C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

CEL again - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (I suspect)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
CEL again - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (I suspect)

So, the CEL popped up again this morning, I am guessing that it is the same issue that popped up last week, Fuel Rail Pressure sensor (I do not have the code off hand). The dealer reseated the wiring harness for the sensor and reset the codes, stating that they will replace it if it goes off again.. guess I am off to the dealer again (under warranty)

Anyone else had this issue pop up. Does not appear to be affecting performance, although my commute this morning stated I got around 24mpg.. which I have never had before, at most it is 22 and some change on my daily 55 mile (each way) commute on the highway, reverse commute on the DC beltway, so no real traffic, cruising speeds mostly.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
I think I might be having a similar issue.. Mine was throwing code p228f. Car would drive fine and the code would clear itself every now and then (usually after getting gas or when I need gas, but I'm not sure because I'm always needing/getting gas, lol)

Dropped it off the other day and I'm being told its a rail sensor and something with the module or whatever that controls the fuel pressure? Something like that. Was yours similar?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
JCH

2009 C63
My CEL has been going on and off for the last month. Car runs fine and just haven't had time to drop it off at the dealer. Any way to pull the code w/o visiting the dealer?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by JCH
My CEL has been going on and off for the last month. Car runs fine and just haven't had time to drop it off at the dealer. Any way to pull the code w/o visiting the dealer?
AutoZone or pepboys or similar should be able to pull it for you for free. I bought an Actron 9125 (my other scanner didn't work on my car) for about $50 or something from AutoZone.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM
JCH

2009 C63
Originally Posted by drawde
AutoZone or pepboys or similar should be able to pull it for you for free. I bought an Actron 9125 (my other scanner didn't work on my car) for about $50 or something from AutoZone.
Thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Advanced auto parts does not have a scanner that works (unless different stores have different models), they could not pull my error codes...

I ended up at the dealer. They cleared the code and said if it came back on, they would replace the fuel pressure sensor. It came back on, I have not had a chance to go back to the dealer though.

Also, I noted another issue which may have actually caused the problem. There is a "Y" diverter like hose piece that leads into right emission shut off valve is split, which would cause a pressure problem (just to the left of the oil filter housing). I do not quite understand how the shut off valves work as a whole.. but it might be the problem...
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic
Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what was wrong?
My car has been at the dealer for over a week and they still can't figure out what's wrong. They already replaced the fuel pressure sensor but the light came back on after a short test drive..
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM
EkS

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C63
What code have you guys been getting?
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not remember the fault code off the top of my head.

However, here is an update.
The CEL came back, I eventually dropped the car off at the dealer about 2 weeks ago, they replaced the sensor, the fuel rails, and on the test drive they did, the CEL popped again. They have narrowed it down to the fuel injectors, so they have one on order.. from Germany.. so might take a little while. I have a loaner, putting 100 miles a day on it.. oh well
Old 07-31-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht

The CEL came back, I eventually dropped the car off at the dealer about 2 weeks ago, they replaced the sensor, the fuel rails, and on the test drive they did, the CEL popped again. They have narrowed it down to the fuel injectors, so they have one on order.. from Germany.. so might take a little while. I have a loaner, putting 100 miles a day on it.. oh well
The scary thing is when the car is out of warranty and they throw parts at it to fix the issue until it goes away.

Hope you get your car back soon.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fortunately I am still under warranty.. if it was not.. my wife said to push it off a cliff and deal with the insurance companies.. problem.. there are no cliffs in my area
Old 04-02-2015, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63

jvan, sorry for stalking you but was it the fuel injectors? willing to try anything at this point.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by drawde
jvan, sorry for stalking you but was it the fuel injectors? willing to try anything at this point.
I was having a similar issue. Fuel pressure exceeded or something was the code. It was only ever happening when i was running the tank down low. I figured it was the fuel pump or filter.

My current fix is to put 4oz of marvel mystery oil with each fill up and when i do it never comes back on. Hence my thought its a fuel pump/filter issue.

Its a service item, and there is a cheaper fix than the dealer $1100 assembly, that is just fitting walbro pumps for $65 a piece. There are threads if you search.

Hope this either helps or eliminates!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
bumping for jvan
Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, sorry for the delay. been busy. I had both fuel injectors replaced under warranty.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They were not cheap either, I don't have the paperwork on me, but I believe the total cost was around $4k or something like that.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
They were not cheap either, I don't have the paperwork on me, but I believe the total cost was around $4k or something like that.
thanks jvanbrecht. based on this and the other thread, seems we tried all of the other same options (rail sensor, fuel pump, filters). hopefully this is the key for me as well!