Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Costco gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by looney100
Hey man, believe what you want. I'm just trying to help others here make informed decisions on what they're buying for their car.
I don't benefit either way. I haven't advertised for any particular brand of gasoline. I just want the group to be aware that there IS a difference in quality between the majors and the 'others'. As I said, if you're not keeping your car for long, save your money and buy cheaper gas, because valve deposits won't have time to build up and affect performance. For me, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks a year so that my car will run better, longer.
Let me disclaim (don't take this the wrong way) but his main question was never answered. He asked for clear, verified proof that Costco's additives are of "lower" quality than others and in addition, who exactly are the suppliers? Not you just stating it, but actual proof. Yes I see what industry you work in, but I agree with him, I need to see some links or cited references. Also, I would like to know (it seems Unbreakable1 got some answers) who exactly supplies:

Costco's gas?
Sam's Club Gas?
Kroger Gas?
Meijer's Gas?
BJ's Gas?

Being that you work in the industry directly, can you find this information out? This would really help us all in making more informed decisions when purchasing gas from these chains. I also think this thread should be posted not just in the C63 area, but in the main area as well to inform all that drive MB's AMG or NA.

Personally, I use a mix of Kroger, QuikTrip (I see they are top tier), Sam's Club gas.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Well looking at Coscto's website, here is part of the answer:

Since 1995, all gasoline sold in the U.S. must include an EPA-approved detergent additive. All Costco gas has always contained these additives. Costco gas stations are well maintained and our fuel has always been 100% guaranteed.

Increasing Federal emissions and mileage requirements, plus the competitive pressures of the automotive marketplace, have led to improved and more complicated engine designs. These improvements make many engines more sensitive to carbon deposits on intake valves and clogged fuel injectors. Dirty engines can sometimes trigger a "check engine" dashboard warning light. Many of the latest model vehicles perform better using fuel that contains more than the minimum EPA detergent requirement.

As our valued member, you expect Costco to always offer the finest quality products at the best possible price. Gasoline is no exception. Costco has closely studied fuel additives and engine deposits, and conducted extensive fuel tests at nationally-recognized laboratories. As a result, we decided to increase the detergent additives in our fuel to provide a better value to our members. Cleaner engines run better, run longer, and they pollute less.

Costco gas with Kirkland Signature Clean Power detergent additives contains five times the EPA detergent requirement. Clean Power doesn't just keep your engine clean - it also helps remove any existing deposits. Costco Gasoline - Something good just got better!

Look for the notice above each pump as we add Kirkland Signature Clean Power detergent additive to the fuel at all our gas stations.

And this from Top Tier's home page:

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

Last edited by bhamg; 11-07-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
A few comments:
  • I have no proof that Costco's additives are of 'lesser' quality. My only point is that they are not Top Tier, and from a few posts on this thread, Top Tier fuel seems to be an important purchase criteria for forum members. From the excerpt from Costco's site, it appears as if they are using their own proprietary additive package. However good or bad that add pack may be, its not Top Tier. Top Tier requirements are not simply based on additive/detergent levels, but on test results.
  • Where Costco buys their gas is virtually irrelevant as that supplier is not including their own add pack. Again, from the previous post it appears Costco adds their own. It is the quality of this add pack that matters - not what Costco's supplier may use in another product.
  • I don't know who supplies all of the retailers you've listed. Chasing that down is not something I'm interested in doing. Many supply agreements are regional - based on the suppliers regional refining & supply capacities. So many of the retailers will buy from Major A in Region 1, but Major B in Region 2, etc.
  • We'll never know the details of the add packs of various retailers. These are closely guarded secrets.
  • Top Tier is a higher-quality standard set by the automotive industry, not the fuel industry. It can serve as a good indication of who/what is high quality gasoline when trying to decide where to buy. Trying to determine fuel quality is very difficult for an individual to do. Top Tier certification can make this task a little simpler by relying on third-party standards.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Use Costco gas the last 6 years, every week in all my cars since Costco open a wherehouse couple blocks from my house, bad thing is they don't have diesel to fill up my Chevy dually, I use Sam's for diesel.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I'm just going to add a bottle of techron every 3k miles like mentioned.

I don't see how that wouldn't clean up any mess that Costco gas has created. That is IF, Costco gas is not Top Tier.

I'm going to fill up tomorrow and have a chat with the attendant to get some more insight...