Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by msheredy
What's that smell??

oh yea

Seriously though...
The smell? It must have been under your chair!!!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e-boring-cars/
http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/pr...le-design.html
http://www.automedia.com/Pedestrian_...sm20050401ps/3
http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cg...ntext=meng_fac
http://speautomotive.com/SPEA_CD/SPE...kmaster_ge.pdf
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv.../05-0304-W.pdf
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv21/09-0356.pdf

Here is another fact, the A 156 050 02 25 valve tappets can be purchased from oediscountparts.com for $16.50 each. About a $270 saving from Weistec (sorry Weaistec, you do good stuff).
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Today time allowed us to get into the serious matters. OB from Chip Logic came over and the stripping commenced.

The variable cam gears without chains and the double gears locked in place. We did some marking with some funky lumenous green nail polish.

Camshafts off. More marking with funky pink. At this point I am wondering how expensive the nail polish I am using is. Shhhhh my wife wont know.

Close up of the valve buckets. There was no visible wear on any of the buckets accept for one which had a irregullar dimple. I am happy I am upgrading these.

Proof that even a naturally aspirated car can do with a oil catch can. The amount of oil grime in the intake ports is incredible. I am happy I got the Weistec oil catch can.

Timing chain cover removed.

Heads are off. Notice the burn patter on the pistons.

Spun the motor around and removed the crank craddle and walla we get to see crankshaft and rods.

16 bolts later and the end results.

I am really starting to be impressed with the guys at AMG. The bottom end looked like it had just been assembled. Bearings look new with no wear and the cylinders look brand new. The bottom end is second to none in terms of strength to any motor we have opened.

Next off we going to the engineers.

Last edited by GeorgeSmooth; 07-26-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
What is the significance -- if any -- of the "burn patter" on the piston tops? Is it caused by pre-detonation?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
What is the significance -- if any -- of the "burn patter" on the piston tops? Is it caused by pre-detonation?
The stock car runs very rich. So over 25000km the black carbon build was formed. About 3000mm ago I started running 12.6afr which seems to have cleaned the pustons a bit. Either that or the previous owner drove like a pansy
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth
Today time allowed us to get into the serious matters. OB from Chip Logic came over and the stripping commenced.

The variable cam gears without chains and the double gears locked in place. We did some marking with some funky lumenous green nail polish.

Camshafts off. More marking with funky pink. At this point I am wondering how expensive the nail polish I am using is. Shhhhh my wife wont know.

Close up of the valve buckets. There was no visible wear on any of the buckets accept for one which had a irregullar dimple. I am happy I am upgrading these.

Proof that even a naturally aspirated car can do with a oil catch can. The amount of oil grime in the intake ports is incredible. I am happy I got the Weistec oil catch can.

Timing chain cover removed.

Heads are off. Notice the burn patter on the pistons.

Spun the motor around and removed the crank craddle and walla we get to see crankshaft and rods.

16 bolts later and the end results.

I am really starting to be impressed with the guys at AMG. The bottom end looked like it had just been assembled. Bearings look new with no wear and the cylinders look brand new. The bottom end is second to none in terms of strength to any motor we have opened.

Next off we going to the engineers.
I really appreciate you going through the effort of documenting this. Excellent commentary. Some day, I may trying to do the same thing. Just need to get out of CA so I can put on LTH.
The advice on the catch can is good. I have been tempted to do this mod with the Weistec product.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
The stock car runs very rich. So over 25000km the black carbon build was formed. About 3000mm ago I started running 12.6afr which seems to have cleaned the pustons a bit. Either that or the previous owner drove like a pansy
Thanks for the info.

Also, I think I made a mistake with the use of the term "pre-detonation." What I meant to say was "detonation." I was confusing this term with pre-ignition.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
I really appreciate you going through the effort of documenting this. Excellent commentary. Some day, I may trying to do the same thing. Just need to get out of CA so I can put on LTH.
The advice on the catch can is good. I have been tempted to do this mod with the Weistec product.
Same here. I definitely want to install this device. I'm just concerned about potential warranty issues.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
I stand corrected The reason sounded so farfetched. That and you never know if someone's just talking outta their as$ these days.

Looks like it was me this time.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM

C63
I stand corrected The reason sounded so farfetched. That and you never know if someone's just talking outta their as$ these days.

As a matter of interest and off topic Jaguar had to instal fast rising shocks on some models to pass the pedestrian clearance regulations.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 S500
Can't wait to see the outcome!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fair enough. I really try to put up useful info. I have 3 DIY on the W211 AMG forum.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Yeah I don't think Jon2007E63P30 is trolling! lol

I follow his DIY's and he has been plenty of help in many other topics.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250

What did you use to lock the cam gears. I used an allen head bolt to lock them really tight, it looks like you may have used a regular hex bolt in the back of the gear cause the teeth are off a little. It's a PITA to get those teeth lined up again sometimes. The allen head fits in the hole perfectly holding in tight and a regular bolt gives it some slack allowing it to shift a little.

You don't really need to mark anything when you take it apart, it can only go back inane way with the Mercedes tools and I don't think there is any way that you can line everything up without the tools. It is really a ridiculous way of doing it but it works.

It's awesome to see you guys taking it apart though, good luck with everything and have fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Top stuuf George, keep the updates coming.

I am also glad that I fitted the Weistec Catch Can, build up is crazy.
What can be done to clean up this grime short of stripping intake?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
What did you use to lock the cam gears. I used an allen head bolt to lock them really tight, it looks like you may have used a regular hex bolt in the back of the gear cause the teeth are off a little. It's a PITA to get those teeth lined up again sometimes. The allen head fits in the hole perfectly holding in tight and a regular bolt gives it some slack allowing it to shift a little.

You don't really need to mark anything when you take it apart, it can only go back inane way with the Mercedes tools and I don't think there is any way that you can line everything up without the tools. It is really a ridiculous way of doing it but it works.

It's awesome to see you guys taking it apart though, good luck with everything and have fun.
I beg to differ. The teeth will always be off. The off amount is the spring tension allowance. So if you pull the small tooth back to aline it that is basically the tension. As long as the spring loaded tooth doesnt move a whole fixed tooth back you good to go.
Here is a picture of the actual Mercedes Tool for the guys wondering what we carrying on about. You can see here too the teeth never align exactly.

As for the Mercedes tools its just a way to make things easy for assembly. If you understand mechanics and you mark where everything is at a set point i.e. in the case of Mercedes at 40 degrees before TDC then you good to go with no special tools.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
George, where are you getting all this info on cam degrees, etc. Is there markings on the two gears to line them up again if the tool let go? I am trying to get a better understand of how those cam adjusters work.

How did your Intake Manifold look when removed, was there oil in it?

I hope to do this job one day in the future! Awesome work once again.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
I beg to differ. The teeth will always be off. The off amount is the spring tension allowance. So if you pull the small tooth back to aline it that is basically the tension. As long as the spring loaded tooth doesnt move a whole fixed tooth back you good to go.
Here is a picture of the actual Mercedes Tool for the guys wondering what we carrying on about. You can see here too the teeth never align exactly.

As for the Mercedes tools its just a way to make things easy for assembly. If you understand mechanics and you mark where everything is at a set point i.e. in the case of Mercedes at 40 degrees before TDC then you good to go with no special tools.
I didn't use that tool. I purchased it but I found it useless. If you screw a 6mm bolt (it may have been 4mm) into the whole that the tool is in (or the other hole in the back) you will hold the front and rear of the gear together. That's where I was talking about using an allen head bolt because once you look at it you will see what I am talking about. You can try using that tool but you may find what i am telling you to be a lot easier. Just remember to take the bolt out once you crank the engine.

I beg to differ on putting it back together without the tools though, I really do not believe that there is any way to line everything up without the tools. As a matter of fact I actually found it a lot easier by using the cam holding tool on both cams at the same time so I ordered an extra one of those.

If, when you are putting it together, you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
If you screw a 6mm bolt (it may have been 4mm) into the whole that the tool is in (or the other hole in the back) you will hold the front and rear of the gear together.

I beg to differ on putting it back together without the tools though, I really do not believe that there is any way to line everything up without the tools.

If, when you are putting it together, you have any questions please feel free to ask.
We used a bolt that went straight through.

Will try putting it together without Merc tools. If all else fails will have to get some special tools.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We used a bolt that went straight through.

Will try putting it together without Merc tools. If all else fails will have to get some special tools.

Thanks.
it took e a couple of times to figure out the idiotic tool but if if you need any help don't hesitate to ask me.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM

CLK 63 amg
Any news on this??
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM

home the point

Looks like they are praying to the car.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 PM

2012 C63 Coupe. Eurocharged, Charcoal Filters Removed, R-S3 Tires
WOW! Are you guys sure you can put it back together?

Cool project!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 PM

C63
Originally Posted by clk63DK
Any news on this??
I am on a month long vacation in Europe so will start assembly early in Sept. Transmission is at Weistec and they will be ready to ship the charger same time.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
It's normal. The engineer that saw it said that the "clean" area is where the piston take the most force and after looking at the bottom of the Weistec pistons he gave quite a few positive remarks in the way they where strengthened.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts
C63 AMG

Not to hijack George's incredible thread but since the dirty deed has already been done I remembered reading this in the LA Times road test of the 2013 SL earlier this year:

The 2013 SL's shape ends previous versions' evolution toward a sleeker profile. The car now sports a blunt, upright front bumper and grille. This moves the impact zone higher to reduce knee and ankle injuries to pedestrians. Consider that a person getting hit at the hips can bend sideways in ways they can't if they are hit in the legs.

The hood itself also sits higher because more space is now mandated between it and the engine underneath. This provides somewhat of a cushioned landing for the unfortunate soul you're relocating from the crosswalk.

Thus, the SL is undoubtedly safer for pedestrians. But at a cost. Its square profile and oversized headlights give it a bug-eyed face not unlike that adorably British Geico Gecko. The rear end's lines are more sleek but its silhouette is saddled with too-big taillights that make the back end bulbous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some pictures of my Weistec 3.0 garage build