MotorTrend teases GT-R vs C63 AMG Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by mainly
its a fail if the black series cant compete with the gtr. especially around the track. its the flagship offering from amg and is 20-30K dollars more expensive. and im sure its probably no more comfortable to drive than the gtr.

obviously it looks classier, but...
imo the GTR was designed purely for speed whereas the C63 BS has a focus for speed but also luxury. wont be surprised if the BS lost out.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
GT-R is ugly, exterior and interior. Plus at the end of the day, it's still a Nissan... no matter how fast it is.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by - Guilty -
GT-R is ugly, exterior and interior. Plus at the end of the day, it's still a Nissan... no matter how fast it is.
Might be my upbringing affecting it but I like how it looks. The GTR designers modeled it after the face of a Gundam

When I was in Tokyo the year b4 they launched the GTR, they had a black one on display at the corner of a fashion district.... only time I didnt complain and bugged my wife to hurry up with her shopping
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by Fung63
imo the GTR was designed purely for speed whereas the C63 BS has a focus for speed but also luxury. wont be surprised if the BS lost out.

well the c63 black series is pretty light on luxury.(no leather dash).

probably more plastic on the interior than the gtr.

so imo all that extra money should have been put towards making it perform along with any car in its category or price range.

and what else is the point of the black series if it isnt an over the top version of an already performance oriented model???

yes i agree, the gtr is ugly.

but i dont really think this c63 bs is worthy of being called a black series, aside from a little bit of aggressive bodywork and an extra 20-30 hp, for an extra 40K!

what really is it?

not that im trying to make a case for the gtr, i hate the look of them and would never own one, but for the price of that c63 bs, you should be getting both, the best in performance AND the best in luxury.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
over here we see 3 seconds flat 0 to 100km/h on a 2013 GTR and 4.2 for a C63 Black. wouldnt even be a race in a straight line, we wouldnt see which way the GTR went. Mind you, you will find the GTR parked outside the chiropractor's office quite often.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Harold1898
over here we see 3 seconds flat 0 to 100km/h on a 2013 GTR and 4.2 for a C63 Black. wouldnt even be a race in a straight line, we wouldnt see which way the GTR went. Mind you, you will find the GTR parked outside the chiropractor's office quite often.
Spot on.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
its a fail if the black series cant compete with the gtr. especially around the track. its the flagship offering from amg and is 20-30K dollars more expensive. and im sure its probably no more comfortable to drive than the gtr.
and what else is the point of the black series if it isnt an over the top version of an already performance oriented model???
The CBS makes me feel awake and alive when I drive it. The GTR does not. The GTR will rape everything at the track in laptimes consistently. The CBS will have you grinning ear to ear, and forget about laptimes. That's the point of the CBS. 2 different cars, 2 different purposes. It's not like the CBS is a slow car, just that nobody really cares about it when you're ripping around in one. The GTR was designed to conquer laptimes, and it's awesome at it. But man is it an easy car to drive, and just feels the same after 10 mins.

I've had offers to buy my CBS for well over what I paid, enough to get 2 GTRs. Didn't take much to turn it down. For me, CBS is way more fun. 10 years ago, I'd be all over the GTR, when all I did was compete at any solo event, track days and all I cared about was nailing that perfect lap.

Last edited by rage2; 06-14-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

also dont forget.... on top of being faster and performing better than the C63 in pretty much every aspect.... it has better gas mileage to boot

but it doesnt matter if the GTR is faster than the C63, the MB brand + the design and luxury of the C63 is why I picked it over the nissan.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by rage2
The CBS makes me feel awake and alive when I drive it. The GTR does not. The GTR will rape everything at the track in laptimes consistently. The CBS will have you grinning ear to ear, and forget about laptimes. That's the point of the CBS. 2 different cars, 2 different purposes. It's not like the CBS is a slow car, just that nobody really cares about it when you're ripping around in one. The GTR was designed to conquer laptimes, and it's awesome at it. But man is it an easy car to drive, and just feels the same after 10 mins.

I've had offers to buy my CBS for well over what I paid, enough to get 2 GTRs. Didn't take much to turn it down. For me, CBS is way more fun. 10 years ago, I'd be all over the GTR, when all I did was compete at any solo event, track days and all I cared about was nailing that perfect lap.
someone that gets it....
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by rage2

yeah but fun factor is subjective, gtr owners may say the same about their gtr...

what you said still doesnt really negate the points i made.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by propain
I would think it has race start. I guess time will tell. 11.9 on street tires on the street would be a good time for the BS. I cant imagine it getting much under that.

My C63 even with a tune on street tires on the street couldnt get under a 12 Vbox. It just spins to much.
No, I agree... On the street, anything better than 12.1-11.9 would be really good and very hard to do, but around that range should be do-able.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 06-15-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 AM

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series, Magno Alanite Grey
I would never try to race a GT-R, ever, unless I had a Weistec SC system, which I have been speaking with them about a supercharger, but anyhow..... yeah, I think the BS is just elegant, and beautiful, and more rare then a GT-R. I know the GT-R is faster, its a very well engineered car.

The C63BS, It doesn't need to go faster, it does what it does just right and with the perfect balance, and it is truly an enjoyable car from the time you step in till the time you step out, I giggle all the way home and it sticks to the ground so well that I am flying around in the cabin when it goes over the surface of a wavy highway, it just hugs and grips and wont let go, until you ask her to. I drive it from 1am-2am when the streets are dead. Any other time and its a tease.

Its just a different world of incomparable fun.

Both great cars, the BS really is in a category of its own against all of its so called competition. There just isn't anything like it. I thought it may be similar to my 2012 C63 sedan, boy was I wrong. Its nothing like the sedan, at all. I had to re-learn all the limits of the car all over again.

-F
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series, Magno Alanite Grey
yeah but fun factor is subjective, gtr owners may say the same about their gtr...

what you said still doesnt really negate the points i made.
Too bad we cant "LIKE" posts on here. Only "like" the entire thread.....

Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 AM

e92 m3 2012 c63 amg coupe
gtr

Australian motor magazine tested a group of cars for its annual BANG for BUCKS comparison and the gtr was top dog, nothing else came close for the money. By memory there were 8 jurnos doing the testing and at the end of the test period they were asked what would they buy if it was there money, Only one out of the 8 picked the gtr. Every one, liked the performance, but no one would buy one or could live with one. The c63amg coupe was the car most favoured if they were spending there own money. Make whatever from this that you wish.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 AM

c63
Originally Posted by melbourne888
Australian motor magazine tested a group of cars for its annual BANG for BUCKS comparison and the gtr was top dog, nothing else came close for the money. By memory there were 8 jurnos doing the testing and at the end of the test period they were asked what would they buy if it was there money, Only one out of the 8 picked the gtr. Every one, liked the performance, but no one would buy one or could live with one. The c63amg coupe was the car most favoured if they were spending there own money. Make whatever from this that you wish.
my feelings exactly after having test drove quite a few cars including M's, a GTR and finally the c63
Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by callmiro
You can't disqualify just because it shoots down your point

Even the cars that are runnin 11.0s -11.10s are trappin 125 so the only difference is the 60 foot
This makes no sense at all. I am disqualify your first link because its not a US spec car. It was a Japan Spec track pack car. Not the car that went to production. The second link you posted was the ONLY 10.8 that I have seen the 2013 GTR do.

Motortrend got the US spec car about 2 weeks later and got no better than 11.1 I believe.

The 60' is already about as low as its going to get on almost every run I posted. 1.65's. Good luck getting a 1.5's 60'. The 10.8 that GTR got was using race fuel or something because we still havent seen another 2013 GTR reproduce that time yet. Maybe they shaved some weight. The 60' was 1.61. The vidoes I posted of 11's were 1.63. No way 2 100's are gaining 1.3 10th's off the 1/4.

Like I said, show me another one. Otherwise it was a lightning strike and most likely they dropped weight or ran race fuel to get it done.

Last edited by propain; 06-15-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by propain
This makes no sense at all. I am disqualify your first link because its not a US spec car. It was a Japan Spec track pack car. Not the car that went to production. The second link you posted was the ONLY 10.8 that I have seen the 2013 GTR do.

Motortrend got the US spec car about 2 weeks later and got no better than 11.1 I believe.

The 60' is already about as low as its going to get on almost every run I posted. 1.65's. Good luck getting a 1.5's 60'. The 10.8 that GTR got was using race fuel or something because we still havent seen another 2013 GTR reproduce that time yet. Maybe they shaved some weight. The 60' was 1.61. The vidoes I posted of 11's were 1.63. No way 2 100's are gaining 1.3 10th's off the 1/4.

Like I said, show me another one. Otherwise it was a lightning strike and most likely they dropped weight or ran race fuel to get it done.
It's still a GT-R.....its still stock....and it still ran 10.80's.....

2 100's in the 60....which increases exponentially at the end of the quarter especially on a car hookin with all 4 wheels.... plus higher octane fuel can shave a 10th no problem on a twin turbo....

we're talkin about a 10th....not half a second
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I own a GTR- fastest car Ive had and its not remotely as fast as some of those crazy 900-1000 hp GTR's. But its not all about speed and acceleration- its about driving dynamics too. The connection between driver and car is important to me. It sounds like a load of crap but after owning so many nice cars its really quite appropriate.

I have not learned all so much from driving the GTR except that I can boldly go where I have not gone before. The GTR makes a basic driver good, and a good driver even better IMHO.

But driving it doesnt create an experience that I ultimately want. I have the car because it does a few things in an outstanding manner. I am over the love or hate looks but it still doesnt inspire me like the Porsche. I really have learned chassis response, driving dynamics, and how to be a better driver in my 3 Turbos I have owned. To me if its all about the faster car, Ill send my GTR to AMS or buy UG Lambo and have one of the fastest street cars out but... its not.

I look forward to my BS purchase and I have no doubt Ill enjoy the driveability of the car. If someone in a GTR lines up and beats me-- so what. Ill look damn good losing and go home smiling.

There is always something faster but that doesnt make it better.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by melbourne888
This is spot on. the N/A 6.2 engine is really a dream and quite possibly the last of its kind. I wish all our engines live on in good health so we can enjoy it for years and years to come.

Originally Posted by Vic55

I look forward to my BS purchase and I have no doubt Ill enjoy the driveability of the car. If someone in a GTR lines up and beats me-- so what. Ill look damn good losing and go home smiling.
Gratz on the prucahse Vic, what are the specs and timeframe to delivery?

Last edited by Fung63; 06-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM

72 450SL
Benz forum CBS > GT-R

GTR forum GT-R > CBS

go figure...

I can't for the life of me understand why Merc didn't put the V8TT in the CBS.

Last edited by 200onthedash; 06-15-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Fung63
This is spot on. the N/A 6.2 engine is really a dream and quite possibly the last of its kind. I wish all our engines live on in good health so we can enjoy it for years and years to come.

Gratz on the prucahse Vic, what are the specs and timeframe to delivery?
Im looking at next week if the stars align--- LOL

Originally Posted by 200onthedash
Benz forum CBS > GT-R

GTR forum GT-R > CBS

go figure...

I can't for the life of me understand why Merc sisn't put the V8TT in the CBS.
Me neither but the M156 engine gets its swan song with this incredible car.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM

335i
Originally Posted by 200onthedash
Benz forum CBS > GT-R

GTR forum GT-R > CBS

go figure...

I can't for the life of me understand why Merc didn't put the V8TT in the CBS.
tbh the M157 doesn't really fit the character of the car.. not as raucous or revvy, i'd much prefer NA for a car like the BS

this is why i was disappointed to hear the C BS would only come with 510 horses and not 550 or something along those lines
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup
tbh the M157 doesn't really fit the character of the car.. not as raucous or revvy, i'd much prefer NA for a car like the BS

this is why i was disappointed to hear the C BS would only come with 510 horses and not 550 or something along those lines
I know MBZ left some ponies out in their std C63's hence the tuners came out of the woodworks but I wonder if there is anything left in the BS?

It would be nice to gain maybe 30 whp with a tune to get to the 550 crank hp...
Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 PM

335i
Originally Posted by Vic55
I know MBZ left some ponies out in their std C63's hence the tuners came out of the woodworks but I wonder if there is anything left in the BS?

It would be nice to gain maybe 30 whp with a tune to get to the 550 crank hp...
IIRC the usual gains out of a standard C63 pushes 520 crank hp right? assuming it's the same engine as the P31 C's there isn't much I'd say... evosport picked up a BS if memory serves me right, we'll just see what they can do about it...

even at this point, i was hoping MB would do a bit more work to push the output to SLS territory to justify the price, and we know they can considering an LTH+tune C63 makes around that power, correct me if I'm wrong

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend teases GT-R vs C63 AMG Black Series