C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Trying to decide what's next

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12/2012 Build 911 (991) C2S; 2011 Acura ZDX
Originally Posted by emericr
OP: you beat me to it. I was about to pose the same question with the forum.
I am just a bit different than you where I had my C63 for 3 years now but my budget is the same. I am not averse to a slightly used CPO car so I have come up to the following 3 choices (It will be a daily driver):
-Used Aston martin Vantage V12: a bit above my budget especially that I will have to buy on top of the purchase price an extended warranty, I drove the Vantage and the DB9. A very sexy car that makes you feel so special. Overall performance is however below the C63 with a tune. You basically pay for the emblem but the sound is orgasmic.
-used Audi R8 V10: faster than the C and so well balanced but the lack of storage is a big negative for me. Throw in a statis exhaust and this car sings as well. It is a "small" car and does not have the cache of the Aston but still is viewed as an exotic.
-New Black series C: Obviously we all know what the reviews are but I am having a tough time swallowing the price jump for a car that has the same performance of a tune C63. I know, I know, on the track it is better and the BS does look much better and is sold in a limited edition so you can feel a bit better about your purchase. Staying in the MB family is a plus.
-New CLS with PP. With a simple tune, this car will show its tail to both a BSC and a tuned C63 with having plenty of room for 4 if the need arises. I love the way it looks but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With a cat or resonator delete, it will sound as good as well. Staying in the MB family is a plus. I have not driven it, you did and I am interested in your feedback as it seems you were not thrilled. Maybe the car is too big.
-New 2013 Viper: I have left this one for last as I have been doing a lot of research and I think I have been bitten. The new car will outperform all the other cars above and has a very sweet and exotic look. It definitely has Ferrari DNA which is not a bad thing. Having read and talked to a few people up top at SRT, it seems they are committed to bringing the VIPER to the next level. The quality in the GTS model is supposed to rival the best exotics (the demo cars look that way) and they will be selective on the dealers that will sell the car. In other words, we should expect a higher level of service. Obviously, this is all talk and we will have to see if they deliver but I am very tempted to take a chance.

I can' wait on you guys feedback.

You guys beat me to this... I, also, been pondering this exact thought for a couple of months now. I have a 2009 as well, did a lot to it... tune, pipes, cf hood, wheels, etc. It truely a great car and eye catcher. Even though I love my car but I think it's about time to move on
My choices are very similar to yours, but I would replace a new 911S with CLS.
AMV12 is nice but I would settle for a newer AMV8 S Roadster for the same price or less (since performance is not a factor here, all about the 'look' with AM).
I like the Audi R8 V10... very possible choice for a slightly used one.
And the 2013 Viper looks exotic and powerful, should be a looker and unique enough... the price tag isn't all bad. However, I just worry about the interior and overall quality. If I want this car, I guess I just have to wait and see it in person.
Perhaps a used Maserati GranTurismo Sport ?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Originally Posted by c63edition1
emericr, with those power upgrades you think the panamera would still win ? the panamera's *** is maybe the worst ive seen on any car tbh though, (no offense, we r just talking cars here, what you end up buying is completely up to you).
what about new M5/M6, and i think by that time the new RS6 will be out, stock 580hp
The Panamera Turbo with its AWD is amazing. You have to drive it to truly get the picture. It is an engineering marvel as it boggles my mind how a car that heavy can be a 3.5 sec to 60 and 11.9 1/4 mile. I think it would be close race with CLS.
No offense taken on the remark about the butt of the Panamera . I know many people do not like the design but I do.
I think the new Ms are going in the wrong direction. Too much comfort and not enough sensory satisfaction. How about the stupid engine noise thru the speakers. The interior does not do anything for me either. I have not driven either of them so I need to do this. Thanks for reminder
Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Originally Posted by Mperor
You guys beat me to this... I, also, been pondering this exact thought for a couple of months now. I have a 2009 as well, did a lot to it... tune, pipes, cf hood, wheels, etc. It truely a great car and eye catcher. Even though I love my car but I think it's about time to move on
My choices are very similar to yours, but I would replace a new 911S with CLS.
AMV12 is nice but I would settle for a newer AMV8 S Roadster for the same price or less (since performance is not a factor here, all about the 'look' with AM).
I like the Audi R8 V10... very possible choice for a slightly used one.
And the 2013 Viper looks exotic and powerful, should be a looker and unique enough... the price tag isn't all bad. However, I just worry about the interior and overall quality. If I want this car, I guess I just have to wait and see it in person.
Perhaps a used Maserati GranTurismo Sport ?
The Maseratis have a horrible track record as far as maintenance and reliability so if you go that way, you'd better have a dealer extended warranty and live close to your dealer.
As far as the new RS6, that would be awesome and a contender for my hard earned $$$ if it comes to our shores but I have not heard it would. Anyone knows?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Yeah, I haven't heard good things about Maserati maintenance, but the GranTurismo does look amazing. What about a Ferrari 430?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Ferraris and Lambos are in a completely different league. You'd better be ready to have serious change for the maintenance and I am not sure it would be a good daily driver as higher mileage will kill the resale price.
I am not a badge w#ore so I'd rather buy a newer vehicle with less of a "badge" impression that meets my budget.
I hope one day to be lucky enough to buy a new horse or bull vehicle but that is a dream for now.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Have you considered a GT3 or GT3RS?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
I know you said you would prefer to not go used.

But in the used realm, I would really recommend a 997.2 Turbo. 10 second 1/4 miles will surely get your blood boiling.

or a nice low mile Gallardo, definitely hits the mark for a bit more exotic.

If you have to go new, the SLS idea seems pretty awesome. I would also agree a 991 991 S is worth a look. Acceleration wise it is right there with the C63.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM

C63
maybe RS5?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by vessproms
maybe RS5?
NOOOOO!!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I've got it! Lotus Exige
Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
I have decided for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...item2a214a853d
Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 AM

2013 Fiat Abarth
^ good find, that's almost exactly on the budget
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
I have seen that CLK GTR, I live like 20 minutes from the dealership.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 AM

2010 C63 AMG P31
has anyone thought about the new 991 911 C2S as a next car?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 AM

2013 Fiat Abarth
its been discussed, im interested to see what the new GT3 and Turbo are going to be like, a revolution im sure
Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 AM

2014 E63 S
I have been thinking about this 'dilemma' for months now.

It's more to do with my mental disorder regarding having a car to lust for than anything wrong with the C63.

My budget is the same as yours. R8 V10 is up there, along with an early Gallardo. I've almost ruled out the SLS because I think I want a mid-engine car for a fresh experience next time.

However, I cringe at the thought of selling my C because its really done nothing wrong and it is seriously fast and appeals to the senses while being a very practical car. I don't really need a faster car. What I want is something more exclusive, exotic and 'fun' for when I am bored of the C.

I've been thinking about just adding a second car, and keeping the C and am considering something like this personally:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...13382744&Log=0

Maintenance on them isn't too bad, they still have the 'look and feel' almost ten years on and I believe they have bottomed out on depreciation. Performance wise I think a low displacement high-revving mid engine motor with a stick would be a great compliment to the muscle car feel of the C63.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Choco: I hear where you are coming from but maintenance is still very expensive and now I need a bigger garage or the wife's car is going to be outside and that is a tough sell lol.
I would not consider a F360 as it is too old and performance really leaves to be desired versus the C63.
For about the same price, you can get an F430.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21728516&Log=0
With a better title:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27195753&Log=0

Last edited by emericr; 08-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM

2014 E63 S
Thing is with a 360 you could keep your C63... Park the C outside, as it's only a C class after all, lol.

I think a garage queen exotic purchased at a reasonable price has a lot of merit... then I could do impractical stuff to it like put an exhaust like this on

I think we've proved that there is no obvious step up from the C63. We're talking about spending in the six figures and are still barely getting more performance and giving up a lot of practicality. The only cars suggested that give more of everything is an E63 or CLS but those are big 'old man' cars in my books..
Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Updating my thread:
Went to one of my local dealerships yesterday to check out the lot. Saw my salesman outside and he waved me over. We chatted for a few moments and I informed him of my dilemma. I wanted to see the new '13 SL550 and they had a few.

We took one out for a lengthy test drive. I like the looks of this car with it's new wasp face front end, it looks mean. Obviously the interior is incredible, but sadly it lacks quite a bit of punch and it seemed to have a lot of lag when giving it gas. I tried all modes and the M mode was super sloppy and very unpredictable. So the SL550 is out. I know it was a long shot and a totally different category than my C63, but I had to try it out. It felt like such an old man car, because that's their target group with that car.

They did have the new '13SL63 and it look incredible, such a sweet looking car, very aggressive. I'm sure it would perform more like I'd like, but optioned properly it's $160k and out of my budget, plus I would find the extra $30k to get a SLS at that point.
Aaarrgg, AMG has really spoiled me with this C63.

Last edited by black-clk500; 08-22-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
So after reading about MotorTrends latest article on the Best Driving Car, it really got me think about the new 911S (first place, no surprise). Our beloved CBS came in 2nd, but I got a better chance of catching a Unicorn and riding that!

So I searched on Cars.com and I think a droptop 911S might fit the bill for me. I found pics of a white convertible with red top and I thought it looked really classy and sporty at the same time (BTW it was the only red ragtop on there)

I'm not a huge fan of white cars, so I configured a GT Silver one with a myriad of other uber exspensive options I must have and here's what I came up with:

I think this car is pure sex and classy at the same time--I opted for the factory body kit, sport exhaust, every piece of CF Trim, PDK, etc. The total was a bit over $140k, but I know I could shave $10k off of frivolous fluff and hopefully get a decent discount (granted it would be an ordered car and probably one of a kind) and this would get me to that $120-125k spot I "wanted" to max out at.

Now the big part is a test drive, can I live with the wimpy 400hp? I don't know, there's only one way to find out. But the dudes at MotorTrend were creaming in there pants over this new 911S. Damn, I really didn't want to be the guy with a Porsche in the garage

What do you think of this beauty?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 PM
RL1

AMG C63 Affalterbach Edition
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
I've got it! Lotus Exige
i'm surprised no one suggested lotus sooner..i was thinking the same

imho, if you went with a CLS, M5, A5, CTSV etc, you'd just be going for a similar experience (super sedan)

perhaps the solution is to try something very different...rear engine, mid engine, convertible etc.

RL
Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
I might wait till the full range of new P models was released.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:48 PM

2010 C63, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by Even Money
I might wait till the full range of new P models was released.
same! waiting for 911 turbo facelifts
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
OP -

Look. If you dont need a backseat and want to do something different than AMG, it is hard to get around a Porsche. A GT3, a GT3 RS, etc. If I didnt need a backseat, that is probably what I would do with the budget you described. (I.E. not a $200k SLS budget, something more in the $120-130 range). My second choice would be an Audi R8. I would NOT buy an RS5. Boring.

If you do want a backseat, and/or do want an AMG in your price range, I dont know why you wouldnt purchase the Black Series. Every review, and every comment on this board would suggest that it is in an entirely different league than a "normal" or even tuned C63 car. THis is from people that have owned both. Engine closer to the SLS, different suspension, body, interior bits, etc. Rare, limited production. And if you are willing to spend the money, they are out there. There is one with 85 miles on eBay with a $139k asking price right now. I am guessing $130k or maybe even $125k would take it. That is all about the original owner making his/her profit they imagined over the sticker they paid. Now if you cant live with paying someone a premium, then you will have to wait on that car. I can relate. But just saying, if you want it, you dont need to go haggle with a dealer to get you one. You just need to pay about a $20k "premium".

Last edited by jtrichel; 08-25-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 AM

2013 Fiat Abarth
looks gr8 in white in my opinion, spec that car in red with black top and black rims, sick look i promise

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide what's next