C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wherer to buy Mobil 1 Formula M in Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by 220S
I seriously doubt that the "AMG PL staff" ever told you that ESP is recommended for the M156. They are recommending the Formula M 5W 40, not the ESP Formula 5W 40. Ask your service manager at your dealership and they will tell you the same thing. They have the most recent bulletins from MBUSA. They are using Formula M 5W 40 and ESP 5W 40 (for the diesels) in the overheads.

ESP is "emissions system protection" oil. It has reduced zinc and phosphorus so that there's less potential to kill the cats. Zinc and phosphorus can destroy catalytic convertors but at the same time they make up the ZDDP additive that promotes the thin coating of metal to metal parts. ZDDP is an anti-wear additive. ESP also has a reduced ash content specifically for diesel motors.

It may be fine to use ESP in gasoline motors with roller tappets but not in the M156 with the flat tappets. You need all the help you can get (especially in cold starts after the car has been sitting for a few days since the oil can bleed from the lifters and the cam lobes.) That's partly why the phosphorus content is particularly important. The Formula M 5W 40 is what you should be using. But it is exclusive to Mercedes dealerships and isn't a general retail product. You're much better off using the 0W 40 (with its high ppm of phosphorus and zinc) than using the ESP if you can't get the Formula M.

Just because ESP is a 229.51 oil doesn't necessarily mean the M156 is included. If you read BEVO you'll see that there are always specific exceptions to the 229.5 and 229.51 specifications.

Clearly, ESP won't necessarily kill your motor especially if you do OCIs more often then the 10k schedules. But it definitely has reduced phosphorus (and zinc) and is really not a good idea to use in a flat tappet designed motor. And if you're using ESP as an add oil when needed, it's no big deal (although you should use the 0W 40 instead.) But why would you use it as your primary fill oil?

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 - Emission System Protection

Low Ash Content. Helps to reduce particulate build up in Diesel Particulate Filters. Low Sulphur and Phosphorous content. Helps to reduce poisoning of Gasoline Catalytic Converters. Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters.
Thanks, I ll take that into consideration. AMG reccomend we use the M156 with Mobil 1 that has 229.5 and 229.51 approved. Again in BEVO, it falls under 229.51(actual listed). The non ESP falls into the 229.5, then MB should just exclude the ESP under 229.51 then. You see my logic here. I dont want to argue but you are right in it isnt going to blow anyone engine up or failed under high load.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
Thanks, I ll take that into consideration. AMG reccomend we use the M156 with Mobil 1 that has 229.5 and 229.51 approved. Again in BEVO, it falls under 229.51(actual listed). The non ESP falls into the 229.5, then MB should just exclude the ESP under 229.51 then. You see my logic here. I dont want to argue but you are right in it isnt going to blow anyone engine up or failed under high load.
Your logic is perfectly fine, but the way they list the 229 specs makes it sort of confusing. The M156 does fall under 229.5 and 229.51. But so do other motors. And the ESP is included in the 229.51 spec but it's designed as a low phosphorus 'emission system protection' oil and primarily for diesel motors. The tech at Mobil immediately mentioned the Formula M (non-ESP) as the current 229.5 spec oil for the M156. He also knew that it was a non-retail oil for the dealers to use and distribute. He didn't hesitate at all and apparently knew this stuff already. If you look at ExxonMobil's global product website it has both the ESP and non-ESP and they have different properties. The Formula M (non ESP) was the oil that AMG Information posted on the PL about a year ago.

And yeah, neither oil is going to necessarily damage the motor. That's not so much the issue. It was really more about finding this specific Formula M (non ESP) that they recommended. PitPony found the bottles at his dealership and it's the correct oil. It's a dealer distributed oil (which is what the tech at Mobil also confirmed.) Most dealers are now using both ESP and Formula M (non-ESP) for the corresponding different motors, based on the recent info they currently have from MBUSA.

I don't even own my M156 car anymore but I find it interesting. Especially since AMG uses a flat tappet design which historically has needed lots of ZDDP (do a Google search for 'flat tappet' and 'ZDDP.') And since there is now a law suit for premature wear of the cam lobes, then it should be somewhat of a concern to have the proper and best lubrication you can use in these motors.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bhamg
The VOA by Blackstone that I saw for the ESP was 1054 phosphorus, 1259 zinc. There is another one I saw with similar but lower numbers. FWIW. Also, there have been some spectacularly good UOA's on this oil with gas engines (but not ours). I'll be the guinea pig...

The additive pack (if it's at this level) + better base stock + 5w weight = winner in my book.
I've never had Blackstone do a VOA for me from my own virgin oil. I've based my UOAs on the TBNs that they have already tested with different oils. Then I just base my UOA numbers compared to that. I use both Blackstone and Wear Check. I've also used LN Engineering. Since I use 0W-40 in my P-car, I'm going to go ahead and pour some out of a bottle from a case I have and get them to do a VOA with it. Then I'll do the same with some Formula M ESP and send in both. If I can get a sample of the Formula M (non ESP) from the Mercedes dealership, I'll send that in, too.

It's odd that the ESP would have that high of a phosphorus ppm since it's design to protect the cats. My UOAs have been excellent with the OW-40 and always with good zinc and phosphorous numbers. But that's compared to the published TBNs from Mobil and not a random sample from my own stock of oil. So, it'll be interesting to see what Blackstone or Wear Check get for ppm numbers from my own personal virgin oil samples.

One thing I'd be always alert about with the M156 motor (in light of the concern over premature cam lobe wear) is the amount of Fe in the UOAs. If it's high (and increases over time) it would definitely start to be concerning.

All of this oil formulation is driven a lot by EPA regs and things sometimes just don't add up. Even the API gets confusing with their somewhat convoluted categorizing of base stocks, etc..

btw, do you know exactly how the base stock between Formula M (non ESP) and Formula M ESP differ? Are there any API publications that discuss this? I know the OW-40 is a full PAO and cat IV syn oil. And I'm certain the Formula M (non ESP) is also. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I've never had Blackstone do a VOA for me from my own virgin oil. I've based my UOAs on the TBNs that they have already tested with different oils. Then I just base my UOA numbers compared to that. I use both Blackstone and Wear Check. I've also used LN Engineering. Since I use 0W-40 in my P-car, I'm going to go ahead and pour some out of a bottle from a case I have and get them to do a VOA with it. Then I'll do the same with some Formula M ESP and send in both. If I can get a sample of the Formula M (non ESP) from the Mercedes dealership, I'll send that in, too.
Sounds great. I'll extract a sample of ESP and send it to Blackstone for a 6k UOA also.
It's odd that the ESP would have that high of a phosphorus ppm since it's design to protect the cats. My UOAs have been excellent with the OW-40 and always with good zinc and phosphorous numbers. But that's compared to the published TBNs from Mobil and not a random sample from my own stock of oil. So, it'll be interesting to see what Blackstone or Wear Check get for ppm numbers from my own personal virgin oil samples.
I agree totally. I was both shocked and pleased to see those numbers. Maybe this sample is an aberration but I suspect we'll find out soon enough. Is TBN a calcium issue? IIRC ESP is low in calcium, comparatively speaking.
One thing I'd be always alert about with the M156 motor (in light of the concern over premature cam lobe wear) is the amount of Fe in the UOAs. If it's high (and increases over time) it would definitely start to be concerning.
One strength of ESP that I've seen in some UOA's is very low Fe. M1 0w-40 was criticized for years as yielding high Fe numbers but I think that concern has been alleviated, if not debunked entirely, over time.
btw, do you know exactly how the base stock between Formula M (non ESP) and Formula M ESP differ? Are there any API publications that discuss this? I know the OW-40 is a full PAO and cat IV syn oil. And I'm certain the Formula M (non ESP) is also. Thanks!
That's what has been speculated about by some who know a lot more than the casual observer such as myself. Isn't a analysis that identifies the base stock components quite expensive? I'm thinking $250-400 expensive? Short of that no one can say with certainty. Although Mobil 1 is well known for their PAO formulations they have always stated they use esters also.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One strength of ESP that I've seen in some UOA's is very low Fe. M1 0w-40 was criticized for years as yielding high Fe numbers but I think that concern has been alleviated, if not debunked entirely, over time.
What was concerning is the Fe that's in the used oil reflecting on the wear of the M156. Cams are iron and high Fe in your UOA can mean you're getting excessive wear. So you probably should keep an eye on the Fe content despite which oil you use, especially in light of this lawsuit. You can also send in your used filter and have them do an additional analysis off of it. Normally you'd be just concerned that there's wear developing from the oil's condition itself, but with this motor and the speculation of the faster wearing cam lobes it's probably a good idea to monitor it all a lot more carefully.

That's what has been speculated about by some who know a lot more than the casual observer such as myself. Isn't a analysis that identifies the base stock components quite expensive? I'm thinking $250-400 expensive? Short of that no one can say with certainty. Although Mobil 1 is well known for their PAO formulations they have always stated they use esters also.
The API is the organization responsible for categorizing syn oils. e.g., a group IV has to meet certain criteria of PAO and ester. So the base formulas will be tested and that info is sometimes published. Although Mobil and others always use the proprietary game and want to keep the specifics secret.

p.s., when I said in my previous post "But that's compared to the published TBNs from Mobil" I meant to say 'ppms' not 'TBNs.' Duh. It's getting late......

Last edited by 220S; 03-02-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
Good news

Cases of 6x1L of 599602 Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 is in stock for $44.06 + tax, that's 30% cheaper than buying from the dealer and is available over the counter no problem.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Pit-Pony
Good news

Cases of 6x1L of 599602 Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 is in stock for $44.06 + tax, that's 30% cheaper than buying from the dealer and is available over the counter no problem.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to call the place in Georgetown back since I was quoted $56.64/Case.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Here is some data from an UOA I had done on the factory fill (Mobil 1 0W40 ? guessing). The oil had 6500 Km (4062.5m) with 1.5L added.

Iron 50
Copper 30
Tin 0
Lead 2
Chrom 2
Nickel 0
Alum 28
Titan 0
Silver 0
Calc 1136
Magn 106
Zinc 826
Phos 683
Bariu 0
Molyb 71
Antim 0
Silicon 24
Sodiu 14
Boron 127
Potas 0
Vanad 0
V40C 64.1
V100C 11.1
TAN 2.85
Flash 290
Oxid 32
NIT 10
KF 901
TBN 2.6
Fuel 1.55

Notes:
The oil sheared to a 0W30.
"Wear-In" levels are high.
M1 0W40 is OK allowing more wear than needed.
Tan outran TBN so it is good I changed the oil at this mileage.
On advice received I switched to RLI 5W40 (Renewable Lubricants Inc). It is not MB approved so I am going to Total as mentioned above for the next interval. I will have a UOA on the RLI when I change it and see how it does. Probably go back to RLI once the warranty is up.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM

So, how do you interpret that data?

In particular, please explain does this statement

"Tan outran TBN so it is good I changed the oil at this mileage."
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good news

That's good news (for Canadians.) It looks like it's not going to be a retail product in the US though. As I mentioned before it may have to do with the difference of the dealership network here, etc..

Originally Posted by Mort
Here is some data from an UOA I had done on the factory fill (Mobil 1 0W40 ? guessing). The oil had 6500 Km (4062.5m) with 1.5L added.

Iron 50
Copper 30
Tin 0
Lead 2
Chrom 2
Nickel 0
Alum 28
Titan 0
Silver 0
Calc 1136
Magn 106
Zinc 826
Phos 683
Bariu 0
Molyb 71
Antim 0
Silicon 24
Sodiu 14
Boron 127
Potas 0
Vanad 0
V40C 64.1
V100C 11.1
TAN 2.85
Flash 290
Oxid 32
NIT 10
KF 901
TBN 2.6
Fuel 1.55

Notes:
The oil sheared to a 0W30.
"Wear-In" levels are high.
M1 0W40 is OK allowing more wear than needed.
Tan outran TBN so it is good I changed the oil at this mileage.
On advice received I switched to RLI 5W40 (Renewable Lubricants Inc). It is not MB approved so I am going to Total as mentioned above for the next interval. I will have a UOA on the RLI when I change it and see how it does. Probably go back to RLI once the warranty is up.
Interesting. Your wear numbers seem really high. And your phosphorous and zinc counts are much lower than I've ever had recorded. Plus your V100C is at 11.1 Did you have any indication of some fuel or water in your oil? What kind of driving do you do and in what conditions?

When I had my car I changed the factory fill very early and the wear levels were good (but the oil had very little time on it.) The next change with the same mileage as you just mentioned also had excellent wear in light of the low time on the motor, and my V40C was 71.2 and the V100C was 12.72 (both right where they should be.) Iron was at 13. Aluminum was at 3, and the same with copper. Zinc was 1160 and phosphorus at 976. It was also Mobil 1 0W 40. Each consecutive UOA after those still had similar numbers and the iron went down to 9. Aluminum has always been low at 3-5, along with copper.

btw, I personally think changing the factory fill much early on (1k to 1.5k miles) is a really good idea. Some people agree and some don't. But it's always served me well.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It sounds like he meant that the TAN showed higher levels of acidity and oxidation in respect to the TBN being low. Since his TBNs had dropped so much, the effects of the alkaline additives against acidity were no longer happening in the oil. He had lost his alkalinity.

btw, his numbers are very poor with 0W 40 compared to my own experience. That's why I asked about his driving habits and environment.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Mort's sample (thx for posting) is also strange in the respect that at 4k miles and particularly with 1.5L makeup oil added, I would have expected a TBN of above 6. That is very poor performance for this fill, alarming really.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mort's sample (thx for posting) is also strange in the respect that at 4k miles and particularly with 1.5L makeup oil added, I would have expected a TBN of above 6. That is very poor performance for this fill, alarming really.
It appears to potentially be more of a motor issue than an oil issue, imho. Maybe the oil is getting contaminated. I haven't yet seen that sort of poor performance with the M156 and Mobil 1.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Also, IIRC M1 0w-40 historically shears down to a 30w and then trends back upwards toward 40w as mileage accumulates. I say "historically" because it seems the formulation periodically changes but that behavior has been well chronicled. In any case, I fall in the camp that favors a 5w-40 particularly in the hotter Southwest...I frequently see summer temps off the pavement of 117-127F.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
It appears to potentially be more of a motor issue than an oil issue, imho. Maybe the oil is getting contaminated. I haven't yet seen that sort of poor performance with the M156 and Mobil 1.
Perhaps Mort can chime in but fuel dilution is a little high too, suggesting a lot of short haul driving...that would partially account for a low TBN but not entirely, IMO. That is such a low number it's bordering on bizarre.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)

As 220S mentioned the TAN (Total Acid Number) is greater than the TBN (Total Base Number) and therefore the TBN components (alkalies) are no longer able to neutralize the acid in the oil and the acid will wear/etch internal engine components such as aluminum parts and not sure what else. Either way that is not good and this oil is not even at half of a full drain interval. That means the acid will have an extended duration of time to cause internal engine wear if run for a full scheduled interval.

That's good news (for Canadians.) It looks like it's not going to be a retail product in the US though. As I mentioned before it may have to do with the difference of the dealership network here, etc..

Interesting. Your wear numbers seem really high. And your phosphorous and zinc counts are much lower than I've ever had recorded. Plus your V100C is at 11.1 Did you have any indication of some fuel or water in your oil? What kind of driving do you do and in what conditions?

When I had my car I changed the factory fill very early and the wear levels were good (but the oil had very little time on it.) The next change with the same mileage as you just mentioned also had excellent wear in light of the low time on the motor, and my V40C was 71.2 and the V100C was 12.72 (both right where they should be.) Iron was at 13. Aluminum was at 3, and the same with copper. Zinc was 1160 and phosphorus at 976. It was also Mobil 1 0W 40. Each consecutive UOA after those still had similar numbers and the iron went down to 9. Aluminum has always been low at 3-5, along with copper.

btw, I personally think changing the factory fill much early on (1k to 1.5k miles) is a really good idea. Some people agree and some don't. But it's always served me well.
I drive pretty normally I think. I drove the car from May to Nov so no extreme weather conditions and the car is always stored in a heated basement garage and spent only one day a week parked outside. I ran it to high speeds a few times and once to the limiter. I also did a dozen or so burn outs to red line in S1 but it would not spin through the 1-2 shift. Other than that I drove it in C most of the time at relatively low rpm but never lugging. When it dropped to 1500 rpm I would down shift and bring the revs up to 2000-3000. I did one road trip to Mount Tremblant of about 2500km of highway miles. I drive very few city miles and mostly rural/highway miles. I live in New Brunswick close to the Bay Of Fundy and our ambient temps are never too high in the summer.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Let me understand this.. You guys are driving a 80k car that eats tires and gas for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you're concerned about saving a couple hundred bucks on oil changes over the course of 2-3 years...

Hmmmmmm lol.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mort
As 220S mentioned the TAN (Total Acid Number) is greater than the TBN (Total Base Number) and therefore the TBN components (alkalies) are no longer able to neutralize the acid in the oil and the acid will wear/etch internal engine components such as aluminum parts and not sure what else. Either way that is not good and this oil is not even at half of a full drain interval. That means the acid will have an extended duration of time to cause internal engine wear if run for a full scheduled interval.

I drive pretty normally I think. I drove the car from May to Nov so no extreme weather conditions and the car is always stored in a heated basement garage and spent only one day a week parked outside. I ran it to high speeds a few times and once to the limiter. I also did a dozen or so burn outs to red line in S1 but it would not spin through the 1-2 shift. Other than that I drove it in C most of the time at relatively low rpm but never lugging. When it dropped to 1500 rpm I would down shift and bring the revs up to 2000-3000. I did one road trip to Mount Tremblant of about 2500km of highway miles. I drive very few city miles and mostly rural/highway miles. I live in New Brunswick close to the Bay Of Fundy and our ambient temps are never too high in the summer.
Did you change the fill right after storage? (fwiw, when I've stored my P-cars, I've drained and changed the oil before and after storage. I'm concerned with moisture, etc., despite the storage conditions. Although 6 months isn't really that long. But oil can deteriorate just sitting.)

Part of the logic to changing out the factory fill early is because the majority of wear will happen during the first 1-3k miles. All those wear metals can potentially affect the oil chemistry. Plus you don't want a lot of metal particles floating around in your oil. Changing oil early on is kind of like 'flushing' the motor. After that you can do your normal OCI and just monitor the motor with your usual UOAs.

I realize you already filled the crankcase with different oil, but it would have been interesting to refill with the 0W 40 and then do a sample UOA at about 2-3k. And then again at 5k. Pulling samples between changes would give you a good perspective on how the 0W 40 is actually doing, and if you are getting any dilution and contamination.

Those Fe numbers are pretty high. Personally I'd keep an eye out only because of the M156 flat tappet design and the current concerns about cam lobe wear.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Just phone Mobil USA: 1.800.MOBIL25 (662.4525) and ask who the motor oil distributor is in your area. That would be the wholesaler and you can try contacting them and ask for product # 599602

As to the comment by Merc63. It's more than a couple of hundred dollars. Every time you ask the dealer to do an oil change it can mount to over $300. Doing intermediate oil changes (I like to do one or two, depending if I do any track time (like when I owned my Vette), in between the dealer performed scheduled maintenance cycles to keep the warantee in place). So , I could be saving more than $600 per year. Helps to pay for all those extra tires. I hate being ripped off when they almost double the price on us.

Last edited by Pit-Pony; 03-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Oh I didn't mean getting the dealer to do them. I do my own.. F the dealer and their million dollar oil changes.. I don't need to pay them $140/hr to change oil.. You are right there.

By doing your own and saving a few bucks a litre, it isn't much in savings even changing at 5k km over 50k km, few hundred bucks.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM

I'll take the few hundred. Every little bit of after tax dollars help.