C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Extended warranty from dealership???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roswell
Thnx for the reply Fung, your scenario makes sense. I guess it's easier to deal with the price of extended warranty at time of purchase. I will most likely end up buying it before my warranty expired as my car has low km & I'm afraid big repairs will arise after the 4 years.
The other thing to consider is prices may go up between now and when you decide to buy it, especially with the whole head gasket issue.

I recently got a quote for ~$5K for the 3yr/50k warranty (US). If i recall correctly, i was offered the same in the 3s when I bought my car (5/2010).

I'd lock it in if you know you are going to keep it the car.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by 315ER
The other thing to consider is prices may go up between now and when you decide to buy it, especially with the whole head gasket issue.

I recently got a quote for ~$5K for the 3yr/50k warranty (US). If i recall correctly, i was offered the same in the 3s when I bought my car (5/2010).

I'd lock it in if you know you are going to keep it the car.

this is quite true... looking at some of the older threads on this forum, we definitely see a price increase on warranty over the past couple of years. As well as price, I believe they play around with what is covered too.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I'm in Calgary AB Canada, and they've never moved a single dollar for me on extended warranty pricing. I've bought tons of cars from the same dealership, get discounts on parts, service, but never on extended warranty.

It seems to differ in the US, when I bought my CLK BS from NC, I was able to haggle on the CPO extended warranty over the phone and get a good discount.

If other Canadians are able to get extended warranty in Canada, that would be a nice to know. I'm going to be purchasing it on my black series because I'm definately keeping this car for a long time.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 PM

06 CTT-S
i'm being offered at $2795 for an additional year on top of the CPO warranty.. what do you guys think? can i still purchase this additional year before the CPO warranty expires? or it all depends on the dealer?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 PM

2012 C63 w/APX
Ok guys, I spoke to my buddy again who works for MB Toronto. Basically, the ELW have standard pricing when you sign up at delivery. They have a $400 markup. That's it. I managed to convince my dealer to drop the price by $260, but that's all they would come down. I decided to get the extended 3 yr for a couple reasons:
1. The price of warranty will definitely go up in 4 yrs (when my standard warranty expires)
2. I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years.
3. It should pay for itself with the many issues that will arise with having a hand built engine, not to mention AMG internals.
4. When I do eventually sell, I will most definitely be able to sell quicker knowing the car is still under warranty (warranty is fully transferable).

All in all, I think I made the right decision
Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
you did jag. peace of mind for a few more years is worth the $$ you paid
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
i'm being offered at $2795 for an additional year on top of the CPO warranty.. what do you guys think? can i still purchase this additional year before the CPO warranty expires? or it all depends on the dealer?
I know about this all too well. I just closed a deal on a CPO '09 C63, and the dealer really took a bath on the warranty since they essentially got their wires crossed, and committed to a deal they didn't mean to.

The 1 YR CPO Add-on warranty (for 2 years total of CPO warranty) dealer cost is about $2550. The 2 YR add-on (for 3 years total CPO warranty) dealer cost is $3990. They will usually charge $4500 or more if they can

What I ended up getting was the 2 YR add-on for the 1 YR price ($2550). I couldn't walk away from that (but would have if they reneged and went back to the $3990 price).

I would say push for a deal if you can, there is some wiggle room down to $2550 for the 1YR add-on.

Ohh - And food for thought: My 2003 C32 had an ELW when purchased new (I was 2nd owner), and never had any major issues (just fixed some stuff when I asked them to give 'er a once over before it expired in 2010 with 65K miles.) Maybe I was lucky as an AMG owner with no repairs, but that is why I now have a C63.

Last edited by OCJeff; 06-14-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 PM

06 CTT-S
OCJeff, got the same amount for +2 years extended warranty from the dealer i'm getting the car from.. however, that's the best price they can offer ($3990). +1 yr was $2650... i have until tomorrow to decide.. they said i can't extend the warranty no more before the CPO expires, is this true? i had a very good deal (i think, but you know dealers) on the purchasing the car (very good experience with the internet sales guy) but it seems now they are getting their money back if i go with this route.. as soon as i mentioned the head gasket issue the manager said that it will be better to have this extended warranty as the engine alone would cost $40k to replace if all goes bad! aarrgghh!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 AM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
OCJeff, got the same amount for +2 years extended warranty from the dealer i'm getting the car from.. however, that's the best price they can offer ($3990). +1 yr was $2650... i have until tomorrow to decide.. they said i can't extend the warranty no more before the CPO expires, is this true? i had a very good deal (i think, but you know dealers) on the purchasing the car (very good experience with the internet sales guy) but it seems now they are getting their money back if i go with this route.. as soon as i mentioned the head gasket issue the manager said that it will be better to have this extended warranty as the engine alone would cost $40k to replace if all goes bad! aarrgghh!
Yeah, $2650 sounds like about as low as they will go. What is the deal? What price, year, color, options, miles?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM

1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe

2012 C63 Coupe bought two days ago in Bay Area:

Extended warranty was over 5600 or just under 6k having a brain fart.

Wheel and tire warranty was 2650 I believe

Prepaid maintenance was just a hair under 1,500

So about 10 grand or a little more is what I paid.

Im already going to cancel to prepaid maintenance and probably wheel and tire warranty.

Having a salesman I worked with before and who I have referred people to, check their pricing on the MB warranty to see if they gave me the standard or at least acceptable markup.

If they screwed me because of the deal I got on the car, I'm cancelling that as well and taking my chances with a third party.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM

2012 C63 w/APX
Originally Posted by flomofo
2012 C63 Coupe bought two days ago in Bay Area:

Extended warranty was over 5600 or just under 6k having a brain fart.

Wheel and tire warranty was 2650 I believe

Prepaid maintenance was just a hair under 1,500

So about 10 grand or a little more is what I paid.

Im already going to cancel to prepaid maintenance and probably wheel and tire warranty.

Having a salesman I worked with before and who I have referred people to, check their pricing on the MB warranty to see if they gave me the standard or at least acceptable markup.

If they screwed me because of the deal I got on the car, I'm cancelling that as well and taking my chances with a third party.
The only problem with some third party warranties is if the company will still be in business 3 years from now. I find the best way to go (with ELW) is always from MB. No hassles, no stress. Having said that...the prices you've been quoted seem a bit high. Where are you located?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 PM

1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe

Northern CA but I bought it at Pleasanton MB

Got a call back from my other sales guy who checked with finance:

2yr/100k was just under $4,000 I believe (honestly hard to remember as I focused in on the next)

3yr/100k was around $5,4XX

If I got the 3yr/100k then it is close but still over what the other deal said was standard for pricing. Its way over if I have the 2yr/100k.

I also didnt know I had that same mileage but different year as an option, the extra year is worthless as I'll be close to 100k by 6 or 7 years.