C63 AMG/Black Series as a Daily Driver, Other Ramblings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mainly
totally man go for the black series. the new 5.5 TT engines are dull, unresponsive and the way in which they accelerate is just plain boring compared to a N/A engine. a us CBS turned up where I live and it sold instantly . I inquired about it it I didn't even have a chance. there are 5 or 6 cls63 TT 's for sale here in Canada and there not selling.

why do you think that is?

because turbos are gay. forget them man.

go for the C63 black series.

I take it you are not impressed with your purchase? Are u going to sell it?

Are u looking for a BS now?

Put a tune and a downpipe on the CLS, maybe it will turn your frown upside down
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I haven't drove the new turbo, but the new CLS is very sexy. I have seen a few around, I try to chase them down, they are gorgeous cars, but the drive never wants to go on it.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Merc63
I haven't drove the new turbo, but the new CLS is very sexy. I have seen a few around, I try to chase them down, they are gorgeous cars, but the drive never wants to go on it.
Trust me it's a BEAST .. You should test drive one at your local dealer

I sold my C63 and I'm getting a CLS63 soon

Last edited by Faris63; 07-23-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG / E3 HSV GTS
Originally Posted by jtrichel
BS - $110 ish for a base model MSRP if one turns up
C63 PP how I would equip it - $75-77k ish
E63 pp - pretty much loaded - $95k ish
You have no idea how much I hate it when you guys start talking $$$ ... the Australian dollar is worth more than the US$ at the moment but we pay;

C63 - $153K
C63 PP - $168K
C63 BS - $245K
E63 - $241K
E63 PP - $259K

Throw the government stamp duty on top of that when you buy and you can add $7K to the C63 and ~$12K to the C63 BS and the E63.

I can see why so many 20-something's are driving these cars over there, a C200 is $60K in Australia! I hope you all know how lucky you are ...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
You love carving corners so much, why don't you come up for some lapping at the Edmonton Indy track, beginning of August. Lets see what that BS has.
Woah, are you telling me there's lapping days on the Indy track? Can you PM me the details? I'm definately in for that!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
I take it you are not impressed with your purchase? Are u going to sell it?

Are u looking for a BS now?

Put a tune and a downpipe on the CLS, maybe it will turn your frown upside down

hey..

yeah i have to say its nothing like what i thought/hoped it would be.

i wish i had my m5 back.

its for sale, but like i said there are 5 or 6 of these for sale in canada right now, and none are selling.

id definately be down for a c63 BS if i could make the numbers work.

those are good suggestions, downpipes and tune, but if im not planning on holding onto the car anyway, i may just say f-it, and keep it the way it is and trade it next year.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Faris63
Trust me it's a BEAST .. You should test drive one at your local dealer

I sold my C63 and I'm getting a CLS63 soon

trust me, its NOT A BEAST.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 CLS63 PP
trust me, its NOT A BEAST.
Is your car tuned ?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 AM

Is your car tuned ?

no my car is nto tuned. but a tune isnt going to change thhe whole car.

it will still handle like a boat.

the transmission will still take for ever when shifting with the paddle shifters.

there will still be turbo lag.

i was told by a tuning company that a tune will not change any of this.

and things will still rattle loose inside the cabin, like the guage cluster, door locks, etc..

this crap shouldnt be happening to a $130K car.

this, in addition to the check engine oil, add 1 liter message constantly poping up, and having to add 3 liters of oil in the first 4 weeks, and a loose rattling in the suspension, total BS!!!

3 years in an m5 and the thing was as solid as a rock the day i sold it as the day i bought it.

this thing? falling apart already...

LAME...
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 CLS63 PP

the transmission will still take for ever when shifting with the paddle shifters.

and things will still rattle loose inside the cabin, like the guage cluster, door locks, etc..

this, in addition to the check engine oil, add 1 liter message constantly poping up, and having to add 3 liters of oil in the first 4 weeks, and a loose rattling in the suspension, total BS!!!

3 years in an m5 and the thing was as solid as a rock the day i sold it as the day i bought it.

LAME...
Sorry to hear that man .. Tune make big difference in these AMG's
I've driven this car for 4 weeks only to be honest I like this car more than my tuned C63 (headers, tune .. etc)
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 AM

I've driven this car for 4 weeks only to be honest I like this car more than my tuned C63 (headers, tune .. etc)

you dont find the throttle response to be dull, and mushy?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
That only helps straight line speed... many people want handling, responsiveness, etc too. I have no meaningful experience with the CLS63 other than a couple of hours on a track in Florida and, although it was a great car, you could REALLY feel the size. For a highway cruiser, it would be amazing... for a back road/track car, something lighter and more responsive is needed. In a track environment, the C63 is WAY more fun IMO. The other poster is also use to an M5 where the chassis and suspension would be very well tuned for a large car.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D

LAME...
have you taken it into the shop to get the noise fixed?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 AM

(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Thumbs up

O.P.....I reckon a C63 Sedan with P31, LSD, & 19" multispokes will do you just fine (it's EXACTLY the spec of ours!).....you will be super happy with the performance, & it'll be a whole lot cheaper than a BS.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM

C63

LAME...

i kinda miss my M5 too .... but I do like the torque of the C63!!! .. only time will tell!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM

2011 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by rage2
Buy a ticket from Austin to Calgary, it's 5 hours to get here, $600 round trip (I used to travel to Austin frequently for work when we had an office there). I'll take a day off work and we'll go rip around some back highways in my BS and a C63. I'm always looking for an excuse to go driving!

Easy way to choose between the 2 cars.
That is a hell of an offer!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM

'17 CLS550
Originally Posted by Vic55
You can use the CBS as a daily driver. I dont but....

Its comfortable enough with the adjustable suspension to be enjoyed daily if your roads are good. I choose not to drive it daily because I dont want to pour on a ton of miles and I have other rides that need my love

As for tire wear, they will wear no different than any other AMG or non track CBS. Your pcar didnt wear tires because it doesnt have torque. The weight bias in the rear plays a much smaller role. TQ burns tires and if you drive the car right you will wear out any tire. The CBS is no different but one should expect that a max performance summer tire with a 457 tq rating car will lower its tread life. Oh and if you drive the CBS correctly you should wear out the tires by then. Whats the purpose of getting a CBS if you dont drive the crap out of it. Im not saying burnouts and such but push the car- its a race car. If tire wear is concern any tq monster willl be an issue.

The E63TT with PP should be slightly faster in the straights but its a heavier car and I firmly believe the ECU and TCU in the TT is not optimal or as aggressive as the CBS's one. My butt feeling tells me that my CBS is relatively close to the TT (My E63TT wagon or CLS63TT) in stock format. Now a simple tune and the TT is gone but.... in no way or form does the TT compare to the driving experience Ive extracted from the CBS. Add in some turns and the CBS says goodnight.

Also we often forget appearance. The CBS is menacing- the TT is reserved.

I wont even discuss sound- its non comparo here. I got rid of faster car for a better car and wont ever look back (wagon for CBS).

If you are going to wait for the price to drop, you will have to wait longer that it seems you want to. If money isnt the issue get the car now while its new and break it in your way. I dont mind buying a car for more and then passing it on to others later. The price I pay far outweighs the waiting game.
That Pcar he had has 502 ft lbs of tq stock. WTF are you talking about..no torque My guess is because the 997Turbo is AWD

Last edited by alms21; 07-26-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by gthal
That only helps straight line speed... many people want handling, responsiveness, etc too. I have no meaningful experience with the CLS63 other than a couple of hours on a track in Florida and, although it was a great car, you could REALLY feel the size. For a highway cruiser, it would be amazing... for a back road/track car, something lighter and more responsive is needed. In a track environment, the C63 is WAY more fun IMO. The other poster is also use to an M5 where the chassis and suspension would be very well tuned for a large car.
The car can't make up for a lack of talent...
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM

09 C63 AMG, 03 C320 Sport Coupe 96 Mustang
My C63 is my DD, summer and winter. With a tune it's a helluva nice ride. If you're not going to be tracking a BS, then you're buying it for other reasons maybe - prestige, limited edition collectability, whatever. If that's the reasoning for buying it, then I sure woudln't drive it as a DD, it would be reserved for nice warm sunny Sundays to keep it in pristine shape. I'm not a big fan of the idea of using limited editions as DD's, especially if you're thinking ultimately about any re-sale vlaue potential. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 AM

your mom
Originally Posted by brt3
I've owned several AMGs in the past: E55 wagon, ML63, C63 w/P31, and now the C63 Black Series. I've also driven almost everything AMG makes in Europe, for extended periods.

When I picked up my Black Series, I was initially surprised by the compliance of the ride. California freeways are terrible, but -- at normal highway speeds with the factory suspension settings -- the ride is not as bad as I expected. It absorbs sharp bumps fairly well while at speed.

However, a few things to note:

1. The car drives "big". It feels wide and much bigger than my 2011 C63 Sedan.

2. The ride quality on slower or "back" roads is harsher. At speed you don't notice this as much.

3. The car definitely has a slightly more nervous quality -- it's begging to be accelerated and turned.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the C63 BS as a daily driver, unless it will also see some track time or other form of performance driving. One of the best cars I've every driven -- in terms of having one car that can do it all -- is the E63 wagon. I've also been surprised by how well the CLS performs on the track.
You have a PM.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by alms21
That Pcar he had has 502 ft lbs of tq stock. WTF are you talking about..no torque My guess is because the 997Turbo is AWD
Where in his OP did he say he had a turbo. I have had have 3 turbos- 996, 997.1, 997.2 so I know what P cars have TQ and I know that non 997 TT's definitely do not have alot of TQ.

Maybe the OP can chime in since he didnt correct me when I posted....

Last edited by Vic55; 07-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 AM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Vic55
Where in his OP did he say he had a turbo. I have had have 3 turbos- 996, 997.1, 997.2 so I know what P cars have TQ and I know that non 997 TT's definitely do not have alot of TQ.

Maybe the OP can chime in since he didnt correct me when I posted....

Yes I have had plenty seat time in the 997tt.... a little cllinical in my book.... I used to own a 03 RS6, which had the Cosworth built V8TT.... that felt far less clinical...