C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2012 C63 AMG - Annoying wind whistling noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 CL550 loaded
Traded my 2012 coupe c63. The. Noise was insane ,drove me and the wife crazy.
CL 550 so quite at speed.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 PM

C63
I still think it's the seat belts.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM

C63 coupe
My coupe has the worst wind noise of any car with the windows open, just terrible.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Anyone ever resolve this issue or figure out a fix for it? My car whistles like crazy at 40mph with a slight cross breeze (windows open) from right behind my left ear. The only thing that somewhat helps is twisting the seat belt a few times when it's already buckled. Would love to know if there is a more permanent solution. A friend of mine said "that's terrible" when it started screaming and whistling on his / passenger side (so I took him through a tunnel and absolutely buried it to shut him up). I would love some help on this though.

Last edited by jmueller; 04-20-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Yup, I found a solution. I turn the radio up. :-)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Took my 2013 coupe out for a drive after washing her. With both windows down at approximately 50 mph, I get the whistle. I've been in the aviation/aerospace industry for 35 years and experience this from time to time on jetliners. I am not an aerodynamic engineer but the phenomenon is like "coke bottle" effect. Low pressure in the cabin relative to the high pressure of the car moving through the air. Most likely the air that enters the cabin being the cabin is lower; fills or compresses in the cabin. The whistle you here occurs a a frequency probably when the air fills the cabin and can't escape and pushes out where it can causing the whistle... Doesn't happen at lower speeds because there is not enough pressure buildup in the cabin where it forces itself to escape. I had a 2012 E class coupe before my c63 coupe. The E coupe has rear windows... I had a similar buffeting effect at certain speeds with only the front windows rolled down. As soon as I rolled down the rear windows the buffeting (felt in my ear drums) would go away. That's my theory anyways.

One way to test this theory is try rolling down the windows with the sunroof open and closed. See if there is any significant difference. If pressure can escape from the sunroof and no whistle, the above explanation is more feasible.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM

2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by sinape62
Took my 2013 coupe out for a drive after washing her. With both windows down at approximately 50 mph, I get the whistle. I've been in the aviation/aerospace industry for 35 years and experience this from time to time on jetliners. I am not an aerodynamic engineer but the phenomenon is like "coke bottle" effect. Low pressure in the cabin relative to the high pressure of the car moving through the air. Most likely the air that enters the cabin being the cabin is lower; fills or compresses in the cabin. The whistle you here occurs a a frequency probably when the air fills the cabin and can't escape and pushes out where it can causing the whistle... Doesn't happen at lower speeds because there is not enough pressure buildup in the cabin where it forces itself to escape. I had a 2012 E class coupe before my c63 coupe. The E coupe has rear windows... I had a similar buffeting effect at certain speeds with only the front windows rolled down. As soon as I rolled down the rear windows the buffeting (felt in my ear drums) would go away. That's my theory anyways.

One way to test this theory is try rolling down the windows with the sunroof open and closed. See if there is any significant difference. If pressure can escape from the sunroof and no whistle, the above explanation is more feasible.
Theory busted. On the drive home today, had both windows down, sunroof open, got a high pitch whistle at 65 MPH! Closed the sunroof and kept the windows rolled down an no whistle. Who knows WTH is going on... But I really don't mind or care.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:06 AM

S63
Wind noise on S63

At motorway cruising speeds I am getting a noise in my right ear that sounds like rice whizzing around in a blender. It is not that loud but sufficiently intrusive to be irritating.

When I put my hand up and shade the door pillar airbag cover it seems to go away.

Any ideas anyone other than taping it over?
Old 12-18-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
My 2011 does this but only started doing it after I switched the grill to the 2012+ one a couple years ago, before I changed the grill it never made that noise.
It only whistles loudly on freeway speeds and on the freeway I play my music super loud anyways so it's not really a bother for me anymore.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:02 PM

S63
Thanks Rohit, I am in the UK so not sure if the 2012 grill is the same over here. I do not have the facelift. Not sure if they put that on Sclass anyway.

It can only be a breath of wind but as the doors close so tightly and this seems to be coming up the central door pillar to find its way out through the airbag cover it could well be channeling from the grill.

I have put some black insulating tape over it and shall report when I am next at speed; however being in Central London, not sure when that will be.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:16 AM

2013 C63 Coupe
With windows opened and at specific speeds you get the "Coke bottle" whistling affect. My E350 coupe did the same. Most likely at certain speed air fills the cabin and cannot escape through the car building up air pressure and the only path to escape is between you and the driver window...causing the Coke Bottle effect.

My BMW X3 with Windows down will buffet at certain speeds. The panroof has two open positions, first position the air will not buffet. Full open the air will buffet. Nothing is wrong with our cars, that's the affect of aerodynamics with Windows open at certain speeds... Speed up it goes away, slow down it goes away. But at specific speed range, it whistles.

.I see this from time to time in my line of work (aerospace)...troubleshooting aerodynamic "buzzing" sounds. We ask pilots, what speed, phase of flight, angle of attack. We've instrumented planes with mics...normally a worn seal or fillet fairing seals missing. Speed tape and fly again..