C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Coolant leak

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
What if your car just requires a little topping off and nothing more?
It will be my loss then lol

Last edited by Guilty; 09-26-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Is there any way to tell from the production date what engines are at risk for this?

I recently picked up a 2009 C63 with a few more miles on it than I would have liked (47K), but it's CPO with the additional 3 year warranty. I don't regularly drive it hard, so it sounds like I may not even know if my car has the problem (even if it does).

My production date is 08/2008.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Does it matter how hard we drive the car?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OCJeff
Is there any way to tell from the production date what engines are at risk for this?

I recently picked up a 2009 C63 with a few more miles on it than I would have liked (47K), but it's CPO with the additional 3 year warranty. I don't regularly drive it hard, so it sounds like I may not even know if my car has the problem (even if it does).

My production date is 08/2008.
Check the Head Sealant sticky on top. If you are 2008, you are affected. Since you are CPO with three more years, you do have some peace of mind.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM

C63
Dont be worried about head bolt issue. If you have done all services in authorized dealership and on time, they will do the work at their expense, regardless the warranty or not.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM

C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
MB Repair

Originally Posted by tintelben
Dont be worried about head bolt issue. If you have done all services in authorized dealership and on time, they will do the work at their expense, regardless the warranty or not.
Tintelben, how do you know this? Here in Australia my car is just out of warranty, has had a bad failure with water coming up through the head bolts on both sides and they asked me to contribute to the repair. With the failure I had they are looking at new pistons, rings and all new bearings. The dealer manager mentioned a 30-35K repair bill approx. They asked me how much I would like to contribute. I have been waiting 3 weeks (at least) for MB to answer if they will contribute. Every Service done on the dot at MB centre and service 2 weeks before the failure by them, 50K KM's and about 5 months out of warranty.
Any information you have may help me in my case. Thanks. Bruce
Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
morganb - It sounds like you might be best served by having a lawyer contact MB Australia on your behalf. I get the feeling you aren't all that confident about the process and how best to present your case. I think you have a good case for majority participation from MB, perhaps even 100%. Ask the lawyer of your choice to read through the sticky and the other threads contained therein and to give you an opinion...I'd guess he/she would go for 100% My .02.

BTW I was in a weaker position than you dealing with an engine replacement in my M5, and ended up negotiating a one-third financial participation on my part with two-thirds being assumed by the factory and the store. With months of loaners it ended up being a wash so I guess I made out OK. But I knew where I was going with what I was saying...

Last edited by bhamg; 07-25-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 AM

C63
just refer to service bulletin related the head bolt issue. You should represent the case so that the factory is responsible for this issue. Local service center has to make service/repair inquiry to factory.

Originally Posted by morganb
Tintelben, how do you know this? Here in Australia my car is just out of warranty, has had a bad failure with water coming up through the head bolts on both sides and they asked me to contribute to the repair. With the failure I had they are looking at new pistons, rings and all new bearings. The dealer manager mentioned a 30-35K repair bill approx. They asked me how much I would like to contribute. I have been waiting 3 weeks (at least) for MB to answer if they will contribute. Every Service done on the dot at MB centre and service 2 weeks before the failure by them, 50K KM's and about 5 months out of warranty.
Any information you have may help me in my case. Thanks. Bruce
Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 AM

C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
Originally Posted by bhamg
morganb - It sounds like you might be best served by having a lawyer contact MB Australia on your behalf. I get the feeling you aren't all that confident about the process and how best to present your case. I think you have a good case for majority participation from MB, perhaps even 100%. Ask the lawyer of your choice to read through the sticky and the other threads contained therein and to give you an opinion...I'd guess he/she would go for 100% My .02.

BTW I was in a weaker position than you dealing with an engine replacement in my M5, and ended up negotiating a one-third financial participation on my part with two-thirds being assumed by the factory and the store. With months of loaners it ended up being a wash so I guess I made out OK. But I knew where I was going with what I was saying...
BHAMG, thanks for the proposal. I was thinking I should wait for a MB first offer before lawyering up. I see two approaches possible if MB do not give a reasonable response, one by law as you propose and the other by public pressure (via newspaper auto editors and other news programs). Possibly a combination of 2. Maybe I am too nice and patient but I thought I would give MB a chance before doing anything like that. My Dad was a Mitsubishi dealer for many years and said they would have paid for this type of repair.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
You know Bruce, there are a number of members here who would say "You're out of warranty, suck it up and pay." There are many others such as myself who would be very vocal in support and some who would take the opportunity to ream MB a new one until they man up and do the right thing. That last category just might include me. The internet is the great equalizer...
Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 AM

2012 C63
If there was ever a case of MB Aus covering the cost of an out of warranty repair then I think yours should be it. It seems that you have done all that you could have done with respect to regular recommended maintenance, and from your descriptions it sounds like the failure is as described in the TSB. It looks like your a committed MB owner from your list of vehicles. I think MB Australia should step up to the plate and fully cover the cost of your repairs.

Unfortunately, we don't have the option of a factory extended warranty in Australia. I imagine that once word gets out that these engines are a potentially ticking (financial) timebomb which won't be covered by MB (despite their being a recognised design fault) then irreparable harm will be done to the AMG brand let alone pricing of these cars in the used car market.

I for one would certainly be supportive of your case. I'd be happy to write to MB Aus if you have a contact. I certainly wouldn't be interested in purchasing another AMG unless they are prepared to stand behind their design and engineering even when their cars are out of warranty.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bhamg
You know Bruce, there are a number of members here who would say "You're out of warranty, suck it up and pay." There are many others such as myself who would be very vocal in support and some who would take the opportunity to ream MB a new one until they man up and do the right thing. That last category just might include me. The internet is the great equalizer...
Same here. Known issue and you are just "barely" post warranty. Factory should pony-up 100%. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Too lazy to check and do a search, what is the recommended mileage for a coolant flush?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Actually I think morganb's is an important case...it is likely a harbinger of things to come. It's certainly the first case of its kind that will be scrutinized worldwide on a public forum such as this. I have no doubt MB Aus will engage the mothership in direct talks as to the resolution, because the implications (read $$$) will be so sweeping.

One issue that fascinates me...if MB chooses to provide financial relief for this specific post-warranty issue...where does time and mileage enter into each future case?

Last edited by bhamg; 07-25-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM

Mercedes Benz SL63 AMG
Those f#@king head bolts

Hi.
I have serious problem with my C63 (2009 and 35 000 miles). Over the last 1,5 months I have constantly losing coolant. So far I have filled with extra 4 liters in it. Car has been twice in the repair shop and they donīt find any leakage - everything is dry as usual.
So today they told me that maybe I have crack in the engine or something else and that causes coolant loss into engine. Does anybody have any information about it or same problem?

P.S. Does the 63 engine have any extended warranty via factory as it is serious fault if engine has crack??

This is a big damn problem, and common too. Apparently many of the M157 engines between 2008 and 2011 have the defective head bolts. It's simply too expensive for MB to recall all the engines, as it is a time consuming and difficult job to replace the bolts. If you have a MB with one of these engines, such as the SL63 AMG or C63 AMG, and you notice coolant loss beginning, STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATLY and get towed to the dealer. You don't have long before you're hydrolocked and the engine destroyed. Better hope your still under warranty, but you'd probably get a goodwill discount even if not.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
There is a point of law in most countries where there is an obligation to mitigate damages. It would seem that this is metallurgical issue, and it is know to MB. They have not contacted owners who have purchased new or CPO cars through their supply chain and mentioned this issue and given those owners the chance to replace the bolts, whether it be for free, full price, or reduced cost. As a result, when these bolts go they need a much more involved and therefore expensive repair which MB stands to profit from and all the while the issue depreciates the value of all vehicles with this motor no matter when they were built. By not contacting the owners with regards to this, MB has passed on the opportunity to mitigate the damages and in doing so take on an even larger responsibility.

That's the way I understand it, but I am not a lawyer or even a college graduate. Not only that but I was high off my *** thru high school. But I've learned a few things since then

Any lawyers care to comment?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I really should start calling around and see if I can have the headbolts replaced while the car is still under warranty.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 PM

2011 E350
Coolant leak 2011 E350. 18,000 miles. Message came on dashboard. Checked and coolant reservoir was empty. Put in >2 qts. distilled H2O. Car sat for a week while I was out of town. Drove it a few blocks and message appeared. Reservoir down only about 1 qt. I can see blue-green coolant on part of frame just below the fan. Any ideas as to where leak might be and what repair is needed? (Still under warranty by a few months). Thanks.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:10 AM

Merc AMG c63 2009 model
Question C63 head studs

Yep I have 2009 C63 (104k Kms) and as well as using water completely dropped its guts a couple of days ago. Intake manifold gasket rs for starters and now the techs are looking at the head studs or a cracked head.
must be something in the metal as this car has never overheated and not flogged however has been known to cruise over 210kph.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
Smile

Originally Posted by ian.slack-smith
Yep I have 2009 C63 (104k Kms) and as well as using water completely dropped its guts a couple of days ago. Intake manifold gasket rs for starters and now the techs are looking at the head studs or a cracked head.
must be something in the metal as this car has never overheated and not flogged however has been known to cruise over 210kph.

hi what country are you in thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
bump
Old 04-01-2016, 03:42 AM

2000 mercedes ml430
I have a 2000 ml430 mercedes And i want know why i have a cooling leck everytime have to keeping water when it running or not it leck out and where is the radiator at
Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 AM

2000 mercedes ml430
I have a 2000 ml430 mercedes And i want know why i have a cooling leck everytime have to keeping water when it running or not it leck out and where is the radiator at
Old 01-26-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 ML63 AMG
72k miles - dealer says coolant in engine

Finally I got news from dealership. They told that MB factory will cover 75% of repair and 25% I have to pay myself. It means I have to pay about 900$ myself
Our 2009 ML63 AMG with 72k mikes is at the Mercedes dealership after having to top off the coolant 2x in a week.

They have found coolant in the oil and need to pull the engine to diagnose.

I may may need your advice on how to get MB to pay for some costs of this repair. Can you PM me and maybe have a phone conversation?

It would be beneficial to hear from anyone who has negotiated a partial payment by MB on an out of warranty vehicle.

1/26/2017
Old 01-26-2017, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Just as an FYI....

A quick search shows that post is almost 5 years old, and the fellow you are replying to hasn't posted in almost 3 years. You could try direct messaging him, but I wouldn't be expecting a reply.

And I dont know of anyone who has gotten anything from MB on an out of warranty vehicle with this issue. Not saying it hasnt happened, but if it has MB has had them be very quiet about it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak