Sponsored by:

Michelin tire warranty is bull@#$%

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s now in the garage. Sold-GLA45 AMG Edition 1, Sold-2010 Mercedes C63
UPDATE

currently on the phone with Michelin. They are shocked at what Kal Tire told me. They are working with me to find another dealer to go through. So Michelin is not the problem. They are trying to help. It was the tire store that lied to my face and gave me a bad taste for Michelin. Michelin I apologize to you. Thank you for standing behind your product.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Bravo! Well done! Keep us informed.

Michelin 1 Kal Tire ZERO!

Wayne
Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
well done

Not to hijack your thread but I had an excellent experience calling Bilstein USA corporate on a fitment problem for the G500. They made everything correct. Unfortunately they have dozens of shocks for the G series and many of their retailers do not have the correct information. Thus we were sent the wrong dampers but BilsteinUSA and shox.com expedited the solution working together. Thanks!

Thus I double check whenever I do anything major on the MB fleet. My techs say they get the wrong parts from MB, BMW, etc. 25% of the time.

I wonder if Jlo has a similar problem with her Fiat?

Last edited by grane; 11-30-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 PM

Wow. Thanks everyone for your help. You are talking to a C63 owner with a brand new pair of Michelin tires paid for by Michelins GREAT warranty. After Michelin found out how Kal Tire lied and misrepresented their brand they sent me to another dealer (Tireland) which were amazing to deal with. I was there 10 minutes. Then the guy asked for my key. He installed a new set of tires. I drove out one happy customer. Faith restored!!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
One great happy ending. Don't forget Tireland when you need your next set of tires.

Wayne
Old 10-24-2013, 01:00 PM

220SE
This is a long time later, but I just googled "Kal Tire lied to me about Michelin" and up came this thread.

I have been trying to replace the Michelin LTX tires on my Navigator here in Alberta, after 80,000 km of trouble free driving (and they still have good tread left). My local Kal tire in Barrhead has kept me waiting 5 weeks now, always about to get a call from another Kal location for the tires, then back ordered thru Michelin with a 2 week delay. Finally today haivng told me just 30 minutes before that they'd be in this afternoon I got a call that it's a 6 to 8 week delay, and the tone of voice was, "This is final, we're not getting them for you". I called the main Edmonton Kal Tire location, and a guy very confidently told me that Michelin are discontinuing the LTX, because it's an unsafe tire. Michelin have had a lot of safety issues the last two years. He'd sell me a Nedow (sp? WTF?) tire though. I hung up. Called Michelin in South Carolina..... tires not being discontinued, but there is a delay after a recall on them recently as 2500 tires were found to be defective. They have a high safety rating and high customer satisfaction and they'll be making them for quite some time to come, and I should feel free to call back if I can't find the tires anywhere and they'll help me find some (very helpful and straight guy). Called OK Tire Spruce Grove, no problem, 4 tires here this afternoon, $10 more per tire than Kal's original quote, but oh there's a $70. mail in rebate from Michelin.

This is definitely the last time I deal with Kal Tire, they are liars and incompetents.

Last edited by brockberryman; 10-24-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
didnt read thur this thread very much but, I had super sports got maybe 9-10,000 miles out of them called the place I got them from and they just sent me new ones at a pro rated rate. Only 159 for both tires ! so I think their warranty is great considering they were over 500 new. I didnt even have to send the tires in.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
is that the center of the tire?
dumb question but were the tires mounted in the proper direction/side?
looks like too high a pressure and they were riding on the center?

Originally Posted by LFM_Vancouver
photo after 2000 kms
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I recently had a Michelin tire I purchased from Tirerack that could not be balanced. I called Tirerack's customer service and was told I needed to ship the tire back to them and if they deem it was defective, they'd issue me a refund. It would entirely be up to their discretion. I then called Michelin and they said to go to the closest authorized Michelin dealer near me, Sears, and have them evaluate it. If theyfound it was out of round or if they couldn't balance it to eliminate the vibration, the tire would be replaced for free. They evaluated it, called Michelin with the findings, and then replaced it free of charge.

That's how it is supposed to work.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 10-24-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
offtopic but stay away from the a/s plus tires. they are cheap for a reason. They wear bad, noisey and cause really bad tire pulls. the ps2, super sport, mxv4 primacy, latitude tour hp are all great but the a/s should be avoided.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
offtopic but stay away from the a/s plus tires. they are cheap for a reason. They wear bad, noisey and cause really bad tire pulls. the ps2, super sport, mxv4 primacy, latitude tour hp are all great but the a/s should be avoided.
While this advice may have been true in the past, not so anymore. The Michelin PS A/S 3 tire that was released in July is the closest to the holy grail of tires of any tire ever. Performance of a good summer tire with the wear characteristics of the best all-season tire (50,000 mile treadwear warranty). Have had them on the S6 for one month and they are excellent in wet and dry.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
The Michelin PS A/S 3 tire that was released in July is the closest to the holy grail of tires of any tire ever.
In Florida? PSS or RE-11As are my personal choice for mild climes.

They don't melt so soon. :D
Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
While this advice may have been true in the past, not so anymore. The Michelin PS A/S 3 tire that was released in July is the closest to the holy grail of tires of any tire ever. Performance of a good summer tire with the wear characteristics of the best all-season tire (50,000 mile treadwear warranty). Have had them on the S6 for one month and they are excellent in wet and dry.
I concur, the AS3's are rather awesome. The funky part is on the CLS, I have AS3's on the rear, and AS Plus on the fronts right now.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Buy from Tire Rack next time........
Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
is that the center of the tire?
dumb question but were the tires mounted in the proper direction/side?
looks like too high a pressure and they were riding on the center?
The tires were mounted properly with correct tire pressure. This was after a 20 minutes of aggressive driving with some sharp corners. Nothing crazy. What you can't tell from the photo is that the tread wore out at an angle. The leading edge of the tread was fine and the back half was worn out. Very weird. They tried to say our cars are too heavy for these tires. Next set of the exact same tire was fine, no problems. Just got a defective set. With how many tires they make it's bound to happen.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Originally Posted by AMGangster
Buy from Tire Rack next time........
I bought mine from Tirerack. When it comes to warranty, Michelin was much better to deal with than Tirerack was.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I bought mine from Tirerack. When it comes to warranty, Michelin was much better to deal with than Tirerack was.
nice avatar!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E90 M3, F80 M3, C63 507, F90 M5
Originally Posted by LFM_Vancouver
photo after 2000 kms
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
your s6 is awd. awd cars dont typically have pulling problems because the drivetrain compensates -audi doesnt even provide camber or caster adjustments to compensate because of this. If its real awd this is the case (like your quatro, 4matic not so much). Most awd's dont work like you'd think , how they should, or how they are explained to. Most cars advertised as awd send all the power to the front - youtube awd roller tests and see. the bottom line is avoid directional tires if you can, they can cause pulling problems. This isnt always the case but in my experiences it is.