Sponsored by:

Something strange happened tonight.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2012 | 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by bhamg
Bonehead service types at your store but good news for you...
Can you imagine this ends up being a simple software issue and the dealer is telling me I need to buy a new ECU?
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by BK63amg
Update*

Jerry@Eurocharged said he got my ECU back up and running. It appears like it was some kind of a software issue - though I haven't had a chance to speak with him to discuss the specifics. (Jerry if you see this, please give me a call/email/PM or chime in here...)

He said he reset the module, reflashed the ecu and cleared all error codes thru STAR. I should have my ECU back today...the moment of truth will come when I plug it back in and fire her up.

Fingers crossed...

**Update
My ECU has arrived at my house...anxious to get home and plug it back. Definitely leaving the office early today...
I hope this will fix your problem BK... I bet it will! It's always good to have a second opinion rather then listen to the dealer, they don't like to fix, they like to replace for $$ reasons.
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by Roswell
I hope this will fix your problem BK... I bet it will! It's always good to have a second opinion rather then listen to the dealer, they don't like to fix, they like to replace for $$ reasons.
The tech was very helpful but obviously, anything related to my ECU was going to give me trouble so there was only so much that could have been done.
Old 05-18-2012 | 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Update*

Jerry@Eurocharged said he got my ECU back up and running. It appears like it was some kind of a software issue - though I haven't had a chance to speak with him to discuss the specifics. (Jerry if you see this, please give me a call/email/PM or chime in here...)

He said he reset the module, reflashed the ecu and cleared all error codes thru STAR. I should have my ECU back today...the moment of truth will come when I plug it back in and fire her up.

Fingers crossed...

**Update
My ECU has arrived at my house...anxious to get home and plug it back. Definitely leaving the office early today...
Good news Jason.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-18-2012 | 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Plugged my ECU in and am experiencing the same exact issues as before.

Spoke to Jerry and he is insisting there is nothing wrong with my ECU - no physical damage he can see and all of the codes cleared on his STAR.

Dealer is insisting the ME is bad and causing all of the issues...the saga continues...
Old 05-18-2012 | 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dang, sorry to hear BK.. U should tell the dealer what Jerry told u.. And if after purchasing a new ECU, the problem still persist.. Then u can return that new ECU since ur problem is not ECU related.. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-21-2012 | 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
**Update

Dealer's initial diagnosis was correct. The ME is damaged, more specifically there is no ground to two of the pins in my ecu (that control the oil temps and my fans.)

Unfortunately, Eurocharged could not repair it for me.

Looks like I have no choice but to purchase a new ECU. Hoping to get that done this week.
Old 05-21-2012 | 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
**Update

Dealer's initial diagnosis was correct. The ME is damaged, more specifically there is no ground to two of the pins in my ecu (that control the oil temps and my fans.)

Unfortunately, Eurocharged could not repair it for me.

Looks like I have no choice but to purchase a new ECU. Hoping to get that done this week.
I know its a hefty price but you will ultimately be better off running on a new ECU. The hardware cannot have anything wrong with it for these to drive smoothly...you can't ever get around from a fried ECU. It will also be a great peace of mind....no worries, you will back to normal soon...
Old 05-21-2012 | 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I know its a hefty price but you will ultimately be better off running on a new ECU. The hardware cannot have anything wrong with it for these to drive smoothly...you can't ever get around from a fried ECU. It will also be a great peace of mind....no worries, you will back to normal soon...
Definitely...now I'm just looking to get my car back on the road at this point.
Old 05-21-2012 | 02:56 PM

2010 C63, 2007 X5
There is a seal that was cracked when the ecu was opened - as soon as the dealer sees this, the jig is up. Even if I flashed back to stock, it wouldn't matter.
This is good info. I'm glad I purchased:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ening-ecu.html
Old 05-21-2012 | 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by BO Knows
This is good info. I'm glad I purchased:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ening-ecu.html
Precisely - had this technology been available last year, I wouldn't even be dealing with this issue.
Old 05-21-2012 | 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sucks to hear ur misfortune BK. Do u know what damaged the ECU? The tune itself or smthin else?
Old 05-21-2012 | 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Sucks to hear ur misfortune BK. Do u know what damaged the ECU? The tune itself or smthin else?
Appreciate it man - thanks.

What happened didn't have anything to do with my ECU or tune. The the tensioner belt snapped and damaged the harness, it caused a short with damaged the ground to my ecu. As a result, two of the pins were damaged.

Freak accident and my ECU was damaged as a byproduct of an issue otherwise covered under warranty.
Old 05-21-2012 | 07:47 PM

c63
so now that the ECU is being replaced, are you going to retune? if you don't is that part replaced by you covered by warranty again since it was a secondary, freak failure?
Old 05-21-2012 | 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is just unbelievable.. If they know the short was done by the belt, then they should man up & warranty the new ECU. If the ECU failed for no reason, I would understand they blame ur tune.. Ah well, I guess some dealers are more understanding than others.

I also found that some dealer would not honor a warranty & another would, from past experience.
Old 05-21-2012 | 08:00 PM

2009 C63
^^

While I totally agree with your reasoning, you HAVE to look at it from the dealer's side as well. More often than not, it all comes down to the tech & SA and how far they are willing to "help" so to speak. The problem is once something is documented on the repair order, there's no turning back and everyone at the dealership will have to follow protocol. If MB has to pay for warranty repair work on their dime, you can be sure that everything has to be according to protocol or else heads will roll. Very few SAs and techs are going to take that risk for any customer, no matter how good the relationship is between them.

Just food for thought.
Old 05-21-2012 | 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by derspi
^^

While I totally agree with your reasoning, you HAVE to look at it from the dealer's side as well. More often than not, it all comes down to the tech & SA and how far they are willing to "help" so to speak. The problem is once something is documented on the repair order, there's no turning back and everyone at the dealership will have to follow protocol. If MB has to pay for warranty repair work on their dime, you can be sure that everything has to be according to protocol or else heads will roll. Very few SAs and techs are going to take that risk for any customer, no matter how good the relationship is between them.

Just food for thought.
That pretty much sums it up. When any warranty work takes place, the parts that get replaced are sent back to MB. As soon as they see something funny, they're going to come down hard on the dealer.

This is just an unfortunate situation and at the end of the day, you really do have to pay to play in this game.

Fortunately, Eurocharged now offers a remote tuning option...
Old 05-21-2012 | 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I'm glad you are okay with the situation BK... and I guess you have not much choice at this point.

I was just sharing from my past experience (maybe cuz I had great relationship with that dealer)... about lots of repairs done to my previous car that I was supposed to pay from my pocket, but the dealership warrantied them.. lol !
Old 05-21-2012 | 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Well, I'm glad you are okay with the situation BK... and I guess you have not much choice at this point.

I was just sharing from my past experience (maybe cuz I had great relationship with that dealer)... about lots of repairs done to my previous car that I was supposed to pay from my pocket, but the dealership warrantied them.. lol !
I'm definitely not OK with it but I don't have any other choice at this point!
Old 05-22-2012 | 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
So I got some bad news from the dealer last night: the wire that was damaged caused multiple shorts in the harness, grounding was bad and apparently did damage to my ECU. They are now saying I must replace my ECU... and because my ECU is flashed, they will not cover the cost of replacement ECU.

Suffice to say I am pretty pissed off because the damage to my ecu was caused by something completely unrelated but just by virtue of having my tune, I'm screwed. I'm pretty sure the tech isn't bullsh*tting me because he is a friend of my friend and mechanic. Now I'm faced with a bill that will most likely exceed $2K for a new ECU plus diagnostics and labor.

I was contemplating sending my ECU out to www.ecudoctors.com as they seem pretty thorough and offer a 5 year warranty on their work.

Should I attempt to repair my ECU before ordering a new one? Should i order a new one and attempt to repair my old one with the tune file on it?

Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear but consider yourself lucky they didn't blame the entire repair on the ECU tune. I think you're going to eat this one.
Old 05-22-2012 | 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Sorry to hear but consider yourself lucky they didn't blame the entire repair on the ECU tune. I think you're going to eat this one.
Much has happened since I made the post you quoted and I will be paying to replace the ECU.

They couldn't blame the entire repair on my ECU because the initial problem had nothing to do with the my ecu. The belt tensioner failed and when it snapped, it damaged the harness causing multiple shorts (oil temp and cam timing sensors.) My ECU was just collateral damage...had it not been cracked, they would have replaced that under warranty as well.

Last edited by BK63amg; 05-22-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2012 | 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Much has happened since I made the post you quoted and I will be paying to replace the ECU.

They couldn't blame the entire repair on my ECU because the initial problem had nothing to do with the my ecu. The belt tensioner failed and when it snapped, it damaged the harness causing multiple shorts (oil temp and cam timing sensors.) My ECU was just collateral damage...had it not been cracked, they would have replaced that under warranty as well.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully on the service record they do no specify that you had a tuned ECU on the car. This could lead to problems down the road when trying to sell or if you have future warranty problems.

Tell them to be nice to you and leave that part out!
Old 05-24-2012 | 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
So I got my car back today. Paid $2100 for a new ecu + labor...car is back to stock and feels like a slug. Also got my old ecu back and it was rattling inside as if something had been broken. I opened it up and found one of the screws used to secure the motherboard rolling around the inside...naturally, the dealer plead ignorance. Somebody at the dealer obviously opened it up because it was solid and intact when the car was dropped off.

Just glad to have this behind me...
Old 05-24-2012 | 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
So I got my car back today. Paid $2100 for a new ecu + labor...car is back to stock and feels like a slug. Also got my old ecu back and it was rattling inside as if something had been broken. I opened it up and found one of the screws used to secure the motherboard rolling around the inside...naturally, the dealer plead ignorance. Somebody at the dealer obviously opened it up because it was solid and intact when the car was dropped off.

Just glad to have this behind me...

Any service record? How did they write out the receipt?
Old 05-25-2012 | 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by propain
Any service record? How did they write out the receipt?
No service record as far as I can tell. The receipt is written as physical damage to ME (ecu)...replaced at owner cost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something strange happened tonight.