C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Question Weistec Oil/Air separator setup..

Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
Question Weistec Oil/Air separator setup..

On installing this, would:

1. void warranty (car is CPO).
2. is this plug-play? or would i need any modifications to where i would install this?

I'll have an indie mechanic install this incase I decide to get this.. my major concern is warranty.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM

C63 amg
I asked MB of Boston and they told me any type of after markets they deem could affect the warranty. Long story short YES

Last edited by Z63amg; 07-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
You have a right to modify your car. And there are even certain federal and state laws that allow you to do this without the risk of voiding your warranty. But, in practice, when you modify your car and you later have a warranty issue, you can't just assert protection under the consumer protection laws and then expect the dealership/manufacturer to say "okay, we will honor the warranty despite your alteration to our intended design."

If the dealership wants to deny your warranty claim because you have modified the car, you can sue them for breach of warranty, but you would have to pay for the litigation in most instances. Every situation will be different so there is no way to know whether you would prevail or if the dealership/manufacturer would fold and honor the warranty.

Basically, you have to pay to play. And most of the time you can count on the dealership to blame any problem they can on your modification. They are just not in the business of going beyond their job duties, which are limited to fixing their product. And you can't really blame them, although it can be very frustrating for the vehicle owner.

Your best bet is to call some of the dealerships that are located near you and ask their service and warranty departments for their position.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:24 PM

06 CTT-S
good advise.. when i get a chance to schedule an appointment, i'd ask about this..
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
You have a right to modify your car. And there are even certain federal and state laws that allow you to do this without the risk of voiding your warranty. But, in practice, when you modify your car and you later have a warranty issue, you can't just assert protection under the consumer protection laws and then expect the dealership/manufacturer to say "okay, we will honor the warranty despite your alteration to our intended design."

If the dealership wants to deny your warranty claim because you have modified the car, you can sue them for breach of warranty, but you would have to pay for the litigation in most instances. Every situation will be different so there is no way to know whether you would prevail or if the dealership/manufacturer would fold and honor the warranty.

Basically, you have to pay to play. And most of the time you can count on the dealership to blame any problem they can on your modification. They are just not in the business of going beyond their job duties, which are limited to fixing their product. And you can't really blame them, although it can be very frustrating for the vehicle owner.

Your best bet is to call some of the dealerships that are located near you and ask their service and warranty departments for their position.
well said^^
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
I have been told that if the modification can be shown to be the cause of a specific failure then yes...they will deny your warranty. However, say you install a catch can, and the transmission falls out the bottom of the car....kind of hard for them say or prove that the catch can caused that.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM

C63 amg
See and that's what kills me. Like even the service tech pretty much said the higher ups will do anything to find something that is slightly related to the problem on the after market part you put on. He said the only really thing they can't go after is exhaust and cosmetic accessories. But he did say someone put some type of cheap exhaust and there wasn't enough back pressure so the guy kept getting some type of check engine light
Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by Swoody
I have been told that if the modification can be shown to be the cause of a specific failure then yes...they will deny your warranty. However, say you install a catch can, and the transmission falls out the bottom of the car....kind of hard for them say or prove that the catch can caused that.
This is the way I understand the law too.