C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a '10 C63, time to make it faster. HELP??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bhamg
You should ask Mike at MBH about my "swappable" system. You'll be down a few HP (maybe 10-18 depending upon cat type - we used CA legal primary cats on mine) over a similarly equipped cC63 w/o primary cats, but it'll be as quiet as you can get with headers and has no drone whatsoever under any cruising conditions. The sound is fantastic on throttle (I like to call it refined but guttural) w/o being too much of a good thing. You sound like me re. your around-town driving noise preferences so this might be the way to go. Mike can fill you in.
The folks at Vivid outfitted my car similarly for smog purposes.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
You should ask Mike at MBH about my "swappable" system. You'll be down a few HP (maybe 10-18 depending upon cat type - we used CA legal primary cats on mine) over a similarly equipped cC63 w/o primary cats, but it'll be as quiet as you can get with headers and has no drone whatsoever under any cruising conditions. The sound is fantastic on throttle (I like to call it refined but guttural) w/o being too much of a good thing. You sound like me re. your around-town driving noise preferences so this might be the way to go. Mike can fill you in.

What kind of cats did you use? How many cell were they? Do you have a video of the car starting up or driving by that you could post? Thanks for the input that could be a possible solution.

Matt
Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
In what state do you live, Matt?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Who makes the CA legal primary cats? I thought there were very few options for CA legal cat replacements, and even less for low cel ones.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Who makes the CA legal primary cats? I thought there were very few options for CA legal cat replacements, and even less for low cel ones.
You're right. That's why you need to find a "good" smog shop
Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
You're right. That's why you need to find a "good" smog shop
Yeah, there's shops that will work with people. But, I was just curious about the actual cats mentioned above.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Matt47FL
What kind of cats did you use? How many cell were they? Do you have a video of the car starting up or driving by that you could post? Thanks for the input that could be a possible solution.

Matt
I'm on the road right now and my main photo library is on a different laptop. The attached photo is not of a primary cat I used but it's similar in shape and very compact, perhaps 8 or 9" long. It is stamped with CARB certification. Note there is no such thing as a high-flow 300 cell CA-legal cat. The substrate on a CA-legal cat is different from those found in 200/300 cell cats that you see advertised, more restrictive yes, and using 3+ times more precious metal content than a regular cat so that it can meet extended CA mileage requirements. I spoke to several different cat manufacturers and they all told me the same thing...they don't spec CA-legal cats to cell count and whatnot...they just build them to a much higher quality standard to be in CARB compliance and that includes a different substrate. I can find out specifically what I have in a few days.

There is a vid of my car on YouTube but as it is on the dyno, it won't be useful for your purposes. I can try get one done next week from cold startup when I get back to the car. But contact Mike in the meantime, he can give you all the technical and practical info you'll need short of actually hearing it. The MBH header lends itself particularly well to this type of application and I think the system we designed and implemented on my car is an incredibly practical, elegant, streetable solution for someone such as myself who doesn't want to sacrifice performance but also doesn't want to lose the refinement of a DD.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
^ Forgot the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a '10 C63, time to make it faster. HELP??-magnaflow-cat.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
In what state do you live, Matt?

South Carolina, No inspections or emissions testing required here.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Yeah, I'm originally from there. Lucky you. I had Vivid fashion some simple 200 cell cats that drop into the midpipe for smogging. Just good enough to pass
Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BEE...e_gdata_player

Here you go.. if u want a quiet start up
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Here are the CARB-certified aftermarket cats as well as the OE primaries during the install at DynoComp.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a '10 C63, time to make it faster. HELP??-carb-cat.jpg  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 AM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by dodger63
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BEE...e_gdata_player

Here you go.. if u want a quiet start up

Thats loud!! Your dog thinks so too!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 PM

2010 C63
Decided to dyno the car before I made any mods to get a baseline. I did 2 pulls in 4th gear got 354whp and 349wtq on the 2nd run. The only thing I have done was remove the charcoal filters. This was done on a dynojet, the temp was 86* and the humidity was 45%. I was hoping for about 10-15 more whp, but considering the conditions and I did drive the car 30 miles and put it straight on the dyno w/out any cool down time. I guess these numbers are close enough to my expectations.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Decided to dyno the car before I made any mods to get a baseline. I did 2 pulls in 4th gear got 354whp and 349wtq on the 2nd run. The only thing I have done was remove the charcoal filters. This was done on a dynojet, the temp was 86* and the humidity was 45%. I was hoping for about 10-15 more whp, but considering the conditions and I did drive the car 30 miles and put it straight on the dyno w/out any cool down time. I guess these numbers are close enough to my expectations.
What octane were you using? I think 1:1 is in 5th gear, but I'm not 100% sure. How effective were the fans? Also, people that have dynoed these cars a lot have said it takes several runs to get the car to show full power, then results level off.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
^^ I think those are perfectly normal numbers for this car where there is good reason to believe that conditions and the dyno itself would return a conservative figure. Where most of my dyno runs were done, mine (stock, pre-mods) was somewhat at the high end of the range for these cars but even then, only by 10 HP, so at best inconsequential. Many of us started out in the same general HP as your car shows, so nothing to be concerned about IMO.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM

2010 C63
What octane were you using? I think 1:1 is in 5th gear, but I'm not 100% sure. How effective were the fans? Also, people that have dynoed these cars a lot have said it takes several runs to get the car to show full power, then results level off.

93 octane, I did the pulls in 4th gear bc you hit the speed limiter in 5th. I actually did 3 runs, first 2 were in 4th, actually gained 3 hp and 2 tq on the second run, 3rd run we tried 5th and hit the speed limiter around 6k.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:34 PM

2010 C63
^^ I think those are perfectly normal numbers for this car where there is good reason to believe that conditions and the dyno itself would return a conservative figure. Where most of my dyno runs were done, mine (stock, pre-mods) was somewhat at the high end of the range for these cars but even then, only by 10 HP, so at best inconsequential. Many of us started out in the same general HP as your car shows, so nothing to be concerned about IMO.

Thanks for the input, I was pretty suprised at the drivetrain loss percentage, with the numbers I put down, Assuming that I have exactly 450 flywheel hp, I lost 21% of the power through the drivetrain. THATS A LOT!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
93 octane, I did the pulls in 4th gear bc you hit the speed limiter in 5th. I actually did 3 runs, first 2 were in 4th, actually gained 3 hp and 2 tq on the second run, 3rd run we tried 5th and hit the speed limiter around 6k.
Makes sense.

Thanks for the input, I was pretty suprised at the drivetrain loss percentage, with the numbers I put down, Assuming that I have exactly 450 flywheel hp, I lost 21% of the power through the drivetrain. THATS A LOT!!!
I wouldn't be surprised given the conditions when you dynoed. Your car probably wasn't making the full power at this time. To me, it stands to reason that if this was Winter time, with low humidity, and really amazing fans, your engine would make more power. So, I think it's more of an environmental issue and less of a drivetrain loss issue.

Also, was this with SAE correction factor and smoothing set to 5? Seems like it probably was.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 08-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM

2010 C63
Makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised given the conditions when you dynoed. Your car probably wasn't making the full power at this time. To me, it stands to reason that if this was Winter time, with low humidity, and really amazing fans, your engine would make more power. So, I think it's more of an environmental issue and less of a drivetrain loss issue.

Also, was this with SAE correction factor and smoothing set to 5? Seems like it probably was.

He told me with the software he had that he couldnt correct for sae? IDK anything about dynos so I didnt ask anymore questions.

I agree I could have picked up another 10 hp with cooler outside temps, less humidity, and more cool down time for the car. Also the fan wasnt great, it was a about 3 ft in diameter and didnt blow that hard.

I got my flash tuner today from OE tuning. I am working on downloading the tunes now and hope to have it installed on the car later today. I cant wait to see what it does.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
He told me with the software he had that he couldnt correct for sae? IDK anything about dynos so I didnt ask anymore questions.

I agree I could have picked up another 10 hp with cooler outside temps, less humidity, and more cool down time for the car. Also the fan wasnt great, it was a about 3 ft in diameter and didnt blow that hard.

I got my flash tuner today from OE tuning. I am working on downloading the tunes now and hope to have it installed on the car later today. I cant wait to see what it does.
Dynos are funny sometimes. They can be all over the place. Sometimes it's hard to get an accurate reading. The best way to see how the car performs is at the track where you can take into account trap speed and analyze that against DA, weather, tires, track prep, etc. Basically, we all know what these cars make at this point.

Enjoy the new power.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM

CLK 63 amg
hello,

Can one of you help me with the part number for the Quaife diff for the C63 AMG - I can't find it on the UK website.

And price?

thx

Chris,

Thanks for the info on the LSD, If it is a basically a bolt in application then I will probably buy one and install it myself. There is a local shop in Charlotte, NC that sells the Quaife DIff but wants $1200 to install, im not paying that, I wouldnt pay half that..

You answered my questions about the ROW airboxes also. I think I will just remove the charcoal filters and install high flow filters and be done with that project.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 PM

2010 C63
I got my OE tuning Flash tuner and installed it today........WOW! its like a new car. Much faster throttle response, much more power when driving around normally and when you go full throttle all I can do is smile. From a 10mph roll its impressive to say the least.

I have nothing to compare it to, but it was well worth the money. If anyone is on the fence about a tune, you need to go for it. I think OE tuning was a good choice also the flash tuner is really what sold me + the fact that OE tuned cars seem to run as good or better than cars tuned by other vendors. Very happy with the new found power from my C63.

I am still waiting on my AFE pro dry air filters to come in. I know im not going to feel any gains from them, but I want to install them before I go back to the dyno.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by clk63DK
hello,

Can one of you help me with the part number for the Quaife diff for the C63 AMG - I can't find it on the UK website.

And price?

thx

Chris,

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ferential.html

look at this thread, it should provide all the info you need. I think the price for the diff only is between $1000-$1100. I dont know what the other parts needed cost.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 PM

2010 C63
Ok well its been a few weeks since I added the tune to my car, It obviuosly made a big difference in the car but I think I need a little more. I really want to change the headers and mids. If I do headers I will go with MHP headers, they seem to make the most power the price is about as reasonable as its going to get (still cost way more than the should IMHO).

I talked with Andy today about the headers and how loud they are. Has anyone added resonators to their exhaust to try to quieten it down any? How much louder is the car from the inside during normal driving? He suggested an X-pipe to help quieten the exhaust some but I didnt know how much this would help if any? I personally think any x-pipe makes a car sound raspy and more high-pitched. I have always been an H-pipe fan when it comes to sound I know an xpipe may make another few HP but not a big difference. Doesn anyone have an H-pipe on their car?

Does anyone have cats added to their MHP exhaust? If so did it quieten it down any? I dont really car about the smell from going catless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a '10 C63, time to make it faster. HELP??