C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Trying to decide what's next

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
CTSV is going to be too similar to a C63 in feel and size, compared to the others listed. Go with something different. The new 2013 Viper looks AMAZING. That same neighbor says he might give up his new ZR1 if it's up to his tastes.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by propain
Ahhh... Well these whats next threads can confuse me sometimes.

When I see someone driving a 70K car and they say "Whats next" I normally dont jump up to a 200K plus car.

We should just start with price I think. How much do you want to spend on "Whats next"
My budget really is around $120-130k, any more and I better get a good divorce lawyer
My dilemma is that nothing in that price range gives me the same satisfaction the C63 did when I bought it--now, I still love the C, but I want something with a little more pop--the C63 is a decent looking car, but it has never been the reason I bought the car.

I'm looking for a more "exotic" machine that does what the c63 does, all for less than $130k, that pretty much sums it up
Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 PM

Location: On a oil lease cracking rock to recover glorious sour oil
Modded 2010 Harley Edition F-450 and a '13 S5
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
CTSV is going to be too similar to a C63 in feel and size, compared to the others listed.

Plus 100hp. But at the end of the day it is still a chev.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by black-clk500
My budget really is around $120-130k, any more and I better get a good divorce lawyer
My dilemma is that nothing in that price range gives me the same satisfaction the C63 did when I bought it--now, I still love the C, but I want something with a little more pop--the C63 is a decent looking car, but it has never been the reason I bought the car.

I'm looking for a more "exotic" machine that does what the c63 does, all for less than $130k, that pretty much sums it up

Hopefully no kids involved or you will be shopping a Toyota!

That price range is a tough choice. The C63 is really nice car. The Viper idea was a really good one. The 2013 looks amazing and screams exotic.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
I know you like european and so do I but nothing gets looks like these do and the performance is hang on!! Trust me, I've had plenty before.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM

BAH! Just a Fiat! Like a Panda with nitrous Haha
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by forcefed6.4ford
Nothing a few mods + a tune can't fix
Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
BAH! Just a Fiat! Like a Panda with nitrous Haha
You've obviously not owned or driven one. They are a handful to drive and very powerful! Great cars!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM

I was just playing around. And I have been in one. 2010 MY I believe. My old 1ton truck was far scarier.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
More like 50 hp in his case because he has P31. And the CTS-V's heavier weight really makes performance very close to his current car. Slight edge to the CTS-V in straight acceleration.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 08-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB

The ZR1 has been mentioned. Personally, I think it's one of the better looking cars. I love the wheels that it comes with. The Viper seems amazing. Huge displacement.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 PM

But all that plastic. For the price they want for one, they should be able to use better build materials.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
But all that plastic. For the price they want for one, they should be able to use better build materials.
This. The Viper has the same build quality of my old Lego forts. None.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
That's good!

Honestly, haven't thought much about the Viper, but it is interesting.
Again, it suffers a little from the same red neck mullet "lottery winning" car (kinda how I think of vettes). Obviously, just my opinion The Viper is a beastly car and definitely more rare then a Corvette.

I was toying around with getting a Shelby recreation done perfectly, aluminum body and all for like $90k--it will be essentially a "new" car with insane performance and a bit more class then a Vette or possibly a Viper.
Something like this:
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
How do you know when it hasn't been out yet? All reports are very favourable.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by gthal
How do you know when it hasn't been out yet? All reports are very favourable.
Every iteration of Viper has suffered the same issues. They're all built like crap.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
That's good!

Honestly, haven't thought much about the Viper, but it is interesting.
Again, it suffers a little from the same red neck mullet "lottery winning" car (kinda how I think of vettes). Obviously, just my opinion The Viper is a beastly car and definitely more rare then a Corvette.

I was toying around with getting a Shelby recreation done perfectly, aluminum body and all for like $90k--it will be essentially a "new" car with insane performance and a bit more class then a Vette or possibly a Viper.
Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AJh...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxhy...eature=related

definitely is a sweet sweet ride. Recently someone drove one over to a local meet and I was drooling all over it. However, you will need to make sure you are ok with giving up pretty much all the creature comforts you might be used to in the C63. As well, getting in and out of the car is a workout. IMO this is a niche niche car. a beautiful weekend warrior. If you need this vehicle to have some DD ability, you might want to look at other options.

btw. thought about jaguars? the XK / XKR / XKR-S is a beautiful machine and fits perfectly in your price range. Very classy yet sporty.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M156
thanks Fung, funny you should mention the RS, I was getting new rears on my C a couple weeks ago and I walked the adjoining BMW and Audi dealerships and took a look at the Audis. They had some S7, S5 and S4, but the hp numbers looked anemic. I know the RS will have a bump, but I'm not sure there will be enough power. The v10 R8, may work, but I've never been a huge Audi lover. And BMW is just slipping more and more right now IMO.

One of my neighbors just got a new Maserati GranSport cab, nice looking---

I'm usually a cash buyer and finance very rarely, but I could lease a SLS for around $2400 per month (basically trading in my C63 for two years of SLS payments) and then buying the SLS outright after the lease is up. I can't stand paying interest and I'm sure the cost for financing the SLS would be ridiculous, but it is an alternative
How long is the SLS lease and with how much down payment? 2400 for 2 year lease sounds very tempting.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
OP: you beat me to it. I was about to pose the same question with the forum.
I am just a bit different than you where I had my C63 for 3 years now but my budget is the same. I am not averse to a slightly used CPO car so I have come up to the following 3 choices (It will be a daily driver):
-Used Aston martin Vantage V12: a bit above my budget especially that I will have to buy on top of the purchase price an extended warranty, I drove the Vantage and the DB9. A very sexy car that makes you feel so special. Overall performance is however below the C63 with a tune. You basically pay for the emblem but the sound is orgasmic.
-used Audi R8 V10: faster than the C and so well balanced but the lack of storage is a big negative for me. Throw in a statis exhaust and this car sings as well. It is a "small" car and does not have the cache of the Aston but still is viewed as an exotic.
-New Black series C: Obviously we all know what the reviews are but I am having a tough time swallowing the price jump for a car that has the same performance of a tune C63. I know, I know, on the track it is better and the BS does look much better and is sold in a limited edition so you can feel a bit better about your purchase. Staying in the MB family is a plus.
-New CLS with PP. With a simple tune, this car will show its tail to both a BSC and a tuned C63 with having plenty of room for 4 if the need arises. I love the way it looks but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With a cat or resonator delete, it will sound as good as well. Staying in the MB family is a plus. I have not driven it, you did and I am interested in your feedback as it seems you were not thrilled. Maybe the car is too big.
-New 2013 Viper: I have left this one for last as I have been doing a lot of research and I think I have been bitten. The new car will outperform all the other cars above and has a very sweet and exotic look. It definitely has Ferrari DNA which is not a bad thing. Having read and talked to a few people up top at SRT, it seems they are committed to bringing the VIPER to the next level. The quality in the GTS model is supposed to rival the best exotics (the demo cars look that way) and they will be selective on the dealers that will sell the car. In other words, we should expect a higher level of service. Obviously, this is all talk and we will have to see if they deliver but I am very tempted to take a chance.

I can' wait on you guys feedback.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by emericr
OP: you beat me to it. I was about to pose the same question with the forum.
I am just a bit different than you where I had my C63 for 3 years now but my budget is the same. I am not averse to a slightly used CPO car so I have come up to the following 3 choices (It will be a daily driver):
-Used Aston martin Vantage V12: a bit above my budget especially that I will have to buy on top of the purchase price an extended warranty, I drove the Vantage and the DB9. A very sexy car that makes you feel so special. Overall performance is however below the C63 with a tune. You basically pay for the emblem but the sound is orgasmic.
-used Audi R8 V10: faster than the C and so well balanced but the lack of storage is a big negative for me. Throw in a statis exhaust and this car sings as well. It is a "small" car and does not have the cache of the Aston but still is viewed as an exotic.
-New Black series C: Obviously we all know what the reviews are but I am having a tough time swallowing the price jump for a car that has the same performance of a tune C63. I know, I know, on the track it is better and the BS does look much better and is sold in a limited edition so you can feel a bit better about your purchase. Staying in the MB family is a plus.
-New CLS with PP. With a simple tune, this car will show its tail to both a BSC and a tuned C63 with having plenty of room for 4 if the need arises. I love the way it looks but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With a cat or resonator delete, it will sound as good as well. Staying in the MB family is a plus. I have not driven it, you did and I am interested in your feedback as it seems you were not thrilled. Maybe the car is too big.
-New 2013 Viper: I have left this one for last as I have been doing a lot of research and I think I have been bitten. The new car will outperform all the other cars above and has a very sweet and exotic look. It definitely has Ferrari DNA which is not a bad thing. Having read and talked to a few people up top at SRT, it seems they are committed to bringing the VIPER to the next level. The quality in the GTS model is supposed to rival the best exotics (the demo cars look that way) and they will be selective on the dealers that will sell the car. In other words, we should expect a higher level of service. Obviously, this is all talk and we will have to see if they deliver but I am very tempted to take a chance.

I can' wait on you guys feedback.
The Vantage V12 is the winner for me because of the sound and appearance. It's incredible. Then the Viper.

Your taste in cars is impressive.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM

2013 Fiat Abarth
aston is terrible for resale value, but the craftsmanship is top notch, it is afterall handmade.
cls63 with down+midpipes, air filter, and tune will give you around 700hp at the crank, so it would show it's tail to all four door cars (maybe except the RS6, which we don't get in the US, yet). As i mentioned earlier, the R8 looks to be a very good choice, except for the fact that the facelift is about to be released, but if it doesn't matter to you, that would be a good car. The CLS63 tuned though beats both other cars any day in a straight line, and is much more functional
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 PM

2013 Fiat Abarth
OP you can get those shelby kit cars for much less than 90k .. i saw one being built at a local garage with a 2011 shelby gt500 engine in it, and the total build cost was 55k (thats with a more expensive engine than usual) id say 45k would be a nice one !
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
The new Vanquish...DROOL...
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I agree that the resale value of Aston leaves to be desired therefore I would buy a slightly used one. Even used, you are still looking at north of 130K .
However, please go drive a DBS and a AMV8S and you will quickly notice that the car is about the same overall power than a C63. It accomplishes it with style and finesse rather than the hammer style of the C. It really depends what you are looking for in your next car. If you value style and exclusiveness over more power, then an AMV8S or AMV12 could be a solution.
If you are like me where I always want more power and let's not forget torque, then the Viper is calling your name.
C63edition1: regarding your CLS comment, I believe the Panamera Turbo would be tough to beat which bring me to 2 other cars I am contemplating as well. A used Panamera turbo or a 997TT is a fast beast as well but it does nothing to the senses. They are extremely go fast mobiles but I feel they lack a soul. I had a 997S and a friend let me borrow his 997TT for a week-end and the lack of sensory feedback was a major let down.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM

2013 Fiat Abarth
emericr, with those power upgrades you think the panamera would still win ? the panamera's *** is maybe the worst ive seen on any car tbh though, (no offense, we r just talking cars here, what you end up buying is completely up to you).
what about new M5/M6, and i think by that time the new RS6 will be out, stock 580hp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide what's next