not right, will exist without someone knowing of it.

Originally Posted by Rsquad911
For $100 you'd have plenty of money to spare to buy nice earl fittings etc to make it look factory.

One thing I don't like about this particular catch can is that from the looks of it, it uses steel wool or some sort of metal gauze for the oil/water separation....

My experience with this design is that in colder climates or guys who drive in the winter the gauze will freeze and "plug" up flow...(it turns into a giant wool ice cube) On the VWs this lead to blown valve cover gaskets as the pressure built up too much.

I like the Carbing design. Instead of gauze they use 3 offset baffles to do the oil/water separation.

Now if they found a place to mount it, built a nice mounting bracket, quick release for emptying it out (emptying these things in a tight space can be a pain in the ***... not to mention MESSY!) I'd say just from the R&D then yeah it's worth it.

hope that helps...
I think lots of answer to your questions were given, custom end fittings, hard to tell since they look like a totally quality finished, normal off the shelf fitting, but not . The other; the mounting figured out already for you, not some need to hack your car, or mess up the stock plumbing since it has these custom fittings, nice!

Also the web site states a brass media, you just missed that is all .

As for freezing, good catch, seems the VW boys (and else) found something interesting, just want to give it some more thought. This brass media has little mass as compared (assuming here so correct me if you know) to those fully stuffed with a media that I have seen, which will not yield very easily to a warm engine's crankcase fumes getting things above a freezing point. Whereas the smaller amount of brass has a better chance, all you need is any passage for more and more hot fumes to go by to warm everything up. That and the location, near plenty of cold air moving past it, as well the thermostat/fan-on settings/engine operating temps of these VWs might all add to this, most M156 engine bays are like a toaster LOL. Last, I like the interesting design of the Carbing's internals, might be a little less able to be a good separator of fine misted particles......not totally sure but most of the fumes are fine mists and can get by/not collecting as much as you would want. As well, oil/water-condensation will still hang/stick onto that layered surface and could freeze up some as well?

Thanks again for the input and perspectives

Last edited by Jeff M; 10-31-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
Hey Guys,

We wanted to update everyone on the actual installation pictures of the Oil/Air Separator. This is a better illustration of how we have designed proprietary fittings to work will existing parts.

This will also work with our supercharger system as well. For more information, please visit our website. http://weistec.com/products.html Thanks again guys!

Weistec Engineering
Old 11-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
Thanks for the pics,

Damn you wouldn't want to drop the allen key into the intake when undoing the original fitting.

On the intake, the upper bolt clearly has an allan key fitting however the lower one looks different. What is it?

UPS is telling me mine arrives on Friday

Last edited by schmick325; 11-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
Originally Posted by schmick325
Thanks for the pics,

Damn you wouldn't want to drop the allen key into the intake when undoing the original fitting.

On the intake, the upper bolt clearly has an allan key fitting however the lower one looks different. What is it?

UPS is telling me mine arrives on Friday
schmick325 can you please specify which picture you are looking at? Thanks.

Weistec Engineering
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice. Looks OEM.

What is the install time with the engine in the car?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
schmick325 can you please specify which picture you are looking at? Thanks.

Weistec Engineering
probably talking about the 5th picture
Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
This looks like you guys put a lot of R&D into it. Very well done guys.

In this picture, is this piece of plastic one of Mercedes part or is it from your oil catch?
Attached Thumbnails Weistec M156/M159 Oil / Air Separator-wos21.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by PartyVan

In this picture, is this piece of plastic one of Mercedes part or is it from your oil catch?

Weistec are the real deal. I tried their Brisk spark Plugs on my 63. I gapped them just like they told me and my car is quicker. It is apparent that they put alot of effort and work in this platform and know what they are doing. I'm defenitley going to buy this seperator.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
Originally Posted by PartyVan

That piece is a factory Merecedes part. That shows how these engines come from the factory. We added that picture as a comparison. Let me know if that helps. Thanks!

Weistec Engineering
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM

RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
The fitting that is bolted to the intake manifold (next to the rubber Y) has 2 bolts securing it.

The upper bolt is clearly an allen key while I am not sure on what the lower one is.

I know how tight that area is on my car so just wondering what tools are needed.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weistec M156/M159 Oil / Air Separator