C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can they find out that the car was tuned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c63 AMG
Can they find out that the car was tuned?

First of all, I really want to get the car tuned with either MHP or Evosport, but I am concerned about the warranty.

Since I only have 10K miles on a 2010 C63 AMG, I am a little concerned if the dealership would ever figure out that my car was tuned if I turn it in for basic service intervals? Or should I just take my car somewhere else for service?

Is it possible to just buy another ECU and tune it? Or can Mercedes track it like on the CTS-V's that I read about???
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
I believe any dealer can do its series of test and find out if your ECU was touch or not. You should not be concern if you are just bringing it in for service but when your car has warranty issues and when they find out, they can deny warranty work. With my prior EVO X I can switch between my stock and mod setup by using the COBB access port but I don't think MB tuners have similar option. They should but i'm not sure.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM

home the point
There are several of threads on the topic.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-question.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-dealers.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...swap-ecus.html
Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
My tech has not been able to find anything that tells him the car was tuned with his software at work..,

But that doesn't mean it's not possible with further investigation...

I remember awhile back a member on here had an engine failure with a tune and exhaust (headers), the dealer didn't find out he was tuned... But they made him buy a new exhaust system and return the car to stock before replacing the engine...
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM

home the point
Originally Posted by Merc63
My tech has not been able to find anything that tells him the car was tuned with his software at work..,

I remember awhile back a member on here had an engine failure with a tune and exhaust (headers), the dealer didn't find out he was tuned... But they made him buy a new exhaust system and return the car to stock before replacing the engine...
How to get an engine failure from tune? Sounds like there's a lot more behind that story.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!

When you have an engine failure, the techs have to submit the claim to headquarters. From there, HQ will have them pull the ME (ECU) for them to evaluate. First thing that they will see is that the ME has been opened. Once that has been decided, there is nothing that MB will do for you. Other than goodwill from the dealership.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
When you have an engine failure, the techs have to submit the claim to headquarters. From there, HQ will have them pull the ME (ECU) for them to evaluate. First thing that they will see is that the ME has been opened. Once that has been decided, there is nothing that MB will do for you. Other than goodwill from the dealership.

Well the guy on here got a new engine and he was tuned according to him.. All he had to buy was a new exhaust system($9000) and they replaced his engine....
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by cptdaz
How to get an engine failure from tune? Sounds like there's a lot more behind that story.

There was a lot more to the story.. They never did find out what caused it to my knowledge... He ended up deleting the post...
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

home the point
Wait, so you're saying to reflash A/F mapping, tuners have to open up the ECU physically? I thought tune is a software/firmware change nothing physical. That doesn't sound right, but I don't know much about car tuning.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM

C63
I believe that they got some ways to know either your car is tuned or not
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
As a dealer tech, it is possible to tell its tuned IF you know what to look for. Most techs wont be able to tell or even care if it is tuned unless you have a unusual drive ability concern. It would be a hassle for us to bring it up with management. I would not worry about tuning it. Get it tuned and enjoy it. If you have any serious engine/trans issues, have your tuner return the software to stock before bringing the car in. Most tuners will do this for free
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM

C63 AMG
Our ECU's do record certain data points. The MB Star tool is able to see things such as top speed etc.

When I took my car in for a MAF sensor issue the tech asked me how long my car had been tuned for. I obviously tried to play stupid but once he asked "I show your top speed achieved as over 190mph" I had to come clean lol

Luckily for me he was cool with it since it had nothing to do with the issue the car was in for.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by stockC43
As a dealer tech, it is possible to tell its tuned IF you know what to look for. Most techs wont be able to tell or even care if it is tuned unless you have a unusual drive ability concern. It would be a hassle for us to bring it up with management. I would not worry about tuning it. Get it tuned and enjoy it. If you have any serious engine/trans issues, have your tuner return the software to stock before bringing the car in. Most tuners will do this for free

There you have it from the horses mouth.

What about keeping your stock ECU and having a secondary tuned ECU? This is what I did... Just threw in the stock one for warranty and service...
Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
Isn't a second ECU expensive and completed?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by AMGFTW
Our ECU's do record certain data points. The MB Star tool is able to see things such as top speed etc.

When I took my car in for a MAF sensor issue the tech asked me how long my car had been tuned for. I obviously tried to play stupid but once he asked "I show your top speed achieved as over 190mph" I had to come clean lol

Luckily for me he was cool with it since it had nothing to do with the issue the car was in for.
This is what I mean by what to look for With the turbo cars if it throws a code under full throttle and its tuned, engine load will be more than 100%. I've seen as much as 140% engine load. It will store data points when the code was stored such as load, speed etc. usually 20-40 different data points. most are of no concern to the tech during diag though
Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by amg4rl
Isn't a second ECU expensive and completed?
I wouldn't bother personally, Just find a service writer and mb tech that's cool or even a enthusiast and you will nave no issues with warranty. It may sound stupid but try buying them off with snacks when you arrive. Believe it or not it will make a world of a difference. You will be that "one" customer that all wise brings in cookies or something and they will go out of there way to help you
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM

home the point
There you have it from the horses mouth.

What about keeping your stock ECU and having a secondary tuned ECU? This is what I did... Just threw in the stock one for warranty and service...
Someone said that wasn't possible without a lot of hassle since the vehicle is "paired" with an ECU.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Someone said that wasn't possible without a lot of hassle since the vehicle is "paired" with an ECU.
If they are both paired to the same vin it "should" be ok. You cannot use a ecu from another vehicle
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM

home the point
If they are both paired to the same vin it "should" be ok. You cannot use a ecu from another vehicle
And how much effort is it to pair an ECU to a different VIN? Oh NM you're saying you can't. So if you buy a new ECU, you have to give the dealer your VIN and they will pair the "virgin" ECU?

Last edited by cptdaz; 04-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM

And how much effort is it to pair an ECU to a different VIN? Oh NM you're saying you can't. So if you buy a new ECU, you have to give the dealer your VIN and they will pair the "virgin" ECU?
Well yes and no, someone on this forum can clear vin's from m.e.'s (motor electronics/ecu) if you do get a used one, however its unusual. pm me if you need his name. but the dealer will need to code it. It does whats known as scn coding. The star computer sends your vehicle data to mb then mb sends back a coding string that is loaded to the m.e. automatically. Then the m.e. is coded to the vehicle. I'm sure the dealer will be curious to as why you want to purchase a additional m.e. for your vehicle though
Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM

home the point
So like I said, a lot of hassle. Thanks for the info stockc43.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 PM

2010 c63 AMG
Thumbs up Decision...

Thanks guys for all the replies. I think I'm going to move forward with MHP's v3 tune.

Hopefully there shipping process is quick since this is my daily driver....
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8

+1. Additionally they can tell if the ECU has been removed from the vehicle without even checking to see if it's been opened. Too bad no one has come up with a flash that works through the OBD2 port yet.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
This is what I mean by what to look for With the turbo cars if it throws a code under full throttle and its tuned, engine load will be more than 100%. I've seen as much as 140% engine load. It will store data points when the code was stored such as load, speed etc. usually 20-40 different data points. most are of no concern to the tech during diag though
I wish that would work, I'd buy them a nice bottle of scotch everytime I went in. Unfortunately for major drivetrain component failures the regional service rep and MBZUSA get involved. As much as you're local dealer service guys might like to help....it's out of their hands.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Doubt it, unless they physically take out your ECU to inspect it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can they find out that the car was tuned?