C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG: The Jalopnik Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG: The Jalopnik Review

The MCT definitely hurt the score. I thought audio would have been higher given the exhaust note of the car! Also, the price comparison I found to be skewed as a similarly equipped M3 is much more expensive up here in Canada. The base price of the M3 is already $6,000 more than the C63 here with similar features.

http://jalopnik.com/5926401/2012-mer...alopnik-review

While the BMW M3 was shopping for a new polo shirt at J. Crew and the Audi RS4 was home studying for its SATs, the Mercedes C63 AMG was the car that was hanging out under the bleachers smoking cigarettes and trying to hook up with all the cheerleaders.
But is that reputation earned or just an outdated stereotype? I recently spent a few days with a brand new C63 to find out.
(Full Disclosure: Mercedes wanted me to drive the new AMG C63 so bad they dropped one off outside the office with a full tank of gas and told me to enjoy it. I used that full tank of gas to make a lot of noise which scared numerous woodland creatures and fully grown adults.)
When the M3 was first released, it was a revelation. What was once BMW's bread and butter small car was completely transformed into a track crushing monster. Naturally, Mercedes and Audi followed suit with cars like the 190 Cosworth and RS2. Even though they were interesting cars with a lot to love, they were never able to match the M3 in every category.
Over the years, Mercedes has taken a number of swipes at the M3 in the form of the AMG C-Class. Each one has come close, but they've only been flesh wounds. While the firepower under the hood has always been massive, it also left the Merc in a cloud of tire smoke every time it tried to keep up with an M3 in the twisty bits.
But with the latest generation AMG C-Class, Mercedes realized that what they need to do is embrace the car's "wild child" reputation and eschew their dreams of beating all the dynamics of the M3. The latest weapon, the V8-powered C63, is bad fast in a straight line, nearly terrifying around corners, and makes a noise that could cause sovereign nations to immediately go to war.

EXTERIOR (7/10)

Staying with the "wild child" theme, the C63 wears enough body jewelry to fit right in at a Suicide Girls SXSW party. It's been bedazzled and pierced with fender flares, vents, carbon fiber, chrome, LEDs and badges galore. It can be a bit much to take in.
Even though I tend to prefer performance cars with an understated exterior like the RS4 or a purposeful look like the M3, I have to give Mercedes props for making the outward appearance of the C63 match the equally over-the-top driving experience.
INTERIOR (8/10)

Full size

Having spent some time earlier this year in an S-Class, I see some shared bits within the family. That is not a bad thing at all. The instruments are easy to read, Mercedes' COMAND multimedia interface is simple to understand and use, and the wheel — which is covered in Alcantara — is the perfect size and feels great in your hands.

But the best part? The seats. With adjustable bolsters and lumbar, it's a comfortable place to sit all day but they can hold you in when you decide to get aggressive and slide the car around.
ACCELERATION (8/10)

I won't mince words. The C63 is freaking fast. And the car I was given had the AMG Development Package which is good for an additional 30 horsepower. It gets to 60 in a claimed 4.3 seconds which I believe may actually be conservative. With 481 horsepower and 443 lb-ft of torque hitting the ground through narrow 255-series 18-inch tires, it has a bit of trouble successfully transforming the power into forward motion in first and second.
It does have launch control, which Mercedes calls RACE START (No, I'm not shouting, it's supposed to be in all caps). I'll have to take their word that it works wonders because I didn't have a clear enough piece of road to try it. Plus, I didn't feel like getting a ticket.
BRAKING (7/10)

I don't think this car could stop quicker if you drove it straight into a brick wall. The AMG Compound Braking System that comes as part of the Development Package is truly fantastic.
While the performance is fantastic, the feel is lacking a tad. I'd like a more progressive pedal instead of instant bite from the brakes, which is what I've found from other AMG products as well. Pedal feel here is an improvement than others I've driven, but it still feels a bit like an on/off switch instead of the analog dial I desire.
RIDE (8/10)

Full size

The suspension of the C63 is nearly the roadgoing equivalent of a touring car. This is one firm chassis that doesn't let you forget it is when you are on backroads. Instead of floating around with no connection to the road, the C63 feels like it's plugged in. You feel bumps and imperfection. It might be closer to "rock hard" than "pillow soft" on the tuning scale, but I like it that way.

Yet on the highway, it somehow feels like a big, comfortable, and slightly stiff Mercedes. It glides along with no worries. It's like a Jekyll and Hyde car in how it behaves on different surfaces. AMG has done a great job on the tuning. Kudos.

• Engine: 6.2-liter V8
  • Power: 451 HP (481 HP w/AMG pack) / 443 LB-FT
  • Transmission: 7-speed AMG SpeedShift MCT Semi Auto
  • 0-60 Time: 4.4 seconds (4.3 w/ AMG pack)
  • Top Speed: 155 (174 MPH w/ AMG pack)
  • Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Curb Weight: 3924 lbs
  • Seating: 5
  • MPG: City 13 HWY 23 Combined 19
  • MSRP: Starts at $58,930 (As tested: $81,765)

HANDLING (7/10)

So the ride is great, but does it actually handle? Yes and no.
The steering is a revelation. Feel is great and the Merc is neutral on turn-in, which makes it quick to dart to the apex. But get on the power — even marginally — mid-corner, and the tail will step out. This is one time when you'll be glad to have all sorts of electronic aids to keep it in check.
Now, the brief slides are eminently controllable, but they are also dangerous. They also don't make the C63 the fastest way to get from A to B. In reality, the car shouldn't score this high since it wouldn't get close to keeping up with an M3 through the twisties, but it's just so much fun to toss and slide around that I didn't want to get out of it.
GEARBOX (5/10)

The C63 falls apart here. The AMG Speedshift MCT is infuriating. There are four modes for it, C, S, S+, and M. As you probably guessed, C is "Comfort," S is "Sport," S+ is "Sport Plus," and M is "Manual." I kept the car in Manual most of the time since I like to have control. Guess what? It doesn't listen to you.
It will do a second gear start in Comfort, but not in Manual. It won't always upshift when you want. It will pull 50 MPH in 7th gear in Comfort, but not in Manual. It will downshift when you don't want it to. Downshifts don't blip properly and aren't all that smooth. Thankfully, it won't upshift for you in manual mode. Upshifts are smooth, crisp, and fast, so long as you shift when it's ready to let you.
AUDIO (8/10)

The harman/kardon stereo is fantastic. I try to listen to the same song in each car I test to accurately judge the sound system, and Guns N' Roses' November Rain simply sounds outstanding in the Merc.
But only listen to the radio if you have to. The exhaust note of AMG's 6.2 liter V8 is simply amazing, it sounds like a Norse God of thunder...and it's when he's angry. At idle, it's subdued, but just poke it a little, and a booming rumble fills the cabin and scares children for miles in every direction.
TOYS (7/10)

For the lower end of the Benz spectrum, there are still a number of great toys on board like park distance control, satellite radio, great nav system, satellite weather and traffic updates, voice control, keyless start, a locking differential, bi-xenon headlights, rearview camera and a hard drive to store music.
Not too shabby.
VALUE (6/10)

Full size

The C63 starts at $58,930, which isn't awful for all the performance. But then you realize that a lot of stuff you want, like the AMG package, the seats, the differential, COMAND, and others, are options. And they aren't cheap options. The equipment on the C63 I tested brought the price up to $81,765. That's one expensive C-Class.

And when you think about it, you can buy the insane, V10-powered E60 M5 for less than that while a comparably equipped M3 comes in at $76,000. With huge power, crazy handling, massive sounds, and a big price, you'd almost have to be insane to buy the AMG. That's why I want one.

Last edited by Illusive; 07-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Interesting... It seems like he was a little conservative with his ratings.... We all know what its like to drive! I think he really got the value rating wrong... its an AMG 6.2L engine... in a car at this price tag! Thats unbelievable value to me!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I don't agree with some of his ratings. Acceleration 8/10 is too conservative. Handling 7/10 and saying "it wouldn't get close to keeping up with an M3 through the twisties," is just being a hater.

The C63 has beaten the M3 on some road course tracks.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
I agree with the MCT comments for sure. The car is definitely a better "value" for us Canadians because it is cheaper (by a lot) than the M3 here. In the US, it's a different story.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
yeah in the us a fully loaded m3 is cheaper i think.

also agree with MCT. i wouldnt say i hate it but i dislike it
Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM

E190
Man, I just have to say I LOVE your review style!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 PM

Audi
Isn't MCT an improvement from the previous years transmission? I thought the last one was pretty responsive in the areas he was complaining about, is this not the case?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by mrlogan
Isn't MCT an improvement from the previous years transmission? I thought the last one was pretty responsive in the areas he was complaining about, is this not the case?
It is an improvement over previous auto trannies but still a LONG way behind a true dual clutch transmission like the BMW's M-DCT, Porsche's PDK or Audi's DSG. The MCT is still a traditional automatic (with some improvements) whereas the competition are using automated manual transmissions that are lightening fast and really responsive. MB offers a real DCT transmission but you have to buy an SLS to get it
Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 PM

C63 AMG Coupe
In the words of Kimi, "I don't give a s**t about what Jalopnik says." All the editors on that site are clowns.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I don't feel the need to read reviews to justify (to myself) why I got a C63. Only journos I like reading/watching are Tiff and Harris.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Just thought it was an interesting review. Interesting to see how Jalopnik's new rating system is working, the C63 got one point less than the new Jag XJ and Cherokee SRT8. We all know why we bought this vehicle, I know I didn't based on reviews from journalists!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:10 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sbce90
I don't feel the need to read reviews to justify (to myself) why I got a C63. Only journos I like reading/watching are Tiff and Harris.
So true! The two are really the only ones I put any stock in. And Chris Harris more so than Tiff, honestly.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
I disagree with the ratings given in this review, especially regarding the MCT. Our MCT tranny is very responsive and accurate as long as you use it properly. If you are driving daily in the city just to go to work keep it on C mode. If you are at the track or in an open road use the appropriate settings that fit your skill, the M mode although appears simple to use needs some time to learn to blip properly again depending on the situation you are in or else let the computer in S and S+ mode do its work. Don't be driving it around the city and putting it manual -jerking the car and then complain that it does not start in 2nd. The MCT is in fact slower in milliseconds when compared to real dual transmissions when use in M mode from the time you pull on the shifter until it actually engages. But the actual shift between gears are still super quick specially in high speeds, it was designed this way to give you the best of both worlds daily and in track days.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
I disagree with the ratings given in this review, especially regarding the MCT. Our MCT tranny is very responsive and accurate as long as you use it properly. If you are driving daily in the city just to go to work keep it on C mode. If you are at the track or in an open road use the appropriate settings that fit your skill, the M mode although appears simple to use needs some time to learn to blip properly again depending on the situation you are in or else let the computer in S and S+ mode do its work. Don't be driving it around the city and putting it manual -jerking the car and then complain that it does not start in 2nd. The MCT is in fact slower in milliseconds when compared to real dual transmissions when use in M mode from the time you pull on the shifter until it actually engages. But the actual shift between gears are still super quick specially in high speeds, it was designed this way to give you the best of both worlds daily and in track days.
The MCT is indeed very fast and a very good transmission. However, if you have spent any time with a really well sorted DCT, I think you would agree it is the weak spot of the car in comparison... everything is relative. There are times when the car doesn't shift when instructed or there is a delay. Skipping multiple gears is very slow (a single gear is fast). For daily driving around town it is great and more than adequate but for demanding track driving it is clearly a step behind a DCT in responsiveness and flexibility. The best way I can describe it is that a DCT actually feels like a manual transmission but without a clutch pedal. The MCT feels like a very fast automatic. I do think the MCT is a very good transmission for what it is but, like many who have owned a true DCT before this, I really miss it and wish MB would have not short cutted the transmission. Part of the disappointment, for me, is that the car is otherwise so amazing and as good or better than the M3 (IMO) so it is too bad MB didn't seal the deal with a proper transmission.

It's like having an amazing girlfriend... sweet, great body, huge sex drive, encourages you to hang out with your buddies, doesn't spend a lot of money, always in a good mood... but she has a big crooked nose and it drives you nuts because it is the only thing that keeps her from being perfect.

Last edited by gthal; 07-22-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by gthal
It's like having an amazing girlfriend... sweet, great body, huge sex drive, encourages you to hang out with your buddies, doesn't spend a lot of money, always in a good mood... but she has a big crooked nose and it drives you nuts because it is the only thing that keeps her from being perfect.
None of us would kick that out of bed because of the nose... and I think that is why people still buy and love their AMGs...
Old 07-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
So if I buy a new MY 12' C63 with the MCT will I like it as much as the Trans I had in my 09'?

In my 09' I loved the down shift blips and the fact that the 09' trans in manual mode worked like an automatic trans with a manual valve body (MVB). I liked the face you could lug the motor down to say 1500-2000 RPM in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear and floor it without a down shift override and use the torque of the motor and rev it out. I hate cars the offer paddles / manual modes, then override you and down shift anyway. If I get another C63 I dont want to loose all the things I loved about the 09' trans.

-Troy

Last edited by Glock Guru; 07-22-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM

2012 C63
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
So if I buy a new MY 12' C63 with the MCT will I like it as much as the Trans I had in my 09'?

In my 09' I loved the down shift blips and the fact that the 09' trans in manual mode worked like an automatic trans with a manual valve body (MVB). I liked the face you could lug the motor down to say 1500-2000 RPM in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear and floor it without a down shift override and use the torque of the motor and rev it out. I hate cars the offer paddles / manual modes, then override you and down shift anyway. If I get another C63 I dont want to loose all the things I loved about the 09' trans.

-Troy
Why would you want to floor the car from 1500-2000 without downshifting? You prefer slower acceleration?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
You will like it as much or more by all reviews I have heard. It is an improvement over the previous transmission... just not as good as a true DCT.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by IStern
Why would you want to floor the car from 1500-2000 without downshifting? You prefer slower acceleration?
Well without going into a long "Who Shot John" story there are times street driving / tracking a car when you want to to use the torque to roll out the power smooth and not just stomp it, spin tires with oversteer drama.

My main concern was not having the stock Trans in manual mode kicking down and overriding my inputs. The only simi auto Trans I have ever driven way my 09' C63 and loved it. I don't want to loose any of the fun, only improve on it.

If I pull the trigger on the AMG it would be used
99% for street use. I have other track options.

-Troy
Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by gthal
You will like it as much or more by all reviews I have heard. It is an improvement over the previous transmission... just not as good as a true DCT.
I'm betting the next gen C-AMG gets a real DCT. That would be fantastic.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by GBlansten
I'm betting the next gen C-AMG gets a real DCT. That would be fantastic.
I hope the DCT makes its way to the C63. But it likely has to move down from the SLS through the higher models first. I imagine the CL and S class would get the DCT next. With the next C63 coming in approximately 3 years, we would have to start seeing the DCT being installed in higher models soon to indicate a likelihood of the C63 receiving the new trans when it is first released as opposed to later on into its production cycle. This is just my opinion. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I hope the DCT makes its way to the C63. But it likely has to move down from the SLS through the higher models first. I imagine the CL and S class would get the DCT next. With the next C63 coming in approximately 3 years, we would have to start seeing the DCT being installed in higher models soon to indicate a likelihood of the C63 receiving the new trans when it is first released as opposed to later on into its production cycle. This is just my opinion. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
The DCT in the SLS is an outsourced unit (Getrag) and won't be in any other MB model.

Any new line of transmission would work its way up in the MB hierarchy before AMG sees 'em. The 7G-Tronic was introduced in the 500's before they started trickling upwards into the AMGs eventually evolving into the MCT.

The new in house DCT gearbox is being introduced in the A and B classes out this year.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Having gone from 12 years of manual transmission cars to a 2009 C63 and then a DCT M3, MB better put a true DCT in the next C-AMG or I won't be looking at their offerings. I think that they will come through though.