Question about turning/horsepower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Question about turning/horsepower

Hello again folks,

I am just curious to know one thing, if a C63 is tuned to produce more horsepower, that technically means, you're telling the engine to work say extra 20% to 30%...

Wouldn't that make the engine less deplete faster than an engine that's consuming only it's standard?

Or, since this is the same engine that's used on most AMGs but with different tune, we know it'll not harm the engine long term?

Please explain that part for me. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
AMG engines HP are detuned and limited from the factory. It's really much more capable than its advertised HP. It's a marketing thing. So when you ask a 3rd party "tuner" to tune the c63. They are unleashing your engines true potential. But there has to be balance between engine and chassis. At its current state the c63's stock HP is already over powering the car. If I decide to tune the c63 I would improve 1) tires 2) add LSD then 3) the suspension and chassis regidity.

Last edited by izzyAMG; 12-29-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
AMG engines HP are detuned and limited from the factory. It's really much more capable than its advertised HP. It's a marketing thing. So when you ask a 3rd party "tuner" to tune the c63. They are unleashing your engines true potential. But there has to be balance between engine and chassis. At its current state the c63's stock HP is already over powering the car. If I decide to tune the c63 I would improve 1) tires 2) add LSD then 3) the suspension and chassis regidity.

+1
Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 AM

C63
Thanks

1. what is LSD?

2. how can you improve a chassis's rigidity?

oh and izzyAMG, your car looks stunning, congrats bro!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the compliment but you really dont know what an LSD is? aka limited slip differential. Tuners use different type of braces attached to different points of the cars chassis to lessen flex and body roll. It makes the car more planted to the ground thus create more grip. I honestly dont mind giving you more info but these are things you can learn on the net with a little bit of research. I'm going back to sleep now.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM

C63
Thanks for the compliment but you really dont know what an LSD is? aka limited slip differential. Tuners use different type of braces attached to different points of the cars chassis to lessen flex and body roll. It makes the car more planted to the ground thus create more grip. I honestly dont mind giving you more info but these are things you can learn on the net with a little bit of research. I'm going back to sleep now.
sorry, never figured lsd was limited slip differential but i do know what that means thank you for explaining tho
Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
izzyAMG, you hit the nail on the head. Everyone wants more HP out of there C63, that's all you ever hear on these forums. But they don't take into account the chassis and tires have a significant role in the handling of more HP. You can't have one without the other, that is why the M3 out performs the C63 on the track. The beast under the bonnet overwhelms the chassis, and it rolls over it tires in the corners.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM

C63
thanks for clearing things up for me guys.

i feel so ignorant.

i tried looking on youtube, but does anyone know of a video that can show exactly how turning works? like what needs to be modified. i learn better when i see things as opposed to reading about them
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
+2
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM

C63
follow up question:

if the engine is detuned, that means, technically, tuning back the engine should not lead to a faster deprecation of it since it is expected to function for x amount of years under the 540horsepower tune for example?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Well... I understand your "technical" reasoning. but I think that can be said more as a theory. Yes the engine is dituned and is more capable of HP than what it had from factory. Which in theory is expected to last a good amount of years or else tuners will not do it if they think all engines they tune will start smoking the next day. But engine reliability cannot be determined by HP alone. For example how you maintain and use your car. You have to take note that AMG is very conservative. They give us a lot of margin for error because they know we are not all car engineers. When you add the performance package for example, they also replace engine components. Whatever reason they do that, Marketing, to help increase HP and reliability, etc. Or all of the above. So in short... your expected life of an engine is base on many factors not just it's HP capability.

Last edited by izzyAMG; 01-12-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by someuser
follow up question:

if the engine is detuned, that means, technically, tuning back the engine should not lead to a faster deprecation of it since it is expected to function for x amount of years under the 540horsepower tune for example?
For all intents and purposes, you are right. The detuning is a software control programmed into the ECU that limits valve opening at WOT. The tuning will allow the valves to open more fully at WOT, bringing your engine power comparable to all the other NA 6.3L engines. So, to answer your question, if a tune is done safely, and within AMG parameters, they will be pretty much identical to the normally tuned NA 6.3's. Some tuners affect other changes that push the envelope of AMG design specs. That doesn't mean the engine can't take it, it is just beyond the original design spec. These tunes may or may not have an impact on "engine longevity". Keep in mind that the other cars with the NA 6.3 have header and exhaust differences that also contribute to increased HP.
These are terrific engines and they have terrific tolerances!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
LSD Lysergic acid diethylamide if you were around in the sixties, but if you remember what it was that means you really weren't there.