C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Performance Option/multi Spoke 19" wheels.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question Performance Option/multi Spoke 19" wheels.

We've ordered the "performance option", which in Australia includes 19" multi-spoke wheels.
I always like to keep my inner rims & brake calipers clean, which, looking at these wheels, may be a problem!
Does anyone else have these wheels, & if so, how do you keep your inner rims & calipers clean.
I had a similar issue with a car I've just sold, an RS Focus, which had similar wheels, & I bought a sensational "wheel brush"...a "Daytona" wheel brush.....so, I'm hoping it will do the job.....I think it'll do the inner rims....not sure about the red calipers though...the RS only had standard brakes with cast calipers, so didn't have to worry about them.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Spray them at the car wash and they are clean...

The rims don't hold dirt, they have some sort of coating on them, dirt just sprays right off along with the calipers.. Not a lot of brake dust off these pads compared to say BMW..

Never had a problem with this.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
When you get the car take the wheels off and apply this http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/pr...im_sealant_kit it will help stop any road grime sticking to rims and makes cleaning wheels a lot easier. I also applied a couple of coats of this as well http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?pa...emart&Itemid=1
Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by AMG-010
When you get the car take the wheels off and apply this http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/pr...im_sealant_kit it will help stop any road grime sticking to rims and makes cleaning wheels a lot easier.
+1 for the Nanolex Alloy Rim Sealant Kit.

I use it on all my cars and it makes the rims much easier to clean. I don’t know how I lived without it.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by Pickles
We've ordered the "performance option", which in Australia includes 19" multi-spoke wheels.
I always like to keep my inner rims & brake calipers clean, which, looking at these wheels, may be a problem!
Does anyone else have these wheels, & if so, how do you keep your inner rims & calipers clean.
I had a similar issue with a car I've just sold, an RS Focus, which had similar wheels, & I bought a sensational "wheel brush"...a "Daytona" wheel brush.....so, I'm hoping it will do the job.....I think it'll do the inner rims....not sure about the red calipers though...the RS only had standard brakes with cast calipers, so didn't have to worry about them.
Cheers, Pickles.
Did you get the blackened 19s as part of the PP option, or are they the polished chrome version?
If the former you are in luck re keeping em clean I would have thought!!
To answer your question though I have found the easiest way to keep (stock 18s) clean is not to let them get too dirty in the first place. If you are driving the car regularly this might mean washing them every week or so. Definitely harder to shift ie not able to simply hose off if you let the brake dust/road debris/dirt build up.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Question

Originally Posted by JimmyR
Did you get the blackened 19s as part of the PP option, or are they the polished chrome version?
If the former you are in luck re keeping em clean I would have thought!!
To answer your question though I have found the easiest way to keep (stock 18s) clean is not to let them get too dirty in the first place. If you are driving the car regularly this might mean washing them every week or so. Definitely harder to shift ie not able to simply hose off if you let the brake dust/road debris/dirt build up.
These wheels came with the Performance Pack.
With the 2010 cars, either wheel finish was an option, but with the "updated" 2011 cars, only the polished alloy surfaced wheel comes standard....the charcoal surfaced ones are now at extra cost...around $1500 extra....there's no way I was going to pay that just for a different wheel finish!
So the polished alloy version are the one's that will be on the car....At this stage, I'm not particularly impressed with them.......but they are the "standard" wheel with the P/P, & I'm an "originality" freak.....so they're the ones that are on the car.
I've even thought (sinse ordering!) that maybe I should've specified the standard 18" twin spokes....in which case, cleaning the calipers would've been a breeze, & also that 18" wheels & tyres would've been more practical & less "vulnerable" than "19s", because the car will be an "everydayer".
We shall see?!!
Regards, Pickles.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
I think you will be fine. The polished 19s look great and are relatively uncommon on the C63s.
Keep the car in neutral on a flat surface and you can roll it forward/backward slightly just by turning the wheel you are cleaning, exposing the caliper as you go.
Not sure about the tyres for the 19s being more "vulnerable" as long as you are careful with potholes and don't go round smacking kerbs. Having come from an M3 with 19s the real killer is the cost of tyres for 19 inch rims, which out here for some reason seem to be priced significantly higher than the equivalent 18 inch tyre. www.tirerack.com will be your friend particularly if you churn through your rears every 5000km or so
Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW R36 (for now)
Originally Posted by JimmyR
I think you will be fine. The polished 19s look great and are relatively uncommon on the C63s.
Keep the car in neutral on a flat surface and you can roll it forward/backward slightly just by turning the wheel you are cleaning, exposing the caliper as you go.
Not sure about the tyres for the 19s being more "vulnerable" as long as you are careful with potholes and don't go round smacking kerbs. Having come from an M3 with 19s the real killer is the cost of tyres for 19 inch rims, which out here for some reason seem to be priced significantly higher than the equivalent 18 inch tyre. www.tirerack.com will be your friend particularly if you churn through your rears every 5000km or so
+1 for tirerack especially if you have the tyres shipped in two batches for the magic under $1k mark. I purchased some 19" Michelin pilot super sports which locally were $500+ each, from tirerack they were around $280 a corner when shipping is taken into account, we get smashed on everything cost wise
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Question

Thanks for your "confidence" guys.....I really do like to keep my brake calipers clean, particularly when they are "distinctive", like the ones on the C63.
I have a Daytona wheel brush for the inner rims.
Cheers, Pickles.