Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with CEL code P228F

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Got about 95k on my 07 CLS 63 and just recently noticed an intermittent P228F. Tried doing my own research and everyone seems to be taking a guess at it, few weeks back noticed my fuel gauge gets stuck at 1/4 of a tank, so im assuming fuel pump issue. Looks more complex than that tho, debating getting it looked at by the dealer
Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by joemomma
Got about 95k on my 07 CLS 63 and just recently noticed an intermittent P228F. Tried doing my own research and everyone seems to be taking a guess at it, few weeks back noticed my fuel gauge gets stuck at 1/4 of a tank, so im assuming fuel pump issue. Looks more complex than that tho, debating getting it looked at by the dealer
i had my fuel gauge stuck before too. it was the fuel sender that was the problem i believe.

as far as the P228F, i'm still fighting it. it's still intermittent. i've had it in for hundreds of miles, and sometimes only for like 4 miles. i'm out of warranty now, so i'm kinda assed out. i've had to cancel/move some appointments at the dealer because the light would turn off. i didn't see any point in dropping it off without the light on, because i'm not sure what they can do without the light on, as there aren't any driveability issues or anything noticeable.

i've done some work with this with the warranty company and an indy shop. so far nothing's worked. i want to bring it to the dealer but i feel like it's gonna cost a lot of money and a lot of back and forth. they already told me they have to start at the beginning, basically redoing stuff that i've already tried. the parts themselves we're tried already should still have warranty but i'd have to pay for labor.

i'm not sure whats the long time effects of just living with it, seeing as its intermittent. i kinda just wanna leave it until something breaks and just pay for that when it comes.

Last edited by drawde; 06-29-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by drawde
i had my fuel gauge stuck before too. it was the fuel sender that was the problem i believe.

as far as the P228F, i'm still fighting it. it's still intermittent. i've had it in for hundreds of miles, and sometimes only for like 4 miles. i'm out of warranty now, so i'm kinda assed out. i've had to cancel/move some appointments at the dealer because the light would turn off. i didn't see any point in dropping it off without the light on, because i'm not sure what they can do without the light on, as there aren't any driveability issues or anything noticeable.

i've done some work with this with the warranty company and an indy shop. so far nothing's worked. i want to bring it to the dealer but i feel like it's gonna cost a lot of money and a lot of back and forth. they already told me they have to start at the beginning, basically redoing stuff that i've already tried. the parts themselves we're tried already should still have warranty but i'd have to pay for labor.

i'm not sure whats the long time effects of just living with it, seeing as its intermittent. i kinda just wanna leave it until something breaks and just pay for that when it comes.

Out of curiosity have you swapped out your fuel pump?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Out of curiosity have you swapped out your fuel pump?
yes, both pumps, fuel rail sensor, fuel filter, fuel injectors.. no difference
Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 PM

CLS63
yes, both pumps, fuel rail sensor, fuel filter, fuel injectors.. no difference
Damn, well so much for assuming it was a pump. Guess Ill check into getting it diagnosed
Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 PM

C63
My CEL with P228F came on over the weekend. Car drives absolutely fine and no noticeable difference in power. Car is out of warranty so not sure what to do at this point
Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 PM

CLS63
What worries me is getting stuck in drawdes situation
Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
What worries me is getting stuck in drawdes situation
took it to the dealer, initially they were testing stuff out and couldn't find anything wrong. they opened a support ticket and i'm being told they believe it to be the fuel pump. after they checked it, they saw some install issues that might've caused an issue. i'll know for sure tomorrow. i just want the problem GONE. to be honest this is the only real issue i've had with my car, aside from this and maybe a sensor here or there, i haven't had any problems.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 AM

C63
a local mercedes dealer mechanic told me this " that code it can usually be 3 things. Sometimes just clearing it goes away (I don't know why) but it's usually either the fuel pump (regulator is with the pump) or the ME (Engine Control Module)."
Old 07-22-2015, 12:34 PM

C63
Another veteran mercedes dealer tech just informed me that it is likely the Fuel Pressure Sensor that needs to be replaced if the car is running perfectly fine without any power loss or running too lean or rich.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:26 PM

CLS63
Ive cleared mine once but it comes and goes on its own. I thought it would be best to swap out a pump due to my sender also being bad, but im unsure of which route to go lol
Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by cooperlee
a local mercedes dealer mechanic told me this " that code it can usually be 3 things. Sometimes just clearing it goes away (I don't know why) but it's usually either the fuel pump (regulator is with the pump) or the ME (Engine Control Module)."
my dealer told me basically the same thing. they told me either the pump or the ME (Engine Control Module) now. i told them do the ME ECM because that was never replaced. i don't feel as bad paying for something new. i dont want to do the pumps again unless i really have to because they were already done.

anyone know if the ME ECM is the ECU? i'm assuming so, right? i was tuned but I guess i'm going back to stock now.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:00 PM

C63
it seems that the fuel pressure sensor could be the cause. Have you changed that out?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:53 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by cooperlee
it seems that the fuel pressure sensor could be the cause. Have you changed that out?
are we talking about the sensor in the pump or for the rail?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 PM

CLS63
Well just found out my pumps are under warranty #oops lol
Old 07-23-2015, 02:07 PM

CLS63
guess ill get them swapped out, ill will keep you guys posted
Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 PM

CLS63
turns out they are not in warranty lol FML
Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
turns out they are not in warranty lol FML
hope it works out for you man, this is a pain in the ***. so far out of pocket i've put in over $3k: rail sensor, 1 fuel pump, ME ECU.. expecting another +700 or something if the ECU doesn't fix it, for the other pump. mind you this is on top of all the stuff i've mentioned already having replaced under warranty before, but apparently there is only a 1 year warranty on those parts.

on the upside, the c300 loaner i have is almost 2x my gas mileage so that's at least a few hundred i've saved so far lol if i have the loaner long enough maybe it'll pay for itself.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:23 PM

'06 E55,'10 ML63
Damn. I'm in the same boat as you guys with my ML63. Did any of you have the head bolts changed on your motors? Wondering if this maybe caused by an intake manifold leak (Vacuum leak). I'm going check my intake manifold this weekend before I head down the path of fuel pumps.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM

CLS63
hope it works out for you man, this is a pain in the ***. so far out of pocket i've put in over $3k: rail sensor, 1 fuel pump, ME ECU.. expecting another +700 or something if the ECU doesn't fix it, for the other pump. mind you this is on top of all the stuff i've mentioned already having replaced under warranty before, but apparently there is only a 1 year warranty on those parts.

on the upside, the c300 loaner i have is almost 2x my gas mileage so that's at least a few hundred i've saved so far lol if i have the loaner long enough maybe it'll pay for itself.
I have a wholesale account with the local MB dealership, they were the ones who told me the pumps were under warranty( which is the only reason i took my car to them in the first place)

They recommend swapping out the primary pump but at the cost of $2,000 out the door. I can buy the pump myself and get it put in for next to nothing, i just wanted to get a proper diagnoses lol

All said an done for $286 bucks I was told to get a new battery, and that i have a intermittent code lol. They also told me my suspension needed more diag time because of a crack rim i welded lol( i asked for an alignment since i swapped out my control arms). Could of been worse i guess, funny our upsides are the same cause the 15 C300 drove like a champ started growing on me lol
Old 10-13-2015, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Looking for some input.. After replacing a whole bunch of stuff, both in and out of warranty, I still have the CEL. The last update from my dealer was that after monitoring the fuel pressure they are seeing absolutely zero issues, but the CEL is still being triggered. The car drives perrfectly fine, and I've had this light on and off for a while now and nothing's blown up yet. They told me that some engineers from MB acknowledged the problem and will fix it in a software update at some point down the road. I asked for something in writing but the dealer wasn't able to provide anything. I would think the dealer wouldn't have any qualms about taking my money if I was still willing to pay, which I am (to a point). Is this something that actually happens? Or are they just trying to get rid of me?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTR R35 1300whp, C63 Weistec stage 3
my friend has exactly same problem before car runs about 85000 km and problem was in a camshaft vanos control... he also replace fuel pump and regulator and no luck ! hope it will help you... !

Good Luck !
Old 10-17-2015, 01:01 PM

CLS63
Interesting... Been keeping the CLS in the garage but i know im going to have to deal with it soon
Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 PM

ML63
I have a 2009 ML63 and have had issues with the P228F code. The fuel pumps were replaced. The light went off for about three months under normal driving conditions. The latest round with the dealer suggested I have the Intake manifold and a breather valve replaced. I was told the latest fix for the 228f issue is to replace the pumps in addition to the Intake. The pumps were ok at about $2000. They want $7500 for the intake replacement. There has been no change in the cars performance or gas mileage. Has anyone successfully resolved the issue?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by johender
I have a 2009 ML63 and have had issues with the P228F code. The fuel pumps were replaced. The light went off for about three months under normal driving conditions. The latest round with the dealer suggested I have the Intake manifold and a breather valve replaced. I was told the latest fix for the 228f issue is to replace the pumps in addition to the Intake. The pumps were ok at about $2000. They want $7500 for the intake replacement. There has been no change in the cars performance or gas mileage. Has anyone successfully resolved the issue?
sorry for the late post.. in the end, my issue was fixed by replacing the gas tank. the shop foreman even told me that he doesn't know why it works but MB said they fixed 4 with the same exact issue by replacing the gas tank. i guess i was lucky #5.

hopefully i'm not jinxing myself with this lol but since getting that fixed, 5k so far and i'm still golden.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with CEL code P228F