Comparing the Nissan GT-R with the C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
That's all very true, but what's a C63-owner supposed to compare his car to? I think it's too limiting to think only M3 and RS5, although that's the target group.

When it comes down to it, most C63 owners understand that our cars are not the best canyon carvers and they're too heavy to achieve supercar-level-straight-line-performance, but our cars are kind of tweeners in that they do handle pretty well and they are unusualy quick in the straight line.

I think when you have an M156 in your car, it puts you in a unique circumstance of being able to hang with a lot of cars.
I agree completely, considering that I don't have a track specific car at this point, I am more than pleased with the AMG's ability to hang or better with many cars that it is not supposed to. And these are driven by friends who are more than decent drivers. I am really refering to the intent of each car not so much their capability.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by hhughes1
I agree completely, considering that I don't have a track specific car at this point, I am more than pleased with the AMG's ability to hang or better with many cars that it is not supposed to. And these are driven by friends who are more than decent drivers. I am really refering to the intent of each car not so much their capability.
I agree with you, the intent of each car is quite different.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Which is your favorite, exhaust-wise: C63 (stock) vs GT-R (aftermarket exhaust)?
The GT-R with Akrapovic exhaust sounds absolutely amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTZ3 I'd love a GT-R. What are the leases running now? ~1,200 a month? Too bad rear legroom is limited.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-14-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
The GT-R with Akrapovic exhaust sounds absolutely amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTZ3 I'd love a GT-R. What are the leases running now? ~1,200 a month?
I was with my son at a Nissan dealership last month while he was buying a new Nismo and the sales manager mentioned GTR's at $1300/ month without any negotiating.........not that I was looking
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2011 C63 P31 2015 BMW X5M Schwarz Einhorn w/Bootmod3
Originally Posted by kent426
As much of a benz fan as I am, black series included, there is not a single benz that comes anywhere close to matching a GTR at the track. See the latest video that top gear put out of the 2013 GTR cornering speed compared to a GT3 and F528.

We should be happy enough if the C63 has enough tire installed by the factory to easily best an M3!
That video with the new Stig behind the wheel was very impressive. Now I want one! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it placed 3rd or 4th on the leader board.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
I really don't understand the point of comparing these two particular cars?? They offer completely different driving experiences and are in two different performance categories. Visually they have nothing in common as most of the C63's out there are sedans. Both are great at what they do but they were not targeted at the same market segment.
I look at it differently. Given the sedanish feel of the GT-R and C63, I think it's natural to compare these cars, more so than comparing them with pure sports cars like the 911, Ferraris, etc. It just happens that the GT-R delivers performance on par with those latter cars, largely via intensive use of some very sophisticated hi-tech engineering. Hats off to Nissan ...

Last edited by IAA-C63; 11-14-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
I was with my son at a Nissan dealership last month while he was buying a new Nismo and the sales manager mentioned GTR's at $1300/ month without any negotiating.........not that I was looking
Of course not. That's pretty steep, people buying a car in that price range really care about the badge. As much as I adore and love the GT-R and all of it's performance capabilities, that's a on the expensive side. The GT-R was a bang for your buck back when it was 85k. It's starting to lose that year after year. I respect the GT-R, but it's just no fun. Would love to own one for the 'mash and go' effect.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-14-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I look at it differently. Given the sedanish feel of the GT-R and C63, I think it's natural to compare these cars, more so than comparing them with pure sports cars like the 911, Ferraris, etc. It just happens that the GT-R delivers performance on par with those latter cars, largely via intensive use of some very sophisticated hi-tech engineering. Hats off to Nissan ...
I have to say, I didn't experience a "sedanish feel" when I was in the GT-R. It feels small inside that car and it's very video gamey. I do think you feel the weight of the car but it's suspension and steering feel like a true sports car. It just feels all business when you're driving it, like no leisure was in mind when the engineers built it.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
I really don't understand the point of comparing these two particular cars?? They offer completely different driving experiences and are in two different performance categories. Visually they have nothing in common as most of the C63's out there are sedans. Both are great at what they do but they were not targeted at the same market segment.
+1
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 PM

I have to say, I didn't experience a "sedanish feel" when I was in the GT-R. It feels small inside that car and it's very video gamey. I do think you feel the weight of the car but it's suspension and steering feel like a true sports car. It just feels all business when you're driving it, like no leisure was in mind when the engineers built it.
For me, I think it was mainly because the seating position is somewhat high compared to a pure sports car like a 911. Sitting lower makes me feel more confident tossing a car around.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
For me, I think it was mainly because the seating position is somewhat high compared to a pure sports car like a 911. Sitting lower makes me feel more confident tossing a car around.
Ah, interesting point. I hadn't even considered that factor. But, I agree.

I sat in a beautiful 911 GT3 yesterday. It was dropped 1/2", had sport cup front brakes, and a really comfortable Sparco driver's seat. It sounded great too.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
While I would not buy a GTR as it has no "soul", you cannot ignore the numbers it puts down even with all the "traction nannies" turned on. As much as I love my C63, the GTR is more in a class with the Turbo 996-997 Porsches. I've run against them in a modified 996TT and they are a handful to beat.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez
Clearly you haven't heard a GT-R with an aftermarket exhaust.
I actually have heard couple of them quite clearly, and I drove one of them as well. BORING CAR. All I will say. Its boring for me, + I cant stnd that cheap *** nissan badge. LOL
Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Gotta love the turbo kits for the GTR
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 AM

C63
I also am considering a GTR especially a 2013, I wanted something fast and brutally fast is just that much more perfect for the weekend car. I test drove a 2011 with HKS Spec-R exhaust and I thought it sounded acceptable, nothing compared to the screaming S65 or the deep M156 but it was different. GTR has its own personality but more of a mechanical outcome which is acceleration in this case and it gains speed without too much drama, almost too "emotionless" or "lack or flare" if that makes any sense. The most similar thing I can compared it to is my finely tuned 2004 STi, the grip is always there and wheel spin is almost non-existent unless you want a powerslide out of a corner(have not done so in gtr), it is however much less powerful but the exhaust note was also different due to its unequal length header that produces an unique sound but gives it character.

Overall GTR would be something to consider just for more of a tool for speed, I'm sure it will not be something that has a huge following as say mustang, vetts or porsches but the car itself has a very dedicated purpose and only small market segment copes or wants to cope with such a machine. Oh and all this BS of wanting a GTR started after I looked through what an AMS Alpha 9 package can do and what insanely stunts their Alpha 12 package can do.

Last edited by blindfold; 11-15-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 AM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
I still think GTR is garbage. Haha I love how some of you guys are going to unleash it on me because I bash the car I do not like=D. But in the end even if the car was great in all the aspects it would still be garbage, because it is a NISSAN. WTF man when I think about it, its funny why are they even bothering to try and produce "excotics". I guess there are enough Nissan lovers for them to do it....I would say GTR is an okay car, it surprises most people at first, but in the end you are still gay owning it.

Last edited by Djovovic63; 11-15-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Djovovic63
I still think GTR is garbage. Haha I love how some of you guys are going to unleash it on me because I bash the car I do not like=D. But in the end even if the car was great in all the aspects it would still be garbage, because it is a NISSAN. WTF man when I think about it, its funny why are they even bothering to try and produce "excotics". I guess there are enough Nissan lovers for them to do it....I would say GTR is an okay car, it surprises most people at first, but in the end you are still gay owning it.
So just because its a Nissan means its garbage?
I'm sorry to break it to you but the GT-R puts most super cars to shame.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe

If owning a "badge" and the "perceived" status it brings is what you need to feel good about yourself then all the power to you. Me, I don't care who makes a car as I primarily care about how the car performs. Whether you like the GTR or not, it easily outperforms our cars in pretty much every measureable way. I have no problem someone not liking a car (I wouldn't buy a GTR either as I don't like the interior and I need more practicality) but not liking a car because it`s a Nissan is a little silly IMO. But, hey, if perceived status is what floats your boat, who am I to say that`s wrong

Last edited by gthal; 11-15-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 AM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Heck, if Hyundai made a car with 600hp and ran the 'Ring in under 7:50, I would get it. Call me gay...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 AM

I buy cars, not badges. If Kia decides to build a great car, I'll consider getting one. Likewise, if MB goes downhill, I'll never buy one again.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Interesting timing of this thread. I've been thinking about trading my C63 in for a GT-R recently...as much as a I love my C63, I'm just really drawn to the performance and AWD of the GT-R. There is really nothing else on the market like it and having driven one, I know it's a car that I would be VERY happy to own. Ideally, I'd own a C63 and a GT-R but it's just not feasible for me financially.

The main drawbacks for me about the GT-R relate to the exhaust (no comparison to the M156) and potential maintenance costs (this is why I'm trying to avoid 2009 models.)

We'll see how the market develops after the 2013s drop...I'll be keeping a close eye on the 2010/11's.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by BK63amg
Interesting timing of this thread. I've been thinking about trading my C63 in for a GT-R recently...as much as a I love my C63, I'm just really drawn to the performance and AWD of the GT-R. There is really nothing else on the market like it and having driven one, I know it's a car that I would be VERY happy to own. Ideally, I'd own a C63 and a GT-R but it's just not feasible for me financially.

The main drawbacks for me about the GT-R relate to the exhaust (no comparison to the M156) and potential maintenance costs (this is why I'm trying to avoid 2009 models.)

We'll see how the market develops after the 2013s drop...I'll be keeping a close eye on the 2010/11's.
The C63 is awesome, but the GT-R may be "awesomer" overall, depending on what one is looking for.

I'd like to have a bunch of cars too, but my biggest limitation is having a two-car garage and not wanting to put really nice cars outside. I'm seriously considering expanding the garage to three cars so that I can indulge more.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:46 PM

E63 S
Am fortunate to drive both the GTR and the C63. Both are a blast to drive. GTR is brutally fast. As for the usual "no soul" comments, get the thing sideways with the computers turned off and then report back.

No sense in debating which one is better. They are different animals, but the good thing is that they are both animals!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
The C63 is awesome, but the GT-R may be "awesomer" overall, depending on what one is looking for.

I'd like to have a bunch of cars too, but my biggest limitation is having a two-car garage and not wanting to put really nice cars outside. I'm seriously considering expanding the garage to three cars so that I can indulge more.
If that's all that's holding you back from growing your car collection, I would be in the yellow pages right now looking for a good contractor!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM

'12 CTS-V
I would say GTR is an okay car, it surprises most people at first, but in the end you are still gay owning it.
Ahhhh, Brett. The Oscars will miss u...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing the Nissan GT-R with the C63