C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock brake pads up to the job for the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
thank you everyone for the great advice. I'm really looking forward to taking the c63 onto the track.

question. I've never experienced brake fade so is it something you can tell is coming or is it sudden? I would think its sudden but i was at a track session with my friend once and saw an sti just plow into tire wall because he couldnt stop.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by chief63
You will toast the stock pads very very quickly and the drilled discs will most likely start to crack after 3 or 4 daily events unless it's very cold or raining. I am already up to my 4th set of discs and countless set of pads after only 2 years.

Testing the "Racing Brake" hardware this season, front discs will not be drilled, only slotted.

Also the mention that the C63 is not a race car is faulse if you do the right mods (like any car that is not a race only purpose). Was already at par with Porsche Gt3s last year, with an extra 100hp this year I should be very close to the Gt3 rs which is possibly the fastest you'll encounter. Not too bad for a car that I drive to the track with 2 baby seats!

good luck =)

Hate to break the bad news to you but the GT3's that you meet ( and I) at HPDE's aren't being driven like our friend a few posts above who linked his video in. 2:19 at Sebring is rare territory and speaks volumes about both the driver and the car's performance envelope. Keith's car at 3500 pounds with DOT slicks runs low 2:30's and I am working hard to get within 4 or 5 seconds of him. I honestly don't think the AMG has much left for untapped ability it just has lesser limits than certain cars.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by hhughes1
2:19 at Sebring is rare territory and speaks volumes about both the driver and [that] car's performance envelope.
Indeed. Castrol’s SRF does not a GT3RS this chassis make.

Man’s got to know his limitations. -Harry Callahan
Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
For M3EvoBR, we have a private rental set up at Sebring for the last weekend of September. Registration is $499 for the weekend and it is the full course. You can find it under Flatout Motorsports at club registration.net. I don't see any reason why you could'nt bring both cars and just pay one driver fee. There will be a few guys out there running in the teens so at least you would have some company. Off the track you won't find a better group to hang out with.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by late_bloomer
Also, what fluids do you change after a day at the track like your video?
Just Oil change & transmission fluid ?
So I change the engine and tranny oil per the normal schedule. If you are going to do anything with the brake fluid, it should be before the track weekend. After that, the street is nothing.

As for the SRF discussion, the proponent would change his brake fluid very frequently. Good!! This is a better strategy than the SFR!. And yes, relative to the original sales price of these cars, it is a minor premium. However, most on this forum are not original owners and cost is a consideration.

If cost was no consideration, we would all be running long tube headers with a Wiestec supercharger. And we would all have DTMs.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 AM

07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
Originally Posted by natman316
thank you everyone for the great advice. I'm really looking forward to taking the c63 onto the track.

question. I've never experienced brake fade so is it something you can tell is coming or is it sudden? I would think its sudden but i was at a track session with my friend once and saw an sti just plow into tire wall because he couldnt stop.
I had it happen on another car (not an MB) with 4 year old brake fluid.
I was just planning to take it easy...

I felt my pedal go soft but I was still able to push it down more and the car slowed enough to make the turn.
I tried to run at cool-down pace to get back to the pits.
However, at the next hairpin the car had zero brakes and I had to straightline it onto the service road (glad it was there).
I had to wait on the service road for 2 sessions untill the fluid cooled enough for the brakes to work again.

So if you feel your pedal go soft, slow down as much as you can and pull off the track immediately as you may not make the next turn.