Brand New AMG Model in Development ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Brand New AMG Model in Development ???

It is very likely that AMG is developing an entirely new model to be released in 2014. Given the performance targets and pricepoint, it would seem to be a natural step up for many C63 owners (like me) who are unable to snag a Black Series at this time, don't have any interest in the larger models and probably won't ever be able to afford an SLS. Speculation is all over the media and quite a bit of specific data is available.

SLS aluminum frame shortened by about 9 inches

Detuned M159 motor (easily corrected)

Dry sump

Rear mounted DCT with carbon fiber shaft

Factory LSD

SLS suspension

Carbon Ceramic option

Coupe and Convertible options

Target curb weight under 3700 pounds (coupe)

Price point very similiar to Black Series but not limited production

All in all this sounds like the ideal AMG in my book, considering my car will be paid for in a couple months, it's time to start saving up for the SLC aka Baby SLS.

While this may be just speculation today, it bears watching for anyone looking to upgrade in the next couple of years.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
This could definitely be my next car. The DCT and weight drop over the current C63 is what excites me.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
I'm very intrigued. Hoping I can afford it.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Gullwing doors?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK, future C63 owner
Given all the latest unhealthy obsessions about "fuel efficiency" by just about every car manufacturer (partially dictated by stuff like new ridiculous CAFE standards here in USA), the next generation of C63 will most likely have:
- a smaller, turbocharged engine (which might have a different "feel" and different stock exhaust sound)
- an electric power steering (which again, might have a different "feel" with less road feedback)
- various other "band-aids" related to fuel efficiency, like engine auto stat/stop system

If you're looking forward for such vehicle - good for you. Personally I am planning to enjoy the current generation of C63 (after I'll finally take delivery of it) for as long as it is possible.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's the SLC indeed. although that may not be the final name.

i went to the private viewing of this car, where they had AM Vantage, Audi R8, Porsche Carrera S, SL63 (the new one) & SLS on display. AMG's primary target for this car is 911. looked pretty good. imagine the new A class frontal design with more aggressive lights, grill & bumper, with a Viper-ish side profile.

i still prefer the SLS though. not to mention by the time this car comes out u'll be able to pick up a used SLS for about the same price.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 AM

2012 c63 sedan
Hhughes1,

You ever consider or drive the r8 v10? Since it seems you have lot of track experience, I would like your opinion on that car if you have any experience with it.

I like the idea of the SLC and DCT would be a nice upgrade, but manuals seem more connected even though your times may not be as fast. Can't wait to see the actual car tho!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by late_bloomer
Hhughes1,

You ever consider or drive the r8 v10? Since it seems you have lot of track experience, I would like your opinion on that car if you have any experience with it.

I like the idea of the SLC and DCT would be a nice upgrade, but manuals seem more connected even though your times may not be as fast. Can't wait to see the actual car tho!
Within our circle of track buddies there are 2 R8 V10's and a Superleggara. I have not even sat in the Audis but I have rode along in the Lambo. It is a completely different experience, feels like your but is dragging the ground and the grip is insane. The Lambo has the E gear auto and the shifts are violent at WOT. My daughter once did back to back ride alongs, the Lambo first and then with me. She could not get over the amount of sliding that happens in the AMG, fun but scary at the same time. She is much more impressed with the Lambo of course.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

2013 Fiat Abarth
my housemate has an R8 V10, he loves it, i love it. It is a powerfull thing, power that audi had put in it, so they accounted for it in terms of suspension, braking, handling, and gearbox. its not like tuning a car ofcourse. where my car limits at 155, yest i drove the R8 and was at 145 on a small 2 lane road before i looked down at the speedo. The gearbox is the worst part imo. a DCT in that would be unreal. on a curb, if you shift (the auto gearbox) the car is thrown a good distance.. this is not the case in other sport and exotic cars ive driven. Im not sure how i can explain it but there when u shift there is a good .8 of a second delay which is bad in terms of track use .. ive found that if u lift off the accelerator shift, then plant ur foot again, you get better results...

the SLC on the other hand, imo, is going to be a step up from the SLK55, and a step down from the SL63 in terms of price and quality... but in terms of performance, it will surpass the SL63.. its made to compete with the carrera S, which is an 11.7 second car 1/4 mile.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 144 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by c63edition1
my housemate has an R8 V10, he loves it, i love it. It is a powerfull thing, power that audi had put in it, so they accounted for it in terms of suspension, braking, handling, and gearbox. its not like tuning a car ofcourse. where my car limits at 155, yest i drove the R8 and was at 145 on a small 2 lane road before i looked down at the speedo. The gearbox is the worst part imo. a DCT in that would be unreal. on a curb, if you shift (the auto gearbox) the car is thrown a good distance.. this is not the case in other sport and exotic cars ive driven. Im not sure how i can explain it but there when u shift there is a good .8 of a second delay which is bad in terms of track use .. ive found that if u lift off the accelerator shift, then plant ur foot again, you get better results...

the SLC on the other hand, imo, is going to be a step up from the SLK55, and a step down from the SL63 in terms of price and quality... but in terms of performance, it will surpass the SL63.. its made to compete with the carrera S, which is an 11.7 second car 1/4 mile.
Ahh, only in DC would people that are roommates have an R8 and C63. Housing is expensive here!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM

2013 Fiat Abarth
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
Ahh, only in DC would people that are roommates have an R8 and C63. Housing is expensive here!
LOL .. u dont wanna see half the cars on campus :P .. i posted something about it a while ago, www.campuscars.com .. but yeh my housemate is spoilt .. modest .. but he's set .. cant complain myself .. im greatful !!
housing here is ridic as well .. i left a 1 bed 750sq ft apt which cost 2.5k a month (2 year contract) only to find out the person that rented it after me had to spend 3k a month to get it for a 1 year contract, its insane
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 144 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by c63edition1
LOL .. u dont wanna see half the cars on campus :P .. i posted something about it a while ago, www.campuscars.com .. but yeh my housemate is spoilt .. modest .. but he's set .. cant complain myself .. im greatful !!
housing here is ridic as well .. i left a 1 bed 750sq ft apt which cost 2.5k a month (2 year contract) only to find out the person that rented it after me had to spend 3k a month to get it for a 1 year contract, its insane
Don't feel too bad, you're apparently a student driving a C63
Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
It looks promising. Only problem is that it loses all the functionality, that is C63.Backseats, decent trunk etc. SLC to me sounds more like car #2 that's fun for weekends Just my .02