Sponsored by:

Transmission shifting problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Your trans service is due every 39k miles, not 60k, just so you know.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
In S mode, with pedal close to half, I get a hard shift on 1-2 and 2-3 whenever it shifts around 4k RPM. If it shifts under 4k using a light pedal above 4k using a heavy pedal, it shifts fine. My battery was unhooked for service and was told it was an adapation issue. I have driven close to 150 miles since and still the same.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Amg PP
I had a '09 Sedan C63 for 2 years and never once had an issue, I literally beat the **** out of the car and it loved every second of it. I never once threw a CEL or had any issues what so ever.

Now I have a 2012 C63 AMG PP Coupe and I must say I'm a bit boggled by the car. I'm taking it easy because I got the car with 0km but when I hit 4k I started to open her up a bit gently. Not always but sometimes if I mash second and shift into third the car will buck and the revs will drop drastically. No idea why but it happens sometimes. I'm debating getting the car checked if it happens again, No lights on the dash though so I'm a bit boggled.

I agree with your comment though, these cars are for drivers and specifically people who like to pin it. Why else would we pay for the oil changes/tires premium on the car if it was mean't to be driven like a c300. Not sure why the guy would say " you've been driving it hard" .... That is the intended purpose of this car and outright laughable that he would say such a thing.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
60K Kms in Canada
Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 Sedan

Hey folks,

mine has 450 miles. This morning, after putting it in reverse to get out of the garage, as I started to give it a bit of gas, it felt like the transmission was slipping. The car would move a bit then slip, slip, the move again. When I put it in first, I gave little gas and it did the same thing. As I start to give more gas it felt like it “engaged” and drove off OK. 15 minutes later, after driving on the highway and parking the car, I went to change from S to C, and the car shutdown. I started the car again, and I could change from C to S to S+ etc. with no issues.

One last odd bit (also from this am), I had the car in “AMG mode” so I could see the gears and I noticed that it would NOT change from 2 to 1 as I went from C to S modes. It would just stay in 2. Using the paddles I could change it to 1, but not using the knob. After the highway driving, it functioned normally when I tried at the parking lot.

I’ll drive a little more and see if the issue repeats. If it does, I’ll take it to the dealer
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
take it to the dealer straight away. that is not normal or part of the "run in" regime.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM

I left the car at the dealership.

After work, I started the car and put it in drive
The number 2 went up on the dash, then it'd disappear, then appear, then disappear, over and over again. Engine light came on.

I'll update the board once I hear from the service advisor.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by lserva
Hey folks,

mine has 450 miles. This morning, after putting it in reverse to get out of the garage, as I started to give it a bit of gas, it felt like the transmission was slipping. The car would move a bit then slip, slip, the move again. When I put it in first, I gave little gas and it did the same thing. As I start to give more gas it felt like it “engaged” and drove off OK. 15 minutes later, after driving on the highway and parking the car, I went to change from S to C, and the car shutdown. I started the car again, and I could change from C to S to S+ etc. with no issues.

One last odd bit (also from this am), I had the car in “AMG mode” so I could see the gears and I noticed that it would NOT change from 2 to 1 as I went from C to S modes. It would just stay in 2. Using the paddles I could change it to 1, but not using the knob. After the highway driving, it functioned normally when I tried at the parking lot.

I’ll drive a little more and see if the issue repeats. If it does, I’ll take it to the dealer
Judging by your car only having 450 miles I'm assuming its a 2012+ model year with the MCT? Our trans uses a wet startup clutch instead of a torque convertor so that progressive slush you typically have in an auto that makes accelerating smoothly is gone. Since its a clutch depending on how much pedal your giving it the trans will engage disengage the clutch like a bad manual driver sometimes its embarrassing driving thru stop and go traffic but i forgive it after i stomp on it and get great throttle response and wicked fast shifts that the clutch gains over the torque convertor. SO you trade off some comfort/smoothness for throttle response/shift speeds.

On another note I've had my car for 9K miles extensivley modified to 470 wheel horsepower. I have notice after driving the car hard and getting it hot that the MCT clutch seems like its slipping when i go to downshift it won't rev match and is like when you try to downshift in comfort mode even tho I'm in manual? also when i go from 2nd to 1st it won't downshift right away the revs just float at the rpm point as if revving in neutral and all the sudden 4-5 seconds later harshly engages 1st with no rev match. Anybody else experience this? only happens when i beat on the car for a while i think i need to get the Black series transmission cooler and a weistec valve upgrade seems the trans doesn't like the extra power which is weird since wiestec has said the mct is stout and can handle there stage 3 supercharger up to 670 wheel horsepower hmmm

Maybe its cooling? and the clutch/trans/fluid is to hot causing the trans to go into a "safety" mode?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM

I just heard from my Service Advisor. They all see that "there's an issue", but the car is giving all the codes in German, he says. They will need to contact MB to have them read/translate the codes before they will proceed.

They think the valve body is causing the issue but they want to now what the codes are first. I should know the answer tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Valve Body will be replaced.

I tried to find out why this issue, but I got nowhere.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Sounds like I'm not the only one after all. I've been fighting with MB service techs for ages with this same issue as OP mentioned. Mine is an 08 with currently 14,500 miles on it and no amount of tranny flush, reset, or anything has yet to cure the problem 100%.

I'd like to know what is the final verdict here as it may help me out as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
Sounds like I'm not the only one after all. I've been fighting with MB service techs for ages with this same issue as OP mentioned. Mine is an 08 with currently 14,500 miles on it and no amount of tranny flush, reset, or anything has yet to cure the problem 100%.

reason they don't want to replace the valve body is because its between 3 and 4 thousand dollars for the part alone... mine was replaced I have no weird clunk shifting from 2nd to 1st in sport mode anymore
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap

After living with my strange shift issue, I figured it is more of a slow-shift that makes me feel that hard jerk between gears. I had my tune changed and noticed it afterwards. Corey @ Kleemann spoke to his engineer and they said the only thing they changed was that they turned on the rear O2 sensors so I can pass smog. Dealer is telling me it is the tune. I guess I'll have to contact Kleemann for a completely different tune and go from there.

I'm currently at 8900 mi.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Valve body came in this morning and I should pick up the car in the next hour. Never an issue with my service advisor but it might be because the car only has 450 miles or so. And the engine light is on, plus it's a repetitive issue (they jumped in and experienced the same).

S.A. told me they will need to drive the car a bit to "re-teach" it all shifting points. I'll update the board after I drive it myself.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM

Hey folks,

just to update you guys, the car is all fine now. The dealer replaced the valve body and the issues are gone. All good.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Yep! Agreed. I too believe there is an issue there! I have about 11k miles on my 2012 C63 PP now and I have noticed it for quite some time! I just chalked it up to driving with my heels on (NOT!)...It seemed "hoppy/hesitant" in 1-2 S+ mode from day one unless I was on it. It seems to be more pronounced on inclines or declines... Thanks to the guy who posted this thread. Now I don't think it's just me!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 AM

96 C220, 85 300D, 2012 C63 AMG
Ill add my experience..

2012 C63 AMG. MHP tuned, MHP headers
I dont notice any problems with my up-shifts. There solid and to the point. In C mode its very smooth. I expect S, S+, and M to have harder and crisper shifts even if it feels a bit rougher.

I do notice however my 2-1 downshift is oddly rough. Approaching a stop light/stop sign in S or S+ the trans will nicely rev match 4, to 3, to 2 but then to 1 it feels delayed then a hard shift down. Doesn't always happen either. Ive found ways to make it not happen if i just tap the gas pedal or manually tap the paddle down instead of letting it automatically do it. Id hate to want to take this in the dealer, especially with my modifications. Ill just go in and upgrade the valvebody if theres any chance they would put another stock one in. Weistec upgrade would be sufficient.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
crazy, Our c63 is used very lightly, however I will relate an incident that may have a clue for you. Immediately after changing the trans fluid ( diy this forum) I slowly drove to the mail box. As the trans shifted down for a speed bump into 1st there was a harsh engagement not felt before or since. During the flluid change per this forum the trans was shifted through the gates several times . Presumably to distribute fluid. After and since everything is silky. We drive in C, comfort. Is your trans fluid at the right level and who changed it?

edit: mileage 24K

Last edited by motoman; 05-26-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: mileage
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 PM

My fluid better be fine there are no leaks. Car has 5k miles.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by SoFlaC63
Ill add my experience..

2012 C63 AMG. MHP tuned, MHP headers
I dont notice any problems with my up-shifts. There solid and to the point. In C mode its very smooth. I expect S, S+, and M to have harder and crisper shifts even if it feels a bit rougher.

I do notice however my 2-1 downshift is oddly rough. Approaching a stop light/stop sign in S or S+ the trans will nicely rev match 4, to 3, to 2 but then to 1 it feels delayed then a hard shift down. Doesn't always happen either. Ive found ways to make it not happen if i just tap the gas pedal or manually tap the paddle down instead of letting it automatically do it. Id hate to want to take this in the dealer, especially with my modifications. Ill just go in and upgrade the valvebody if theres any chance they would put another stock one in. Weistec upgrade would be sufficient.
my 2012 is stock and it has done this since i purchased it. I think it is perfectly normal for the transmission in S+.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:33 PM

That's what I'm starting to think

Last edited by SoFlaC63; 05-28-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
anyone still experiencing random shifting issues? was there a fix? was it the valve body replacement?

i've had issues when the car is cold and it shifts from 5-6 and there is a slightly hesitation above 3000rpm if i recall... after the car is warmed up, it won't happen again.

and recently i've had another issue come up... this happens even when the car is fully warmed up... it's pretty random but happens between the 2-3 shift... usually after a full stop and then accelerating moderately... there is a slight bog and then it jerks forward since my foot is still on the pedal in that split second it happens...
Old 12-17-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Shift Delay

Sometimes but not every time (when I back out of a parking spot for example) when I go from reverse to drive there is a strange delay in the transmission entering gear. It's almost like the car enters neutral by accident and as I press the gas a the engine revs and then suddenly enters gear and gives a little jump.

I assume this is absolutely not normal behavior and that I need to take it to the dealership to have them look at the transmission, but just wanted some opinions before I do. Anyone else had this happen and might be able to shed some light on the problem? I do not want the dealer to coax me into paying for a tranny flush at 22k miles if not needed.

Also, it is worth mentioning that occasionally it gives me a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when leaving a stop sign.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
Sometimes but not every time (when I back out of a parking spot for example) when I go from reverse to drive there is a strange delay in the transmission entering gear. It's almost like the car enters neutral by accident and as I press the gas a the engine revs and then suddenly enters gear and gives a little jump.

I assume this is absolutely not normal behavior and that I need to take it to the dealership to have them look at the transmission, but just wanted some opinions before I do. Anyone else had this happen and might be able to shed some light on the problem? I do not want the dealer to coax me into paying for a tranny flush at 22k miles if not needed.

Also, it is worth mentioning that occasionally it gives me a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when leaving a stop sign.
Can anyone confirm that this is normal? Slipping clutch feel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting problems