C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ADV1s are here! + TPMS question

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
^^ I disagree with u.. Let ADV1 reseal the wheel by themselves or else they will deny any warranty work. 3 pcs wheel tends to leak between the inner & outer barrel.. So tightening the bolts will unlikely solve anything. He needs to clean the old silicone & reapply/reseal.. Not acceptable & OP should not pay for the cost of repair on a few days old wheel.

That's why I'm done with 3 pcs wheels.. All show no go. 1 pc monoblock is less maintenance .

Last edited by Roswell; 08-24-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Unfortunately I am about 3 hours away from home right now visiting some relatives, and I have to be back home tomorrow so I have a shop to try and reseal it for me. ADV1 already contacted me with this problem and told me to go to a local shop, so if they try to deny anything I have their email. They said it shouldnt be a big deal though and the shop I went to does have experience with 3 piece wheels. I asked them to cover the cost of repair and if there is any other problem arising I asked for them to let me send it back for repair.

I am very disappointed now with these brand new wheels. So far ADV have been really good to respond to me(I didnt email them, I guess they saw my post and emailed me), we'll just have to see how they respond to my demands.

Will update tomorrow about how the shop found the wheels.

thanks for the support guys!

and yeah roswell, I actually wanted a monoblock but they were so expensive. was looking at volk but they were not hubcentric.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome to hear they are taking care of u. And u r clever to keep all the documentation for future warranty.

It's definitely not difficult to reseal 3 pcs rims, it's just time consuming as it may take few tries before they get it right. Which means mounting & unmounting the tires several time to test the leak.. And risking damaging/scratching the wheels.

This problem is not only with ADV wheels, it's just the nature of 3 pcs wheels. I had 3 different set in the past from 3 good companies.. And all of them started leaking at some point. It's probably due to the road vibrations breaking the silicone seal. Therefore, 1 pc is my only way to go from now on for peace of mind.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
yeah hopefully the shop can do it so i can get home first and foremost! I know this is not a problem with ADV only, but leaking on the 3rd day isnt acceptable!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
So the tire place manage to stop my wheels from leaking air. He said the wheel was leaking at pretty much every single bolt, over 20 spots. I will see now ADV1 responds now, even the shop owner agrees I should get ADV to cover it at the very least.

Checked other wheels and they seem to hold air fine, although I still get vibrations at over 80 and pull to the right a little (bad balancing?)
Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm glad to hear you got your wheel fixed... and I hope ADV will cover the repair as they gave you the "go" in the e-mail on the repair.

You should have asked the shop to re-balanced all your wheels when you checked for leaks. The vibrations could be coming from balancing, hub-centric rings (if the wheels are not specially design for our cars at 66.5) or wrong lugs (ball or cone seated).

On the other hand, the pulls could be a bad alignment.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by Roswell
I'm glad to hear you got your wheel fixed... and I hope ADV will cover the repair as they gave you the "go" in the e-mail on the repair.

You should have asked the shop to re-balanced all your wheels when you checked for leaks. The vibrations could be coming from balancing, hub-centric rings (if the wheels are not specially design for our cars at 66.5) or wrong lugs (ball or cone seated).

On the other hand, the pulls could be a bad alignment.
I will actually go to the shop that balanced my wheels to make them check. Is there anyway to check for the correct lugs? it seemed like it seated properly but I'm not sure. I was confirmed by ADV that the wheel are both hubcentric and works with OEM lugs.

I didnt have any pulls with my old wheels, I'm quite new to changing wheels, is an alignment recommended when you switch wheels?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If ADV said the wheels are hubcentric & OEM ball seated, then you can rule out the rings & lugs.

Only thing left would be to balance your wheels & see if you still have vibrations. I wouldnt worry about the slight pull yet as it might be due to the vibration causing it to not drive straight at high speed.

As for wheel alignment, it is recommended but not necessary when you change tires/wheels. If you had made changes in your suspension then yes, alignment is a must.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
That's no surprise OP having issues with the ADV.1 wheels. They're junk. The run out on them are terrible. They're too heavy. But they are pretty.

Most of the American made 3 piece wheels will leak. There is a 99% chance of this happening. They will either have bead leaks due to the chrome face rusting on the inside or the silicone mating surface will leak. Therefore I wil never buy wheels from those manufacterers. I will stick to high end Japanese wheels or German wheels (which majority of them are made in Japan).

Goodluck OP.

R.K.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I cannot comment on ADV quality as I never own a set. But I'm just surprised to read ur feedbacks as I thought they were high end wheels at premium cost.

I do agree with u about the nature of 3 pcs wheels though, they tend to leak at the bead all the time. This is also applicable to Europeean companies. From my experience, I had a set of 3pcs OZ Mito Modular from Italy on my old Stealth TT, and 1 wheel started to leak from day 1. I believe most companies are starting to realize the high maintenance of 3 pcs wheels & are turning themselves into monoblock forged.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I cannot comment on ADV quality as I never own a set. But I'm just surprised to read ur feedbacks as I thought they were high end wheels at premium cost.

I do agree with u about the nature of 3 pcs wheels though, they tend to leak at the bead all the time. This is also applicable to Europeean companies. From my experience, I had a set of 3pcs OZ Mito Modular from Italy on my old Stealth TT, and 1 wheel started to leak from day 1. I believe most companies are starting to realize the high maintenance of 3 pcs wheels & are turning themselves into monoblock forged.

I run a 3 piece Japanese wheel. The lips are anodized so they will last longer and look better than the cheap looking chrome. I have attached a pic of my car:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...2817copy-1.jpg

R.K.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350

I haven't personally owned a set either but on the BMW forums, there are 2 seperate stories of poor workmanship by ADV1. Mistakes can happen but this is getting out of hand. Especially for wheels that cost a premium.

These don't look too good on the car anyway. They are too small and there is no pop with those dull lips. Why spend big bucks on wheels that have no pop?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by radride
I run a 3 piece Japanese wheel. The lips are anodized so they will last longer and look better than the cheap looking chrome. I have attached a pic of my car:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...2817copy-1.jpg

R.K.
Wow, nice CL! Are they Work VS-XX?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by platinumsc
I haven't personally owned a set either but on the BMW forums, there are 2 seperate stories of poor workmanship by ADV1. Mistakes can happen but this is getting out of hand. Especially for wheels that cost a premium.
Yeah, i just hope it will not become like this 3 digit numbers company. Lol

At the end, crap happens but it boils down to how the company handles after sales problems.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Yeah, i just hope it will not become like this 3 digit numbers company. Lol

At the end, crap happens but it boils down to how the company handles after sales problems.
Well, read this story and tell us if you think they handled the issue properly.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717258
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh my, I remember reading somewhere ADV is owned by the same owner of the 3 digit numbers.. shaddy!!

Well, hope OP will get his vibrations fixed. But I was wrong for ruling out the hub-centric ring. He might have the wrong centric bore drilled on his rims.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
it's just a seal. you're much better off having a local wheel shop fix / replace the seal than dealing with adv. these are adv wheels issues like that should be expected.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, nice CL! Are they Work VS-XX?
The one and only. Work makes one of the best and highest quality wheels on the market. There is a reason why these wheels are 1600 a piece. The fit and finish is the best bar none.

R.K.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM

MB
Originally Posted by t-deL88
You guys might want to do a little bit of research on the M3Post side before spending almost $10k on wheels/tires for your $100k M5's and dealing with headaches down the line... Just read up on all of this smh

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717258

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664569

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596608
I know it's a LOT to go over, but it's worth the read since it's obvious MANY here have drunk the AVD Cool-Aid.

It's a MAJOR safety issue to have crappy wheels on your car.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM

2005 C230K SS 6-Spd
Hope ADV.1 takes care of you - i've got monoblocks on my car and they've been awesome. The quality issues over on M3post are blown out of proportion.

If you actually read the thread the actual facts are:
- All the "they suck" comments come from people with no first hand experience with their customer service or product.
- The cracked lip was a rim half part incorrectly made by the supplier, the same supplier that offers the SAME part with the SAME issue to HRE, etc.
- The customer was getting new wheels prior to the issue being posted and was not only given a fixed new set of wheels but a brand new set for any car for free.
- They have testing data posted on their site...

It's much ado about nothing as far as i'm concerned. I'm sure ADV.1 will take care of you - in my experience they have been nothing but superb to deal with. The ones posting already in this thread about how ****ty they are have... what 1 post count? I think that speaks for itself.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
been going through the threads, there's still the issue of an actual TUV certification...it's verifiable online from TUV themselves (HRE is listed for example), however ADV.1 is missing.

Honestly ADV.1 wheels looks amazing, but reading about these stories have made me think twice about the company.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM

MB
Originally Posted by LegitLifeStyle
Hope ADV.1 takes care of you - i've got monoblocks on my car and they've been awesome. The quality issues over on M3post are blown out of proportion.

- All the "they suck" comments come from people with no first hand experience with their customer service or product.
- The cracked lip was a rim half part incorrectly made by the supplier, the same supplier that offers the SAME part with the SAME issue to HRE, etc.
- The customer was getting new wheels prior to the issue being posted and was not only given a fixed new set of wheels but a brand new set for any car for free.

It's much ado about nothing as far as i'm concerned. I'm sure ADV.1 will take care of you - in my experience they have been nothing but superb to deal with. The ones posting already in this thread about how ****ty they are have... what 1 post count? I think that speaks for itself.
It's up to you. I'm just trying to inform you, but you obviously did NOT read the threads. It's a ton of reading, but the bottom line is they tried to "fix" someone's wheels by drilling extra holes RIGHT NEXT to the old holes. They then said it was for "weight savings." Then they said it was an "accident."

They also tried to show they're TUV certified, but then wouldn't produce all the paperwork, saying it's a secret since they don't want others photoshopping another name on their TUV certificate. BUT, HRE then posted all pages of their TUV certification. There's been no comment after that.

If you read the posts, ADV said they only use the MHT's tools and they make the wheels themselves, and the wheels are designed themselves.

My post count has nothing to do with how informed I am. It's up to you. I would never put my family in a car with these wheels. Here's post count number 2 if that makes you feel better. I posted this as a heads up to the MBWorld crowd so they can make an informed decision. I don't work for another wheel company or own a shop in any why.

Last edited by daddyo; 08-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM

2005 C230K SS 6-Spd
Originally Posted by daddyo
It's up to you. I'm just trying to inform you, but you obviously did NOT read the threads. It's a ton of reading, but the bottom line is they tried to "fix" someone's wheels by drilling extra holes RIGHT NEXT to the old holes. They then said it was for "weight savings." Then they said it was an "accident."

They also tried to show they're TUV certified, but then wouldn't produce all the paperwork, saying it's a secret since they don't want others photoshopping another name on their TUV certificate. BUT, HRE then posted all pages of their TUV certification. There's been no comment after that.

If you read the posts, ADV said they only use the MHT's tools and they make the wheels themselves, and the wheels are designed themselves.

My post count has nothing to do with how informed I am. It's up to you. I would never put my family in a car with these wheels. Here's post count number 2 if that makes you feel better. I posted this as a heads up to the MBWorld crowd so they can make an informed decision. I don't work for another wheel company or own a shop in any why.

I did read all the threads back when they were new as I have them on my car, I don't have a death wish, and as such, I have skin in the game... my conclusion was most of it is mindless b.s. with relatively few facts from people involved in the situation.

Regarding TUV > they seem to have PSA testing certificates on their site: http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels...l/testdata.php and frankly STL testing in the US is what I would trust more than TUV... at the end of the day STL/JWL, etc are all the same **** with different letters. If the wheel passes on a destruction stand at STL in California it's not like it would've failed on the same stand at JWL or TUV.

Regarding MHT tooling... who cares? They haven't hid that and post about that on their own blog and have since the beginning. ADV.1 engineers the files... whether or not they own the mill that runs the program has no effect on quality. I'm not sure why leasing time from a reputable company like MHT that is responsible for building most of the aftermarket wheels in the U.S. is all of a sudden a detriment? I'd rather have a company with decades of experience run the milling programs than some dude in a shed with one machine.

It does look like MHT screwed up on the assembly flange and double drilled it. But you'll note there is no structural damage or fatigue on the bolt holes anywhere... ie it wasn't a safety issue. Regardless - probably not the best thing to ship out but again not a safety issue.

Anyway - sorry to thread jack. I just don't jump on this ADV.1 sucks cuz some dude's cousins aunts mailsman says they're wheels blow arguments that seem to be the fashionable bandwagon lately.

Last edited by LegitLifeStyle; 08-27-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A car
Originally Posted by LegitLifeStyle

This thread isn't about HRE but we do want to clarify some information here:

The rim supplier in question is in fact HRE’s rim supplier and although we have never experienced this type of failure (after thousands of wheels) we were obviously greatly concerned. Our engineering team evaluated our risk for this type of failure, performing additional fatigue testing and determined that with our center design and specifications for manufacture and assembly that there was no expectation we would experience a similar failure. Basically our evaluation leads us to believe that problem is not associated with the rim itself.

At the end of the day, for HRE it doesn't matter where the issue occurs. The wheel has our name on it so we will take responsibility for it regardless of whether the issue occurs in our manufacturing facility here in Vista or with one of our material suppliers so we take any potential issues like this seriously.

As for SAE/JWL/TUV they are all the same type of tests but they use different loads and cycles so HRE chooses to use TUV because we feel this has the most difficult standards and you have to be very careful as the load ratings from one standard don't match the load ratings from another. For instance TUV at 650kg is equivalent to something more like 735kg in JWL and over 800kg in SAE. What is important is understanding what load level matches what vehicle. Just because you have test document that shows you passed 650kg SAE, that doesn't mean you can put it on a vehicle that needs 650kg TUV.

Last edited by HRE_Wheels; 08-27-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM

MB
It's nice to see a company take responsibility for their product, even if it is a supplier that MAY have messed up. It's still the ADV name on the wheel, and they haven't taken care of these customers at all. It's also good to know the load ratings are not the same between the different organizations.

I have no issue with a wheel made at MHT. My point was, ADV emphysized they use MHT's facility to make THEIR WHEEL THEY "DESIGNED." Obviously not engineered. Then they want to blame a supplier for the issues??? But I thought they were just using their tools and made the wheel themselves?
It's not just a bandwagon against ADV. You have to look at the BODY OF WORK they've produced going back to 360Forged. They ripped so many people off while they were posting pics of their Ferrari's, Porsche Turbos, Z06's, and new VERY modern office space on the 6Speed. ADV is still banned on 6Speed because some people are still screwed from 360Forged. You can't even post a thread showing all those links because you can't mention ADV at all there, even in a negative light.

Legit, there's nothing I can say that will change your mind because you own the wheels. I have no beef against or for ADV. I'm just looking at the body of work they've produced. To be clear, I think their wheels and especially 360Forged wheels were some of the best wheels ever made.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: My ADV1s are here! + TPMS question